Get into interview room

>get into interview room
>see pic related
>say thanks, turn 360 and walk away

I hate this archaic way to hire programmers. Why are they doing this? There are debuggers, IDEs, google. Just why?

If you can't scratch out some code on a whiteboard then you aren't worth hiring, why should the interviewers do half your job for you?

This is the downside of kids going through school with tablets and PCs these days, you come out thinking everything revolves around yourself but you probably can't even write your own fucking name. Do you have velcro shoes too?

sounds like OP is a shit programmer

>turn 360
>actually this retarded

They want to see your thought process when solving a problem.

>Why are they doing this?
They hope to avoid the virgin script mess.

t. newfig

This

OP they aren't trying to see if you can program something on a whiteboard, they're more interested in your thought process to solve the problem. If you don't remember something then tell them and then offer an alternative to get the job done or better yet do what they asked to the best of your ability without help

>actually this new

inb4 this is just bait too to find the actual newfags

I honestly don't understand the autistic bond of Sup Forums for C. Unless you are developing kernel or embedded shit, what's the point? You convert the language into OOP-like paradigm in order for maintainability and extendibility in the end. So WHAT IS THE POINT?

Imagine the interviewers' faces as he stops, spins around in a circle, and walks straight into the whiteboard whilst thinking that he was walking away from it.

It's possible to turn 360 degrees and walk away. It's called walking backwards.

>So WHAT IS THE POINT?
autism

>Why are they doing this?

Because you don't have any previous projects to showcase.

falling for the second level bait

Manliness.

google "360 moonwalk away gif" or something

It's been here since the XBOX 360, since that's where the joke originates.

>falling for my bait that seems like I'm falling for the second level bait when really I'm trying to get newfags to reply to me thinking I'm a newfag for replying to people thinking they're newfags

>being this 12

>I hate this archaic way to hire programmers. Why are they doing this? There are debuggers, IDEs, google. Just why?
I hate how this is being a meme just because some sjw claims that whiteboard interviews are somehow racist against black, and hispanics as well as sexist against women.

>I hate this archaic way to hire programmers. Why are they doing this?
>There are debuggers, IDEs, google. Just why?

>I hate this way to hire programmers. There are debuggers, IDEs, google. Just why?

because they want to hire programmers and not skids?

Cancer

It's "moonwalk away", you retarded stupid ass niggeroo

Just write pseudo code in english, whey want to check your skill in algorithms, not your skill at remembering the syntax like a brainlet.

>can you write a function that reverses an array
>Array.Reverse(array);
>they give me weird look
>fail the interview
what the hell bros

They want to know if you know how to actually write code vs. stackexchange. If you can't write out an algorithm to solve (at least somewhat) the softball questions they throw at you, why would they hire you?

>be me
>go to an IT job interview
>show up
>whiteboard.jpg
>make a cinematic 2 cowboys that are about to duel stare with the whiteboard
>spin exactly 360 degrees around my centre of mass, so precisely that i locked my neck, head and chest positions and memorized the point of the board i was focused on to stop right when the focus point returns to the original position
>start moonwalking out of the room
>no words said the whole time, just confused stare of horror from the boss sitting at the table in that room
>moonwalk out of the building
>get back to your dungeon
>turn on your 1080ti PC and open the only non-coding application there is, that being the browser
>make a board hate thread on a taiwanese music video vector graphics board
Sounds as an avera/g/e day for me.

because if you can't do something without ide and google, you don't really understand it. unless, of course, they would ask you about specific functions or whatever else documentation is for, but no one does that.

>taiwanese music video vector graphics board
kek

>>say thanks, turn 360 and walk away
Is this a YLYL?

for(i=1;i

just write it on some paper

for x in range(100):print x%3/2*'Fizz'+x%5/4*'Buzz' or x+1

>get into interview room
>see pic related
>"Would you mind if I did this verbally? my handwriting is terrible, but I can type well."
>switch (i % 15)
>{
> case 0 : cout
> case 5:
> case 10: cout
> case 3:
> case 6:
> case 9:
> case 12: cout
> default: cout "so did I get the job?"
>Hired
>Working 6 months
>64k annual starting

even more important then that, his ability to communicate complex technical concepts

Whiteboard tests are a great indicator as to whether you've actually done a lot of coding or not. You can nail any other kind of question just by studying but implementing something on a whiteboard requires experience.

If they ask you to invert a binary tree or some shit though, turn 720 degrees along all axes and walk away

>You convert the language into OOP-like paradigm in order for maintainability and extendibility in the end. So WHAT IS THE POINT?
You do realize that "the Chad software architecture" is written in C++, right?

pointers

you can't cheat and google the answer

this is the mindset. the problem is that whiteboard interviews are prone to rejecting people because they choked, and generally don't cut across the plane perfectly. that is, while there's some correlation between competence and confidence to tackle a problem on a whiteboard, the correlation isn't perfect. some people will just never do well on them.

on balance, you'll probably get about 70-80% of the good candidates, and you probably won't get more than 5% of the total losers accidentally. this is the precision vs recall issue, and the whiteboard evaluation is okay. obviously it is or the whole industry would be a ghost town. but you're definitely missing about ~20% of qualified folks who either choked that one time or chronically don't do well on whiteboard interviews. and of course there's always room to improve on filtering out losers.

when i do interviews i just ask the interviewee to come prepared to have a conversation about a recent technical project. i can imagine that someone might struggle to verbalize their project to me, but i've never seen it. instead, i've seen that people either can't get into the technical details at all or - when i ask a candid question (ie i've done no preparation, so i'm not waiting in the tall grass to flummox them) they can't answer it at all. like when someone tells me they used react on this project and i ask why that and not some other framework and they just stare blankly into space.

i don't need a perfect answer. i just want some vaguely informed answer. even something like "well we'd used angular in the past but we wanted to learn something new" would be fine. to some people, that qualifies as "literally any coherent answer".

how long until you buy that yacht, rich man

>actually being this new

>reinventing the wheel
ddg.gg !so

fuck off back to r*ddit

>get into the interview room
>see pic related
>pulls out the cyan, magenta, yellow and black pens
>prints out a bitmap with the correct answer, assuming i don't run out of ink
>if i run out of ink, i beep loudly until someone comes up with a set of four new pens.

>walk into interview
>interviewer is black
>tell him I've never met a black person before
>offer to shake his hand
>ask him if he ever faces racism today
>realise i sound racist
>go defense mode and tell him i like black rappers and black movie stars
>my favorite color is black
>i leave
Anyone else get nervous like this?

As long the employer isn't judging you based on how well you write a on a fucking whiteboard.
That's terrible since it's probably the most terrible way to brainstorm ideas for code.

If they're uninterested in your handwriting but just the content of what you're putting on the whiteboard I don't see a problem with it.

I lost my racism after getting robbed by a black, a white and an asian person in different occasions, so i'm suspicious of everyone.

Also i imagine it would go like this:
>walks into interview
>interviewer points his gun and takes all my stuff

>not wearing a suicide vest in case someone tries to rob you

I would but they would steal it.

>Using IDES
Kys

Can't you just use your own tablet/phone to do it and let the interviewer see the result instead of writing on the whiteboard? I mean, surely a simple android IDE is enough to run a simple code like fizzbuzz test, right?

>implying it's not the virgin who worries about architecture and muh harmful technologies and the chad is pleased as long as his contraption just werks

Because no matter where you go you'll need to he able to draw diagrams and shit along with your pseudocode to show how it works. Even to other competent people, usually there's a gap in what they're thinking and what you're thinking, just scribbling down pseudo code and then branching off into a quick diagram to show how things fit together works way easier on a whiteboard.
This is more what they look for in my experience, it's not the actual code part that matters, but how you can also justify your decisions in doing it and prove it works correctly instead of just compiling.