Do you think these things are reliable? I want to buy a new SSD but my current laptop doesn't have an M...

Do you think these things are reliable? I want to buy a new SSD but my current laptop doesn't have an M.2 port so I'd have to buy a standard 2.5" drive. But I'd also want to eventually keep the drive for a new laptop. So the solution seems to be pic related.

The m.2 is just a type of connector, it supports both PCI-E and SATA.

those are shit. just buy a pci nvme expansion board. you'll be able to slot 2 nvme cards or more

That's not what I asked.

It's for a laptop so that's not an option.

Should be reliable. The pcb is extremely simple, some regulation on the power side but the data is a straight connection between both connectors.

I've had one running for a couple years and it hasn't broken. Buy two if you're concerned. They're cheap as dirt.

How can it not be reliable, LOOK HOW SIME IT IS, there is literally nothing to break. GUYS?? IS HDMI TO DVI RELIABLE??

I've bought one two years ago and haven't had any issues with it.

>Buy two if you're concerned
What I'm concerned about is whether it'll fry my new SSD.

Ebin. Back in the day a SATA-to-IDE adapter fried one of my HDDs and I lost all my data.

Thanks man.

M.2 (SATA) to SATA or DVI to HDMI are passive conversions.
SATA to IDE is not.

By the time you buy a new laptop you may not want a drive that small for other than external use.

Its extremely unlikely that you'll fry your drive, even if the device fails. I'm pretty sure those components are just a few capacitors, resistors, a diode and a transistor. Even if they fail closed (shouldn't by design) you're not going to get a damaged drive unless something else upstream fails.

I'm using one right now to clone my os to a ssd from my laptops stock hdd. Works flawlessly and was like 7usd

>That's not what I asked.
You did, you just aren't smart enough to understand what he meant with his comment.

it has little to non circuitry, it can only be reliable

For the boards which support multiple M2 disks, that assumes that the motherboard supports PCIE bifurcation on whatever slot you plug it in to, which most wont. Or that the card has a controller chip on it, and those cards are fucking expensive.

Based on the description this will not work with M key SSDs. You will need to find either a slower SSD, or a faster one that supports B+M key.

I tend to agree here. When you buy a new laptop, you're gonna want to latest hotness, which will be better than what you buy now.

What are you going to store on that drive anyway? OS and programs? You're gonna reinstall from scratch anyways.

If your SSD is SATA then it's great, but it wouldn't work with NVME

Actually that is the only issue I have with this setup. I would want my next laptop to run on an NVMe SSD.

ITT retards that fell for NVMeme.

Source on this?

M.2 drives are Slick, yes but spending 60$ and a few hours of Your time Just to make windows boot faster Makes sense only if You have a Need for it.
SSD's in my opinion fairly worthless in my opinion when they are Smaller than 180 gigs or so.

Ok Yhe, lets say You bought a computer m.2 booted it up and the works, the first time You say WOW!!! Whoa!.....and that's pretty much it for Very small SSD's

Your opinion is worthless.