Learn to code

Hey Sup Forums ! It's my first time here and i want to learn how to code,how do i do it and what is the best way to begin it ?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. pick any language
2. pick any project
3. google how to make it work

start with python

I implemented as many things as I could on Project Euler when I first was getting into it

what's a good project that's large but relatively simple do to?

Read SICP.

make yourself a handheld game emulator

Exactly the same question asI was about to do that actually,many people told me it was one of the easiest language

Start with the Greeks

install gentoo

A Knuth is fine, too

Mergesort in c

Outdated, HtDP is better

>any language
>google

just dont use java or go and you'll mostly be fine and google is botnet

don't start with python, C, lisp, or any of the shitty Sup Forums memes, it will permanently mold you into a brainlet

start with a proper language that professionals use like java or C++

docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

I work for Oracle and you're full of shit

I keep seeing job postings asking for people with Ruby/Python/C#/JS
Only a few have ever asked for C++

do you want to be a programmer or do you want to be lazy web dev soyboy with no job security

Sidescroller game?

>soyboy
Fuck off cunt

How do I learn regular expressions? I just want to be able to use the filter on Sup Forums X.

Start with something simple

Then read up on how a computer memory register works. It helps when you realize all programming is just looking up records in a sequential table (not really), that's all it is.

Read C 2nd edition by K&R. Google Computer Science using C++ by Knowlton-Hunt. Read that. Browse DPT and ask questions.

And for the love of fuck, LEARN POINTERS. It's not that hard and it pays off to understand them. Too many recent grad Java brainlets don't understand pointers.

C++ is great, practical, and used. Alternatively, learn java or C#. Web dev is big and will only get bigger, contrary to what Sup Forums NEETs will tell you.

Really all languages are the same, in theory. It depends on the market you want to get into. Once you get the core concepts of computing, algorithms, data structures, memory management etc it becomes more using the right tool for the job [spoiler] or whatever shitty language your employer wants because fuck it its a paycheck and it's a lot better than most stem jobs [/spoiler]

Think more brainlet

Brainlet here.
Haven't learned pointers yet, but I thought they work somewhat like passing an object as a parameter to a method in Java, where the object's address in the heap is passed, only that in C you can do that with stack addresses too with the $ operator or something similar.

Chose a language and find a well regarded book to work through. Or take a class at a community college, which is what I did.

python's interpreter aka REPL

learn python, its easy and will help learn the basic of programming plus its a decent scripting language with a lot of support.

What's the issue with Go?

By using them.

Reverse a binary tree

>the Greeks
>Calculus
get a load of this baka

just copy whatever software you use the most

Python is garbage. Its syntax is absolute trash, its ecosystem is a dependency hell, different versions aren't even compatible with each other, trash oop implementation, python doesn't teach you anything, it only teaches you how to import other people's modules. The only good thing about this heap of trash is IDLE which is a nice substitute for a calculator. Anyone who's just starting out should just learn C.

What are some good, comprehensive videos or lectures on (general or C) programming for beginners?

Obviously there's SICP, but other shit too. Most things I've looked for turn up mostly some con talk or a guest lecture by Kernighan to third year CS people, so I can understand bits, but most of it is over my head.

The most important thing is to not listen to the Sup Forums retards who keep saying that one language is above the others. Being language agnostic and able to pick up any language as necessary is crucial.

Is it even worth knowing how to code anymore? It seems like everything is going to be automated, and open source projects don't make any money.

This desu.

Pick a project that's meaningful to YOU.

Start reading the syntax of the language, seat down and just start.

When you get stuck google it and make it work.

To add onto this:

4. You're only hobby now is to code. Be prepared to put the average play time 3-4 DOTA 2 players before you begin to get decent at any language

read some book and code shit at the same time