Throttling is a feature. -apple

that's pretty much every notebook made after 2013

You mean Intel*
Yes, it's an actual feature.

Apple throttles beyond Intel's specs.
>Yes, it's an actual feature
Nah. It's just abuse.

okay

What's with the huge gap between batteries?
Wasted almost 10w of battery space there.

Why is everything soldered and glued in?
Seems like a bad design to me.

Throttling is a feature. It's designed to do so.
Apple does not throttle beyond Intel's specs, the steps are CPU and chipset specific, Apple shit just overheats a lot and forces it to throttle a lot.

>Apple shit just overheats a lot and forces it to throttle a lot.
It's a feature, so it's okay.

Macbros, is it safe to upgrade to High Sierra yet? Still on 10.12.6 on a 2014 rMBP

The same workloads that would cause a Macbook to get hot and throttle would cause any laptop to get hot and throttle, including the beloved Thinkpad T420. It's a limitation of the form factor along with poorly coded software.

>The same workloads that would cause a Macbook to get hot and throttle would cause any laptop to get hot and throttle, including the beloved Thinkpad T420.
You have never used a T420 if you think this statement is true.

Liar.

Now upgrade the SSD while I take time. Also after a year or two you might think you want more RAM. Better change the case, motherboard, screen, batteries, keyboard, touchpad, webcam and so on. Luckily there are better options still out there.

tfw have laptop from 2013:
upgradeable cpu, ram, storage and replaceable battery

I see these threads from time to time when I feel I can stomach the shitstorm of genz bullshit on Sup Forums these days. I wonder what the fuck happened that something being black and relatively symmetrical means good or beautiful design?

It looks like shit because it is shit. So many proprietary parts for the sake of being proprietary. Can't fix it, can't clean it, designed to fail trash.

This looks much nicer, and is accessible by removing just one screw from the bottom panel. Can replace 2.5 inch drive, m2 drive, WLAN card and ram easily

surface pro 3 i7

so much copper

good cooling design is the most important thing to me in ultrabook/surface type applications. hp spectre 2016 was going to be my next, but the cooling is trash. i dont get over like 118f stress testing with this i7, and lower when undervolting

Here's a older Purism Librem (not mine, from youtube).

surface 4s somehow cool i3 fully passively, the i5 and i7 get a fan in top right

top left*

chuwi hi13 internals. fucking TRASH

I find it funny that any Surface guts shot means the computer itself is destroyed

>just rolling over and accepting end user hostility from manufacturers

maybe if you don't know what you're doing, but i'm posting with that exact machine right now

reminds me of a friend of mine replacing the paste on his ayylmaoware laptop
he had a bowl of screws before the keyboard comes out
my thinkpad only needs 3

That's why I buy old thinpads.

>heatpipe goes directly next to battery

>fucking TRASH
Spray paint it black and it will look better than anything Apple did.

Look they even taped the ribbon cablees so they wouldn't shake loose, apple doesnt do that

not THAT exact machine, but the pro 3 i posted before it

To use the battery as a heat dissipator?

you say that untill you pull the tape off the the ribbon cable rips in half. did that with a brand new ipad display back in the day

Backdoored?

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to combine lithium-ion batteries and excessive heat

Naw, the T420 just overheats and powers itself down while performing basic tasks such as streaming video. ~Multiple T410, 420 owner.

my T420 and X220T get hot but don't throttle
my T420 is the NVS version as well

I own and use one every day and it is absolutely true.

Yup that's been my experience

spectre 2016 has odd cooling that i wouldn't trust. the fans aren't directly on the heatsink and it's relying on negative pressure to pull air through it... and so, it throttles and gets hotter than even smaller devices. fan ON the heatsink or don't bother

surface pro 2017 somehow pulls off cooling both the i3 and i5 models passively, only the i7 gets a fan. from reviews, it seems to work very well which surprised me. a lot of heat comes through the display on my sp3 already, when i took the lcd off i could see patterns in the metal from the hot areas. i wonder how well a lcd works as a heatsink?

Are there 3rd party cooling manufacturers that make cooling upgrades for Apple computers?

>somehow pulls off cooling both the i3 and i5 models passively
>somehow
Turns out if you throttle it, then it produces way less heat.

the i5s can do 25wtdp stably at like 148f after 15 mins

*real shitty

Poorfags in shambles

>Sony VAIO
>sony

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

Disgusting

My probook peaks in the 70s celcius (depending on ambient temperature) and doesn't throttle.

it looks like an angry jewish robot with a unibrow

This is how insufficient cooling looks like.
Very small SMD on black pcb, where you can't see traces, and proprietary BIOS (SMC) without firmware...

Not quite. On majority of laptops you can change RAM, SSD, and HDD.
Yes, CPU is soldered, but fuck this

can't unsee

>jewish

kek well played

*blocks your parh*

>soldered cpu
>soldered ram
>basically every laptop since 2013 has done this

This isn't true in the slightest. Get out of your apple bubble, faggot.

>not 60fps by default
>overheats
>says they fix problems they didnt fix
>says they fix problems again, still not fixed
>randomly resets your password
>water stickers inside the case, plus pressure switches for detecting if the customer opened them
>non-replaceable battery unless you want to have a mess of glued in foam in the bottom of the case
>cheap flimsy cables, prone to breaking and damage from just sitting while plugged in
>no real USB port in the new models
>$70+ to buy another component
>thunderbolt is as useless as displayport, nothing has it unless you buy it specifically for that
>cant even flash ME out of the firmware using software
0/10
overpriced chinese garbage