How did Apple do it?

>Released the same year, at roughly the same time
>One looks aesthetic as fuck while still retaining a professional appearance, the other looks like fisher price garbage designed for autistic toddlers

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/p5keacyh3mkugo3/ChicagoFLF.ttf?dl=0
webupd8.org/2017/02/alternative-global-menu-for-mate-and.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm confused, they both look like fisher price garbage to me.
Except windows got worse after 7, whilst in the aethsetic sense, macOS only seems to get better (at the cost of extreme bloat however imo)

>>One looks aesthetic as fuck while still retaining a professional appearance, the other looks like fisher price garbage designed for autistic toddlers

>a fruity toddler toy company made a fruity toddler toy OS
Truly shocking.

Turn of the century was a weird time. Anyone who claims XP was good never used it prior to SP2, and they're probably too young to be on this site anyway

At least XP was consistent, unlike W10.

Steve Jobs.

>Using default

This is something I've been wondering about for a long time now. These days XP love is so common, but back when XP came out, people around where I live hated the OS. They insisted they'd never upgrade from 98SE or 2k. I never used it much myself, since I was one of the people that kept using 2k before switching to Fedora Core and Gentoo.

The fact that everyone at Microsoft thought the screenshot on the right looked "good" shows exactly the sort of tasteless corporate trash is employed at that company

Always thought XP was quite inferior to 7. But I'm pretty young, and grew up with 7, so I'm probably pretty biased.

Feel like the exact same could be same about the left image and Apple. Only thing I think apple nailed better than microsoft in this era is the colour palette.

The fact that everyone at Apple thought looked "good" shows exactly the sort of tasteless numale faggots employed at that company

Most people my age think pic related was XP

>when i have the dock settings to put my icons to 200% scale, they will grow bigger
What a shock!

>tries to copy mac's "glossy" look and feel but fails miserably
Literally all this theme does is apply a transparent gradient to controls, there's no consistency and it looks like shit.

The apple interface feels like a physical "device", though. It has visual and internal consistency.

kek
at least apple offers the option to have such a ridiculous zoom
if windows had this feature it'd be locked down as hell and would probably be obtrusive to use without a registry hack

>tfw Sup Forums thinks Pajeetsoft is better than Apple

>tfw iPajeets think Appjeet are better than Pajeetsoft

Nope, i think majority of Sup Forums thinks
Linux > Crapple > Pajeetsoft
Aaaaannd I just took the bait...

iPAJEETS BTFO

I was running Windows ME at the time which was truly bad so when XP came around it was a breath of fresh air. Still it's horrible compared to pretty much everything that came after. I don't know why people cling to it.

People are nostalgic and hate change. XP was never good. Windows 7 was the first good version of Windows.

Yeah but the alternatives was Windows ME. Windows XP was the "more stable" between the two. Windows98SE had hit the sweet spot of stability and features but Windows XP was still a marked inprovement upon it. Being able to plug USB devices in without BSOD alone was worth it. I didn't jump directly onto because Windows98 was working just fine. Once I bricked my 98 install by leaving my computer run for 90 days straight I had no real attachment to the OS and moved on to XP.

And after all these years Apple still has shit window management.

I WANT TO GO BACK

I NEED TO GO BACK

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Remember how on iBooks you used to be able to pinch the top of the keyboard and take it off? Those were the days.

Both look pretty fisher price to me.

Would you be satisfied with a complete theme for KDE or LXQT?

Because I'm thinking about making one. I really miss Snow Leopard era OSX.
I've managed to collect almost all the assets, I just need to put it together.

>XP was never good.
Wrong.
XP was very good, and solid, building off the strength of Win2k.
Anyone who thinks XP wasn't good didn't use prior versions of Windows.

this was the last version of mac OS that was aesthetic

relatively solid foundation choice in BSD, but "Aqua" was a mistake and if you think it looked, or looks good you're stupid

iToddlers will defend this.

I liked both

Until like 10.3, Aqua didn't actually look that nice. Was really "modern" looking though at the time.
looks really gumdroppy now
Luna's a bit too saturated for its own good, but I liked it, even if it really, truly does take way too many design cues from literal toddler toys.

shit, got redmondxp as my window decorations right now because it looked better than all the other XFWM themes

mate, I got XP within two months of release
was absurdly better than ME

Royale looked nifty when it was current, but doesn't look as nice as Luna does now.

platinum is ideal and I consistently wish actual mainline OSX looked like OSX Server 1.0 did
it's really fucking slick and professional looking

linux is better anyways so who cares

How will iPoojeets defend this?

DUDE
HORIZONTAL LINES
LMAO

Yeah man, pinstripes are the best.

Anyone who claims XP prior to SP2 was NOT good never used Windows Me.

lol found the autist that just install ubuntu for his first time

"It was good because it wasn't a kick in the dick again"

Truly all the legacy XP deserves

>Anyone who thinks XP wasn't good didn't use prior versions of Windows.

This.

No, prior versions of Windows were also bad. XP was more tolerable but still shit. Mac OS was better, and OS X was miles ahead even if it wasn't fully til 10.4. Only with Windows 7 did Microsoft catch up.

You're forgetting everyone getting virus and their computer's hijacked every other week because XP had such terrible security. It wasn't until sp1 that things started slowly getting better

True.

But one actually worked and had applications and vidya.. The other was slow as fuck, kernel panic a lot, and had no applications. No gaems too.

You never used it prior to SP2 then.

I was using W98 'till I got a new PC with XP SP2.

Stay with XP until 7. And I'm still on 7...

Keepin' the dream alive my friends, stay lit.

How did you get the top application menus to work?

I've tried to use TopMenu but it crashes most things like the xfce terminal

>98SE

95 OSR2 + the USB support pack.

It could run everything 98 could, but without the bloat.

>look guys, I fucked with the dock settings and now it looks ridiculous! isn't apple stupid?

Topmenu is ass. Try vala-appmenu-xfce. I run fedora (which requires some scripting), it works fine in xubuntu and arch without scripting binded menus.

Here's a screenie of my OS without the os9 look.

Is there a way to run old versions of macOS (ie. 9.2-10.1) in a virtual machine that's hosted on Linux? I've found a lot of resources for Windows-hosted VMs but nothing for Linux.

>closet homosexuality

?

Nigga please. The fact you had to shit post shows you're jelly af.

#insecurites

Best DE at that time was for GNU/Linux. Really.
Just look on KDE2 (2000), Gnome 1(1999), Gnome 2(2002), KDE3 (2002)...

They were really ahead of their time... They are still pretty decent, Gnome 2 now is still used (MATE)...

Yes my nigga
>what is qemu?
Next I'll take kvm for $600, thx alex.

My dude, I grew up on gnome2. Mate is NOT gnome 2. Its close, don't get me wrong, but its not gnome 2.

Also KDE was ass, still is ass, and will always be ass.

>not liking the windows aesthetic
>liking the hipster aesthetic instead
lol, faggot.

Differnt folks, different stokes my nigga.

>Mate is NOT gnome 2
It is not, but it is started as a fork...
>I grew up on gnome2.
Me too. First time I tried Gnome... It was pirated red-hat linux on 3 CDs, and I was like 5. After that I tried Ubuntu 10.10, when I was like 9-12....
>Also KDE was ass, still is ass, and will always be ass.
I am not sure how it was, but Plasma 5 is cool.

I will admit that KDE had some phenominal improvements over the years, I was a big fan of kde 3 and a HUGE fan of kde4. I was sad when support for 4 was dropped. I started using xfce when I realized that its perfect though. Nice throw back theme. It still works on xfwm4.

Did you build it yourself or does fedora have a repo?

XFCE is cool, but XFWM4 is shit, because it doen't work on my machine. (tearing on intel HD 5000, still no solution, but install KWin... However, this shit works without problem on G41 Intel integrated shit, where even Windows XP teared badly)

How the fuck do you even do that and why do you not like the comfy stock look? You fucking tinfoil hats.
Also, posting best girl wallpaper.

On Fedora you kinda have to build it yourself. Its easy af though. If my black ass can do it, I'm sure you can. If you have fedora let me know and I'll send you the git (or you can search vala-appmenu-plugin)

I have 9 computers, and the only computer it tears on is an AMD x64 Sempron (Compaq Presario) with a graphics card from the 90's. And even then, I can just enable sync to verticle bank, or use compton, and the problem is solved. I can look into the tearing on intel HD 5000. I only have 2 intel devices to test tearing on. Normally xfce works fine with intel graphics. What distro are you using?

>macOS
>siri enabled
>discord
>wallpaper doesnt match screen res

you can't make this shit up

I'm a software guy, what doesn't work for me, I make it work. I can make any linux distro look like what ever the fuck I want to look like. Also best waifu does science, not witchcraft.

forgot my screenie

>discord
Well I don't really use that. I just installed it to talk to some audio production guys so they could help me with a song I was making.

>Also best waifu does science, not witchcraft
You take that back right now.
I don't even know who she is.

>I can just enable sync to verticle bank
Doesn't help.
>or use compton,
Doen't help either. And that is strange, because on fucking virtual machine it helped.
>What distro are you using?
Was using Xubuntu 17.10 (with dangerous UEFI shit, because YOLO), and openSUSE Tumbleweed.
Same problems. However, on Intel HD 2500 on Sandy Bridge Pentium - no tearing.
On KDE - no problems. On XFCE with KWin - unstable as a fuck, but no tearing.
The only guess is that in MacBook Air CPU is somehow different.
What font?
>I don't even know who she is.
kurisu des

makes me feel like the mid 2000s
and its so comfy and cute

Drop everything you're doing, and watch steins;gate, play the visual novel too. Krisu is my waifu for life.

What the fucking fonts are u using??/111

>Krisu is my waifu for life
>Waifu
Lol, this fucking guy... Still uses the word "waifu". Get on my level, kid. Akko is not my waifu anymore, she is my wife.

>discord

>One looks aesthetic as fuck while still retaining a professional appearance, the other looks like fisher price garbage designed for autistic toddlers
you mean xp looks professional while apple looks like fisher price garbage designed for autistic toddlers

>fagOS

Meh, it was alright. Definitely worth a watch, but I wouldn't go as far as to say "drop everything you're doing".

>Doesn't read the replies

I remembered having to use Windows ME, basically it boiled down to having to reformat once every few months. W2k and XP was truly a godsend. XP SP1 was shit though.

That is odd, the intel hd5000 should be able to handle it easily, though I'm not sure why it would tear. This may sound cliche, but maybe an Arch based distro would have more up to date drivers for your set-up. Try (Anarchy Linux), they have a live desktop mode preinstalled with xfce. By default the installer (with internet enabled) should be able to pick up your setup. . .

Font is the original Os9 font, 'chicago'.

if not, you may have to use mate + compiz. You can still use the vala-app-menu and gtk+ themes to mod the desktop to look however you'd like it. The vala appmenu works the same as it does in xfce in mate.

That's what I aim for! lots of people see my desktops and laptops and think I'm some retro fetishist. I also have some dank themes that mimic Amiga, Commadore, windows 3.1, ect... I grew up with tech from the olden times.

>applel
lmao

iToddler street shitters will defend this.

I gave up on trying to run tear-free XFCE on hd5000... I will wait for xfwm4 to update.
But for a now, KDE is power,
>I don't even know who she is.
Thnks

The weather bar rotates with an animation that updates every few seconds, think, "ROLLING PIN", it never stops. All that other shit is editable lol. I'm only posting this for the sake of the thread my nigga.

Sure thing, but watch the anime at least, its really good. I'll check out witch academia sometime.

CHICAGO from os9x.

I just really love the visual novel. I can play it 1000 times and never get bored from the story.

How did Apple do what?
I'm seeing
>less vertical space for actual programs, with the larger dock at the bottom and menu bar up top
>despite that, no way to launch any installed program without opening Finder and dicking around in Macintosh HD
>less customizability
Royale looked pretty slick, not like the default Luna theme. And if that still wasn't to your liking, you could switch to Classic and customize the color, font and size of every element.

>watch the anime at least
Will do, I mean my vidya backlog isn't gonna ignore itself.
>I'll check out witch academia sometime
Stay away from my wife, I hope you become a Sucyfag instead.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

dropbox.com/s/p5keacyh3mkugo3/ChicagoFLF.ttf?dl=0

Here, have a sample. I did this 'specially for you if you're still here.

>XP was bad
NT was light years ahead of the original Windows product, but the transition took nearly ten years because of its inherent cross-platform bloat (everything written in C above the HAL)

>Would you be satisfied with a complete theme for KDE or LXQT?

Yes i was actually running Debian PPC on my macbook G4 before it went kapput. I love the leopard aesthetic but software support became too much to handle.

Might not ever get it back, Im sure a bad powersupply nuked the mainboard.

FUN FACT. g4 macs used 24 volts over 2.5mm headphone jack... i once made an emergency PS for $1.50

You're waifu is safe, because I'm a sucker for glasses.

I have compiled it multiple times with different arguments on xubuntu and it doesnt come up in the add new items to panel menu, I kinda gave up on it. That's why I asked if there was a repo

user can u marry me and like let our children have comfy desktops

webupd8.org/2017/02/alternative-global-menu-for-mate-and.html

sorry dude, I speed read and though you had fedora like me, try this method.

!! BE SURE TO ONLY DO THE XUBUNTU STEPS!!! the mate steps will automatically install mate, because ubuntu does that.

Lets do this.

Cool

I know that it looks like ass, but I can't be bothered to play with themes too much.