Autechre

Are they actually talented or just another pair of pretty faces?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YpUSwOGkRRw
youtube.com/watch?v=UMPUze0MN2M
youtube.com/watch?v=eYNGy5k53k8
youtube.com/watch?v=-vWoxs47oiE
youtube.com/watch?v=pSnkEqbnHhE
youtube.com/watch?v=QLXzSefzVWU
youtube.com/watch?v=DdBD3PrdwlE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

its music for antisocial nerds who want to think they have good taste in music

what does this expression convey?

its a board for antisocial nerds who want to think they have good taste in music

Confield turned 15 yesterday lads

lol, right?

Sampling and talent? Real talent can not only compose but more importantly, perform. Sampling is not performance.

This is the most groundbreaking album of the decade

oy, m8

someone should put that into microsoft emotion recognition. i'd do it but i don't feel like logging into my windows system and installing it.

i like that album a lot, but was it really groundbreaking? it just seemed like a refinement and expansion of their past ideas.

Has Autechre even sampled since Untilted?

yeah, on quaristice (the plc) and exai (deco loc), and those are just the ones that are confirmed - there are probably more that are bit more fucked with or obfuscated. though often when they do sample it's not from other artists, but from sounds that they have created/recorded themselves - whether from field recordings, or glitches in their gear etc.

irlite doesn't sound like anything else they've done that I can recall. Regardless, ae are very far ahead of anyone else making electronic music.

The snare in recks on was sampled from '80s hip hop.

what do these expressions convey?

did they sample a particular track or did they just lift it directly from the source (irrc sean said it's from an em-u)? do you know?

yeah it doesn't really sound like anything else. it does have that classic ae side chaining tho.

absolute ladmen the both of em

You can hear the same snare all over Cocteau Twins' Treasure, and Robin Guthrie said they used a E-mu Drumulator modded with samples of "When the Leeve Breaks". So, they either sampled that snare directly, or they used a sample pack of that particular drum machine.

They said in the watmm Q&A that 95% of their stuff is synthesis nowadays.

why didnt you lads tell me autechre were proper badmans
youtube.com/watch?v=YpUSwOGkRRw

am i the only one hoping that some variation of the "track" at 1:01:05 ends up on the next album?
youtube.com/watch?v=UMPUze0MN2M
one of my favorite motifs from the ae_live sets

this remix bangs on a proper system. they should do more in this vein imo

Confield > Chiastic Slide > Tri Repetae > Exai > Incunabula > Untilted > Amber > Quaristice > Draft 7.30 > LP5

What about Oversteps?

Also why is Draft 7.30 so low?

I'd put Oversteps after Quaristice
It's not that I dislike Draft 7.30 it's just that the others are better imo

I'm gay for them desu especially Rob

Favourite artists
Halfway through another discography run
I love them

One of the most talented musicians of all time honestly.

you didn't know that already from cavity job mate?

>autechre
>sampling

Since Confield their music got more generative and generative with each record. Autechre are probably the last artist in electronica you can take as a typical example of sampling. Most of their samples are made by their own indeed.

What Autechre album should I listen to today lads?

>performance
>real talent

>real talent can not only compose but more importantly, perform
>more importantly

>sampling is not performance

both. i would love to be gang banged by them both or just one idc ill take what i can get desu

Quaristice desu man

Cool tossing it on in a few

theyre a paradox to me. simultaniously lowclass, crass, and uneducated yet highly cultured, intellectual, and high brow

favourite Quaristice tracks?? from all the Quaristice material

Amber

How are they crass or uneducated

My favourite too user

All the Plc variations, nofour, io (mons), chenc9, altibzz, fol4, tkakanren

Underrated era

quaristice and exai are awful 2bh

pleb 2 the max guy

Maximum plebbo guy

Perlence ma boi

Exai is really great, though. There's a lot of material to digest and process - most people aren't up for 2 hours of Autechre - but it's varied yet stylistically cohesive and a majority of the tracks are strong. It's surprisingly hard to cut the album down to, say, a one hour run time imo.

Quaristice was an interesting enough experiment/development and had a few standout tracks, but it was an incredibly mixed bag and most of the best material was left off the actual album. It definitely could have been better, especially considering how groovy the live tour supporting it was.

Altibzz
IO (mons)
The PlclCpC
plyPhon
Simmm
9010171-121
Theswere

some of mine

90101-5I-I
Fleure
vekoS
runrepik
spl9

play these loud and hope for the best

What ground does it break exactly?

excuse me, this "mixed bag" is easily one of my favourite albums by my favourite artists. I don't know why it just bangs and I love the raw blueness of the sounds.

Sorry sir I'm not reading this shite

That's understandable. They tend to base their work almost entirely around abstract emotions that are in many ways indefinable, so every listener is gonna feel and hear and see something different in each album due to subjective experiences and contexts. I suppose that's why many fans can't come to agreements over what their best or most essential albums are.

I do like Quaristice though. It does bang. They take some of their most straightforward techno and electro, mix it with some of their most beautiful ambient, and yet the inscrutable and erratic way of ordering the tracks somehow lead to a disorienting and unsettling sum despite the "accessible" nature of it's parts.

i don't know if that's really true, but for that album they were doing a lot more live jamming which made it sound different. They have probably switch to Max for their later stuff because they life doing things on the fly like that and it makes it easy to do. of course it's different. Thier early stuff was more ridged and organized like industrial music, now it's much more fluid like jazz music and plebs can't deal

erm...

lol, thank you for all the spurs wins sean!

same tbqh

whys surripere so fuckin good

this is the truth

>somehow lead to a disorienting and unsettling sum despite the "accessible" nature of it's parts
i can agree with this. most the tracks on quar are a bit eh on their own but are elevated in the context of the album. i feel the opposite of lp5 where the individual tracks are fantastic but as a whole it leaves me a bit cold.

>you will never meet and hang out with ae and talk about cybotron with them
why live at all

Would you really want to? They seem like they'd be autistic and difficult to talk to.

>not being an autist yourself and immediately connecting with other autistlads such as ae

lego feet > incunabula

youtube.com/watch?v=eYNGy5k53k8

not saying much 2bh

post classical ae

youtube.com/watch?v=-vWoxs47oiE

hdu incunabula is ace

i am like 100% certain that is a sean track

boop

youtube.com/watch?v=pSnkEqbnHhE

They make me proud to be British

Well I think they're shit. Don't know about talented, but they suck.

checked

Fuck him I love Richard Devine

has anyone ever noticed that rob looks eerily like roose bolton in that photo

I always thought he kind of looks like Clive Owen

I think he's had that same coat since around '98.

HAH, good one m8

Handsome af. Totally would bang

For the longest time I thought Rob was Sean and Sean was Rob because I was too lazy to look up who was who

for a long time i didn't know either of their names. i had seen that one interview though so i just thought of rob as silent creepy stoned dude and sean as nose-picking chav guy.

nice trips
youtube.com/watch?v=QLXzSefzVWU

I will kill myself if we don't get an album in 2016.

I will kill them is the album is yet another masterful, but predictable Exai-like album.

I will kill you if you kill my precious Rob and Sean.

Isn't that like every band discussed on here?

They totally ripped off Aphex in this track.

this is true, but the album's still good

>Autechre lost their magic after Untilted

can't disagree with this

great thread!

i don't get oversteps

I don't know, they used most of the same gear for Untilted and Quaristice - in fact much of the latter album is was sort of salvaged from the hardware boxes used for the Untilted tour. Structurally they're quite different (with Quaristice being more repetitive and Untilted being more progressive) but sonically they are quite similar - especially the drums. I actually find Quaristice to have a bit more depth seeing as there is definitely a lack of low-end on Untilted, besides the end of Augmatic Disport (also does Untilted seem uncharacteristically compressed to anyone else?). The reverb work on Quaristice is astounding imo.

They also seem to be focusing mostly on the dancier tracks - which are almost sonically consistent to a fault - and ignoring the ambient tracks as well as the the musique concrete influenced ones (Steels, Fol3) which certainly do have that "otherworldly" quality.

always makes me chuckle when people use the "far ahead of anyone else" meme. it's complete bullshit.

you're essentially saying: they sound like nothing else that i've heard so far, and so i'll overcompensate for the fact that i'm terrified of admitting my ignorance by asserting gratuitous confidence.

It is quite unique in their discography but just as LUSH as any other Autechre record.

My favourites are Qplay, See on See, Known(1), Yuop

it's too repetitive unlike other albums

That's one of my favorite AE albums. I like how it almost has a serialist tinge to it, they balance dissonance and harmony very well and it's their most impressive contrapuntally.

It's sort of like they reversed their formula: usually Autechre have very skittery and erratic beats, with very minimal melodies so it doesn't get too busy. On Oversteps they applied the same generative process to melodies (markov chains iirc) that they used for rhythms, creating that same sort of off-kilter effect, but they kept the beats more streamlined this time around. However, in cases such as qplay they're able to sort of interject the beats into the melody and sort of bind them together, making it feel really tight compositionally. It's just a really thought-out album.

was a little perplexed by that as well. i love untilted but it's prob their most mechanical album and perhaps their least melodic. it's pretty much all rhythm.

>I'm pretty sure this album was made with Elektron gear
It's all MaxMSP lol

Oh wow, I thought they were talking about Quaristice lol. Is that really a review for Exai?

Yes.

damn..

autechlife til tha next life

youtube.com/watch?v=DdBD3PrdwlE

It does sound quite a bit like Heliosphan, but it's still pretty different

Not gonna happen mate. 2017 will be the earliest.