Thank you, Canonical

Thank you, Canonical.

Will there ever exist a Linux distro that doesn't shit itself three times a day out of the box ?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/01/why-screen-lockers-on-x11-cannot-be-secure/
bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=360489
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No

I refuse to believe that this is real.

Please tell me you explicitly updated your de without doing the rest of your packages.

Manjaro

debian only

>loginctl

systemd: not even once

Xubuntu

>create VM
>install Kubuntu 17.10
>switch to Chrome for a moment
>come back to VB
>see this

Why not just auto map ctrl alt F2 to execute that command as soon as this occurs? Do Linux devs not care about usability?

Devone ;)

This has no sense, you must login on tty2 to execute the command, I sense that an automap for login is a bad idea...

inb4
> I was trolling all along :^)

Blame systemd and GNOME i.e. FreeDesktop and Red Hat, not Canonical.

Of course.

Be happy that it's telling you what to do. Windows's solution to this sort of error would be to bluescreen.

>systemd
Probably the issue.
>GNOME
did you not see that his VM is called "Kubuntu"?

Stop using Ubuntu-based crap. I have Fedora 27 with KDE and that never happened to me.

Probably a virtualbox issue.
Try restarting the VM and disabling screen lock in the settings

Windows never does that.

Fedora won't even boot without freezing on my laptop. In a VM, I remember seeing it shit itself on the second boot.

Most distros use the same systemd garbage.
Blame Red Hat, not Canonical.

Werks On My Machineā„¢

Slackware

i didnt even need to look at window title to know it was kubuntu. seriously, when will people stop falling for this shit distro?

What the fuck do you people do to your installs?

I can count on one hand how many times I've had a Loonix distro shit the bed on me and every. fucking. time. it was because of some dumb shit thing I did.

I've never had one just up and die.

ProTip: Stop fucking around with shit you don't understand and your computer won't get fucked. Idiots.

>Will there ever exist a Linux distro that doesn't shit itself three times a day out of the box ?
LFS

/thread

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

BSOD is just for hardware, kernel and vital system processes related issues. Something like that would just result in no "screen locker"

BSOD is for kenel fails, you nigga.
Login screen is not kernel in Windows (but Ctrl+alt+delete window)

>hurr i not could read english
This is a fresh install.

>hur i use linux in virtualbox every fucking day and never have this problem

brainlet

>hurr it werks on my pc

G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O

systemd: RedHat bringing the Windows(tm) experience to a distro near you!

>loginctl
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Been using Manjaro on my main desktop for several months now. I'm pleasantly surprised how stable and comfy everything is.

noice blog post

Mine don't and haven't since the early 2000s. Go back to Windows. The vast majority of nixfags just want to rice. You can rice Windows instead. All Linux complaints can be solved by going back to Windows or Applel. Do so.

>Want to set up a dev VM
>Be reminded every distro sucks
>Complain
>>Well Linux is actual shit and you shouldn't use it
thanks bro

You sure do know how to provide relevant shit to the conversation.

Daily reminder that Linux is literally less secure than Windows.

blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/01/why-screen-lockers-on-x11-cannot-be-secure/

>Will there ever exist a Linux distro that doesn't shit itself three times a day out of the box ?

Fedora

The only screen lockers you should ever use are xscreensaver and slock, OP.

Updates easily break it, so no.

desktop linux is and will always be trash, only use it if you are on a shitbox. also linux is full of regressions, for example my laptop audio works on 4.12 but is broken on 4.13 or newer.

my gentoo machine doesn't have this problem :^)

If you major worry on IT security is that someone might come to your house and mess with the screen lock I guess you have a pretty calm life.

>what are laptops?
>what are office desktops?
There's a reason your meme ToyOS never amounted to anything outside of the glorified calculators you call supercomputers and a small portion of webservers.

>KDE

> Small portion
kek

Also, that what OP gets for using KDE:

bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=360489

Great job retard, you broke it.

Well if you don't understand what's an hyperbolic metaphor I'm sorry for you.

t. Windows 7 user.

Did you know an interesting fact about the Windows kernel? Back in the days when they blorted out the NT kernel they decided to code in it all the GUI too. This is whay you can't have a CLI only windows (even the version "server core" displays some tragically comic gui (See pic related, it's like that).

What this comes to mean is that yep, if your screenlocker decides to die on you you are out of luck, either it crashes the PC altogether (BSOD) or simply stays totally unresponsive until you reboot.

>Please do not expect us to go an extramile to support a corner case of the corner case.
Yeah, well, that's the difference between software developed by amateur hobbyists, and software professionally developed by engineers at Microsoft.

If you unironically use Linux instead of Windows, you are retarded. Period.

>t. street shitter sub human

Yes, OP. It's called the LTS.

> If you unironically use Linux instead of Windows, you are retarded. Period.

Oh please, the oter post is mine too, comment on it and explain me how professional software developers (which you may think all of them are developing for Microsoft somehow) can develop a clusterfuck so epic.

And no, I only use Linux, both at work and at home, because 1 - I am a Linux sysadmin 2 - I don't like my pc to spy on me and sell me adds, force feed me updates when I acttually need to use my desktop, and 3 - I appreciate having control of what happens in my proppierty. Even if this means not using KDE if screenlock randomly fails amd you have to switch tty to fix it.

What is your excuse for using Windows and getting your ass abused by a corporation every other week?

Let me guess...

> But mah gayms!

kek

>y-you Indian!
>[botnet conspiracy theories]
Stay frustrated.

>What is your excuse for using Windows
Because I need to, you know, get some ACTUAL work done like any normal person?

>getting your ass abused by a corporation
Nice delusions, faggot.

The sad part is that you probably mean by getting work done " is write a couple emails and using the MS Office suite.

Been using Arch as a general purpose desktop distro (gaming, video editing, browsing, coding) for about 2 months now.

I had 0 problems so far, pretty stable, fast af, I keep it up to date.

this

I'm at six months and never been so happy with my distro.

that is actually real lol that happened to me too about two days ago after putting ubuntu on my laptop rip

It's the truth. It is actual shit.

BSD OTOH is serious business. You can have quality or bleeding edge features, not both.

>didn't even read the link

>take quote straight from the link
>"lmao u didn't even read the link huehuehue XD"

>bug asking devs to create a different message for his special setup that nobody uses
>obviously gets ignored
>>LE LINUX BTFO XDDDDDDD
kys retard