/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/p7kmf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/NyDT4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/fwMryf
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/intel-meltdown-spectre-silicon-fixes-coming-2018-3d-xpoint-ram-not-so-much/
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1&L=0,140
pcpartpicker.com/list/74hZBP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Before we were all Intel and now we are all Ryzen

DELID DIS
pls buy intel and show your support for feminist frequency

>No i5 8400/i7
shill thread don't reply

also post previous thread faggot

Is getting an i7-8700 a waste of money if you're trying to cut off the cost of getting a ryzen 5 1600 + GPU. I don't have a GPU that I can port over and use temporarily. The lowest I'd go on a GPU is a 1050ti and that would make the CPU+GPU like $400. I'm absolutely fine with not being able to play video games period until GPU prices drop.

So am I wrong in assuming that this method will net me a better CPU and will also initially cost less because it will be $300 vs $400?

Is the Phanteks P400 Silent Edition worth the $10 premium over the regular P400?

pcpartpicker.com/list/p7kmf8
Where would I plug my monitor into to use the intel integrated graphics?

pcpartpicker.com/list/NyDT4C

Pretty much it, I have the SSDs, monitor etc but no clue about what ram to pick. Also, any thoughts about the mobo? Or should i just go with a ASUS Prime X370-Pro and a big case?

I will eventually overclock this.

Not a waste, but you also have the 8400 and 2400G to consider. Or you could just not use a computer and instead use a laptop or phone if you have one
You would plug into the motherboard's VGA/DVI/HDMI. Don't buy the 960 Evo unless you really need to because you could buy a larger SATA SSD or even a used video card with the money you save by going SATA
Do you care about budget? If so, get the 1700 and whatever board you want. If you don't, get the crosshair VI hero and a good cooler if you don't already have one.

To the guys who are crying over the ether-Niggers:
Why arent you just mining crypto for a couple months with your single gpu to get the costs of the overpriced gpu back in ?
All problems solved.

Mobo

It destroys the VRAM over time and you lose your warranty if the manufacturer decides that your mining efforts broke the card and they don't want to send you another

why 1700? Isnt the 1800x better?

I thought the 960 EVO had absolutely meme levels of speed compared to everything else on the market. Like I know you're basically doubling the price of your HD but if it's not the primary storage drive it shouldn't be a big deal right? And the 960 evo I got is the 240 version so it's 100$ which I really can't get much cheaper than that I can only get more space-cost effectiveness.

The 1800X is better only if you have a premium cooler and motherboard for higher overclocking capability. Otherwise you are wasting $60 on a CPU that you could spend on something else because the 1700 and 1800X are the same except for clocks.
Meme levels of speed that you aren't going to use, ever. Boots and loads are barely faster if at all

Building my first PC.
What do you guys think of this? Going to be using it for vidya.
I already have the 1080 & a 1440p monitor.

Anywhere I need to spend a bit more on or is this sufficient would you guys say?
My whole budget is $1000 but if I can get away with spending this much less, I'd like to.

So whats a good drive for what I want then that has good cost effectiveness but leans more on the side of speed vs size?

A small case would be ideal tho so thats why I'm think about getting the ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX. Could go with the Hero VI otherwse but how much better is it than the Asus prime X370-pro anyways?

Ok, so thats why I should get a Hero VI? What cooler would be reccomended? Are the Corsair water cooler kits good? Also how big is needed?

Hey Sup Forums. I currently own a GTX 980Ti. I'm at Microcenter and they're selling their RX-580's for MSRP. I.e. I can get an Asus Strix OX 8GB 580 for $360. Is it worth the swap?

You can save money on a motherboard because VRM quality barely matters to you
Get 16GB of memory
The 2TB BarraCuda if you want better price/TB
Strongly consider an SSD
850 EVO or the new 860 EVO
Used 850 PRO if you can get one
If you get the ITX get a 1700 because you might as well save the money
NH-D15 is the best air cooler and better than all non-360mm AIOs. The S model is also good. Otherwise, dark rock pro 3 is good and 240mm+ AIOs aren't bad, but mostly expensive.
The 980 Ti is around a 1070 in performance, which is quite a bot better than a 580. Not worth it at all unless your card is broken.

>Not worth it unless your card is broken
>Less than 1079 performance
Ah ok. I figured Vulkan and DX12 may have boosted AMD performance across the board. Guess I'll stick with my 980Ti. Thanks.

No that's dumb. Just get 1600 and a cheap $100 GPU. It will be faster than 8700.

the 1600 is really faster than the 8700? I don't understand how that's possible because they have the same amount of cores, and the intel CPU's generally have far better single threaded performance.

I assume he means a 1600 and dedicated graphics will be faster, which is true. Best to find a used 700 or 900 series card and the 1600

>Replaced 500w PSU with 650w PSU
>Replaced cables
>Went from using an HDMI to a DVI-D with my GPU
>Changed monitors
>Still running into the issue where my computer will go into power saving mode
I don't know what else to do. I've built this back in December and it worked perfectly in that month up until recently.

I need to buy a case and I'm on a budget so I can't really go past £80, but my real problem is that my room gets super dusty and this makes me unsure which is the better option of case.

>Thermaltake Core G21
>Doesn't have the meme solid front cover so more air for cooling
>Can only buy one additional fan

>Phanteks Eclipse P300
>Does have the meme solid front cover so less cooling
>But can buy two additional fans

They both come to £80 doing it that way or I can get a Cooler Master Litebox 5 and 2 extra fans and that'll only come to £65.
Pls gib halp bros.

pcpartpicker.com/list/fwMryf
So is this list better? Also the 850 evo is $137 for 500 gigs. I mean the extra space is better but I won't really need it. Am I seriously never going to use the faster read and write from the 960?

Alright, but why 16GB of RAM? I can afford it but I often hear 8GB is always more than enough, with 16GB just being excessive.
Also can you recommend me a motherboard? I only chose the ASRock off of recommendation.

t. brainlet

8gb being more than enough might have been the case a couple of years ago but we've legitimately reached the stage where 16gb is closer to what 8gb used to be. Windows OS and games are just reserving more memory now than before.

a broken/underpowered PSU will result in your PC shutting down, not going into power saving mode. It has nothing to do wiht your GPU either. It's a software issue, your hardware can't make your PC enter power saving mode.

If my PC is shutting off randomly but my temperature isn't going off the charts or anything does that mean its probably a PSU issue? This is on a 8 year old computer using a built in case PSU.

I just got my first 144hz 2k monitor and finished building my new rig. It's just so beautiful boys. Coming from 60hz 1080p it's much smoother than I'd anticipated.

Install/update chipset drivers maybe? I know that there are sometimes power saving features with those
Check craigslist and used electronics stores or get a 1030/1050
The 850/860 at 500GB is much more useful than the 960 at 250GB
Most programs take advantage of over 8GB of memory

1080p is 2k

How do I decide which monitor to buy? I'm looking just for 1080p, gaymes and office work,1050ti.
What factors do I need to consider? Price preferably lower. Any best bets?

Additional stupid question too, is a TV-monitor worth considering?

Oh right. Isn't 2560X1440 2.5k?

a bit ambiguous. If the OS isn't shutting down but the PC just powers down without any warning whatsoever and all components lost power (no LEDs, drives or fans powered) chances are it's a PSU issue.

Yes, if you follow the "k" naming scheme. I prefer the p/i (1080p, 1080i) naming scheme though

Depends on what games, but probably a used 1080p monitor
If you want new you could get a larger monitor with more pixels and/or IPS display

I'll try that then. When I downloaded the drivers, I did it off of the CD. Maybe I'm just being dumb and that's the reason behind the problem.

If that fails then try reinstalling your OS

Assuming I want to go with Intel, how long will I have to wait before I get a CPU that isn't affected by meltdown?

one to two years. They have the redesign the entire branch predictor, one of the most sensible parts of a CPU. Time from design to product for CPUs is usually a year at least.

Why would you want to go with [brand name] anyways? Select what's the best option for your budget. Maybe wait until the zen+ launch, then we'll get new benchmarks with all the security patches and see how they affect real world performance for desktop workloads.

They had it fixed on their 10nm chips ahead of time, so once they are able to market those to consumers (a couple gens from now) then Intel will be free of meltdown

>arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/intel-meltdown-spectre-silicon-fixes-coming-2018-3d-xpoint-ram-not-so-much/

It's Arse Technica so it could be shit like usual, but I also haven't clicked any of the links in the article to check.

What ram to pick for
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard ? 16Gb

Yeah, updating the chipset drivers didn't help. I noticed my GPU sounding pretty loud after, but like you guys said, you doubt that it's GPU or PSU related. I'll reinstall Windows then.

Check QVL, but probably 16GB of CL14 3200MHz because it runs the best on Ryzen and overclocks really well
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1&L=0,140

FUCKING DDR4 PRICES!!

anyone knows if it's possible to buy wholesale DDR4? I want to buy some 128GB of 8GB DDR4 modules... not a lot, but still a good amount

Where did you get that? Intel said they'll have changes in silicon due to spectre/meltdown this year, not fixes. Could be just some minor stuff to make orders like IBRS less of a performance nightmare.

it makes me think.

how much has AMD paid everyone ?

pcpartpicker.com/list/74hZBP
Esports Machine, below 500USD and also makeshift IED.

Sure, you'll get a discount if you buy enough to equip a small server farm. For four DIMMs?not so much

>£500 for 32GB DDR4 vengeance

horee shit, i remember buying my first 16GB RAM for like £30

They paid everyone with free CPUs.

It's simple. If Ryzen was a huge performance flop and not even close to Intel in professional applications or games, most of Sup Forums would still be recommending Intel. But the opposite is true. Ryzen brought high core/thread count to the consumer for low prices while Intel was price gouging everyone for anything above 4c/8t. Not to mention you had to pay the price premium to be allowed to overclock.

But the nail in the coffin was the while Meltdown debacle for a lot of people. Again, had Ryzen been just another Bulldozer, people would still be using/recommending Intel , but that's not the case.

t. Former i7-6700k/Z170 and current 1700X/X370 owner.

>esport
>that system
>60Hz screen
>wireless keyboard
Guess I'll start at the tour de France next year with my antique wooden bicycle

On a more serious note, raven ridge hits in march, wait for that. Better CPU and GPU in one part for less money than that. And get a PSU that isn't Chinese shit without protection circuits, that budget doesn't look like you can afford frying your hardware.

>Mfw everyone is freaking out over ram prices
>Mfw I got my 4x8GB kit of CL12 DDR4-2400mhz for $120

I feel sorry for anyone building from scratch these days.

well, 128GB of 4GB each module then

these motherfuckers are taking advantage of us like crazy. the worst part is, people here will defend them...

sell them to me plz

i5 8400 or R5 1600?

Depends on your usage
Neither option should be bad in most cases
Also, AM4 boards go cheaper

No, and technically 3840p isn't 4k either, even though marketers keep misusing the term.

REEEEEEEEEE STOP BUYING PRODUCTS!!!!

honestly i don't know why people aren't mad at card makers for not making more, instead of profiteering at this inflated price

>needing anything more than 1080p

It's the retailers who set the prices, card makers just get to make more cards.

>£2000 for 128GB

>not using a 640x480 CRT

>needing
Who said so

It's always swinging back and forth. In 5 years time everyone will be back on Intel

>

Why do people still buy SATA SSDs for their new builds that support nVME?

probably because they're about 90% cheaper and still pretty fast. HDD user here, never had SSD before but next build probably next year of when this one dies i'll get an SSD.

Because its cheaper and there is no significant performance difference for most consumer applications

>people keep saying AMD is bad for emulation like it's still the FX days

Fucking hell, it has to be shills still doing this right? A measly google search would prove this wrong.

NVMe costs ≈50% more per GB and the load performance is nit 50% better in most cases

8400 is better for gaming, 1600 is better workstation productivity.

The 8400 suffers (right now) from having no good motherboards for it - it is stupid to put a locked chip on Z370.

They're plenty faster than SATA SSDs, not just in read speeds but latency too
If you want loads of storage for cheap that's what HDDs are for

They are not fast enough for the money
If you really want fast speeds I could tell you to make a RAMdisk

Literally 6 times faster than a SATA SSD

I bought the 8400 with a 110 dollar msi z370. Ram has gone up 60 dollars since then so i am glad i didnt wait. But yes its not ideal to be forced to buy a z370 with it, but you do get a nice board

And DDR4 is a power of 10 faster than that

>volatile storage
literally apples to oranges

You are already comparing solid-state to mechanical

>tfw the crypto bubble bursts
>tfw the cryptomemers have literally nothing of value except their GPUs
>tfw they flood the market with so many that they actually drive the price down and still end up out of pocket

I was comparing solid state to solid state, dummy

Both are non-volatile

What was ?
Still an apples to oranges comparison

Don't buy GPUs from miners, it'll fuck them over even harder

Retards are still fucking with OP. It changes every day.

I see you're not all that well versed in the English language

Bottom line is that many tiers of storage exist based on speed and no one tier is useless or completely superior

Is the horizontal resolution around 2000px? Then it's not 2K.

Yes, 1920 is around 2000 pixels.

Is a Seagate Firecuda SSHD worth it over a normal Baracuda? Are Hybrid drives in general worth it?

My current internal HDD started making weird noises, i have to replace it.

Hybrid drives are only a good option if you really can't afford an SSD but need storage

No. Only 2048×1080 is. DCI doesn't recognize 1920x1080 as 2K, so it isn't.