/odg/ - Optical Disc General

A thread for any type of discussion of digital optical discs. In case your PC doesn't support them or you generally think OD's are outdated, there is a number of reasons to still use them. While discs take more time to write to, have fewer rewrites and typically hold less data, they are also much cheaper, store data for 30-1000 years, are often supported by older and simpler machines. Plus, DVD-RAM has most of the general optical disc issues solved, supporting Random Access and up to 100'000 rewrites, making it comparable to a flash drive.
>have you ever seen/heard of DVD-RAM discs?
>do you still have them?
>was there a dvd-ram disc you unironically used as an hdd?

Resources and info:

>Information related to CD's
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm (file systems such as UDF)
osta.org/technology/cdqa7.htm (physical properties)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_and_DVD_writing_speed (burning speeds for the 3 generations of OD's)
>Information related to DVD's
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM (general DVD-RAM info)
web.archive.org/web/20080131133310/http://www.fujitsu.com/ph/services/computing/pc/support/drivers/usage_dvdram.html (the rare high-speed DVD-RAM discs, I have 2 of these)
goughlui.com/2015/08/10/mega-tech-flashback-writable-optical-discs-mo-pd-dvd-ram/ (MO, PD, DVD-RAM - both 3x cartridge discs and RAM2 discs)
>Information related to Blu-ray discs
infogalactic.com/info/Blu-ray#BDXL (100gb/128gb discs)
[insert more useful links here]

>The future of optical discs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc#Fourth-generation

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/try-scratching-this-dvd/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis
youtu.be/fCWLaAwr3sM?t=1517
amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Playback-Essentials-Software/dp/B00IIXLKKU
youtu.be/AFgy_kvrBd4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i have many optical discs and dont care if some cuck thinks that they are outdated

If DVD-RAM wasn't so fucking expensive I'd care, as it is in the long run it's cheaper to just use traditional burn once media, even M-Discs cost less for me and obviously they'll outlive all of us anyway.

This. For each feature that HDD's/SSD's have, there is a comparable OD.

DVD-RAM costs roughly 30 cents per gigabyte. Doesn’t matter, though, because optical discs are extremely fragile, extremely loud, and extremely slow compared to any other form of storage media. This thread is retarded.

>Optical Disc General
>only digital optical discs
You forgot the best optical format is analog, OP

>so fucking expensive
What kind of DVD-RAM? Usually they cost somewhere in the $3.50 - $7 area, which is not too much. I got a pack of double-sided cartridge ram discs and each individual one there costs about $3.50.
For me, M-Discs were harder to find and I don't have a proper drive for them. Do they feel absolutely the same as normal discs and (actually) allow playback on standard players?

Yes, I realized this shortly after shortly after finishing the copypasta, I guess LD's are allowed in here. How old are these? Any changes in video quality?

Both are rereleases from 1995, and I'd say the video quality could pass for an early DVD without compression artifacts. You do need a decent scaler to watch them on a modern TV though, since the video is stored as composite and most modern sets have crap comb filters.
For reference, I'm using a Pioneer CLD-900S player and a Cypress CM-1391 scaler

Nice. I read about laser rot and thought it might be noticeably strong on an analog format, but I guess it's nothing compared to VHS. Do you have any CAV discs?

i had a special optical disc once that didnt get any scratches even though i put it on the floor and tried to scratch it by keeping my foot on it and moving the disc

Laser rot was caused by a manufacturing defect in the adhesive used to join the two sides of the disc. Discs that haven't shown it yet probably won't ever show it. I don't have any discs with it, luckily.
Side 2 of Videodrome is CAV, and honestly playback looks the same as side 1. My player doesn't do any trick play features because it's a version designed to be sold with infotainment shovelware, so I can't say anything about those. Scanning through that side does look better, though.

You should feel proud for keeping your floor so clean.

its not about that. someone made scratch resistant dvds at least a few years ago and i bought one to test if they really work.

cnet.com/news/try-scratching-this-dvd/

Was that a Blu-ray disc? They have durabis protective coating, but I'm not sure how effective it is. In my experience, CD's are really easy to scratch, but that barely changes the disc playback because the laser focuses far behind the scratch, DVD's get scratched like butter even with finger nails, but you have to nuke 90% of the disc surface to make it unreadable.
Okay.
>My player doesn't do any trick play features because it's a version designed to be sold with infotainment shovelware
How loud is it? A friend of mine has a LD player and he says it's very loud (CAV discs rotate at 50 rps)

>How loud is it? A friend of mine has a LD player and he says it's very loud (CAV discs rotate at 50 rps)
It's barely noticeable. Maybe his player has a bad grip ring, which are the first things that go in these things.

>year: 2004
Didn't that morph into durabis 2 coating that's standard for non-cartridge BD-R/RE? There also was some kind of HQ coating technology, forgot its name, but it was created in the 2000's and made DVD coating more transparent & scratch-proof.

IT DID
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis

What's the point of LaserDisc in 2018, though?

I'd say it's just collecting. Some movies did look better on LD than they did on DVD, but with Bluray LD has lost that advantage. Some Star Wars fans swear by the format because they spent enormous amounts of money on a high end player just to watch the original trilogy untouched and need to justify their purchase by convincing themselves that every movie released on LD looks better than any other release.
As for me, I just like the sleeves and the xboxhueg discs.

Nostalgia, watching old movies in maximum quality they were meant to be played back in, using for playback of the highest quality analog video (that I can think of rn, that doesn't have fast data degradation and that runs on an actual home system, not a piano-sized projector)

Bump

on a good cd player, nothing beats optical

Id rather buy a Blu-Ray(Or DVD for 4:3 tv shows/cartoons) than buy digital or stream. Steaming also seems to have worse bit-rates that blu ray. Though it pisses me off when tv shows release dvds but not blu rays(looking at you community).

By TV shows I mean Widescreen tv shows in the HD era(2008+). Like fuck 640x360 is a piss poor res. Compared to 1920x1080

In the case of Star Wars they are probably right. The original trilogy has been butchered for every new release. You can't get anything close to the original on DVD or BlueRay. It was changed for the DVD release and again for the BD release.

If the video content is 1:1 then there's zero reason to get LasterDisc.

As for Star Wars, I don't really care to see anything in that now mutilated series again - new or old.

btw, LaserDisc seems a bit silly now that 4k is becoming quite common.

>that feeling when premium quality Japanese import 100 GiB Blu-ray recordable discs come in the mail

I need a optical drive because i have movies and some old game disks.
I have a blu-ray player and DVDRW
I use mine to give data to my friends and make OS copies of old OS systems

Most other users don't use it because they ether have broadband or use gig stick to install their stuff.
I like the useing DVD's because then i don't have to configure bios to get it to work

where does this thing go in a drive that claims to support dvd ram?

do bluray drives still cost over 100€?

>watching old movies in maximum quality they were meant to be played back in
But doesn't Blu-ray have strictly superior quality?

Directly onto the drive, as a block - though make sure it's the right side up, and that the drive supports placing it that way obviously. If it doesn't, you should be able to take the disc out but that kind of defeats the purpose.

>watching old movies in maximum quality they were meant to be played back in
kek brainlets think LD is better than 35mm

You can easily take it out of the cartridge and use it like all other DVDs.
I have a few double-sided ones that I use for backups.

>fragile
you should try dropping a hard drive from 2 ft. height

DVDs aren't 360p. Only youtube used that resolution at the time. They were either 480p or 576p and usually anamorphic for movies. Also, a well-encoded SD video is still better than a bit starved HD video.

>buy digital
Always viewed that as top cuckoldry.
>be me
>pay actual money for a permit to view a movie
>only have this permit on one account of one webite
>start watching
>it first has to load
>tfw the movie is in hq so you gotta have a high speed connection or else it won't play properly
>tfw you're paying for streaming 40 Gb of data in just 2 hours

>DVD for 4:3 tv shows/cartoons
Most older movies were originally made to be viewed in 4:3, as in youtu.be/fCWLaAwr3sM?t=1517

I bought myself a BD-RE 100gb through a guy that sells obsolete and obscure formats irl, and I think these discs are better as BD-RE because I've had a lot of problems burning the disc properly. It took about 5 tries to format it to UDF and I started noticing odd white circular stain that appeared closer to the inside of the disc, I still have no idea what it was, but I was able to clean it off. Btw formatting took at least 5 actual minutes and 3/5 attempts caused Windows to freak out.

I forgot what framing technique it was specifically but most of the shots were framed in such a way that the top and bottom half can be cropped and produce a widescreen image on the big screen. Home video distributors probably realized that they could use the uncropped 4:3 or 5:4 version instead so that they wouldn't need to bother with anamorphic on DVDs and produce a full screen image on most TV sets available at the time..

It goes right in like picrelated, the bigger question is how you're supposed to insert 8cm dvd-ram cartridges, I don't think there are any pictures of that
>you should be able to take the disc out but that kind of defeats the purpose.
That is true and from what I've heard once you take out the disc, even if you put it back in there, the drive will recognize that it's already been opened once and refuse to read the disc, so I'm not gonna touch it until I get a proper drive.

amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Playback-Essentials-Software/dp/B00IIXLKKU
not really

>That is true and from what I've heard once you take out the disc, even if you put it back in there, the drive will recognize that it's already been opened once and refuse to read the disc,
That's because you have to break a small plastic thing on it and the cartridge drive can detect it.
>so I'm not gonna touch it until I get a proper drive.
What's a "proper drive"? Normal drives can read and write it just as well and the discs used to be sold without cartridges too, so unless you absolutely have to be inter-operable with some ancient video set that doesn't accept opened cartridges then there's little reason to buy a special cartridge drive.

yes, LD is quite literally a limited composite signal, even a well-made DVD can beat it, letalone bluray

i had a couple 8cm DVD-RW like that once, they were mostly used in camcorders before they moved to flash as well

these
the "100x more scratch resistant" wasn't a joke

>even a well-made DVD can beat it
Audio quality included?

the problem with digital media is that they are rarely well made. analog medias are almost always mastered better than the digital version.

yes, LD can do either analog audio or digital audio (stereo 16bit 44/44.1kHz PCM, or later AC-3 384kbps)
while DVD can do right up to 96kHz, 24bit, 6-channel PCM (uncommon for video dvd, as that takes a considerable amount of bandwidth), or mp1/mp2/dts/dd (ac-3)
1.5Mb/s DTS 6-channel is pretty common for video-focused dvd's

The difference in mastering doesn't have anything to do with the encoding; it's because of the market each format caters for. LD was an expensive format for videophiles. DVD was designed to replace VHS for the average Joe, which isn't as likely to complain about the video quality.
Same thing with LPs and CDs/Streaming.

the thing about DVD is that a lot of them ship with extras on the same disc as the main title, reducing the available space for the main title
while LD could barely fit just a movie on a single double-sided disc, if not two discs, especially on earlier ones, so extras (on the same disc) were simply out of the question
of course, there are also DVD's with additional discs for extras instead, it's up to the discretion of the author

Anyone else see the hyper CD-ROM article on Wikipedia? What's the story with this?

What about this?
>DTS-encoded LaserDiscs have DTS soundtracks of 1,235 kbit/s instead of the reduced bitrate of 768 kbit/s commonly employed on DVDs with optional DTS audio.

DVD supports 1,536kbps DTS, 768kbps is just another option
but of course, you could argue that less audio bitrate means more bitrate for video with DVD, while LD has fixed space for audio, so authors aren't tempted to cheap out on audio
with dvd, you have a bandwidth limit of ~10Mb/s with which to fit your video/audio/subtitles streams into, and it's up to the author how they divide it, video can only go up to 8Mb/s, but that doesn't gaurantee 2Mb/s for audio, since you don't necessarily need to be at the limit, the lower the overall bitrate, the more content you can fit on the disc, unlike the fixed-length nature of LD, DVD is more flexible, i've made 10-hour whole-anime-season DVD's before

Seriously, what the hell? I can't get any fucking information on this thing.

ITS REAL HOLY SHIT
I thought HVD was one of the more impressive ones, skipped hyper cdrom for some reason. Btw I am not sure if that was made up, but a friend of mine says he knows someone who knows someone who used to work in the Large Hadron Collider and they sometimes used HVD's there for storage. Each disc might cost up to $200, but I doubt that what he was saying is true. They could've used experimental capacity blu-rays, since his description was rather vague. Though HVD's were produced experimentally in mid-2000's, shortly after the company went bankrupt and their development stopped.

>video can only go up to 8Mb/s, but that doesn't gaurantee 2Mb/s for audio, since you don't necessarily need to be at the limit
Wait, so DVD always gives you a fixed 2Mb/s minimum for audio? And nobody uses that!?

>so DVD always gives you a fixed 2Mb/s minimum for audio?
that's the opposite of what i said, read it again

I'm a cheapskate and never had a reason to buy rewritable DVDs because a pack of 20 write once disks leaves enough for mistakes.

>Videodrome
Good taste.

Me too. Especially since I can rip blu-rays and dvds and throw them at kodi, unlike shitty digital drm encumbered shit or streaming.

tape on the home is ded

if laser and magnetics disks ded too

what remain??

SSD's
The place where I get OD's is flooded with ssd pirates who sell movies on 1Tb drives. Not that discs are "dead", now they're more like LD's back then - mostly for movie releases, since cameras are now using SD cards or whatever else.

>LD was an expensive format for videophiles
>Same thing with LPs
I think they were more like Blu-rays to DVD's - next logical step in advancement. If you meant that LP's are "for real audiophiles" or in any way are better than CD's, you're wrong.

someone needs to make a digital format that does not allow loudness faggotry so it would sound as good or better than vinyl. digital formats are the reason why music is just distorted garbage now and anyone saying that digital is better should kill themselves.

I mean as in LPs today.
They're not for audiophiles, but it's more likely that someone listening to an LP will complain about the sound quality. Mainly because the target demographic for streaming services doesn't even know what a stereo is. Though probably most records sold these days just end up shredded by some hipster kid's crosley.
A well mastered CD beats the shit out of any trillion gram ultra virgin LP, but sadly those are hard to find (and usually more expensive than the LP release)
Sadly you can do that crap in every format. Vinyl just isn't as tolerant to it because more noise literally makes the grooves take up more space and you can't fit much music into records that way.

don't blame digital for being flexible enough to handle shit, blame the authors for making it shit
you know there's a serious problem in the industry when you can record a vinyl, burn it to a cd, and have it sound better than the actual cd version of the album

Not to shill here, but I made a crappy video about LaserDisc. Youtube's still processing it, though.
Just thought I'd bump the thread.

Thinking of getting an SACD to test out on my player since it supports it. Should be fun listening to Tubular Bells in surround sound.

first off, I love this thread. Secondly, am I the only one that won't even consider any PC cases that don't have at least a slim-drive bay?

As an OD hold out, it bugs me to no end that I cannot find a newer AMD cpu/discrete graphics laptop with an optical drive.

Ah the next faux nostalgia wave, how exciting.

I have the quadraphonic LP ("Boxed" set, not the half-assed "for people with four ears" one)
It's absolutely glorious. Quadraphonic Hergest Ridge is even better, though.
Gotta ride the gravy train, I guess.
youtu.be/AFgy_kvrBd4

Pisses me off to no end that some classic good shows that used to air on cable don't got a Disc release. TV Shows on DVD is a site where after a show gets so many votes they try to get the studio to produce a dvd/bluray set. So for the rare show with no disc, torrents is your friend. But your stuck with whatever quality you find.

This is where DVD/VCD creation software comes in

>and Disc LabelMakers

speak for yourself.