/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

schiit.com/products/wall-warts
schiit.com/products/floor-wart
youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
ethanwiner.com/audiophoolery.html
ethanwiner.com/believe.html
amazon.com/Audio-Expert-Everything-Need-About-ebook/dp/B00ABLEF4A/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who else has these beauties?

those are some realistic anime feets

Earpads look too small to be truly circumaural. Is that the case?

I own the mee audio pinnacle p1, would the etymotic er4xr be an upgrade/sidegrade?
Also i've read the er4xr uses some filters that need to be change from time to time, how often would i need to change them?

Nope. Fits very well for me, but I think I have smaller ears than average. But nevertheless they fit smoothly. Only problem I have with them is that the tension on the connecting bar (what do you even call those) between the pads is pretty high, giving you a headache after few hours of use. I'm too afraid of loosing it up in case I break it...

Otherwise, the mid-tones are amazing, not so much bass tones fortunately and overall amazing design. I went for the wired version.

How much to copy this setup?

idiots

Any of you guys own MSR7's with new pads? I hear anything other than stock just fucks up the sound

just bought msr7 cause my m50x broke

Yo Sup Forums. Lookong for new headphones. Recommend me sub $50 headphones. Thanks.

unless you have access to measurements with all other fitting pads, no such generalization can be made

>I went for the wired version.
Like Guinness, always a good decision.

SHP9500S on Newegg.

I was posting in the last thread about needing either in ear headphones with lightning or bluetooth since I use an iPhone. Someone reccomended me airpods which i am not sure was sarcasm or not but I found these: Libratone Q-Adapt in-ear.

Are they any good?

I've been considering going to the upcoming Canjam.
Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

Thousands

Best IEMs for gym use?
Under $200
Neutral or warm with good soundstage

these are the best 12 bucks money can buy

it comes from people who have switched their pds and reported sound alternations after the new pads are installed

>Budget
Under $60
>Location
USA, East Coast
>Source
iPhone SE
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Depends on the sound quality, but comfort is obviously a plus.
>Sound signature
Bassy preferred.

Airpods

KZ ZS6 + triple flange tips

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Update: MSR7 was bright AF because of a faulty 1/8 to 1/4 jack adapter. Sounds completely different (and better, actually pretty good) otherwise.

>he thinks his jack adapter changed the sound of his headphones
you ok idol trash ?

Why do you think the Magni 3 costs only $100?

schiit.com/products/wall-warts

Not him. If you move your jack around you can get it to produce a weird, out of phase sound missing some bass when you get the connection just right (just wrong?). That's what he was experiencing.

all pads alter the sound quality
doesn't necessarily mean it gets worse

These look good, but do you really have to wear them like this? Would they fall out constantly if you didn't wrap it around your ear?

It's also to reduce cable microphonics.
That is the absolute correct way to wear IEMs.

Yeah I wear them like that. They don't fall out. You don't need the guide though, just put the cable over your ear and wiggle them in.

>cable microphonics
IEM and cables aren't microphonic. Why do people call it that?

Normally would be very unsubtle, extensive low-mid cancellation. But he is an idiot, so it's not like this is wholly unexpected.

don't you be mean to my idol fucker friend

Best lightning connector headphones under 200?

$0.30 lightning to jack adapter + good standard headphones

>New World Symphony
My feels

I guess my question is are they manufactured specifically for over-the-ear wearing or can they be worn with the cable hanging down without discomfort.

It's the correct way to wear them, but not because of cable microphonics.

>The problem in headphone wires is simply transmission of normal sound vibration through a 1-dimensional solid into a small sealed air volume, just like in a tin-can telephone. Certainly no electricity is involved.

he looks so happy and delighted to listen to music, why aren't we all like him?

its an ac wall wart tho not dc

Yeah I don't think they work too well cable down.

Some of us are, but that requires the ability to enjoy your stuff without worrying too much about what other think about it, that's the main problem for most posters here, they must defend their shit to death and attack anything else.

I'd dislike listening to music too if I owned Schiit gear or chinkshit.

As opposed to not even owning headphones and just shitting threads up.

Powered by China, the same way the United States is

schiit.com/products/floor-wart

>no cable strain relief

lol enjoy your broken wires

volume should be set to 125% or whatever the limit is in VLC by default

t. audio-chinked retard

Steal His Sound

Headphones: HD800 - $930
Tube Amp: Emmeline II - $2,495 (estimated)
DAC: Lavry DA11 - $1480
Cables: $600 (estimated)
Player: VLC $0
Music: youtube-mp3.com $0

This, everyone post your setup and say why you are happy with it for a change.

the same as always
been looking at Stax headphones recently, might go full-on wapanese in the next few months

Thoughts on these?

This is Schiit gear

He looks like he is in pain.

I need the original vid please, this looks too hilarious

m-muh fashionphones

Feels good owning chinkshit

>tfw listening to your favorite music in 128 kbps mp3 format

youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

He's actually in pain (in fact, overreacting for fun). Shitty overpriced headphones.

here's my portable setup idol trash!
i got some kz zs6s recently and im liking them so far but theyre a bit uncomfortable. i tried those triple flange tips on my m6 pro and i didnt like them either. i ordered some spin fits hopefully thatll make them more comfortable

May I know your opinion on the Etymotic MK5?

I'm ok. It's not a little different, but utter garbage. The sort of different you can blind-test it's different with your headphones on the desk, not even on your head. The jack makes bad contact with the msr7 cable. It's just that bad of an adapter.
I got it for free (a friend made the mistake of buying 5 of this shit, not worth shipping back), but it's literally worthless. I keep in the hopes they'll have some purpose at some point (eg: maybe some cable clicks in and then they're ok).

The wallwart is AC, and unlike the DC ones, the chink can make good AC wallwarts dirt cheap.

>Made in USA
>Made in China
I'm getting mixed messages here

Nice. I'm actually enjoying msr7 now that the bass area isn't absent.

>260kbps

Whether I'm audio-chinked or not doesn't change the fact that you don't even own headphones, let alone amp.

What would your choice be out of the following headphones:

ZMF Atticus ~€1300
Focal Clear €1500
Focal Elear €800
Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow open €900
Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow closed €900

Opinions on these cans?

I'd get a Stax

Fundamentally flawed. Modifications can help alleviate the problem, but not eliminate it. I hope you still enjoy it, but consider selling it to upgrade at some point

i said headphones not earspeakers

Are M50X really that bad?? They're insanely popular but people seem to hate them

are (You) happy now?

Thread reminder to never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality and performance

head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

Ety sound, Ety isolation, deep fit. Narrow body makes this easier.
It has more treble than the HF5, which tends to slope off. The MK5 sound is much closer to the ER4S.
I tend to like a cable over-ear fit, and between the tension in the cable and the angle the connector protrudes, this can be a little difficult. Come to think of it, this a problem with a lot of Etys.
It's not very sensitive, but at least a fair margin more than the ER4S.
What else?

A CSD is the wrong way to demonstrate any issues you have with the M1060.

>A CSD is the wrong way to demonstrate any issues you have with the M1060.
It illustrates the issue

Can anyone explain to me what sample rate is? Forgive my stupidity. Are higher sample rates better? Should I just set the default sample rate to the highest setting?

cute feet

Read up on nyquist theorem.

>build quality gone to hell
>worst stateside customer support in the industry
>"sponsors" a bunch of audio forums (aka, pays off the site to take down critical/negative posts)
>army of "baby's first headphone stack" shitheads fondling their nuts and drowning out any critical discussion of their products
>idiotic too-cool-for-school marketing blurbs
>lol if you think that silver crap looks good

You understand that there is no company in the USA that makes transformers for that application right? You'd have a hard time getting one the Jap companies too make one also.

Recently bought some V-Moda Crossfade Wireless II's, upgrading from a pair of breaking V-Moda M100's. I thought it might be worth it to upgrade since it says their sound was actually *better* on their website, and what I read seemed to say they were pretty good for a wireless upgrade. When I got the pair though, I noticed that their volume seemed weaker in wireless mode compared to wired mode, and there seems to be some sort of quiet, but still immersion-breaking crinkling sound. Sounds like a soda can getting slowly crushed, but much less intense. Should I just return them for another pair or go back to the M100's.

Aeon closed

You can't buy that smugness.

What device is this? Is it good?

Anyone?

I was (half) joking, lighten up

How's the CMA600 with the Senns?

>Can anyone explain to me what sample rate is?
Take the waveform of your music signal. At evenly spaced time intervals, record(sample) the value of the waveform at that moment in time. The rate that you take values is the sampling rate.
Redbook audio defines sampling at the 4*9*25*49 times per second.

>Are higher sample rates better?
Once you have the signal spectrum of interest, no.
We should distinguish the sample rate of the audio data and the sample rate the converter operates at. These are usually different in practice.

>Should I just set the default sample rate to the highest setting?
Best to just have it match input rate.

shanling m2s. i think its pretty good. battery life could be better i get around 8 hours. it has bluetooth and can act as a receiver too.

good neutral closed cans for about £50 lads

what's the sennheiser 201 of the £50 range

What's a good PMP that isn't ugly or cheap crap? FiiO's players are ugly as hell.

There is no audible benefit to ultra high sample rates. Just leave it at 16/44.1, 24/44.1, or 32/44.1, as almost all of your music will be 44.1kHz.

I recommend giving both of these a read:
ethanwiner.com/audiophoolery.html
ethanwiner.com/believe.html

Good read. I pirated his his book in ebook format too, but I haven't actually taken a look at it yet. This one: amazon.com/Audio-Expert-Everything-Need-About-ebook/dp/B00ABLEF4A/
I guess I could upload it if anyone here wants to read it.

How much money and what equipment should I look at to experience the "Best".

yes

HD600

About 1500 for beats and and iphone