Embedded device handhelds/old Sup Forums-core shit

Last thread was really fun so lets do it again, also some anons had questions about the nudingoo that I bought.
What's allowed:
MIPS-based devices
UMPCs
Hacced PSPs
etc you get the fucking point
What's not allowed:
Android, iOS. Fuck off with that shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_video_game_emulators&oldid=798457377#TurboGrafx-16
amazon.com/Handheld-Console-Retro-Classical-Children-Translucent/dp/B0779QLQP9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516935763&sr=8-2&keywords=retrogame
boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/revo-k101-shell-used-in-another-device/285/
aliexpress.com/store/group/Handheld-Game-Console/1197381_506555243.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.2756c23alGscuz
aliexpress.com/item/New-RS-97-RETRO-Handheld-Game-Console-Portable-Mini-Video-Gaming-Players-MP4-MP5-Playback-Built/32843489531.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.17106b0hIJnp4&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324_10547_10342_10325_10546_10343_10340_10548_10341_10545_10084_10083_10618_10615_10307_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_441_10624_442_10623_10622_10621_10620_10142,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_2&algo_expid=8b777c12-11a2-4f0f-ade3-7ae3f5277b04-0&algo_pvid=8b777c12-11a2-4f0f-ade3-7ae3f5277b04&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=4
youtube.com/watch?v=JV6lwLNkf5A
hackaday.com/2016/11/28/tiniest-game-boy-hides-in-your-pocket/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

About the RS-97
After only about a week of development, we have ported emulators running at the correct aspect ratio.
The screen is really amazing on this thing.

NES now runs and looks perfect, including disk system and special chip games like JP castlevania 3.

>tfw no handheld fpga console

Here's picodrive running s3c.
It's mostly full speed but still has some hiccups here and there.
The sound is accurate however, so even with this unoptimized hackjob port it's a better deal than buying those $20-30 chink genesis handhelds.

Make one.
There's a shit ton of boards, LCD panels etc that you can get on ali nowadays.
You can 3D print a shell for it too.

GBA runs OK. Some games like sonic advance 2 are fullspeed but fire emblem and FF V were pretty sluggish.
Still, the A320 was doing GBA at full speed so this is an optimization issue.

you all have smart phones but you fuck around with clone handheld systems. Seriously wtf do I come on this shit board for...

inb4 "ur a chink shill"

I bought and paid for this thing with my own money and will make nothing if people know/buy these things.
I just miss the old scene and want it back.
I hate that we have phones and tablets with 8 gigs of ram but their shitty CPU architecture and garbage, pajeet-tier javashit OS makes them utterly useless.

I miss when technology wasn't made for the explicit purpose of spying on you.
MIPS doesn't have any hardware backdoors, respects my freedoms, and as you can see from the rapid work being done on this, it's completely open.
This may not be a UMPC, but it's pretty damn capable and I love the idea of having a small, linux based MIPS machine in my pocket.
Yes, I wonder why a device that does it's job well with relatively generic components would be liked by people more than a shitty jack-of-all-trades spying device with at most 2 hours of screen on time.

You're on a tech board and whining about people liking dedicated hardware. Seriously, why the fuck does your bitch ass even come to this board?

fyi I would suggest you avoid pic related.
It has the same Ingenic JZ47xx chipset as the dingoo and nudindoo, but it's much lower binned that even the original, so it's likely that it won't get much development or run any emulators well. It's also missing 2 buttons for SNES.
The PAPkIIIP and RS-97 are based on the much faster JZ4760 (the gcwzero uses the JZ4760, only difference is clockspeed) I like the latter for the higher PPI screen and more compact form factor.

A shame too, cause I like the GB/C form factor even more than the RS-97's GBA micro FF.

to laugh at poorfags like you

>wow, I forgot that gcw thing existed, i bet it's super cheap now
>still 150 yuros, nowhere to be found on ebay
Welp, I'll be sticking with muh PSP then
Speaking of which, anybody know a PC-Engine/Turbografics emulator that actually works on there? I don't know if it's the emulator I had downloaded or the Ghosts and Goblins ROM but I've had no luck getting it to work

Still have my 128gb psp. I really need to replace the housing and case sometime. It's still my favorite way to emulate old games. Can't beat physical buttons in bed

3 snack sized endangered sea turtles have been deposited to your account.

what's the left one's name
can't tell if it's an a or an o

GCW Zero
>5 years old now

Nothing as streamlined as I want. I'm also not sure how power hungry the cheaper fpgas like the artix or cyclone 10 are

Yeah the GCW is essentially dead. It sucks too, was really powerful. Thankfully most of the software is well-written and portable to those other devices.
Check wololo for psp emulators and stuff, I remember playing rondo of blood on mine.

are homebrew only consoles allowed?

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_video_game_emulators&oldid=798457377#TurboGrafx-16

owo what's this

Wait, are these handhelds still stuck in the last decade?

I'm just saying, the Caanoo was pretty decent, but why the fuck would you buy today a handheld over $100 that is the same fucking thing essentially? I want one that can do PS1 -and- SNES without trouble. At this point, Vita, 3DS, PSP, all got it better. These people need to step it the fuck up.

Physical buttons are much better than touch screen.

The RS-97 does snes well.
My guess is that they can't use a 3D accelerated chipset while using the same software. They would need the proprietary drivers.
These MIPS devices are 2D accelerated, though they were running quake half speed PS1 emulators.

Even the PSP was kinda inaccurate with its PS1 emulation though, so my autism keeps with tied with mednafen.

original Gamebuino

I've got a Gamebuino Meta preordered but the library looks like a disappointment (the official way to play music/sound is to stream WAV audio from the SD card...)

Why this and not a freeplay zero?

Just don't get the clear ones, they tend to be made out of super brittle plastic
Only kikestarter I regretted not backing

>raspberry pi
might as well just use my phone

the Gamebuino uses the atmega328, so it has some pretty hardcore hardware restrictions (16MHz CPU with 2k RAM), making developing for it more interesting imo

I want something like this but with a proper hardware synthesizer.
Hopefully that would stop people from gutting gameboys

Should i buy NEW 2DS XL to play DS games? Can it play GBA, or any other console games natively too?

Guess I don't mine posting old handheld device in the past I collected. Also, don't mind posting my UMPC collection but I guess everyone here now know my over a year old one.

Forgot to add for people who want to know about this unit.

GP2X- F100
GP32 FLU
REVO K101+

I had the GP32 and when the GP2X came out I wanted one so bad but I didn't have the money. Did it actually do anything the GP32 didn't, though?

don't need to gut 'em, just get some aftermarket cases

Is been a while but the GP2X have two processor with a slight speed increase of clock speed, more ram, and a storage which isn't hard to get at the time and cheaper over the GP32.

Depend on what you're using for, the GP2X might be better for the emulation by a bit but other than that, nothing too crazy. I would say the big advantage is really come down to storage as SD card is much easier to get now as the GP32 SmartMedia isn't big to start with and isn't cheap to get now.

ah shit I remember that now, the devs could never use the 2nd CPU to it's full potential because it had to be "fed" by the 1st CPU. Also considering the GP32 already had full speed SNES and SMD emulation it wasn't a big step up.

I guess the other minor advantage is the touch screen if you got the GP2X F200 but I can't call that a touch screen but more like a pen you need to use to touch the screen itself. Some homebrew games do use it but very few.

Either way, you're not missing out too much except the storage which is better on the GP2X over the GP32.

I didn't know these were a thing, cool.

What are the homebrew-friendly or "tinker" platforms over just straight emulators?

I have a pic related and while it's cool in theory it ends up being impractical to code AND play on, I'd rather write something on an actual computer then push it over to the handheld.

Didn't attach the fucking picture. Anyway don't buy a PocketCHIP, not that you could.

Whatever lets you upload compiled files.
So even simple Gameboy with a flash cart is good.

Rad, is there like dev communities or anything? Searching for stuff related to the RS-97 is churning up a lot of unrelated sites

Look for "[insert your desired platform here] homebrew", it should give you links to forums at the first page.
But what's RS-97, I don't know, so I doubt I can provide any help here

remember seeing one before
think it was called Arduboy or some shit
never even used it, just heard of it
does seem interesting though

Stop namefagging

Any recommendations on sellers?

it's 10 bucks cheaper on ali - coolboy RS-97
It's also on amazon amazon.com/Handheld-Console-Retro-Classical-Children-Translucent/dp/B0779QLQP9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516935763&sr=8-2&keywords=retrogame

Here's the dingoonity thread where you can find the emulators and future development.
boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/revo-k101-shell-used-in-another-device/285/

I love my a320 but it's flaws are starting to show compared to the psp.
The lack of being able to hold proper time is really not good for the a320 but it's applications are very nice.

It's nine year old hardware, might be time to replace it user.
Post pics though, did you install opendingux?

LOL who namefags in 2018!?!

Fucking autistic.

I knew this thread would be sperg city. I just wanted to see the "hype" behind these outdated gayboys.

AND HIS NAME IS BLADE AHAHAHA. How edgy.

I have one, it sucks.
>just lube the buttons user
lul

I remember reading something about the first batch having shitty buttons, and that they were selling replacements.
I used it to fuel my non-buyers remorse

Thanks, do appreciate the spoon feed. Are the sellers on ali essentially interchangeable on this? I checked both places before, just not sure if $10 less is worth the possibility of getting chinked.

Buy from datafrog, they're pretty good about not chinking buyers.

You're the one whining that we're buying stuff that our smartphones already do, sounds like you're the poorfag.

Can't seem to find anything with "coolboy RS-97" or "RS-97" on DataFrog's store. Looks like these are the only handhelds they have.
aliexpress.com/store/group/Handheld-Game-Console/1197381_506555243.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.2756c23alGscuz

>It has the same Ingenic JZ47xx as the dingoo
Shit that's neat, my first emulator's CPU is from the same line as my first SBC's.

6.60 vita with homebrew can do everything a psp can do and more, correct?

huh, looks like datafrog either stopped selling them or they sold out
>aliexpress.com/item/New-RS-97-RETRO-Handheld-Game-Console-Portable-Mini-Video-Gaming-Players-MP4-MP5-Playback-Built/32843489531.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.17106b0hIJnp4&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324_10547_10342_10325_10546_10343_10340_10548_10341_10545_10084_10083_10618_10615_10307_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_441_10624_442_10623_10622_10621_10620_10142,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_2&algo_expid=8b777c12-11a2-4f0f-ade3-7ae3f5277b04-0&algo_pvid=8b777c12-11a2-4f0f-ade3-7ae3f5277b04&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=4
Same one, and actually a bit cheaper than what datafrog had.
It's also on amazon if you don't want to wait a gorillion years.
Also, if you decide to buy it and have attended any koding with klossy classes, do help out with development pls.

Yes

Thats the power of mips user
What sbc was it?

Never taken any classes "for girls 13-18 years old", but I doubt I'd be much help in that regard otherwise.

Creator Ci20

Sup Forums-core shit coming thru

>6.61 Pro-infinity
damm never heard of that, what's the difference?
I have a fat PSP and I'm thinking about replacing the screen since the colors are all washed up and gives a weird motion effect towards black colors when you're moving around

I would have literally murdered someone to get my hands on one of those when they came out.
Took me a long time to get over my lust for it.
Fucking german faggots overpricing everything

It can't be helped

Man I want to get a GP32 and GP2X but they are getting hard to find for decent prices.

I had a Pandora. What a great device, but it broke down on me, the case sucked ass. I sold it off finally after it stopped working to someone who wanted it for parts. I was hoping the new pyra would come out soon, it's been like 2 year since then. Fuck me.

i have this:
perfect price and idea but low quality keyboard and not opensource software

>Look up RS-97 on aliexpress
>$50 for something with shit emulators
>Not just spending that money on an 8bitdo controller for your smartphone
Absolutely howling at these people and their "dedicated" hardware. Shit is just as general purpose as any smartphone.

Hell ya mofo
>shit Sup Forums was founded on

i have this:
perfect price and idea but low quality keyboard and not opensource software

>spending that money on an 8bitdo controller for your smartphone
yeah it's just so fucking convenient to have a separate controller

hackaday.com/2016/11/28/tiniest-game-boy-hides-in-your-pocket/

No less than carrying a whole separate device you tardy.

At least my emulator's still useful if my phone dies.

Not when your Chinese battery dies after 2 hours away from a plug socket, well that's if it doesn't burst and set your cock on fire first.

If the battery life was that poor I'd have upgraded the battery and underclocked it depending on what I was doing

You could do or just stick with the superior option of using a smartphone.

I could carry around a controller that I nigrig with my cellphone to play games, or I could carry a dedicated device that takes up as much space as the controller would and is completely independent of the phone. I'm going to go with the emulator.

Anyone know how to fix drifting analog sticks on the PSP?

Who had one of these?

>MIPS

I did and I miss it. Neither my Vita or my 3DS are as comfy and both have pisspoor battery life, just like my phone.
Any modern handheld like that seems to be android based trash.

If you anons want a handheld for ganoo plas lonis, then check out pic related. Only problem is that it's crowdfunded and the bezels are fucking huge.