Unironically, why the fuck do you use Linux?

Unironically, why the fuck do you use Linux?

It's so pointless. All you do is spend all your time figuring out replacements for programs you can easily get in Windows, fixing problems, and dealing with obscure glitches that one other person on the planet has experienced.

Are you making money from Linux? Is it saving you time? Is it improving your life in some way?

The answer to those is "no" so why the fuck are you using Linux. Even Apple is a better choice for Pete Sake.

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/58.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sup Forums is running on a GNU/Linux server, so gtfo bitch , do not forget to close the door behind you.

Yeah but *you* are not a server

>Are you making money from Linux? Is it saving you time? Is it improving your life in some way?

it's been nearly a decade since i used windows in any real capacity. i literally don't know how to use a modern windows system. in general it's easier for me to get my work done on a unix-like system anyway, which is why i go about 50/50 between linux and os x.

>Unironically, why the fuck do you use Linux?
I don't need to rationalize shit to you, brainlet

Actually, I am

Wincucks don't care about technology in general.

All they care about is the product, not the method. Product is and the method is .

Products are GPU shitstorms, speccy threads, guts threads, casing threads etc.

A typical winbabby's perception of judging a GPU is "Gaming benchmarks".

None of the gamer wincuckolds are interested in the method or process of making games. Games are not technology, programming games is.

Buying GPU is not technology and neither is discussing which build will play the latest manchild games.

Wincuckolds do not care about privacy and cryptology. They are more invested in games.

If all they care about is the ability to play games they should move to

here. i will say that i'd love an integrated configuration system like windows has.

Eh. There are Linux distros for everything. You can get one that brushes your teeth and tucks you into bed at night, and there are others that try to pretend to be Windows and MacOS.

I like using Linux because I can do most of my shit without being interrupted by updates or Winshit buggy software that fails at doing the most simple of tasks. On Linux I can choose what I have and I can easily reject what I don't want without fearing that the whole system crashes for unknown reasons.

> i'd love an integrated configuration system like windows has.

systemd.

>without being interrupted by updates or Winshit buggy software that fails at doing the most simple of tasks

Linux literally breaks all the time

>spend your time figuring out replacements for programs you can easily get in Windows
that's like 1% of my use time, I get the program then I fucking use it
>fixing problems, and dealing with obscure glitches
Windows is way worse at this; I get about the same number of bugs on Windows vs. GNU/Linux, but the latter takes me an hour to fix max while the former can take me possibly days

i've actually been slowly poking around at systemd's features. it sure does a lot of stuff. i'm torn though, between my desire to get work done and my desire to tinker and understand things in totality.

because i develop faggot

I use GNU/Linux so I'm not bashing it, but I think Sup Forums uses BSD

how much faggot do you develop? is it a lot of faggot?

Develop what, shitty Linux "games"?

Eh, Windows' configuration system is crazy scattered all over the place.

Some settings need a change in the registry and group policy editor, some settings are changed in a random file somewhere, some settings are in a GUI that generates some blob file with a not really understandable format, and other files are in a GUI that create XML. Others are pretty much exclusive to a powershell or cmd command. And then some more shit like ActiveDirectory and so on.

I'll take a bunch of config files in a handful of typical formats (even if it's not all just one format) that are mostly located in either the user's home directory or /etc and ansible for management of whole clusters over the Windows MS configuration tooling 100% clusterfuck any day.

Why are you lying on the internet?

desktop linux is autismo cancer

server linux i.e. CLI only the way it was intended, is actually great and yes it's directly used for making money

>only thing you can program is games

>guaranteedreplies.jpg

Linux is used in more industrial machines and programming. Booting a linux on an embedded system is worlds easier than windows or apple.

You'd also be surprised how fast you can move when you get keyboard commands down. I navigate folders quicker than using the mouse.

hrmm, fair enough. maybe i'm holding windows in too high a regard there.

Using Linux on servers is different - that's literally what it was designed for.

My issue is with the people who use linux as a desktop OS. No apps, no themes, buggy and breaks all the time, barely functions as a PC. Why do people waist their time doing that?

Desktop Windows is autismo cancer.

Gaming Windows, i.e. using Steam only the way it was intended, is actually great and yes it's directly viable as a replacement for other gaming setups, including consoles.

>Gaming Windows, i.e. using Steam only the way it was intended

so...steam OS? lol retard

>No apps, no themes, buggy and breaks all the time, barely functions as a PC
not sure what distro you are using but I've been using fedora and encountered none of these
it even runs some (see: older) windows programs better than windows does with WINE

Steam was and is originally and mainly a Windows thing.

SteamOS is so far a company's extra experiment to see if they can't avoid its messy Windows origins, but the market doesn't really react that well to migrating everything. It's going as smoothly as could be expected for a transition most don't REALLY feel like putting effort into, I guess?

Because it just werks.

>All you do is spend all your time figuring out replacements for programs you can easily get in Windows,
You might. I have literally the opposite problem, because I am familiar with it, and you are familiar with Windows.

>fixing problems,
My distro (Slackware) is rock solid. I've had maybe half a dozen major issues in ten years and several computers.

If fixing problems isn't your thing, don't listen to Sup Forums, because they love their bleeding edge crap.

>and dealing with obscure glitches that one other person on the planet has experienced.
Slackware has a very good, albeit small, community. They love to help.

>Are you making money from Linux?
No, not my objective.

>Is it saving you time?
Literally yes.

This goes back to familiarity in a large part, but also because of the richness of the command line environment and associated documentation, which comes out-of-the-box.

>Is it improving your life in some way?
Literally yes.

It is a vehicle with which to further my learning, even in areas unrelated to computers.

I had a very old tablet, for instance. Linux allowed me to turn it into a decent eBook reader several years after official support for the device ended.

This entire line of thinking is like telling a farmer he should buy a separate backhoe, forklift, bobcat, etc. instead of just using attachments for his tractor. Sure, not everyone's a farmer, but a tractor is a better choice if you're interested in agriculture, and not a complete fucking idiot.

Now go tell those farmers they're doing it all wrong, op!

Linux was not designed for servers. Linux started as a pet project so that Linus could use features of his 80386 PC. He even asked for suggestions and contributions so that his project could replace MINIX, which was used for academic purposes.

There are indeed distributions aiming to be server operating systems, just like there are distributions designed for consumer desktop use.

Linux is a step towards the adoption of FOSS software. I need not make money off it, but I imagine it's more profitable a system to master than Windows or macOS: understand the ins and outs of UNIX systems and you can be a sysadmin. Understand how to open group policy editor and type Word documents and you can be a secretary, assistant, or a very shitty technician who will forever be asked to format people's computers and figure out if they have viruses.

Moreover the software I use is available mostly on GNU/Linux and other UNIX-like systems like the BSDs and as homebrew for macOS.

>ported all their games to openGL and are actively shilling vulkan as an alternative to dx12
>made their own distro and partnered with pc builders to make prebuilts specifically for it
>just an extra experiment

Honestly, you're not entirely wrong.

Autismo distros like Arch (at least the initial setup) and void are a complete waste of time, for sure.

Personally, I just want control over my OS. I don't want updates forced on me and I don't want my OS spying on me either. Sadly that leaves Windows 10 out of the picture, LTSB is OK but you still have to deal with telemetry bullshit.

I've been trying linux mint, and I'm quite satisfied with it so far. Everything seems to just work, which is more than I can say about W10 desu. Only issue was getting bumblebee up and running, it's a hassle but that's not linux's fault (fuck nvidia).

>I am familiar with it, and you are familiar with Windows
I don't understand how this could be

because it's not bloatware lol if you actually care about not being tracked you're getting fucked in wincucks
t. win 7 user lolz

when you're a sysadmin you basically are

You have to realize that there is a world of technology outside of gaming. As a developer I use linux quite a lot, I even run my own servers from home with linux. And it pays.

>let me tell you how linux works t. someone who has never used linux
why is this a thing?
why does every windows user think they're somehow an expert on linux?
I don't understand

finding programs is a pain
updating programs is simple and more trustworthy than going to 20 or so different websites, downloading a 5th or 6th or 7th copy of the installer that's really just an extra step, then clicking through UAC and saying no thanks to the toolbar offer and finally installing
obscure glitches exist in windows, too, and there typically isn't a community around to fix it because there's no way to commit changes to software
meanwhile, there's no convenient way to roll back windows or osx updates because m$ and applel cater to the lowest common denominator: retards who, given an ounce of freedom, would destroy their computer and sue everyone involved in its design and manufacturing process.

I save plenty of fucking time and headaches because programming on Linux is a thousand times easier than doing it on Windows, where everything is a pain in the ass to get working, and when it does, it's held together by duct tape and string. On top of that, every program and game I use and play runs flawlessly.
Eat shit, Sup Forums.

One can argue that Windows or Mac OSX breaks just as much as Linux if all you do is read forum posts. I havent had issues in a long time with anything breaking, and at this point simply googling the problem leads to a solution. Incompetence in this step is most likely why you don't use it. "But it's too hard to learn computers!", no it's not. It just takes practice, time and work.

However a solution to the problem might be one that requires me to change something core to the system. While you may argue "but user! Why would you ever do that!?", atleast I have a choice to modify any piece as I wish. Something that you certainly cannot say thats true for windows or osx.

All that it comes down to is this.

A) I'm happy with it, and
B) It functions perfectly everyday without issues

Something you obviously cant say seeing this needless bitching and baiting.

>All you do is spend all your time ... fixing problems, dealing with obscure glitches that one other person on the planet has experienced

That's the fun. It's a hobby OS if we're only discussing personal use. If you need software not available on Linux, you use Windows or OSX (potentially in a VM). If you need guaranteed hardware support without extra steps or workarounds, you use Windows or OSX.

If you want a system you can play around with and have extensive control over by design, you use Linux. If you're running a server, you likely want to use Linux.

People use Linux on the desktop because it's fun and allows you to problem solve and learn new things. Humans get a natural high from solving puzzles; it's hardwired into us to find solutions to problems. Linux is a potentially fun way to problem solve for people who are into computers.

Freetards and elitists are just autistic and should be disregarded.

Do you make money using winblowz? no, you pay to use it you fucking moron!
Does winblowz save you any time? prove it or no.
Does having your info sent back to microshaft improving your life in any way? no!
Winshills are just pathetic.

no less than windows
>Is it saving you time?
yes
yes

>All you do is spend all your time figuring out replacements for programs you can easily get in Linux, fixing problems, and dealing with common glitches that one thousand other people on the planet has experienced.
i could say the same about windows

Because Windows runs like fucking shit on this laptop.
Replacement programs? Literally I just browse the web, check email and occasionally type notes.
Fixing problems and obscure glitches? Far less often than Windows. And when I do need to, technically apt users have laid out solutions rather than some random pajeet shitting out a non-answer on Microsoft's forums.
Updating the system also takes maybe 5 minutes, it doesn't force my system to restart so I can do it literally whenever without giving a shit.

>no themes
Are you literally retarded?

Because I just burned out on constantly having to play whack-a-mole with all the telemetry features and security issues featured in Windows.
>Is it saving you time?
Definitely. It might not be much, but it's better than nothing.
Using the terminal to get things done (again - I started with DOS) instead of having to search for random adware-infested GUIs is pretty nice, yes.

>My distro (Slackware)
>Slackware

Can you at least try to use Linux before you "criticize" it instead of spouting memes.
>implying you can only program games

This image just became a little more accurate

>Is it saving you time?
Uh, yeah? Windows update is fucking trash, its takes forever to get all the programs you need because no package manager and that anti-malware bullshit eats up cpu cycles.

>only one result for "Arch" in the thread
>it's calling it autismo
how's the image gettingmore accurate

>slackpkg
This is exactly the problem with the open source community. Everyone autist believes they can make something better and it leads to half-assed apt and slackpkg with no one working on them. This is why i stick to gentoo and use runit and gtk2 .

>Windows user wants to try Linux
>Immediately jumps into the deep end instead of getting used to it like with any other OS
>Realizes how deep Linux goes
>Goes on Sup Forums and complains about it being difficult to use
The first day you got an android phone (if you got one), did you immediately try to install TWRP, root it, install custom ROM and kernel all on the first day?

He’s assuming OP is the stickman in the image who winds up hating Linux by the end.

>taking weeks to compile it manually
>compile it myself
>arch is source based
"I have never used arch but I'm an expert on why it sucks"

>pacman breaking things
literally never had this happen
how did this meme start? Did it actually do this once upon a time?

GNU/Linux doesn't make me money, but then again, it didn't cost me anything. I don't bother with tweaking, shit-- I didn't even change the default wallpaper.

I think a misconfigured package update erased some config file a few years ago.

>Literally I just browse the web, check email and occasionally type notes.
Linux is perfect for someone who just does that. Sadly, I'm a gaymer. So I have to cuck myself to Microsoft.

Sure, I run Windows on my desktop for that same reason.
After 7 hits EOL though, I'm going to install Linux and just deal with it.

Arch stickman is running a FOSS-only, fully compiled from source, systemd-free pentesting distro that doesn't have a wiki

I used to but it's gone to shit and fucking *BSD is no better.

And Apple is fucking overpriced garbage.

Sadly the only OS left is Windows. Hate it but it's true.

Yo guys, OP here. I was halfway trolling, halfway serious.

I'm glad you like your shit though. I hope ya'll have a good night.

>did you immediately try to install TWRP, root it, install custom ROM and kernel all on the first day?
i did, actually. never even booted into the official rom
though i am a linux user, things like being able to chroot into gnu was a selling point to me

I hate scrolling Sup Forums and reading ignorant shit that begs correction, and that's all Sup Forums is lately.

The support of games on Linux has improved dramatically these past few years. I think it's because of SteamOS.

I was looking through my games library and was amazed how much of them had native Linux support. Sadly, a few of my favourites don't have native Linux support which keeps me on Windows.

I will switch back to windows once Arch reaches EOL.

>I don't understand how this could be
...You don't understand how different people are familiar with different things?

Yes, but I was already experienced with Linux on embedded ARM.

Arch really used to be a horrendous pile of shit.
>no package signing
>breakage all over the repos
>overwrote package configs on update
>including Xorg.conf
>did not keep X server, kernels, and drivers in lockstep back when most people were using proprietary nvidia drivers or fglrx
It wasn't until those problems went away (including the death of fglrx and birth of amdgpu, for AMD users) that Arch became a respectable choice for desktop use.

but but but opengl is slower

Yeah. It sure was tough figuring out all the replacement programs I need to browse the web or whip up a Word/Excel document.

Wait, no, those literally came with the distro.

I just wanted to make "sudo" jokes.

Windows is a garbage piece of shit and belongs in the fucking trash. I fucking hate Windows. FUCK WINDOWS

Most Linux distros have a shitton of programming and server administration tools either builtin or accessible from their repositories. Windows is a fucking pain to set up for that.
Also, virtual desktops and using just a fraction of resources that Windows need.
Windows is only exclusively good for games (which I have little interest of), since tools like Photoshop are also accessible on Macs.
Also, fuck Macs.

The last time I had some issues with linux were on my debian testing a year ago, where they deployed a bit fucked up Cinnamon package, which they fixed within a couple of days (still nothing game breaking, just messed up a couple of addons and couldn't change my wallpaper). Other than that, nothing really.
If your linux distro constantly breaks, either you're using some esoteric OS maintained ny pajeet devs or you fucked it up yourself.

Fun fact: it was easier to graft an entire Linux userland personality on to NT than it was to fix popular webdev tools to be usable on Windows. That's why WSL exists.

> thinks you can only develop games
> doesn't even know about webdev
getout

Unironically, why the fuck do you use Sup Forums?

It's so pointless. All you do is spend all your time figuring out pastas for memes you can easily get in Twitter, laughing, and dealing with obscure feels that one other person on the planet has experienced.

Are you making money from Sup Forums? Is it saving you time? Is it improving your life in some way?

The answer to those is "no" so why the fuck are you using Sup Forums. Even Facebook is a better choice for Pete Sake.

>Just putting it out there, this is a great copy-pasta.

Linux save time once it's installed, it's easier to install programs and to maintain all of them.

What exactly do you think needs to be maintained in a simple shell script?

Y- you're not speaking from a position of ignorance are... Are you, user-kun?!

What a bigot. I'll have you know, I am actually a server currently running debian stable.

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/58.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/
i don't need more, thx

This.

Because I make software and drivers for Linux for a living.

>All you do is spend all your time figuring out replacements for programs you can easily get in Windows, fixing problems, and dealing with obscure glitches
Funny, I have the exact same experience when using Windows.

Also, there's not a single software I use on a regular basis that is Windows only and not available on my Mac (read: powerpoint).

Yes
>Is it saving you time?
Yes
Yes

>Even Apple is a better choice for Pete Sake.
I run macOS on my laptop too actually.

wrong it uses macos minis

Isn't that meme pretty stale by now? I mean, moot made that joke back in 2011 for crying out loud.

no they were upgrading them some time ago when the site went down for a bit or they lied to me or it's on a vps somewhere on ubuntu lts whatever

How hard is it writing device drivers anyway?

>why you use Linux?
This has been answered here too many times. Fuck off newfag
>spend all your time figuring out replacements
like what? I did not spent any time figuring out replacements. Firefox just works, email client just works and I did not touched programming when I used windows, so picking IDE and text editor wasn't hard (EMACS and VIM, obviously)

Are you making money from windows? You dumb fuck
>is it saving you time?
Yes, no forced reboots or update installs, doesn't crash had no which would otherwise stop me to use my computer.
>is it improving you life in some way
in every
>The answer to those is "no"
Why you even made the thread then? Why do you care what OS people are using? Are you retarded?

Fuck off underage cunt

In general, not very. You basically follow specs and datasheets. Of course, whenever you fuck up, you might end up wrecking stuff, but in modern times the usual bug just corrupts kernel memory.

As for Linux drivers, the main issue is maintaining compatibility between multiple kernel versions. Development of the kernel is pretty rapid, and symbols and definitions change all the time, so most larger drivers tend to use compatibility layers in order to deal with that. Luckily, though, most people out there run Red Hat or CentOS and therefore run ancient versions of the kernel for very long periods of time, so we rarely bother with supporting every single kernel release candidate.

>or they lied to me or it's on a vps somewhere on ubuntu lts whatever
It's definitively running Linux.

Because writing programs on Windows is a pain in the ass.

Unironically, why the fuck do you use windows?

It's so pointless. All you do is spend all your time figuring out replacements for programs you can easily get in gnu/linux, fixing problems, and dealing with obscure glitches that one other person on the planet has experienced.

Are you making money from windows? Is it saving you time? Is it improving your life in some way?

The answer to those is "no" so why the fuck are you using windows. Even Apple is a better choice for Pete Sake.

do all kernel releases use compatibility magic for drivers
oh i has a question, is there any way to make a laptop fan stay silent? like recently i see it rev up to coil whine lvls and it picks my brains but the cpu temps are cooler than needed

Hmm, well I'm only just properly starting to learn programming after years of dabbling and procrastinating, so might be a few years before I'm actually at that sort of level.

I thought a good platform to learn might be some developing OS like Haiku. Enough software that it's not completely daunting, but plenty of gaps that I could pick something to work on that's practical, even if my efforts aren't entirely up to scratch.

I've also got an interest in learning electronics too after following what that bunnie huang guy's been doing, which I would assume is pretty heavy on writing device drivers for anything outside the most common components, especially if it's unknown brand chinesium.