Are all laptop keyboards flimsy nowadays?

Are all laptop keyboards flimsy nowadays?

Thin, cheap, durable. Pick two.

honestly i just want something less than 13" thats durable, dont really care about the other two metrics

Come visit us at >>>/tpg/ , we have you covered.

Thin and durable. What's available?

>that thin std layer of slime on public keyboards

Yes.

Laptops used to be production workhorses.
Men used to type for hours on them.

Now they're fagbook and botflix machines.

Business-class ultrabooks.

order thinkerpad
make your life easier

Yes, they're all shit. Since laptops must be portable they've been shrunk to the extreme and all the space the keyboard can get is half the width of a human hair, so they end up being filmsy with no travel at all; it's almost better to use a touch screen. We have the technology to fit an entire powerful computer in the space between the bottom of the case and the metal plate of a Model M, but we still have no C64-like portable computer.

keyboards look the same as all the other lenovo consumer shit though, but i have never physically tried one so i may be wrong

New ThinkPad keyboards have less flex than the old ones.

even the thinkpad keyboards flex or whateveryou call it. they are in the case with few tiny knobs that go under the plastic

Thinkpads, Dell Latitudes are far from flimsy.

Nope

you lied
they're still cheap chink crap

here's an actual decent laptop keyboard

its because they put a desktop keyboard in a laptop case

Too bad everyone else making laptops is too stupid to do it

Gonna be getting this piece of shit at work.

Only gamers are willing to put up with that bulky bs. The rest of us have taste and actually leave the house with our laptops.

i really really like the surface keyboard. it's weird how well it feels compared to how shit it looks

I leave the house with my laptop and would prefer a "gaming" laptop with an actual keyboard and decent battery life while doing regular shit over thin and flimsy hipster crap any day.

I hate gamer aesthetics but they're the only ones actually making decent laptops.

Surface keyboard has great feel and good travel distance it is almost weird

Even the vast majority of gamers aren't interested in a giant laptop when a desktop is better and cheaper. The only people these laptops make sense for are those who have to fly every few weeks or months but leave the laptop set up in one place in between, like college students in dorms or architects/engineers who stay near a building site until it's done and then move to the next one or whatever.

I think it's down to how they're made using thin wire for the key hinges and stamped aluminum for the frame. This is a sp3 keyboard that I killed

>2 specks of dust get trapped in the keys
>time to replace the entire computer

* Dell XPS is a well built, high spec laptop
* Asus Zenbooks make superior and long lasting laptops.
* Macbook pro's have good build quality.
* HP and Compaq have notoriously given me grief my whole life (since 1996-2018)

I'm not a Windows/Linux/Mac pleb, I use them all, I hate them all equally.

I think fan boys are missing out on some great things a world of headaches. Your loss and your win fagggots.

i tried the XPS in a store and thought the keyboard was no better than my yoga 11. and the only apple keyboards i tried were the flat desktop ones, idk if the laptops feel the same way.
i haven't tried asus

I have one and it's fucking terrible. Probably *the* worst keyboard I've ever used.

>i haven't tried asus
Asus is the best bang for your buck if your into your specs. They'll come with the latest i7 quad cores, best in class SSD, insane number of ports and now come with a fast boot linux distro if you just want to check your mail or open chrome without having to wait on your full laptop to boot.

nah dey fine.

>that top touchpad that almost no dev is supporting

Feels good to not buy into the brainlet crowd

I've used Thinkpad (new and old style) and Ideapad keyboards, the new Thinkpad keyboards are still great. Typing this on one right now.

>Losing out on their actual pro market because they don't sell the 15" without it
Loving every laugh.

>0.5 mm key travel

>anyone who might be wrong definitely lied

More likely you have unrealistic expectations.

I won a surface laptop at a barcade and besides the weird fabric shit on the keyboard I've never felt a better built laptop keyboard. not saying buy one since they are overpriced as fuck but and bot net city but "hurdur premium" laptops have solid keyboards.

i'm extremely jelly. i'm still rocking a surface pro 3 and i'm torn between a used surface book, or a heavily discounted new surface laptop (which i expect to see sometime this year). what's the battery life like?

also, rubbing alcohol cleans dirt off the weird surface fabric well

the fabric is holding up stupid well (because i scotch guarded it) batt is equal to the surface pro 3. i still use my surface pro 3 for photo work since the the touch screen on the surface laptop is useless. unless you want an actual laptop stick with the surface pro line. even then buy one of those brydge keyboards for your surface pro and beat the system.

>brydge keyboard
i already have a knockoff fintie bluetooth type cover on my sp3 that works really well. was only like 40$ and i can still use it when hooked up to tv. annoying to charge separately but i haven't had to in like 2 weeks

you said the touchscreen is useless, is it bad compared to say the sp3 screen? i use touch+pen input more than anything else& that'd be a deal killer for me

the touch screen is the same as the surface pro. the surface laptop doesn't fold over. can you imagine using the pen on a vertical screen that wobbles for a photo editing project? that why if you use the pen a lot and its critical to your daily use then just stick with the surface pro. if you want a windows laptop thats build quality is equal to a macbook get the surface laptop. hence the hefty price tag.

also i keep saying surface pro like a dumb fuck
***surfacebook

brydge keyboard
wait holy shit i've never seen those before they look fucking awesome. the integrated ssd is really neat, but i would but one right now if it had a battery pack in it. the only real reason i have to upgrade is battery life. i know for sure the surface 2 power cover does work with sp3, i was debating buying one and hacking something together in combination with my knockoff type cover, as it doesn't use the bottom connector for anything but attachment

just hope someone makes a case that includes a battery pack built in like they do for phones. I'm sure that'll happen this year.

good thing about the 3 4 5 being so similar, if they make one for the 2017 it'll probably work on the pro 3. there are battery packs that will charge it, but i want something that stays attached. i still have 38k mah of factory 42 after 940 charge cycles but it just doesn't last long enough

The brydge keyboards are garbage, they put too much pressure and crack the screen.

THICK and durable, please.

ThinkPad T series still have decent keyboards.
Will be interesting what manufacturers do with the new low profile cherry switches

I don't think ThinkPads will have those, ever. Neckbeards aren't their market, and nobody else cares.

Laptops also used to be over 2k bucks, why do you compare those to $200 walmart machines