Which PC will last longer - one that is turned off every night and turned on every morning or one that is on all the...

Which PC will last longer - one that is turned off every night and turned on every morning or one that is on all the time?

Off then on.

The one that gets cleaned eventually

One ran all the time, startup cycles accelerate harddrive wear.

Even on SSD?

one that does not run on ayymd hardware

The one that is on all the time because of I've seen servers that ran for a decade non-stop that refused to turn on after a power failure.

Servers are meant to run all the time

Hook it up to a dimmer switch and rotate it around from time to tome to clean out the capacitors.

whats the differecnce between in context here a server and a /desktop

The hardware is the same you meme. Electrical principles don't change, the server hardware CAN be better quality, but there is also desktop-grade hardware that can be better than server hardware. Literally the same chips are used. The only major difference is ECC RAM is a must for servers while it isn't even common on desktops.

Shitty Seagate HDD in a G75VX has like 5 years of on time, so.

doesn't matter. hard drives might enjoy constant power over on/off cycles (even that's debatable), but other parts don't wear down with time as long as you clean it from time to time. overall, you won't notice it anyways since you're going to change your parts in next five years

cpus are underclocked, which extends their life. not like it matters though, cpus live forever

Yeah this is surprisingly common for really old machines.

heavily depends on a CPU, the consumer ones like Ryzen 5 1XXX are literally the same CPU clocked differently. Most not complete shit desktop motherboards let you OC your CPU with a click of one button. Not to mention that as long as the temperature don't fluctuate and doesn't get over a certain limit it doesn't matter.

non-stop usage puts way more stress on stuff, mainlyPSU, power regulators on motherboard, disks.

>The hardware is the same
Then why does a good server cost 10x a good desktop

But not necessarily that long. Ideally, a company should replace the servers every few years because the hardware steadily wears out.

As long as you don't apply meme voltages or whatever your CPU should survive even a mild OC for many years.

That's because the HDDs aren't properly insulated and some stuff accumulates at a parking position. With normal use HDD parks constantly kinda wiping it off, but if it runs for a very long time too much stuff accumulates and fucks up the whole thing.
You can see the membrane of the filter on the left one.

Full shutdown every 2-4 weeks is a happy medium for home PCs.

One of my laptops has been running for 2 weeks, the thing is it doesnt have an HDD and has been running on a LiveCD charging 24/7
Im too lazy to go out and buy a new suitable HDD, am I doing this right?

Because of support.
This is true for MOST enterprise grade hardware - it's not the components as much as a guarantee that in the next 10 something years you would get the whole thing replaced instantly if something breaks. Downtime is a big no-no. Also the testing - it's a consequence of the support - all enterprise stuff gets tested before shipping.

>Stress
>Electronics

Nigga you what? Stressing the PSU is running it under a peak load for prolonged time, not just running it.

More electrons that go through a circuit, the more it degrades

>doesnt have an HDD and has been running on a LiveCD charging 24/7
depends what you are doing with it, normal day to day use hardly benefits from live cd, but in some specific cases live cd can be a life saver

You do realize that at rates with which copper degrades from electrons running through it your grand-grand-grand kids would be long dead before it would even start showing signs of any degradation you degenerate?

I have been using the laptop for normal daily use, cleaning cache to avoid running out of space, I guess I should really stop
>life saver
Ikr, HDD died but I could continue working thanks to the CD

Seriously hoping this is a fucking joke. Better to just solder on bleeder resistors to every capacitor.

Servers are generally made with higher quality components specifically tested to run 24x7 for upwards of seven years. Manuafacturers risk a lot with warranty options and have to have reliable equipment. It is also sourced consistently. Whereas a consumer PC may see different components based on price and batch.

Leaving it on will make it last longer.

The constant blowing air from the fans will make it so that dust can not gather on any parts / clog the fans because they will constantly be blowing the dust away. Super dusty computers are the ones that were turned off at night.

Server hardware is tested much more rigiourously than PC hardware. The engineering of a new server line takes close to two years for validation and component testing. A real server definitely has much higher quality components including power supply and capacitors that make consumer devices look like toys. For the most part PC lines are barely validated and components can vary over the lifetime since they are sourced on price and availability over anything else. Two identical Dell model consumer PC's for instance may ship with different hard drives or even mother boards if purchased from different batches or sourced from different manaufacturers or shops.

In my 35 years or so of working on or with computers I have personally only witnessed or dealt with two CPU failures.

the yellow light of death on playstation 3's was caused by turning the console on and off again a lot. every time the thing heated up, the circuits would expand and when it cooled down they'd contract again. this would cause cracks eventually.
my vote goes for the computer that's on all the time

Depends on your machine usage, performance, and requirement.
Constantly turning off then on every day will safe you lots of energy, especially in rarely used machine.
It also will "refresh" the machine in case of "faulty" OS (cough, Windows, cough), kill zombie processes, and also closing down services that didn't really needed anymore.

Having an always on machine will be very beneficial on machine that require it.
There is no downtime for the machine booting up, reduced energy consumption, since booting up also consuming energy without the machine doing anything other than copy something to memory.

Having a machine that able to reduce it's energy consumption is also really good for always on machine, because in the night, the machine can switch to low power mode, and turn off its fan to reduce fan wear.

also give a good point on the always on machine, but some hard disk manufacture sometimes force their hard disk to spinning down after certain amount of time being inactive, and you can't override the "feature",
so there is no point on doing it.

lot of bad replies in this thread

Basicly Most electronics fail when the electrolytic capacitors dry out and go poof. They go poof when they are put under a huge amount of stress at start-up.

If you keep things running 24/7 they are electrically and thermally stable. Its just paying for the fucking power that is the only negative.

t. electrical engineer who deals with alot of old creaky equipment.

>Then why does a good server cost 10x a good desktop
The extra cost is mostly data retention during failure, redundancy, support, and after sales service shit that the average home user doesn't need.

What the fuck happened to this whole website?

This is how you know this user doesn't know a damn thing about electricity.

There are $1 lightbulbs that have been running for 100 years of constant use. Why? Because they don't get turned off every fucking day.

The one that is left on will last longer.
Hot cold cycles is what kills things.

If I wasn't the one paying the bills I'd say leaving it on is better.

Does a sleeping computer keep the capacitors charged?

power is pretty cheap in my country so I leave all my stuff on constantly. I have my giant ass fridge, lighting, pc and servers always on, ac, heating etc and only pay around $25 a month in electricity.

I feel bad that no one took your bait, here's a (you), try not to spend it all in one street, pajeet.

Of course the one that is turned off every night. If you dont turn your computer off at night you will get the night shift electrons, and they are usually more lazy and careless than the day shift electrons, so they will probably blow up a capacitor or something.

> he doesn't know about silicon hole migration

But user, what about Superior Nippon Solid Capacitors?

For the memory at least

When my 1 TB WD Black HDD was my main boot drive from 2009 to 2015, I never had it set to go to sleep after some time of inactivity.

If fact, I never put my computer to sleep then either. I just let it idle 24/7.

That HDD is now a storage drive when I got an SSD, and to this day, it still runs perfectly.

Hard drives use bearings, even with contact-less bearings, CHANGES in speed is the killer.

So a levitating bearing or journal bearing will last a lot longer if they're ran a constant speed to avoid the possibility of contact.

I would certainly hope you keep your fridge on if you plan to store food in it.

To add, HEAT is the biggest killer of components being ran as intended.

Also, with capacitors, bad ripple in the current will kill them faster.

A capacitors rated ripple current is the current at a certain frequency that a capacitor can take for specified time for a specified temp before starting to leak current or break down in other ways.

If you look at capacitor pricing for a given situation, the one with the higher temp rating is more expensive than just increasing the life hours rating (ripple life hours).

If you had ripple over the ripple current rating 24/7 and temps at the max temp rating, most capacitors would only last months.

If you're equipment had twice the efficiency, you'd buy yourself a Normie-flix subscription every month.

A penny saved is a penny earned...

But I'm on the same camp as you, I buy computers and electronics for convenience. Waiting 40 seconds for Windows to boot when I'm late and just need to check the weather really quick is annoying.

just use sleep mode
the computer uses like 10% of the power and is about as quick at booting up