What are your favourite routers Sup Forums?

what are your favourite routers Sup Forums?

this thing is a fucking beast

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Radio_frequency_interference
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Boudda get a Ubiquiti.... I guess

>calls his shit combo box a "router"

kek

Banana Board, It can have 12TB storage.

>buying over priced ubiquiti shit

Brainlet

Bumping for recommendations for "cheap" dualband/gigabit

Well, tell me what components to get before I rush in and do it. I'm thinking it just has to work with FiOS 150/150 and this is my first chance to actually buy separate components like access point(s) and a switch. So what router in particular can handle being bombarded by overkill torrent peer connections without flooding itself, because the one Frontier gave me is doing just that, even though the oldass Verizon one was fine.

>see this meme router everywhere on Sup Forums
>buy it
>get into settings
>see NAT BOOST
>its CPU is so shit, they had to add software acceleration
>QOS doesn't work

Thanks Sup Forums, returning this piece of shit tomorrow

All I know is the only thing they have going for them is the AP, the edge series is ok, but I would avoid the Unifi crap unless it is the AP

What is software acceleration? Is it related to RAM you download?

Well I figured the Edgerouter Lite and X were just some of peoples' favorites, but I'm super open to alternatives. Preferably that choke on torrents even better, because they seriously do bombard peer connections like a bitch if you want great performance.

Cisco 4451

CPU in this router sacrifices Ethernet speeds when it's loaded on radio frequencies, basically had my upload speed over cable cut in half to my main PC, just cuz it can't handle the loads and they tried to band aid the problem with some in house software acc which they called "NAT BOOST" and IT DOESN'T HELP, found many threads on various forums about people having issues same as mine

I have that, works for me.

Wtf thats dumb. My ac68 doesnt have this problem

>Who Mikrotik here ?

what are you using poe for?

got TP-Link AC2300 today with dual core cpu, doesn't have this problem and you know the second thing that it doesn't have ? NAT BOOST
if Asus was $40 cheaper I'd get it instead

I got my ac68 a few months after it was first released for around $120. Zero regrets since I dont use the usb ports. 150mbps with qos enabled and around 25 clients usually.

great buy Sup Forumsent

so you would regret it if you did use the usb ports?

Last I recall usb 3.0 was bugged (slower) on some of the earlier hardware versions. Theres been a ton of hardware revisions though so I dont know if it was fixed for newer ones.

The USB 3.0 is not bugged in that router. It's just a poorly designed standard: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Radio_frequency_interference

I still use an old Buffalo 54 w/dd-wrt for routing and wifi with gig net switch for everything that matters.

>it werks

Well then the full implementation for that router wasn't perfect then. I recall the nighthawk that was also released at that time didn't have an issue. Guess Netgear had good shielding. Either way that's super dumb for USB 3.0 as a whole.

Firewall appliance quadcore j1900, 8gig ram, aes-ni, 120gig msata.
using Sophos UTM for firewall
running ssl vpn, ips, atp, webfilter on it
ubiquiti pro access point

>coil whines into eternity

Probably the reason why 3.1 became a confusion when it was released. USB3.1 gen1 is supposed to be like plain usb3 with 5gbps while usb3.1 gen2 allows for 10gbps

Netbook running PFSense with a USB3.0 ethernet dongle.

Only thing that can run a VPN at full speed without costing an arm and a leg.

Did either of them fix the interference issue though?

Nothing about the article says anything about it but the fact that they needed to create a new standard that acts like the old one probably means that they needed to fix a lot of shit that was wrong with USB 3.0.

Aren't 3.0 and 3.1 gen 1 still the same other than name? I say that the USB group is just dumb.

EdgeRouter + a shitty Netgear switch + UAP-AC-Pro master race here

r6300v2

The free one that comes with the plan.

enjoy your botnet brainlet

>If I paid jew shekels for It I'm not part of the botnet

Good goy.

USB 3.0 (5gbps) - still way faster than GB Ethernet (1gbps). That's only one way, if you was sending/receiving data both you cut the bandwidth in half (3gbps/500mbit) Meanwhile your home data collection grows larger by the year, 8-12-20TB+ data is not out of the question. Backing it all up (12TB) over GB Ethernet would take 3 days (rough guess) to do, same applies to the day you gotta restore it all if your server dies. 3 Days + time to build/configure new server. Do you got 3+ days? Most people don't cause they work like 5 days, leaving only 2 due to weekend. Sure you can just let the data restore on it's own, but what happens if power fails during restore? Your fucked. GB Ethernet is fine for 99% of stuff but when it comes to this case a fatter pipe would be beneficial

Wat. How is this relevant to the comment chain? And you're still limited by disk speeds in the end.

I dunno, fucking half asleep atm, just started typing when i saw it

this router is fine until you try to do anything besides browse the normie-net. VPNs for instance don't work for shit though it.

>using shit combo boxes
>not using a dedicated AP and router

Isn't it good for switches n shit?

Is QoS really that important? What does it do for you?

I haven't used QoS before because I was a selfish, but now I keep QoS at 145mbps on my 150mbps connection. That last 5mbps bit of bandwidth is there so there isn't bufferbloat and lag when one device is hogging all the bandwidth. I actively monitor my whole network either ways so it doesn't matter as much, but it helps if you have a lot of devices fighting for bandwidth, or say if you have one device that's using max DL/UL speeds (torrenting usually).

I'm still using a Linksys BEFSR41 that I bought way back in like 2003. Still holding up and hasn't given me any trouble. Is there a reason I should consider something more modern? I'm always paranoid about using old hardware might leave me susceptible to attacks.

Every fucking person that recommended that router also informed you to install lede you brainlet

What router firmware should one be using in current year?

Lede/openwrt

i used to have one of these, until it got fucked by a lightning strike

>openwrt
Jesus christ, maybe if you want to commit suicide over a config process.

Try DD-WRT, or Tomato (both FOSS, TOmato has real-time monitoring)

It's just a basic shell and iptables you moron, jesus Christ my little sister could figure it out

Bad packet? Drop. Good packet? Accept.

Wtf happened to Sup Forums?

Linksys WRT1900ACS reporting in.
LuCI lede-17.01 branch.

Oh fuck off, OpenWRT doesn't do anything that DD_WRT can't. There's just no point to its existence other than for Gary Gygax-looking sysadmin shlubs to wag their epeens over.

Go get a PhysX card.

Would the latest LEDE be better than the latest OpenWRT? I understand the two projects "merged", but the latest stable LEDE is more than a full year more recent than the latest stable OpenWRT.

Except that it is actively maintained and isn't complete shit

ddwrt build system:
/dev/beta/v6/brainslayer/v3_mini/rock_fix/18/01/post_fix/squash/generic/brainslayerv2/atheros/generic/upgrade.bin (warning!!!, known to brick some systems)

Lede builds should be on the openwrt servers now, just grab the nightly. Openwrt the software is dead, it's alive in name only

First for Sonicwall

I fucking hated this with dd-wrt. Use the site selector and end up with some broken ancient 5 year old POS build of dd-wrt then realize you have to dig in the forums to find some autists build of dd-wrt that's updated which works fine and is built by an official developer but for some reason the site itself just shows ancient garbage everywhere

What's the best router right now? Are r7800 and wrt3200acm still the best?

All those antennas!!!.
Looks like a good toaster to me.
How is your brain these days?.

nice bait idiot

Just get something that allows you to connect to either frequency and still have connectivity to devices on the other. I've got the TP-Link TD-8980 and the piece of shit doesn't allow me to connect to anything on the 2.4GHz freq if I'm on the 5GHz. Checked the obvious settings, upnp multicast and client isolation but no dice.

But what firmware are you using

Who else use the same SSID and passwrod for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

here. I use different SSIDs but the same pword

Yes 2.4 and 5 with same password here. Even my secondary ap have same ssid like the first router (device are kinda dumb somehow always connect into 2.4)

I use the same SSID with "_5G" at the end of the 5GHz band.

I use an APU2 running OpenBSD. Pretty happy with it. Wish I could replace the POS Centurylink ActionTec modem it's plugged into, but when I tried a NetGear my IRC sessions started dropping every half hour.

unifi wap & an er-x, works fine

NETGEAR DG834G LOL

How is QoS on Mikrotik?

Want to upgrade to something from wrt54gs@tomato.

Mine also died when lightning struck the house. It was the only thing in the whole house that died.

What's the best router around 100 bucks that runs VPN client nicely and has 2.4 and 5 GHz bands? there would be 1 (WAN) ethernet connection to modem, 1 to PC and few wireless connections, so not that demanding needs. First time gonna set something like that up so advice is welcomed.

Pfsense VM in a R210ii

See

Put Tomato on it for good QoS

nice looking boxes, all of the openwrt supported devices seem to have only 2,4GHz.

oops, I'm getting confused about the openvpn and openwrt... However, why these mileotiks don't have antennas for wireless?

They have, just internal

are mikrotik's better choice than archer c7? if so, how? I can run some reliable VPN client on Mikrotik?

Build your own with pfsense

Buy a 10GB managed with VLANs switch

Done. Want wifi? Use an AP.

Mikrotik usually does enterprise hardware, RouterOS is very configurable

Since this is a networking thread, can one of you tell me how to fix my stutter problem I have? I am using a wifi adapter.

$99 on black friday.

my APU2 is in the mail, planning to flash LEDE on it

Netgear - good or bad? Looking at the N300.
>not getting separate router/modem
Yeah, shut up.

Check your channels

I have an AC68U as well, handles my Gbit connection just fine. It's a good home router-combo-job-thing as far as I'm concerned. I was also able to customize it so one LAN port is now in a different VLAN and is only allowed access to a specific resource in my network, it's nice that you can use SSH on Merlin FW to basically do what you want with its VLANs, switch config, iptables and ebtables.

>Netgear
I'm sorry, user.

what's the cheapest 2.4/5GHz router that supports openwrt/LEDE?

Interested to know this too. Need to step up my router game. Still using one from 08/09 with no vpn....

>mfw hipsters recommend ubiquiti

Unless you like running power cable to your AP or using proprietary switch that is compliant with their PoE protocol, stay away from Ubiquiti.

It would've cost nothing for Ubiquiti to use standard PoE standard, but no, they wanted to make their customer buy the junky PoE switch to use with their APs.

I have one of those, but decided to get a cheap TP-Link router for my secondary set-up, cause of price prohibition. RouterOS is pretty neat though.

Use it for on of my APs. All you need to do is run the ethernet cable to the AP and it provides both power and ethernet -- beats running power cable+ethernet to the AP.

Haha, same, thing is bit dodgy when using wi-fi but for the price I don't think I could expect any better.

I have a netgear r7000 in one house, a r8000 at the other. I very strongly prefer the R7000's performance at either location. I have tried them at both spots and the r7000 just kicks the r8000's ass in every measurable way at either location.

The throughput of the r7000 is consistently excellent and considering it's been in service for me for 3 years I am pretty pleased with it

>QOS doesn't work

but it does

>he thinks he's not paying for it with his bill

kek