Every OS Sucks

Every OS is trash. No exceptions.

>Windows XP
>unstable trash and looks like shit and has no drivers, not even updated anymore
>Windows Vista
>unstable glossy trash that consumes double the resources, also dropped for support
>Windows 7
>is somewhat stable with good driver support but lacks modern features and is prone to malware
>Windows 8.1
>made for tablets and is basically the retarded older brother of Windows 10
>Windows 10 Pro and LTSB
>screen tearing and artifacting everywhere, flat trash UI, fucking tiles everywhere, two settings apps, please wait while we restart, how can cortana help you?
>React OS
>more unstable than DOS based Winshit, lol what the fuck is a driver?

>MacOS 8 and 9
>unstable with no software, not even a command line to fix fuckups or dig into the system
>OS X Tiger
>runs like shit and has no software
>OS X Lion
>has some software but not enough and still runs like shit, lacks modern features
>OS X Sierra and High Sierra
>insecure and broken trash on every level with a billion useless features and UI glitches, and is ugly as fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

onmsft.com/news/microsoft-reportedly-working-on-new-lightweight-version-of-windows-10-code-named-polaris
marc.info/?l=9fans&m=111558805207697
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(operating_system)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>FreeBSD
>installer is ass and it has no software
>OpenBSD
>makes everything a pain in the ass to do, no software

>Gahnoo+Leenix
>forced to take Poettering's systemdick up your ass or settle for hobbyist trash with cobbled together neckbeard init scripts
>every single desktop environment is half baked shit that doesn't even have thumbnails in the Firefox file picker
>fucking Gnome devs are absolutely retarded, apps menu lags on an SSD, big babyish icons, thick title bars, dumb gestures, and it eats 2.5GB of RAM and 100% of one CPU core doing fucking nothing
>KDE is disgusting looking and filled with stupid worthless shit that pops up in my face like that motherfucking wallet bullshit
>Unity is gnome with a shitty panel and has all the same issues
>XFCE is ugly broken trash from 1999 that has nothing going for it except being light on resources (and modern features)
>Enlightenment is autistic and difficult to use
>tiling window managers and window managers in general discourage the use of the mouse or any other pointing devices making my life that much more difficult for no goddamn reason

Haiku OS is the only system I've used thus far that hasn't made my want to blow my head off with a shotgun, but it's insecure and has no software. Why is this allowed? Why is it all so terrible?

Make your own.

Hi terry, get back on your meds you bitch.

t.cia nigger who glows in the dark.

I came here to bitch. Delete this and stop posting things that make sense.

What about Android?

>tiling window managers and window managers in general discourage the use of the mouse or any other pointing devices making my life that much more difficult for no goddamn reason

Yeah I'm not committing 40k unintuitive key combinations to my memory just to have basic usability that can be achieved with a clear small icon and a click of a mouse.

There are no good application repos outside of the Jewgle botnet store, and 99% of Android phones have a locked bootloader and are lucky to get a year of updates and support. iOS is a shitshow where everything is locked down and the "file explorer" they finally implemented 10 years in doesn't do fuck except show you all of your photos and documents in one spot. You can't access system files. You can't even install apps without sideloading them with a computer. It's fucking ridiculous.

See I already know how to use my forearm, my wrist, and my fingers to grasp and move objects. This is why mice are a thing, faggot. I'm not learning all that bullshit.

This, but unironically.

Why isn't there a 3rd option, not Windows (or ReactOS) and not Unix-like? What the fuck?

This is what Plan9 was supposed to be, but then muh minimalism autists came along and found a way to ruin that too. It also doesn't do anything special.

Like I said in the OP, there's Haiku OS but it doesn't have any software. The web browsers for it all suck too. I've been trying to port Firefox for x86-64 but again I'm struggling to do this because Haiku is basically running every process as root, or with the equivalent permission level. So basically there's no way to have nice things.

This thread is not bringing glory to the creator.

>no networking
>handful of colors
>low resolution
>ring 0
It also sucks.

t. glowinthedark

Plan 9
DOS and FreeDOS
Amiga

But the question is: Is Windows 7 better than 10?

>is a small and dry turd in my mouth better than a gallon of diarrhea being funneled down my windpipe?
Sure.

that isnt korora faggotron

wmii

kys

Oh... so like this reddit-tier ricer bullshit where I have to open the configuration files in a text editor to add a clock widget? I'd rather stick my ballsack in a blender.

>Every OS is trash. No exceptions.
True. In practice, you find the reasonably least-trash OS and stick to that, which is how I got into all this Unix stuff.

Completely agree

Fanboyism over which OS is the best is the true cancer

Haiku

>every single desktop environment is half baked shit that doesn't even have thumbnails in the Firefox file picker
Even XFCE fucking 3 (The actual broken DE from 2002, XFCE 4 is great) does this. So wrong on so many levels.

plan9 is too unixlike

Kubuntu or Linux Mint Cinammon/KDE

Thank me later

>you find the reasonably least-trash OS and stick to that
In my opinion this would be Fedora with XFCE, but it's still hot garbage and I hate it. I'm about one more pulseaudio error notification away from stripping naked and living off berries in the woods.

No, it doesn't have thumbnails. I'm not talking about the preview in the side pane that shows up when you select a specific file. I want to see every single thumbnail for every single photo in that directory when searching for a reaction image to send to some cunt on /bant/ who got smart with me, but I can't see them because the Gnome devs are ignorant faggots. Relying on file names and searching for it is pleb-tier.

Ubuntu and all of its derivatives are shit, and Cinnamon is mediocre. It's ugly, it's slow, and it tries too hard to be modern when it isn't.

> forced to take Poettering's systemdick up your ass
No. I chose to use it. Best desktop / server init by far.

Incomparably much better than the horseshit you get on OSX or Windows, a lot better than earlier inits on Linux.

> or settle for hobbyist trash with cobbled together neckbeard init scripts
STILL basically better than any of the other OS' inits. Try again.

>>Windows 10 Pro and LTSB
>>screen tearing and artifacting everywhere
things that never hapen

Mount the EFI variables read on, Poettering, you stupid sack of shit. It's not a feature, it's a bug.

I used to hate systemd but it's miles ahead of sysv.

Still hate journald but the trade off is worth it.

>but the trade off is worth it
And this is why software is so shit these days.

>In my opinion this would be Fedora with XFCE, but it's still hot garbage and I hate it. I'm about one more pulseaudio error notification away from stripping naked and living off berries in the woods.
Oh yeah! I'm on Fedora too, but with KDE. Same problems with pulseaudio. You'd think the distro that is poster child of Poettering's autism would JustWerk, but apparently not.

Oh, it works, but it gives me notifications that tell me it isn't working. It's the most retarded thing on Earth. And sometimes to popup has two close buttons on it like the satirical ones that get posted here.

> *root* has rw access
I don't see the problem. You really can't randomly throw data around or delete things as root anyhow.

>muh root can do anything
It can't fix you retardation.

That's not true though. You only need ~10 key combinations to use i3, most of which are fairly intuitive.

Well no, most UEFI variables are AFAIK blocked from deletion on the kernel level anyhow.

But the one grub-install or such can change, yea, root can delete those. Same as you can delete Grub's essential files -or all your files, really.

>leave EFI vars rw because apparently systemctl needs to reboot to the BIOS setup
>this is the excuse little Harry Poettering gives as to why users are left vulnerable to hardware bricking
Just because Poettering is too stupid to press F1 at the splash screen doesn't mean I should be at risk of having my motherboard turned into a paperweight because of a bad EFI implementation. His attitude is one of laziness, one of "the OEM fucked this up so it's okay for me to fuck up too". Sane defaults are not always a sign of good software but insane defaults are always a sign of both bad software and a bad dev.

Why the hell should systemd compensate extra for *possible* extreme OEM fuckups when the kernel already handles a huge amount beyond what it even should have to handle?

Next thing you're going to ask it should verify firmware blobs for being safe and stable, and a forced chatwith a qualified redhat certified system administrator that verifies whether your "rm" command really was desired and based on a competent sober and informed decision.

Everything protected until you unprotect it is NOT how anyone sane wants Linux "root" to be.

We got Android as the designated the safe-for-careless-undereducated-users environment, and to a lesser extent user VMs and limited sudo and so on. Those are the things to use if you can't handle actual root.

>xfce is broken trash from 1999
>openbsd is pain in the ass
>freebsd has no software
>muh windows 7 has no modern features reeee

t. soyboy that cant into simplicity and cant read/learn from manuals

>OS X Tiger
>runs like shit and has no software
Well it was fine back in the day. Lots of software actually.
>OS X Lion
>has some software but not enough and still runs like shit, lacks modern features
supports most of the things even today, has any feature you could possibly need
>OS X Sierra and High Sierra
>insecure and broken trash on every level with a billion useless features and UI glitches, and is ugly as fuck
Sierras are pretty buggy, but Le Capitan is decent. Also embrace the Ive's design, it's beautiful.
haiku is shit.
also BSDs have all the necessary software, and they just work

What's wrong with a hobbyist distro? I much prefer the neckbeards at Gentoo writing openrc scripts than corporate garbage like systemd.

What modern features in 7 do you miss? You can integrate USB3 drivers in the setup/installer just fine for example.

The problem nobody on either side of this debate ever mentions is that the learning curve isn't necessarily the issue, it's fucking up your muscle memory with said keystrokes which makes using different environments more painful as you unconsciously try to use them as i3 or whatever other shit tiling window manager you use to do little more than save your lazy ass half of a second opening up a terminal window.

They're nice on small displays or systems I'm using in a way where I'm pretty much living on the terminal, but anyone who pretends they're anything more than a slightly more convenient tool to use in that kind of scenario is a baby ducked moron who needs to learn to use a computer properly.

AmigaOS is great :)

>even the motto is an appeal to nostalgia rather than to the actual merits of the operating system (that there are none of in 2018)

>>OpenBSD
>>makes everything a pain in the ass to do, no software
For me this OS was a return, after 10 years of using Arch Linux, to a world of ease and everything working, only software I miss are a couple of open source games but it's a matter of time someone, or myself maybe if could made the time for it, made a port.

>not copying your configuration on all the machines you use
Don't tell me you actually use other people's computers regularly?

>XP
>Has no drivers
That's where you're wrong, boy.

I certainly do, as well as a number of non-Wintel platforms that tiler babies don't bother to port their shit over to in the first place.

>suffering on other people's computers.
I'm so sorry user.

I'm not some tiling wm evangelist, I just pointed out that learning the keyboard shortcuts is not an issue and therefore it's not a valid criticism of tiling window managers. Having said that, the muscle memory thing is not an issue for me personally, and they work well on screens of any size (like the 27" UHD monitor I have), even for everyday uses like opening a torrent client to open the folder with a movie. They aren't necessarily better at those things, but they aren't worse either.

To be honest, Windows server 2016 is one of the best operating systems I've ever used.

If you're so imprinted on your window manager configuration that you literally cannot function without it or learn anything different, I don't think it's me you should be feeling sorry for.
I actually didn't mean to imply that they're shittier on larger, higher resolution displays. I mostly use them on smaller devices because that's where I think they shine the most, it makes it easier and more convenient to squeeze everything you can out of ultraportables and netbooks. They don't feel as compelling to me on a desktop, though. At that point I prefer floating windows and having gaps since screen real estate isn't as much of an issue, and it looks a little nicer that way anyway. Whatever you prefer, I don't really care. My only problem is with the virtue signalling dipshits who treat it as some kind of lifestyle and think they're hot shit for it.

Damn, that looks good. Share?

>rm -rf /
>bricks your system
sugoi

I can confirm that this is the most autistic and useless way to configure and use a computer

I can use different configurations/WMs if I wanted to, but why would I if I don't have to? It's my machine; I do what I want.

Join Microsoft and make Windows great again.
Old and current Windows is just billions of lines of crusty ancient legacy code because "muh compatibility."
The new UWP Windows is the one true modern OS.
onmsft.com/news/microsoft-reportedly-working-on-new-lightweight-version-of-windows-10-code-named-polaris

Linux is likely beyond hope because retards keep infighting and forking fucking everything. If retards took their heads out of their asses and all united behind Debian or Redhat instead of making fucking yet another fucking fork of them, or ricing their Arch shit, there might be salvation.

MacOS was always amateur Shockwave Flash garbage by numale designers shat on top of someone else's kernel.

I'm not criticizing you for using what you want, I'm criticizing you for apparently being a slave to your environment to the point that you describe using anything other than your own system to be "suffering" like my grandma describes her experience upgrading to Windows 10.

It is though. I'm literally the only person I know that uses linux so using anyone else's computer is automatically suffering.

You can have wmii without ricing. Going by the remainder of this post, do I seem like a guy that wants to make everything look like a terminal emulator as much as possible and do everything with vi-like keybindings? I hate that stuff more than you do, because I have actual principled reasons to be against it.

>This is what Plan 9 was supposed to be, but then muh minimalism autists came along and found a way to ruin that too.
No, Plan 9 is the same as it ever was, with the same community of users it had a decade ago and over. Rob Pike still reads 9fans.

>It also doesn't do anything special.
>Inviting you to actually read the code, but nothing special
What do mainstream OSes do that's special? What does Haiku do that's different? It uses system calls and DLLs for all the same things that Linux and Windows do, just with different names and numbers. Doesn't have a better security model, either.

here again, just looked at that screenshot in actual detail. My god... multi-line prompts. Absolute Linux weeniedom.

>builds house with dirt and hands
>discovers concrete
>oh that's so much more convenient, it just werks, everyone should build their house with concrete and their bare hands

So am I, but I'm using GNU/Linux, Windows, OS X, HP-UX, NetBSD and Solaris at home simultaneously. Once you ditch the tribalism and stop rejecting everything that isn't your specific GNU/Linux environment, using other platforms that all abide by the same fundamental design guidelines isn't suffering at all.

At that point it's just dealing with shitty software stacks.

Snow Leopard and El Capitan were GOAT tier OSes.

I don't want to waste my time dealing with other operating systems I don't need.

>You only need ~10 key combinations to use i3
wmii poster here again, you shouldn't *need* *any* key combinations to use a window system. They should arguably be there for you in case you do want them, but you shouldn't *need* them. If you want to go to an arbitrary point of the screen, just clicking on it is the best way to get there.

One can just as easily argue you shouldn't *need* the mouse to use a window system.

This is why I use windows 10 and play games. I don't care anymore

When did I say you should? All I said is it's the most transparent interface, is all.

You're missing the point. There is nothing inherently wrong with needing to use keys to navigate windows instead of needing the mouse. It's just a different design.

>makes everything a pain in the ass to do, no software

>>installer is ass and it has no software
Both of these are false.

>Why is this allowed?

As if there's an authority to allow or disallow software changes.

All the Linux complaints are childish and most refer to DEs. If you cannot cope with keyboard shortcuts and are mouse-dependent that's your fucking problem.

>Haiku OS is the only system I've used thus far that hasn't made my want to blow my head off with a shotgun,

Remember to direct the blast through the roof of your mouth, or if you fuck up, ensure we have picks of your new facial to laugh at on Sup Forums

Just fork Temple OS. That should keep you busy.

>I'm not learning all that bullshit.

Boo fucking hoo. "I'm not learning" is niggism pure and simple. You must be a Boomer.

But click-to-focus is such an easy feature to implement that there's little sense in leaving it out. Doing everything with the keyboard is a strange ideal to make the computer worse in the name of.

>Every OS Sucks
True, and that's why all these Linux smug fags can go fuck themselves. Use whatever comes with your machine and is officially supported by the manufacturer, and live your life. That's the definition of "just werks".

>secure
>not bloated
>VGA compatible
>ring 0
It brings glory to the creator.

>See I already know how to use my forearm, my wrist, and my fingers to grasp and move objects. This is why mice are a thing, faggot. I'm not learning all that bullshit.
Right on. See marc.info/?l=9fans&m=111558805207697 ; start reading from /functioning cursor keys/ onwards. It's about text editing rather than window mgmt, but the reasoning is the same.

I'm pretty sure basically every tiling manager lets you choose between click to focus or focus on mouseover. Or at least all the ones I have used do.

You seem like you might know where to find it, do you happen to have the link to the 9fans email/article talking about how mouse navigation in text editors was proven to be faster than keyboard navigation, despite users feeling like it wasn't?

Networking = botnet. No net, no bots, no problem. You laugh now but then Exploitmageddon hits and only Temple OS survives you'll be praying to Yahweh for a copy (which you won't have unless saved since intarwebs is kill).

>every OS aside from templeOS is connected to the internet
go away, tech-illiterate schizo LARPer

scroll up slightly

Which is exactly why I'm calling you a moron. You're no different the narrow-minded Wintards mocking you for using a tiler, maybe even worse because you're taking pride in apparently being unable to effectively employ fundamental graphical interface concepts most of us internalized in kindergarten.

Using different operating systems for no reason doesn't make you intelligent or enlightened. It's only logical to have a consistent workflow across all machines. The only reason to not use your personal preference everywhere is if there's some work-related or technology-related reason why you can't.

Ah, didn't read carefully enough.

wow nigger so you literally believed that i3 didn't have focus on mouseover?

plan9 was supposed to be even more unix-like than unix

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(operating_system)

>XP
>unstable
Maybe if you are running the pre SP1 version.

>this source
This says literally nothing about what test where done, what the data actually says, etc. Great job.

I don't think you understand my point. You basically tried to brag about being utterly illiterate of OS-agnostic concepts to the point that you grind to a halt and fall apart when having to use anything but your own preferred environment, that's why I'm mocking you. Because you're a fucking idiot who can't even use a mouse.

You're putting words into my mouth. I never even brought up a mouse specifically. I merely am saying that I find other people's machines annoying to use. That doesn't mean I can't use a mouse.

Maybe, but that doesn't make it any less true. Pointing is a natural instinct, we have brain circuits just for it; using the mouse frees up the part of the brain that lets you complain about how slow the mouse is, and cursoring around with the arrow keys does not. You can't argue with that.

This isn't an argument. A mouse is faster for some things. A keyboard is faster for others. I don't care that I apparently have to "use my brain" to remember key combinations. That's not a negative. Some random webpage with zero sources is not very convincing.

Yes is perfect! :D

Linux with Xfce werks for me.

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB Anniversary Update is the best desktop OS. Literally no discuss. For laptops basically any GNU/Linux distro. Mobile - pure Android or Lineage OS.