Am I the only one who hates this "modern" flat look?

macOS, W*ndows, even some modern linux DE's all have this Godawful flat look to them. No styling at all, they all look the same.

>why i use xubuntu with a mixture of stock themes and icons, nice window boarders and icons with actual effort put into them

Because normies like it for some reason.
At least GNU/Linux allows you to choose a more old-school look, while keeping the OS itself modern in terms of security updates.

Flattened aesthetics on a flat screen makes sense to the eye. Do you really want the WinXP Media Center Edition with nonsensical shadows all over hell?

'Flattening' the first layer or background and adding one single shadow on top of things makes most mobile programs accessible by touch without much frustration.

>mobile programs accessible by touch
STOP DOING THIS ON OUR FUCKING DESKTOPS

i'm not talking about the shadows dumbfuck, i'm talking about the level of detail in icons or menu boarders. they all look plain as fuck

You absolutely are talking about shadows.

>windor boarder detail
>icon detail

>u talking about shadows

The flat look is difficult to use. You don't know what is a button or just a label. I have no clue if something is scrollable or not because now they hide the scrollbars when it's staying still. Everything is scaled to shit - either too large or too small and it's not consistent between interfaces.

Literally no one cares. At all what you say. You are just one person out of millions actually voting with their wallet instead of whining.

>You are just one person out of millions actually voting with their wallet instead of whining
Windows uses this "modern" look with no option to not use it.
MacOS uses this "modern" look with no option not to use it.
GNU/Loonix thankfully gives you choices, but being that the OS is free in price as well as your freedom, "vote with your wallet" doesn't really apply.

In other words, voting with your wallet doesn't work here because there's nothing else to vote for.

Most things non-rice look like shit. Try having a flat + transparent terminal with a good background

>transparent terminal
Unless the opacity is at 90-99, don't do this if you care about workflow

Compton makes it easy to set the active / inactive transparency for windows.

I like looking at my wallpapers.

then it'll look even shittier. transparent things are sometime nice in the terminal but not in core parts of your OS like the main GUI

>using a DE
i3 only master race

not practical if you're not a heavy programmer

>not a heavy programmer

you're a contrarian, grats

GUIs used to take skill, now pajeet and tommy the art student are in charge.

Yes

curious, why i3 over bspwm?

You can make it look worse OP.

>"wish I could turn back time"
>"to the good old days"

>What is donating to the projects you like and possibly support the addition or modification of things in those projects by helping them with money

>Arc for gtk2 with breeze icons
>default gtk3
fight me