You have 10 seconds to prove that SSD's aren't a scam

You have 10 seconds to prove that SSD's aren't a scam
>Pay twice as much for half the storage because it's faster
>Put everything on a HDD anyways because you want to save your precious SSD space
>Only things that benefit from SSD's are - 1) Booting, done once a week at most. 2) Infrequently used programs like photoshop. 3) Gaymen; video games that are too large for an SSD.

>because it's faster
you mean much faster right?
> Infrequently used programs like photoshop
actually every application will benefit somehow from it
> video games that are too large for an SSD
1TB SSDs are pretty cheap you know...

A 1TB SSD costs like $250 you poorfag.

>1TB SSDs are pretty cheap
>pretty cheap

Aside from the speed, they're also less vulnerable to impacts and magnets.

They are a scam. Don't buy one. Now fuck off.

Less vulnerable to impacts? Are the platters in SSDs more resilient?

>being this poor

>platters

This is a troll thread and y'all have been had.

what are you retarded
you can get 2x 500gb samsung evo for like $300

Are you denying that SSHDs have platters?

>hur dur look at my cherry picking i troll u xP

>1) Booting, done once a week at most.
Using a laptop because I move alot each day, so a couple of times a day actually.
>2) Infrequently used programs like photoshop
All of my OS, files and software are on my SSD, except for long-term storage and backups.
>3) Gaymen; video games that are too large for an SSD
See previous answers

>>Pay twice as much for half the storage because it's faster
t. poorfag
>>Put everything on a HDD anyways because you want to save your precious SSD space
t. brainlet
>Only things that benefit from SSD's are - 1) Booting, done once a week at most. 2) Infrequently used programs like photoshop. 3) Gaymen; video games that are too large for an SSD.
t. poorfag brainlet

enjoy crashing platters luddite

Magnets? How do they work?

SSDlet defending that their 300$ delicate devices.
Probably most of you retards have spent like thousands of dollars for cooling everything in your pc, leaving only HDD exposed to heat.

All electronics is vulnerable to magnetic field

>3) Gaymen; video games that are too large for an SSD.

It's 2018 not 2008

I don't think he was because you were talking about SSD not SSHD

The average AAA PC game is at least 100GB.

They have so many similarities that the terms can be used interchangeably.

>buy expensive SSD because muh speed
>have a build-in expiration date
ahahah

Citation needed

>1: why don't you turn your computer off lmao literally just save power and turn off LEDs, don't be a fag
>2: not everyone is you, some people use PS or Premiere etc quite a lot
>3: what u on lmao i have games i regularly play on my SSD eg CS:GAY etc, whereas less played games are on my hdd

Gears of War Ultimate Edition requires 350 GB of space to install every game included with DLC.

After 20 years i think i'd upgrade to something different. At least i could copy my data from it.

>1) Booting, done once a week at most.
user, are you telling me you leave your computer on when you arent using it? i hope you arent paying for your electricity user. and i hope you dont mind the government and big tech monitoring your shit while your computer is """off."""

Firecudas are enough. SSDs are a scam compared to getting one of those for your OS and games instead.

Why is it a lot of classic pc games from the 90s - 2004 are damn good yet a lot of them now which use 30-80GB are shit? The Classic shooter UT and Quake 3 only use like maybe 700mb full yet are fun as hell to play. Something is wrong don't you think.

>one game
>actually 4 games in one

1 cherry picked game you spic.

Companies think they need to have a metric fuckton of uncompressed high resolution textures and sounds in their games. I'm glad that some games give the option to leave out the high resolution textures to make the downloads smaller.

Call of Duty Black Ops III requires 101 GB of space to include the full game with all the DLC, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare needed 95 GB for its full game too.

Call of Duty WWII is shaping up to go over the 100 GB limit soon.

>asks for a citation
>gets two cherry-picked naked assertions

You're not a smart one are you?

Speedlet COPE

>asks for citation
>gets things that back up the assertion made
>LOL THOSE DONT COUNT

Brainlet.

You are not even trying at this point.

ITT. Thing that never happens

my work pc ssd ran out of space and i had to clone to a wd black 1tb spinner. everything lags like shit now.

use the ssd as a cache for the hdd. won't be as fast as a single ssd but sure it will relieve the pain.

I have an SSD for windows, an SSD for games, and dual 1TB HDD for everything else. Not a scam, just over priced.

Since this is a shitty bait thread, lets put it to use.

You have 10 seconds to prove that PCIe/NVMe isn't a scam.

are PCIe and NVMe SSDs better than the average harddrive?

>booting once a week
Maybe if you're still at your mom's house. Those of us that pay for our own electricity shut the computer off when we're done using it...

So what if I live with my mom
>up time: 8 days 22 hours

I just moved out. Don't get me wrong, when I was there, I NEVER shutdown my desktop. Now that I'm paying for my own power, I've been shutting it off.

i want to fug vanilla

>Pay twice as much for half the storage because it's faster
>Put everything on a HDD anyways because you want to save your precious SSD space
Not even that. Things like movies and TV shows aren't going to benefit from being stored on an SSD, so I don't need to get one large enough to store them.
>Only things that benefit from SSD's are - 1) Booting, done once a week at most. 2) Infrequently used programs like photoshop. 3) Gaymen; video games that are too large for an SSD
If you don't think everything opening practically instantaneously is worth it then by all means, stick to using HDDs.

>actually every application will benefit somehow from it
But that's false. A small minority of programs that I use even do I/O at all on a regular basis. Virtually all their filesystem needs hit the block cache. And if you have too little block cache for that, it's better to just invest in more RAM instead.

PC's use fuck all for power, especially when they're idle, but I guess if I had to pay I would turn it off too.

>they're vulnerable to problems noone ever has
Sure, I guess SSDs make some sense in notebooks, but we're talking about real computers here.

>laptop
Whyever would you even reboot a laptop at all? The block cache isn't cleared by the system being put in standby mode, you know.

yew

>A small minority of programs that I use even do I/O at all on a regular basis
It still benefits a lot when you open the program.

(((You)))
I got a 1TB Samsung for 269 on nigger friday

>Those of us that pay for our own electricity shut the computer off when we're done using it...
Pic related, and that's only because I had a power outage then. I'm supposed to be a poorfag, and I wouldn't even consider turning my computer off.

I bought a 2TB SSHD for under 100USD

you still got ripped off cuckboi

>It still benefits a lot when you open the program.
Only the first time since I boot, then it stays cached. Also the vast majority of programs I use stay running since I boot anyway.

Ya got me there. I could have it on all the time, but it just feels wasteful now. I have a small Discord bot server I leave on, but that's about it.

>it just feels wasteful
And restarting your session and programs every day doesn't?

>SSHD
I think (You) got ripped off.

My desktop boots pretty quick, and I only have a few programs I need to start up when logging in. I see the point if you really have many programs you NEED running on startup.

>2018
>caring about storage when you can quickly download anything you want
Don't tell me that you don't have a connection of at least 100 Mbps. Even third world countries have them.

You say that just because you have no idea. Your "fuck all" 150W is more than leaving all the lights on for the same time.

It's faster, smaller, quieter, consumes less power and it's not affected by shock or vibrations.
Pretty soon it will also be cheaper per GB and contain more storage per inch than traditional HDD's.
Also, I shut my PC down every night and use Photoshop daily, don't assume everyone uses a PC the same way as you do. And my boot SSD is 512GB, big enough for multiple installed programs and games.

That would cost a whole $10 a month

>programs I need to start up when logging in
It's just as much about the programs I need infrequently. Even if they actually started up instantly, there's still the chore of getting them into the state you want to have them in, with the right files opened, the right settings turned on, &c&c.

post more animes with cups

I got 1tb for like 60$ no way I'm paying for fucking flash cards just because muh loading time is 2 seconds better

For that price you can get an 8tb HDD.

Nice

It's not everywhere that a kW costs $0.03. When I took my PC to my own apartment and started leaving it on 24/7, the next bill came $75 higher, almost double the previous value. Stopped leaving it on and assembled a new PC with the least power-hungry parts I could find fit for serving what I needed on 24/7, only then it made almost no difference.

my cute gf illya loves drinking my seieki

ssd wears a lot faster.
I wrote a different value to a byte constantly, and by the end of the week I couldn't write to the ssd.

people like fast
ssd's give you that option

/thread

I just use standby mode

But even like a cold boot, Windows 10 is in no hurry to reconnect to my wifi so I have to manually disable and enable the adapter.

>guy says games are 100GB
>says game is not 100GB
>guy posts link to 350GB game
>says its 4 games not 1
>350/4=87.5
>essentially 100GB

Nice bait
>Not understanding how CPU bottlenecks work

That's my daughter you sick fuck!

>buy $110 500 GB SSD
>everything now loads 50 times faster
>software updates and start-ups happen virtually instantly
>have a 2TB normal HDD but I rarely even spin it up because 500 GB is enough

Automobiles are a scam. You pay $16,000 just for something faster when you could have just walked.

That's exactly what third-gen SSDs are not meant for. That's also why it's recommended to move swap/scratch/cache folders out of it, disable indexing and other write-intensive (and usually redundant or unnecessary with an SSD) optimizations.

>1 cherry picked game you spic.
you idiots all sound the same
get rekt then you call it cherry picked

Wow it's almost like the SSD isn't the bottleneck which is the whole point

found the guy who hasn't bought a SSD in 10 years. if you have a serious workload then you can also buy enterprise SSDs which have insanely high workload ratings