Google Authenticater

The thing is amazing, but apparently there is no backup if you lose your phone.

What I mean by back up is that I have some sites always ask me for the 2fa code (I set it up that way on purpose). But then I was thinking, what if i lose my phone. I will never be able to sign back in and I will lose 74% of my assets.

Anyone figured a work around yet? Google has yet to do so. There is no account manager of sort on the Google authenticater app.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vedhavyas/twothy
reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/6vwk7p/what_happens_if_you_lose_your_phone_with_google/?st=jcx3galy&sh=3d669cdd
support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538?hl=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>what is authy?

somebody linked me this: github.com/vedhavyas/twothy

better than authy because it's open source but I am too lazy to set this up so no clue if and how it works exactly.
tell me how it works if you do set it up

>Not using FreeOTP

I bet you use a Chromebook as well.

Wat

You can save a backup of it anytime.

>Assets
If you're talking about a shitcoin exchange, I'd recommend keeping most of your assets in offline wallets and only transferring to the exchange to trade. I've been burned twice, first by crypsy, then by btc-e

>The thing is amazing, but apparently there is no backup if you lose your phone.
You can back it up if you have a rooted phone. Otherwise get the codes from the website you setup 2fa with.

I will look into this more tomorrow (8 hours from now) but it looks promising.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, because there is no back up for GA. You lose your phone then you will have no way of accessing sites that require it.

A small portion, but I do daily tradings so it's more convenient to keep everything there.

I use coinbase, which takes like three days to transfer funds (wallet to wallet). Not to mention 7 days to purchase crypto.

Also, this might help. It's what i've found so far.
reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/6vwk7p/what_happens_if_you_lose_your_phone_with_google/?st=jcx3galy&sh=3d669cdd

Okay, I just set it up. Works perfectly. I didnt try account recovery yet, dont really want to risk it with my real kucoin account but i tried the code generation

>FreeOTP
Why would I trust a progran that hasn't been updated for 2years

There was nothing to correct, it's feature complete and works well

Get a copy of the backup codes stupid. It tells you to do so.

no it doesnt

Authy, 1password, etc

Making a backup with titanium backup should work. Just save it on your pc and if you lose your phone restore it on a new phone/emulator

support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538?hl=en

use andOTP instead then

>Not using andOTP

botnet

>getting scammed into adhering to this insecure OTP bullshit.

having to hide the backup codes somewhere is a huge point of failure.

You do realise there are one-time use codes for all legit websites using 2fa right?

2FA is a joke. Just use a good password.

/thread
>Not using the free alternative that can do the exact same thing for less bloat.

And what is Google?

They don't work without a password. So at worst case you are still just as safe as if you only used a password.

>using 2FA
>not saving backup codes
If you lose access to your BTC you deserve it

>added authentication
>point of failure
Are you actually that stupid ?

>muh botnet
>doesn't know how to run 1password offline
>doesn't know how to use an application firewall
if you don't know these two things you're too dumb to need to worry about privacy

Just save a copy of the QR codes before scanning them.