Are any modern laptops good?

Despite it being a Sup Forums meme, older Thinkpads are legitimately good, especially for the price. I have an x230 and think it's great.

In several years though, or even now if someone wants to spend more money, are there any non completely trash options? Everything is either 8lbs and a gamer laptop, extremely thin and light for no real reason, or some intel atom convertible trash.

I feel like even if I wanted to spend 3 or 4 times what my X230 cost me, there would be nothing that is even that good. The XPS line is maybe the most talked about modern laptop here but those are pretty expensive and apparently have GPU death problems and such. What the fuck are my options.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LYDp96Jl0iM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Suicide is always an option

I went through the search for a new laptop last year. Tried out new gen thinkpads, the XPS 13 and even a macbook. Ended up returning or reselling all of them and bought a cheap acer before anything better comes up, funnily enough I feel like the cheap acer has the least flaws of all of them.

I own a Thinkpad, but I might be cheating in the near future. Pic very related.

What Acer model did you get? I own an old Macbook Air as well and would consider Apple (at least a slightly older used one, fuck their new model prices) if mac OS wasn't getting shittier with each new version. And also their keyboards keep getting worse.

Never looked heavily into Acer models but I assume build quality is not that great.

Aspire 5, was also considering the Swift 5 which is 13.3", more compact and likely better built but it only comes with a glossy screen

Build quality is okay, but it's still a cheap consumer grade laptop so you can't expect much. Palmrest and area about the keyboard are aluminium while the rest is plastic.

the swift 5 for comparison

Isn't this 14"? A bit big for what I was looking for, but seems ok.

Gigabyte Aero 14

Xiaomi Mi Air 15 (new gen)

I won't bother with a new laptop until 7nm ryzen mobile hopefully offers some tangible efficiency benefits over current CPUs. until then my T520 will do just fine.

The new latitudes are pretty sweet. Nice build, decent specs.

I like my Thinkpad P50 but it's massive overkill for most people. I'd recommend waiting for the A285/A485 with Ryzen APUs.

Batteries are a meme but laptops are good, intel hq+gtx

Get a Purism!

>Intel chips
Nope, dropped.

if you want to upgrade from an old thinkpad, just get a newer thinkpad
also, the acer travelmate are good looking, but quality and comfort are still below a thinkpad

I got a T410 not long ago for $130. I fucking love this thing, my most treasured possession.

I'm definitely going to be getting another thinkpad soon. Which one should I get? I want something a little bigger/thicker(no homo).

i got a E531, love it, not too little, not too big, a bit heavy tho
if you want something more recent and got the money, go for a P51

T510 is literally a giant T410

t520 , It is amazing.

x230t, it's fucking fun as fucking fuck

ur path = blocked

Fellow x230 owner here. Since the trend in laptops is to remove features and make hardware generally shitty, it doesn't seem plausible to continue buying devices in the same class (like x270 or whatever is latest now). I'm thinking about waiting a few more years and buying some used convertible. You would lose features with any new hardware anyway, so why not give in and at least get some new cool stuff instead, like tablet mode, stylus, thin bezels...and better screen than x230t
Then change ultradock for some hip Type-C one-cable-rules-them-all dock and you are good to go.

You can check them by the model name. T410 has a 4 in the beginning meaning 14" screen. 10 after that means generation, next one being 20 and so on. T series is pretty good, W series is big and heavy, X series is small and lightweight. T510 would be the same generation as yours but larger screen. I would skip generation 40, the one before that is nicer. I have an X230, T410 and T430.

Xiaomi notebook pro

Enough said.

I own a thinkpad yoga and it's a piece of shit. Only two legacy usb ports, full sized hdmi port which is nice (I use projectors a bit at work), touchpad is so shitty that I disabled it and only used the nipple.. Battery life is okayish, linux support is quite bad, screen is a let down even though I paid $300 more for my yoga compared to surface pro 3 which I had earlier..

I also have/have had an older thinkpad yoga, x230, x61, t60, some other thinkpads and cheaper laptops. Lenovo's support is so abysmal I'll never buy a new thinkpad from them again.

So I shouldn't buy the new E480?

If you know where to look, you can find some quality laptop builders here and there.

So, how about an older getac laptop? Rugged, cheap, thicc

getac v110 gen1
> $250 on ebay
> removable batteries (you can hotswap them)
> win10/linux support
> removable ssd caddy for 2*m2 ssds
> ethernet jack
> touchscreen with a stylus
> upgradeable ram

and the keyboard feels a tad better than on my thinkpad. Touchpad isn't good but supports two finger gestures at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=LYDp96Jl0iM

My laptop died. Looking for something to play games on (I’m out of the house a lot). What do you all recommend?

10 miles north from Portland

60/10 from xfinity
65USD

>So I shouldn't buy the new E480?

that keyboard and touchpad look a lot like mine on my yoga. Of course yoga's keyboard is different as it locks when you flip the screen so it can't be fully the same.. but my yoga's keyboard wasn't honestly good to type on. I mean I paid $1500 for it and didn't really feel that I got what I paid for.

Anyway, personally I'd refrain from getting cheaper new thinkpads and get an used for the same price if you don't need the support. You know that cheaper laptop's have to cut costs at something. Maybe it's the battery or screen quality.

Did anyone own a gateway back in the day?
With one of those silly moocow boxes?

Gateway was pretty popular back in the day... Most anyone into computers had one if they weren't gen z.

Wow, man, thank you. I've learned a lot in your post, I never understood what the numbers meant.

Yeah man, my T420 does its job just fine. I can't imagine spending over 400 dollars on a newer laptop. For anything too intensive I have a monster of a PC at home.

mostly disabled Intel on-chip spyware
>dropped
completely untouched AMD on-chip spyware
>gimme!
fanbois, when will they learn

p series is great, so is x series.

Dell XPS is a solid choice

How about the x270?
Might pick one up in the next few days.

I really like my X1 Yoga. Great screen and keyboard and ~7 hours browsing and using office suite.

i'm also looking for something I can do some light gaming on, not looking to spend over $500.

Personally I'm waiting to see business class laptops (not "gamer" laptops) featuring AMD's new Pro Mobile chips. After Intel's multiple security debacles lately, I'm ready to make the switch. It would be nice to have something lighter than my Thinkpad with a removable battery and more interfaces than a USB-C port or two and something a little more desirable than chiclet keys... god damn why are ultra-portibles so terrible.

I'm planning on eventually upgrading to the T450s because:
-Trackpoint
-1080p IPS with very good colourspace coverage
-basically same dimensions as my x301, almost as thin.
-940M is honestly pretty good for a laptop.
-great battery

How good is that pice of shit?

That hinge looks like a piece of dogshit, which all acer computers are

>no keyboard bezel

Describe your perfect and attainable by manufacturers, laptop.

>360 hinge
>Touchscreen
>14"
>Linux support
>16GB ram
>Good CPU
>Multiple Usb-c (plus port 'dock' as standard)
>Under £1000

Gigabyte Aero 14 is what I'm close to pulling the trigger on.

Two variants, one with 1050ti and one with 1060. The price difference is almost negligible, with a range of $100-$150.

Im going for the 1060 as there seems to be a 20-30% performance difference.

Check it out.

Just give me a fucking T420 with a Ryzen Mobile 2700, an IPS screen, a couple USB C ports, and SSD standard. Like what else do you even need? Hell you could even ditch the CD drive these days to do whatever.

T470s with a better keyboard and trackpad.

X200 with 120GB SSD and 4GB of ram, running Debian 9

/thread

>about 15"
>IPS screen
>1080p or higher
>16:10
>thicc and robust
>big battery
>2 USB-C ports, bunch of normal Type A 3.1
>displayport for external screens
>ethernet socket
>good keyboard
>Ryzen 2700U

>older Thinkpads are legitimately good
Yeah, the ones with the more square screen aspect ratio are excellent. Not great for watching video but they're the absolute best for programming and for image board browsing. Nothing can really compare. Newer displays are fine but they're a bit too stretched out. Not really then end of the world for me though. The only disadvantage of using an older ThinkPad is that they're slow as shit, even for day to day use. The Core2 models barely handle 1080p video and they get hot when you try to run a modern browser with 10+ Sup Forums tabs. Forget running any kind of demanding software on them, or getting any kind of decent battery life out of them. I use my Libreboot X60 with Fedora for shitposting at home a lot, and I have an R60 with Windows XP that I use for some really old games. I've also got a Libreboot T400 but that just sort of hangs around as my backup freetard machine in case my X60 breaks down and I need something that respects muh freedumbs.

>I have an x230 and think it's great
Yeah, same here. It has a backlit keyboard with a trackpoint, a 2.6 GHz dual core CPU, 12GB of RAM, two USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0 port, VGA, mini DisplayPort, an SD card reader, a headphone jack, an Ethernet port, and a battery that lasts 12+ hours. It even has two SSDs, with my main full sized SATA one in the main bay that's 256GB and it gets full SATA3 speeds, and then there's a 500GB mSATA in there that runs at SATA2 speeds, which is still decent. I literally have no reason to upgrade and there's not really anything better out there.

Only reason why I'm considering a switch is because of the Intel bugs. I might toss a grand at a ThinkPad A275 with an AMD mobile chip. I'm getting a BIOS update on Feb 2nd, according to the Lenovo website, so I'll see how bad the performance hit is. Haven't noticed anything in Windows 10 LTSB after updating, but CPU microcode is an entirely different beast.

Nevar a meme, always remembar

A275 is pre Ryzen. Wait for A285.

Do you think there will be a significant improvement with Ryzen? Because the A275 is already more than enough for what I'd be using it for and it's priced really competitively.

Killing yourself

Design and build new internals for your thinkpad matchine. Most of the ports in the chassis are backwards compatible with new ones after the t40.

Certainly at least thermals / battery life.

Waiting for this myself as long as it doesnt end up too gimped

Buy a dell precision M6600 and put in a cheap M290x mxm gpu.

Modern Thinkpads are better than older Thinkpads.

Don't fall for the Sup Forums memes, they are just jealous because they can't afford one.

Are there still modern MxM GPUs being released? I know there's a PowerPC laptop "coming soon" that uses it.

Most of the older Gen Z kids have used one at some point, I know I sure did

If your going for under 500 modern isnt really where you should be looking. The only laptops i know of with mxm that are still in production are the thinkpad P50 (type A) and P70 (type B) but they are both bios locked to only use quadro mxm modules. I know MSI and Clevo also use mxm in their higher end laptops.

I got a surplus laptop from my uni (an HP EliteBook with Windows 7) and I really like it. The only downside is that it can't run some newer games and it's battery like isn't the best, but it's built like a truck.

>battery like isn't the best
You can probably buy a new battery cheap, 3rd party is fine.

51nb, forthcoming X210 and X310.
ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25
And there's a Huehue or something with a 3:2. MacBook-tier on the ports, though.

>completely untouched AMD on-chip spyware
Yes, AMD PSP. But now that AMD is more popular with people that matter than it was previously, the motive now exists to do a psp_cleaner. Just give it time.

>XPS 13
Yes, the new one is like they saw the hate Apple got over having one port and said, "we want some of that".

>How about the x270?
I kind of wish they'd bring the X230 style back as either a 'T2(or3)90' or an 'X2(or3)90p' (p for powerbridge). 3:2 panels are READILY AVAILABLE at those sizes, it would be beautiful.

>Describe your perfect and attainable by manufacturers, laptop.
AE25 but with ports on the back, where they belong, like the X300 and T4s's. And, speaking of those models, a taller screen.

>X200
There's literally nothing to lose by going X201 over X200. Faster, faster card reader even, can swap the 200 palmrest on if you really hate the trackpad that much. Actually, add an 's' to that - non-s older ThinkPads ALL eventually experience the problem of the radio window peeling off from the main part of the lid. On the *s models, the whole lid is radio window, so that doesn't happen.

>about 15"
>16:10
At 15", 16:9 is actually fine. 16:10 *might* perceptibly be better, I dunno, but it would double the cost.

>Design and build new internals for your thinkpad matchine.
This. 51nb does it, but I wish somebody was doing ones that are more open-source... pic related btw.

I have the AE25 and love it dearly, but it really breaks my heart that the screen is so short, actually.

linus did a video about how many of them broke down after he gave them out to his staff for christmas. it is like a 50/50 shot there is not something slightly wrong with it or worse.

A lot of the recommendations here are for 14" laptops. What is the best modern 12-13"? Something that is a Thinkpad X series replacement?

I could get a used X260 or X270 but I'd have to buy a new screen to do the upgrade.

>51nb, forthcoming X210 and X310.

Honestly I would buy one of these but I'm not spending 1000 USD on a diy chinese product. Too risk for me to lose that. Wouldn't even be that bad if they took paypal or something with protections but I have to do a bank transfer? nah.

Woah. Never realized that's what the numbers meant. Thanks man

" decoder ring" is the search term you want.

no

Xiaomi mibook air, yes

A285 when it comes out.

Can't wait to spend 2200usd on it.

too good to be true

I have minor touchpad issues running Linux Mint with the Synaptic drivers. the touchpad spazzes out every hour or so and I have to wipe my hand across the touchpad or wait it out. Libinput drivers also suck since you can't adjust sensitivity, only acceleration.

Anyone have a laptop with an offcenter touchpad? Is it annoying as fuck?

they're all crap

>13+ inch screen
>18 hour battery life
>linux support
>mechanical keyboard

yo, does anyone have the predator helios 300? if so, is it good?

sounds like something I'd market to 12 year olds who want to buy guns

X310? as in new X301, right? Tell me more!

nigga just buy these japanese panasonics like DF6 or something like that, they're cool as heck.

The specs are great for the price, but the design is your typical edgy gamer shit. I needed a laptop for work so I got the Dell 7577 instead. Similar screen, better keyboard, more ports, and lower price at only a slight decrease in performance. I can still play most games at 1080p 60fps with high or ultra settings. If your first priority is gaming and you're on a budget then go for the Helios, but if you have other priorities then I'd definitely recommend the 7577.

i miss this company. had an nv series and it lasted like 7 years before the mobo died. bretty gud considering i got it for free

Just ordered one for 140, new big battery for 30. I7 quad core niggaaaa

I have the same laptop and I'm liking it a lot. That said, my eyes have been feeling a lot more tired since I started using it, and I'm coming from a 15-inch laptop with the same display specs (IPS screen, 1080p). Am I crazy?

>bretty gud considering i got it for free
There's still time for you to give it back, Jamal.
It's not too late.

For $140? Where did you order from?

I'm using T460s I got last March. Love the thing.

Yeah I just need to get around to it. It's not too big a deal since I usually keep it plugged in.

The best part was that since it was surplus I got it for just $140 with barely any Windows bloatware. It even had LibreOffice installed.

I know this is more of a /tpg/ question but what would be the best way to increase performance and/or memory? The model is 8460p, pic related

The Alienware 13 is only 4lbs and very upgradable. It even has one of the cheapest external GPU enclosures. Everyone will say it's trash though because it's an Alienware. It's actually amazing.

Suicide is not an option, it's the answer.

How good are the E480 and the E580?

I think they are being phased out for hybrids.

>yoba