What's your opinion on lua?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/issues/45
github.com/dbohdan/embedded-scripting-languages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A cute!

Lua fit it's own original purpose: Lightweight script language for another program. LuaJIT is a great experiment with interesting results: Torch Framework is well crafted

Actually, it's nice to see one language that doesn't try to be everything. It keep the things small.

Has a few bizarre design decisions but is probably better overall than old JS, and certainly far more clean.

The simple and effective C API shows how fucking awful most scripting languages' APIs are.

>The simple and effective C API shows how fucking awful most scripting languages' APIs are.
This. Also how terrible C (and by extension C++ almost equally) is at metaprogramming.

used to write wow addons in it.
its actually a pretty clean language.

It's not bad, and with something like Moon script it's actually pretty good

C + LuaJIT FFI = comfy

>C + LuaJIT FFI = enjoy your backdoor
I'm curious, though, did Mike Pall found a successor?

github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/issues/45

So, that's this, then.
Oh well, relying on a hardware hack to make it possible to flee from C into a scriptshit isn't the best software engineering anyway.

I would like to know how to program Lua, Pico 8, TIC-80 Computer, Neko8 use it, but I never focus on anything for more than five minutes

I want the ternary operator, bring me that god damn motherfucking C shit to me. (I know "and or" (but false fucks it up), wrapping with a function (but evaluates arguments) or even uglier with an anonymous inner function that I'm stuck with another if-statement)
TIC-80 supports JavaScript if you'd like to golf your scripts (except Duktape doesn't support ES6 yet sadly).

Why can't we just use something with similar to Lua which has C-syntax?
I don't want to start with 1 for the first index of arrays for example.

Is alright. Slow but good for what it does.

"Ultimately, Lua is accepted as the number one of the more powerful splendid scripting backends" like shut the fuck up, it makes you want to make your own compiler.

Literally 100% of the time I get angry at Lua it's because Awesome changed the API again and broke my rice. It's very nice everywhere else I've used it.

Despite being fast at runtime, the language and its standard lib are a bit too basic. I never managed to be particularly productive with it.

As such, it's a somewhat unpleasant tool for small hacks as far as I'm concerned.

It's okay for being too basic? It's meant to be a small language after all. But I do agee it's unpleasant to use for a bit more complicated stuff you'd do in other languages.

ffi.new(int[?], 42)

Jesus Chrst.

> It's okay for being too basic?
I virtually never can justify using it because it's so unproductive overall.

I'm not sure that really is "okay" in that sense, but I guess YMMV.

>TIC-80 supports JavaScript
thanks, user, good to know, but I don't even know how to program JavaScript.
I tried C, C++, Python, Assembly, and everything else even with a lot of tutorials and etc, it's very hard to keep focus on anything that I think I enjoy

You mean, like about 2/3 of the other zillion embedded scripting languages out there?
It's not like I'm stopping you, user...
github.com/dbohdan/embedded-scripting-languages

Also, you can always create one yourself.

ITT: People that should have loaded DLLs instead.

almost but not quite da best

It's easy to learn and it allows me to extend/modify my awesome wm.

Using Lua by itself doesn't really make sense, but it's neat to use with a C(+) program to get the benefit of "instant" code reloading while developing/testing, especially for visual stuff like gaymes.

the problem could be that you're focusing on learning languages (tools) without thinking why you're doing it - what is it you actually want to make.

if that's not the case and you simply struggle to maintain focus, give Modafinil a go.