Retro edition

retro edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i5-8400/8600K - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous thread (you motherfuckers keep forgetting to do this)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/D4M323/be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-black-atx-full-tower-case-bgw11
pcpartpicker.com/product/tnWrxr/thermaltake-view-71-tg-rgb-atx-full-tower-case-ca-1i7-00f1wn-01
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144115
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#f=7&c=128&sort=price&page=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/xD7Mf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Planing on getting an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING X 2G and an Ryzen 3 1300x
Is there anything I could do better for either same price or a little higher?

fuck I want this card for a retro build.... will asus ever bring back their waifu?

Reposting from the last thread because I like big willy.
I'm currently using an R9 270X. It's going fine, but I've recently started noticing a lot of weird occurrences in gaymes. GTA5, for example, the sky keeps flickering, randomly when a car is driving by it'll freak out and have a ton of spikes, and it's not a deal breaker, but the card only having 2GB VRAM means I can't have the texture quality at anything higher than "Normal".
First of all, what is the term for the occurrences I described? Would that be artifacting, or something else? Also, I can't seem to overclock my card without everything freaking out; games, basic programs, and even windows itself start flickering and screen tearing heavily if I try overclock, underclock, raise voltage/power limits, shit, I even saw it freaking out when I tried turning the fans up to 100% to see how loud they were.
What would be a wise upgrade to? I was originally going to try and get an RX480/580/GTX1060, but that sure as hell isn't happening anytime soon, apparently.
I'm considering a lower-priced card because of hospital bills, lots of travelling, recently moving house, and being out of work a fair bit. Things aren't exactly going my way. I was looking at a 1050 Ti for a new card since it should be a tad better than the 270X, but I'd prefer getting a used card from a reputable seller/site, so I can get it for about that ~$250 mark, but better than the 1050 Ti.
Used GTX980 looked like a decent option. I've seen a fair amount of original GTX Titan's going for about ~$250 (AUD) with bids, and aside from it being a power hungry card, it doesn't look that bad. Any other ideas? Having Ryzen, I've got no integrated graphics, and I'd rather not be without a usable computer for too long since work needs it, and I've already taken off more time than I'd like to have with my wife having given birth just under a fortnight ago.

You forgot the SUBJECT line.

Used Maxwell cards are your best option here

1200/2200G and 1050 Ti

what do i need to be looking for in a motherboard? rebuilding with an i5 8600k

I just spend 630€ on a refurbished EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 GAMING ICX from ebay, did they rip me off?

anyone hadbad luck with a refurbished card in the past?

Hey, all. On the pc i built, I keep getting a DPC_Watchdog_error after I restart my PC. I am running windows 8.1 with an AMD 1500x. My drivers appear to be up to date, but I've heard that is what typically causes this. I built it early this past year, and its the first that I've had problems with it. Sorry to bother y'all, this seemed like a proper place to ask this.

Refurbished should be safer than brand new theoretically, since it's had another once-over beyond all of the others. And with current prices, 630 is fine.

nice one faggot

let this one die

without the pcbg bit its alot harder to find or come across

thanks mate!

Alright lads, pick one.

pcpartpicker.com/product/D4M323/be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-black-atx-full-tower-case-bgw11
pcpartpicker.com/product/tnWrxr/thermaltake-view-71-tg-rgb-atx-full-tower-case-ca-1i7-00f1wn-01

Can someone recommend me a 1080p 60hz IPS that has minimal response time? Like actually tested time not what the manufacturer says.

You should be more concerned with price and if it has speakers than response times. Find one you like and look up tests on it, and unless it's over 10ms or something you're fine.

i've always used intel cpus

do AMD cpus work exactly the same? like will old games break on them or windows 7 not work or something ?

Not exactly the same (things like infinity fabric make buying faster memory a better investment on Ryzen), but they are generally similar. They perform differently because AMD CPUs don't clock as high and their IPC is usually less.

At the very worst, some games might not be optimized properly for AMD, if the dev is shitty.

What would get me more bang-for-buck performance, a CPU or GPU upgrade?

>>G4560/G4600

ssd

Could a faulty PSU be the cause of my pc not displaying anything? Like my system powers on but doesn't display any output to my monitor. Could a shitty PSU be the problem?

better ram maybe and better cooling maybe. Really depends on what you need

Usually the GPU, but in your case your CPU is probably the limiter.
2200G isn't out yet but I don't think they should be used with a video card because then you should get the 1200
What PSU do you have? If it's under 450W or really shitty then it's in your best interest to get a new one.

600W 80 + but it's standard, and was quite cheap. Gonna try a different one tomorrow. Could thermal paste be a problem, think I fucked it up.

Thermal paste is not a problem. You would have to not have a cooler for thermal shutoff to kick in.

Recommending a dual core cpu in current year is beyond braindead.

is there anything stopping you from putting that cooler on a new card?

Hmm. Okay. I'm sure it must be the PSU. Everything is on expect display so I assume my motherboard and cpu aren't fried. Right?

Very important to check your connections and that your memory is completely inserted. PSU could be the issue though.

>doesn't display any output to my monitor
Check you gpu first.
If you have integrated graphics try the connector on the motherboard without the discrete one.

GPU is brand new, but yeah I'll check. Ryzen 1500X so I can't connect to mobo.

Yeah it's either gonna be RAM or PSU I think. Ram is completely new though so idk.

Kind of pissed off with this whole experience. My first build ever :|

>GPU is brand new, but yeah I'll check. Ryzen 1500X so I can't connect to mobo.
Try with an old graphics card that 100% works if you have one.
Try other ports on this gpu if you have cables.
Do the fans spin of the card?
Does the motherboard beep?

it sucks

Anything wrong with this mobo other than it not supporting sli?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144115

Seems like a good board for someone that doesn't care about having the inside of their computer look like a discotheque.

Fans spin. Heard no beeping yet I think. I might of heard a faint one earlier. I don't know if my mobo beeps though, it's an ASRock AB350M AM4. Gonna buy a dvi tomorrow and try.

Try removing the bios battery and putting it back in, while it is without power of course.

Did that earlier. Don't think I did for long enough though. Either way, I'm certain it's the PSU that is short circuiting it. Giving just enough power for fans and such.

Hey Sup Forums, I'm in need of new graphics cards, I currently have dual msi twin frozr 3 7950 3gb and they're just too old. I was interested in msi or radeon rx580 8gbs but scalpers are ruining the dream, at 400$ markup. Can anyone recommend me a few cards? I favour amd but wouldn't mind swapping to an nvidia system if the price/power is there. I'm looking to stay around 500-550$ for dual cards

Current specs
I5-6600k
32gb ram at 8gb a stick
750w corsair ax series
Msi m7 mobo

How good is a 4770/4790 in the current year?
I'm on a budget and want to upgrade from a g3258 + gt 730 so i thought the best way was to keep my mobo/rams and change the CPU and GPU.

back in my day, a 1050 only cost $150

Throw out sensible budgets.

Or you could answer the question, I didn't say I wasn't willing to go above 600$ but I'm not going to pay 750$ a card

Still in sweden if burger exchange rate wasnt so low atm.

Question:

What is a good m-atx motherboard for a 8700 that's out now? Nothing fancy, just need to run stock. No RGB preferably.

I'm seriously thinking about doing a basic small build for a portable/lan machine.

You might still be able to find a normal 1050 if you occasionally hit up your local computer part store.

I got mine by pure luck when I stopped by Microcenter one morning.

It is the worst time ever in the history of graphics cards to buy one.
The surge in higher end card prices has made mid tier card prices rise too and it is starting to impact the low end used card market as well.
People are selling fucking HD5770 for 50 euros on some sites.

How do you rank the following brands in term of graphics card: Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, Palit, Zotac.

When does ram speed improve fps?

Like, if my GPU/CPU are maxed out then I wont see any fps improvements no matter how high I clock my RAM right?

>Been looking at cases
>Keep coming back to the Corsair 200R
>Keep dismissing it

I realize this case has everything I want. It should be perfect for me.
But something about it just makes me want to dislike it.

What comes up must come down. Maybe I should wait, its just like the Malaysian hard drive crisis of 2013

Whichever is cheapest
Here:
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#f=7&c=128&sort=price&page=1

I didn't know this was the retarded question thread.

I did

It's Sup Forums, every thread is the retarded question thread

Higher clocks = faster bandwidth which means more fps. Buy the fastest you can find like a good goy

Zotac > Palit > Asus > Gigabyte = MSI > EVGA > intel

Stress is erratic, and memory helps your CPU by giving it some room to work with when it is in need of space. The faster it is, the faster that work gets done. So, when a moment is CPU-intensive it likely relies on memory speed.

EVGA is usually pretty good, especially their warranty.

>EVGA
enjoy your house fire

X56 MASTER RACE
ONLY THE BEST

I get what you mean, it looks a bit "2005 Dell'ish"

but functionality wise it's fucking fantastic

Have you consdidered the NZXT Source 530, basically the same case but looks nicer imo

the list would literally be perfect if it was the other way round minus intel

>Want a case
>Everything that looks good doesn't include a optical drive bay
>have to have an optical drive due to work

Shit really sucks.

If you're talking about the Pro4 then I have this same mobo in my build. Like said, try an older GPU that definitely works. If nothing is being displayed after that point I'd make sure your PCI-E slot to see if anything is wrong with it or if your GPU is properly inserted into the PCI-E slot. If nothing happens then it's most likely the PSU but I'd still look into the mobo

shhh user, it's called natural selection for a reason

It's not really that surprising. Flash media has greatly outpaced the meager gb that DVD/Bluray was capable of.

The question should be, why hasn't your business converted over to a much better and efficient standard?

thoughts on i9 7900x ?

>Corsair 200R
my corsair obsidian 250d case had a fucked up power button, so i will keep believing corsair makes shit cases

look at the coolermaster silencio 550

Buy an usb driven extern one for 20$

consider suicide before picking intel

>current _year();
>not buying your case exclusively from fractal design

phanteks > nzxt > coolermaster = fractal

Either go full gaymer with 8700k or full value workstation with 1950X

please help me decide this case-anons

Do you need an external bay? The so quite.

No? Which ever one you like the look of more.

ah alright, that makes sense. Thank you user

nice, nice

This card, good memories.

But ryzen is made of glue and had high idle power draw

it might not work perfectly. the distance of the blower to the bracket is probably too short compared to reference rx580 or even vega.

These are all the current gen cards that Amazon has in stock.

MSI isn't that good

Ryzens aren't as good with old games as intel CPUs, but it's not going to matter anyway because it's still an old game, and therefore only a difference in how overkill your CPU is.

I accidently nuked my HDD with the wrong SATA power cable. What HDD should I get for storage on a gaymen PC? It will store games. I already have an SSD for my memory and the main games I play.

How do you kill a hard drive

Physical damage, say I hit the hard drive, I can fuck up the platters. Hard drives also die by themselves, they degrade, especially if you leave them along for a long period of time

ISO halp
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
$1000 USD
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
General desktop, gaming (mainly play League, CSGO), VR capable would be nice

With vidya prices so high, is it worth looking at prebuilts and swapping some parts out?

>with the wrong SATA power cable

>wrong SATA power cable

You should prolly get a new power supply with that hard drive bob.

Prebuult prices are up to because they use the same shit
Unless you find a really good deal it's best to wait

I'll be waiting for tax return anyway so hopefully prices crash by then.

They wont. Not even close.

One thing to throw in is that with the current GPU price inflation, the Titan XP might ironically be an option to the 1080Ti if you really want to buy at the current prices and only see waaay overpriced 1080Tis.

R8

pcpartpicker.com/list/xD7Mf8

>even all of the Titan Xp variants are out of stock now

RX 560 4GB for $150: a good deal?

Consider CL14 (B-die) memory
Consider a custom water loop bit your card probably won't be supported because I don't think it uses the FE PCB layout
Not generally but right now I guess

I'm going to replace the graphics card when is resolved. Might just do a hybrid mod desu.