Are You a Coder or a Developer?

>Software development and coding are two different things. Usually, the former includes the latter, but not always. Coding produces lines of code, while software development creates products. Unfortunately, the majority of programmers now are coders. Even though they claim to be developers, in reality they are lacking the very important sociotechnical skills that differentiate product creators from lines-of-code writers.

>He doesn't understand the dynamics of a modern software project, he doesn't know how to use its communication instruments, and he has no sociotechnical skills:
>Searching for, and finding, information
>Submitting questions, collecting answers
>Adding knowledge to the repository
>Submitting code changes
>Arguing in writing, reviewing changes
>Closing tickets and preventing them from closing
>Maintaining discipline in repositories

>A modern software project is much more a social activity than code writing. Knowing how to interact with the team and deal with information is much more important than knowing how to use design patterns. The only way to learn these skills is practice. I've said it many times, let me repeat it again: If you are not an open source and StackOverflow activist, you most likely won't have these skills.

yegor256.com/2018/01/23/sociotech-skills.html

Other urls found in this thread:

interpersonal.stackexchange.com/questions/9309/how-do-i-politely-explain-to-my-neighbour-that-i-dont-feel-comfortable-being-al
maisondemartzell.com/about-olivia/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>those thighs
I bet she's got a nice butt.

>Software development and coding are two different things
No, they are not. "coding" is not an actual verb. There is code. And you can program code. You cannot "code code".

I'm a scripter

Expected this article to be written by a female.

I'm confused.

I am an artisan guru ninja rockstar.

I am a Software Tester/QA Automation. Truly the Chad of Scrum Team Positions.

i'm a neet

In my experience the best developers/coders/whatever you want to call them are perfectly capable of using whatever mechanisms are required to get the job done, including those that involve interacting with other people. These same people are however not dependent on a constant stream of social interaction, and are perfectly able to immerse themselves alone for weeks at a time. Some projects absolutely require the latter, and no amount of over communicating, stack overflow obsessing lightweights will change that.

>and are perfectly able to immerse themselves alone for weeks at a time

you still have to communicate with your colleagues, clients, boss, etc.

>stackoverflow
>social skills
pic related

I'm a Senior Business Solutions Architect Engineer.

It's worse than that. It's a Russian.

The term is "code monkey" not "coder".

Wait, Karlie isn't that thicc. Who is this fertility monster?

Programmer

stack exchange actually has a social section

interpersonal.stackexchange.com/questions/9309/how-do-i-politely-explain-to-my-neighbour-that-i-dont-feel-comfortable-being-al

A job title that extends beyond 'Programmer', especially titles including Engineer, are just there to inflate egos. Nothing more than misused nomenclature. There are programmers and leads. Nothing else.

So basically the /soc/ of StackExchange.

It's got a bit of /lgbt/ mixed in.

Actually, Software Engineer is a licensed profession in Texas.

Yes, the term engineer is becoming a protected title again which is fantastic. It gets tiresome hearing some 30 something numale who makes wordpress sites call himself an engineer when I have friends who studying gnarly physics and thermodynamics for years to be able to do the same.

Olivia
maisondemartzell.com/about-olivia/

>A modern software project is much more a social activity than code writing
Absolute cancer.

mom says i'm special

This makes me salty but unfortunately I think there is truth here.

>bisexual
>got HIV from fucking a tranny

1. tranny's are still dudes
2. lmao, good.

I'm bi myself, but that dude is a total slut. I stick with one partner I truly love for a long time and hate guys who just fuck around.

I've started doing that in my team, I legit just automate a bunch of tests and then go to the toilet, get a coffee or whatever and come back to see the results.

>22 men and 17 women
Thank you for helping spread that epidemic, you piece of shit!

Im a codemonkey

I work with PLCs. I install, maintain, upgrade, troubleshoot, and sometimes write code for them in C.

Since I'm usually just solving small-ish problems, my codebases are really small and simple to understand. I don't think that I can call myself a "developer", I'm not like, developing anything really new. And as for "coder"? That's probably closer to what I really do day-to-day.

I also think that "scripter" may also be close to describing what I do, considering all of my code logic is pretty simple and linear.

I'm a programmer.

That sounds more like a programmer mate
Long story short, a "coder" is someone who programs what others tell them to, and a programmer identifies the problem, researches the solution, and then finally programs the solution to it

THICC

>she's standing on her toe tips
She's either trying not to look short, or she's trying to recreate the high heel effect (boobs pushed out, walking becomes sexier).

So downloading a library is developing.

I think we are talking on image board, or on stack that doesn't color posted code. Or on IRC. Or javascriptly bloated chat.

I can't really see where would I find anybody relevant.

It's pretty much true though.
When I'm successful at work it's usually because I've done a good job of understanding the requirements of what-the-fuck I'm being asked to do.
That requires social skills.
A lot of times I'm being asked to do something for a retarded reason so I have to convince my manager to not do the retarded thing he thinks is a good idea while not insulting his intelligence.
That requires social skills.
I have to talk to the other dudes who program the shit I need to connect my shit to and discuss APIs with them which again, requires social skills.
Being a good programmer is important but it's only half of it.

I'm a code ranger.

I've heard differently. A programmer is a coder whereas a developer does what you've described for coder.