/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Last Thread:

Why is she using a poorfag phone, I thought she had a lot of money from her dad and being a model.

What games do you play on your smartphone? My phone is more powerful than my pc so looking for suggestions. No emulator meme

Brainlet here, does dash charging fuck up your battery? And I heard the oneplus 5t comes with a screen protector and case, are those any good or should I buy my own?

my redmeme's specs are wasted on me tb.h I only play droidfish and blockinger

only phone game I can get into is Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links. Easy to get into, can reach top PvP rank as a F2P player, and it's not that demanding to run at 1440p

What genres are you looking for specifically?

LG G3 - high-tier
LG G4 - bootloop-tier
LG G5 - ???

school idol festival

Garbage quality control-tier

That phone had a ton of issues.

Triple Town
Big Hunter

Has LG recovered its mojo since?

Something I can play in short bursts but better quality than usual mobile shit. Turn based games, racing games, fighting, as long as I don't have to dedicate 30+mins at a time I'm interested. Real Racing 3 is fun but I can't figure out data transfer, so I'm waiting to play more until phones arrived

G6 and V30 are much better, the early V30's had some display issues but at least the bootloops seem to be finally gone.

Just flashed nuclear rom on Moto X Pure, fucking great

Honor 7x or iPhone 6s?

Planning to get one xiomi, shill what's good.
Flipland here

G3 is pretty good, but god forbid somebody ever use V30N. I traded a S3 Neo on this G3 and sweet god, V30N is just asking for trouble.

Otherwise when it's not in triggered mode it's a pretty nice phone. Looking forward to installing TWRP then CM14. (CM15 Oreo is said to not have focus on camera, which I need so...) I'm SOOOO fucking done with LG's stock FW.

6s if you don't want to fuck around with custom firmware on the Honor.

I just ordered a redmi 4x because I'm poor. Last phone was a Galaxy S5 that finally broke beyond repair.

What mail app and browser does Sup Forums use on their phone?
Decided to try going GApp-less this time, so GMail and Inbox are out (though my emails are gmail anyways)

I'll ask here again: Do you guys think that paying the extra bit to get a OnePlus 3T over a OnePlus 3 is a good idea? It's got 120GB instead of 64GB and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 over the 3's 820.

Firefox + uBlock Origin

This and Bluemail

Oh shit, I didn't even know uBlock Origin was on android at all. Thanks

Yeah

Are you getting it from Lazada? I suggest looking for cheaper stores first, their pricing isn't always the best out there.

I only browse my e-mails from my PC, I use Privacy Browser for that easy JS toggle though.

Use nightly over stable. Its a good bit faster.

Are you me, just did the same. How is the phone¿

I wanted to root my Redmi Note 4x so I could install google hdr+ camera, but when you open the Mi unlock program there's a warning about ow I'll lose features on my phone and shit like that. Should I ignore it and move on, or is there a way to get HDR+ camera functionalities without rooting my phone?

For the very short time I stayed on Mi after unlocking my bootloader, I didn't notice anything different.

It said something about not getting MIUI updates, is that right? Because I'm playing on staying with MIUI9, and it's a new phone, I don't want to fuck it up 3 days after getting it.

You're not getting updates if you fuck with anything except the bootloader I think. You can put it back to complete stock with locked bootloader quite easily from what I've seen. Are you going to install it through fastboot or a custom recovery?

Is there anything worth a buy right now for

Someone PLEASE spoon-feed what chinkphone I need to buy that supports these bands. I was looking at the Redmi Note 4, but I cannot understand the difference between the 4, 4x, 4G, etc and the Hong Kong Goldway descriptions don't list the codenames and have conflicting information on what bands are supported.

At this point I will take anything with an unlocked bootloader, SD card support, support for at least one of the LTE bands, and a

Why do you even buy chink botnet phones

Just get a Moto G5+

because they're great value for what they are if you know what you are doing?

Does the Chinese botnet still exist after I flash LOS? If so, I don't care because it doesn't affect me. Even if it does, I'm already part of the Google botnet which is much, much worse.
Does it have all of the features requested as well as an IR blaster? Pricetag for network unlocked? LOS support? Battery life? I still have a OG Moto G (that I need to replace the screen on which ironically costs more than a new/used model of the phone, lol) that has held up well, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

best girl

lmao poor chinkfags on suicide watch after realizing their purchase is shit

t. applel poster on contract who has to pay $80 for a battery replacement and stay on 2 generations behind OS version to avoid Apple endorsed slowdown.
OR
t. samshit locked down to the 9th layer of hell and has to deal with TouchJizz and all kinds of other stockshit problems.
>haha enjoy your green bubbles/bad Snapchat pictures!

but more than likely you're just a shitposter that couldn't fabricate an argument, so this shall be your final (You) until you attempt even the most basic explanation of why chinkphones that cost a ¼ of the price of your marked up carrier locked gook/chinkphone on contract.

>no brands outside of Apple/Samsung exist

What do you call that style of skirt?
>I want to dress pretty.

what phone do you recommend user? genuinely qurious

Unless you're using something HTC or Moto then it doesn't really matter; they are the only manufacturers without major issues like guaranteed bootloop in LG phones after the G3 AND still respect consumer rights.

I'm from the UK, what's the best all round phone I can get for £200-£300, Sup Forums?

excuse me but you are *NOT* authorised to post images of my cute imouto. Cease and desist.

Most things HTC, Motorola as long as their bootloader unlock still works, Google (although to be fair I have not paid much attention to them since the Nexus 4 debacle), Xiaomi if you can figure out the branding and get the version with the bands you need, and I've heard good things about the Axon 7 and some Oppo or Honor thing.

Obviously I'm fairly out of the loop because I tend to use phones for much longer than 2 years. Only reason I'm asking in here is because my LG G3 is having digitizer issues and I can't be bothered to sift through which chink site will sell me a working fused LCD/Digi that won't break in 2 days.

tl;dr: if it supports US bands, has an unlocked bootloader, has mSD support, has LOS maintainers, and costs less than 400 burgers it's probably alright.

I've been using my HTC One X for the past 3 years and it's even older than that (I got it after my brother bought a new phone) and it's about 4-5 years old. My issues are the touchscreen being half broken and starting from last week it has problems reading my SIM card. Now I'm looking for something else to upgrade but I have no clue about what to buy. I was looking at P8 lite/P10 lite but there isn't any custom rom for that.. What else is there to buy?

A bit tired of android now, realised over time my android phones always get significantly slower, kinda want a change.

>went from shitty htc desire to s7, s7 really slow and pretty damaged now.

Planning to change phones and have a change.

Why should I not buy a iPhone 8 plus?

Frilled Skirt m8

Anything else interesting coming up in MWC than Redmi note 5?

Mini review of the XZ1 Compact:

+Small screen
It's a learning curve, but if you have the hands to handle a 4.6" phone it's feels great to back to his screen

+Great battery
With the sacrifice of a 780p screen on such an expensive phone it gives the phone the advantage of have a long screen on time.

+Feels great
Although the Compact is an all plastic build, it feels great and it's small thick body feels great to grasp.

~Camera
Sony creates cameras for many Smartphone manufacturers, however Sony cameras never seem to stand toe to toe. Many believe it's the software that drags their cameras quality down, but in manual mode you can make some great shots.

-Custom ROM
Many praised Sony's flavor of Android to be pretty close to stock but I find bloat wear to be pretty untolerable. There's many system applications that bug me to hell. Like Cell Information notification that I had to run a adb shell script to run to remove.

I'll respond in a bit. Next thread maybe. Hold on.

Why all of the manufacturers are avoiding project treble?

Thank you

What happened to project ara?

Because it's a farce.

How?

what are intensive things i can do on a phone that justify paying over 500 for one?

Animal Crossing Pocket Camp
K-9
All phones over time become slower and slower. In Apples case they're doing it on purpose

I haven't really kept up with chinkphones in a while. What's the hottest new meme? I'm guessing it's not the Redmi Note 3 Pro anymore. I'm gonna have to replace my Meizu M2 Note sometime since the battery's fucked and I'm just experiencing other small issues which would probably be easier and/or cheaper to fix just by getting a new phone. Anything noteworthy coming out within the next ~6 months? I checked out the pastebin and that Redmi Note 4X looks pretty good but if they're gonna be coming out with something in the same price range and potentially better later in the year I don't mind waiting to upgrade until then.

If you're getting tired of Android and your mind is set on an iPhone 8 plus then I would just get that. Nothing wrong with changing shit up now and then.

If you have a Redmi Note 4, flash LineageOS 14.1, it's a dream

dead

fate/grand order

How do I use the wake lock detector app?

My OP3 has been dying like shit and I don't know why

I think I did receive an update on unlocked bootloader. It's definitely worth it for the HDR+, but rooting isn't necessary. You can boot TWRP temporarily through fastboot, mount system, pull the build.prop with adb to a PC, edit it, push it back, flash lazyflasher zip, and you're done. No root, stock recovery, HDR+.

Can you install Linux like Debian to Galaxy s2? I was thinking about using at as a server like Raspberry pi.

All right, I've been lurking these threads on and off for the past week. Mostly it's just stressing me out. I'm so far behind on phone tech. You don't need a computer in your pocket if you never leave the house, you know? But now I've got a crappy job, and I'm spending 2-6 hours per workday riding in a company van.

I kind of get the impression that I could just get the cheapest smartphone in the local verizon
store, and it would do everything I would want it to do, but I would never buy blind for any other sort of tech. The problem is, I literally can not imagine what the difference is between a $200 phone and a $1200 phone. What the hell are people using their phones for?

Here's all I want a phone to do:
Read pirated books
mp3s with headphones
GPS
Web browser with adblock
Writing notes longer than 300 characters
Emulators for 2D consoles (SNES GBA)
And maybe, maybe, watching pirated anime on low resolution. But I can live without that one.

Can I do this stuff on any phone? Would I need to jailbreak it in order to transfer files and software freely, and would I need to buy specific models in order to do that? That's the main thing I'm worried about. Fuck the concept of app stores.

Redmi note 4

You could do all these things on any phone.
Hell, you don't even need root or jailbreak to do these things.

I think you install it and let it run overnight. Then check what woke up the device and see from there. (uninstall app/disable app)

vainglory,world of tanks/warships blitz

Whats the point in making half the phone out of metal if youre going to make the other half out of cheese grade plastic?

>G6
Might as well call it the cuck phone at this point. I remember right after the launch of the S8, someone asked me if my G6 was the S8
>N-no this is the G6 but it's just as good
Almost a year later and it lags with Facebook, Snapchat, and youtube

What phone are you talking about?

is the redmi note 4 still good in 2018?

if you can figure out which one of them works for your country.

Redmi 5 Plus just recently came out, which is basically the Redmi Note 4 with a 18:9 display. Buy if you're interested in installing custom ROMs then the Note 4 is still a better buy due to it being more supported. There's recently been some rumors that a Redmi Note 5 is coming out sometime later this year. Mi A1 is a good buy too, specs are decent but what sets it apart from other chinkphones is it being an Android One phone which means stock android and faster software updates.

Pixel

So the battle between the Iphone X and Pixel 2 XL continues. I found out Rogers actually gave me the X for free, + $150 credit, so that means if I take the X I get free Iphone X + $150 credit, but if I take the Pixel 2 XL I get a total of $270 credit.

The battery life on the pixel 2 XL has started to degrade already, though it's still better than the X, but the 2 XL doesn't have any battery cases made for it. Also the X doesn't have multitasking and that is pissing me off, very much.

Options are this:

A)Keep Iphone X, spend $200 on apple watch (because moto 360 integration on iOS is SHIT.), buy a Mi Mix 2 for android use in a few months.

B)Keep Iphone X, sell it and get a Mi Mix 2 immediately, get $150 credit + $500-600 extra after Mi Mix 2 is bought.

C) Keep Pixel 2 XL, get $270 in credits.

Plz halp, this is actually the hardest decision I've faced technology wise in years.

Option A) should include +$150 credit.

>Verizon
Motorola's phones are a good choice, reasonable specs, decent price and stock bloatware-free Android. The phone models I'd look at are Moto E4, E4 Plus and Moto G5 Plus. Any of them will do the things you mention. The Verizon Prepaid version of the Moto E4 can be found as low as $40.

Don't work on Verizon.

So I'm looking for a new phone. I have less than $200. Carrier is MintSim(T-mobile). The S7 Active looks real appealing but I like holding the iPhone 6/7.Anything you suggest?

just got a Redmi Note 4 yesterday. been away from Android for about 2-3 years. would someone be willing to answer some dumb questions for me?

B and then buy a OP5T

It's still the number one budget phone sub-$200

Will not buy a OP5T as it does not have stereo speakers. Thanks for input though.

I love me some stock android. Thank you for letting me know about that.

Speaking of which, is it okay to ask tablet questions here? I'm just curious if there are any new ones out/will be coming out sometime this year which run stock android but aren't the Pixel C.

i have 3 and 4. tell me your troubles

What do you mean no multitasking on the X?

What carriers do you guys use? I'm thinking t-mobile or metro in california, but I want whatever will be overall cheapest and maybe not make me pay for the 2 entire fucking phones I'm getting. I was just gonna get the note 8, but now i gotta look at these here links

- how do I turn off the vibration when I'm typing?

- what program should I download for the best homescreen and theme customization?

- how do I delete cellphone contacts?

thanks for any help!

Broke my RN4 screen. How difficult is it to replace the screen and are the 20 dollar kits viable off aliexpress?

Not redmefag but
>go to contacts
>hold contact
>delete is in top right corner

You can't split the screen between two apps, ex. you can't have a youtube video on the top 1/4 of the screen while browsing Sup Forums on the bottom 3/4 on the screen.

Update, my LG uses a little context window. But still hold contact to get to it.

Those aren't really RN4 specific questions but anyway
>- how do I turn off the vibration when I'm typing?
Depends on your keyboard and/or ROM. I use Hacker's keyboard and I adjust in the settings. Google keyboard should have it too, look under keyboard
>- what program should I download for the best homescreen and theme customization?
Subjective matter. Nova + KLWP is great + a ROM with Substratum support imo
>- how do I delete cellphone contacts?
just select a contact and hit delete in the little 3-dotted menu in the topright corner

also, install f-droid, microg, yalp store and viper4android

Tablet questions are fine here. The Android tablet market has been pretty dead for quite some time, even Google seems to have abandoned it (the Pixel C was discontinued with no successor in sight). Maybe Nvidia would release a new Shield tablet...

oh and magiskSU of course