/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/warner/magic-wormhole
windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wheres the second rule??

Does Henry know what he's talking about?

I just need a basic HDMI "Switcher" so I don't have to unplug my Bluray and chromecast's respective HDMI cords everytime I want to switch between them because my tv doesn't have enough ports

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Whatsapp recently. The Google Drive backup is set to daily, but there were multiple image files and documents that were shared in the Whatsapp chat that were not restored upon reinstallation. I can see them, but they're blurred out and I can't download them because they're "not found on the phone's internal storage".

The app stated that the backup was from the phone's internal storage and they didn't need to be downloaded.

So how do I restore the Whatsapp backup on the Google Drive and not just the backup on the phone's internal storage?

Win10 keeps shutting down and says memory management problem. What do?

Test

yes he's right. also the one he linked strips HDCP but it will still work

fucking based
this actually

Another Test

>"never reveal everything you know"
you dumbass

hooked

checked

>baiting on /g
back to Sup Forums kiddo

Is it possible to make in Linux a way that if you input a certain password in the login, then you access an alternate profile? How about inputting a password and then the entire computer starts deleting itself?

kys pedo

you could modify the source code of your display manager to do both of those

any directions where to find out how to do it?

find out what language your DM is written in, and learn enough to make the necessary changes, or submit a feature request to see if the devs want to add such a feature proper

What's a display manager btw?

a graphical login screen

My Windows 10 just started fucking up recently. Didn't perform any changes (maybe a win. update automatically, but can't access that panel now). Menubar doesn't work, Internet doesn't work, very few programs will open, and if they do, they run with errors.

But in safemode, everything works completely fine.

Got adviced to run an USB/CD with Windows on it to fix it from there, but it'll take a long time with my internet speed atm to download it.

Any suggestions what to do before the above suggested method? Have also tried to disable all start-up programs.

okay got it.
follow up question,
how do I rig my computer to physically destroy my hard drive once I input the deletion password without it being legally recognized as a bomb?

Just use two profiles,it's not about your DM, it's about how linux is designed. Surely you can tweak using PAM, but it won't lead you anywhere usable.
To nuke, just use a simple script asking for a password, then wiping the hdd.
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
echo "run as root" 1>&2
exit 1
fi

for n in `seq 7`; do dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=8b conv=notrunc; done

What is the best language to make scripts/bots? Im using python.

Anyone with Gfiber here having issues getting content that goes through Akami CDN? I never get speeds over 14mb/s when downloading through Akami CDN (usually through origin or steam). I fucking hate how I have so little control over the gfiber network box too, but thats another issue for another day, I'm gonna have to put up a pfsense box at some point.

powershell or python

Antivirus scan first, then
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow

Did both, no luck.

try in safe mode, if the problem persists, install debian

i guess you could do something like rig up a microcontroller, a relay, and a transformer to programmatically send a high voltage pulse into an ssd, which would fry it good
a hdd isn't quite as simple, as wrecking the circuit doesn't make the platters unrecoverable, you need to physically destroy them
maybe you could do something with a power drill? glass-platter disks would shatter if you drilled through them, which will do the job

or just use good encryption and perhaps do something to kill the ram instead (which is where keys are held while encrypted volumes are open)

Sounds like a malware to me, so try rkill. Else it would mean something broke due to an update... If everything fails, backup and reinstall.

-- i wonder how effective i'd be to place some resistive wire over the top of ram/flash chips (as in literally cook them)
would be a fire hazard when used, but won't be recognized as a bomb

My CPU started going to 100% for nothing suddenly. I restarted and issue still persists.
How can I at least see what is leeching the CPU percentage?

Nice damage control do you work for Intel?

task manager

Is Sup Forums safe now or is gook moot still trying to do something funky with the ads? Is ublock enough to browse here

task manager -> more details -> sort by cpu usage
or htop under nix, but I guess you're running windows

Pretending to be retarded is not revealing everything you know.

Any direct file sharing software out there?
TheUniformServer - it's shit
Rejetto HFS - I don't think it's safe anymore

github.com/warner/magic-wormhole

can anyone explain the programming socks meme

is it just trap shit

I'm trying to make 3 image files into a pdf because a professor requires handwritten work to be scanned as a pdf. How can I do this with windows 8.1

Hi guys, I have one:

Considering an NoSQL cluster with replicate factor of 5 and consistency level of QUORUM, how many nodes would it take to respond in order to call the operation a success?

Why are some parentheses left blank? For example in
print(whatever.lower())
I see this a lot and dont understand it. What is it calling if theres nothing there?

Where is the "more details" option
task manager doesn't show how individual processes steal from the CPU. It only shoes global CPU usage (and it's 100% on my PC).

What are you doing on g?

mentally ill memes, nothing more

weird question, but Is there such thing as an in-browser site/service that allows me to play remote video files as a playlist? e.g. I have a list of direct URLs like:
site.com/thing.mp4
fuck.com/otherthing.webm

and I want to play them one after the other. I'm sure there are programs that can do this but I specifically want to know if it can be done in-browser

Thanks for confirming Henry's validity.
So any product that says HDCP pass through is what I need?

Put them into a Word document and "print" them into a pdf

Nah they're gone.
Unless you have the saved folders of images and videos, you've backed up your messages via drive and that's all you'll get. Best bet is to ask those who you've shared those videos with and ask to resend. (best way to do is probably 'requote' those specific blurred out msgs and ask them to send it back).

I'm tired of the performance of my actual PC.
I wanna format my whole drive and clean install W10. For sake.

Which Windows 10 version should i get? I use PRO currently.

My specs:
Phenom II X4 955
GTX 650 1 GB SHIT EDITION
4 GB RAM

LTSB is the only option

>inb4 Enterprise LTSB

No, i'm not up for that

Why don't package managers use rsync?
pacman -Syu
point update to chromium
downloads 45MB
actual change is removed SSL CA
wtf?
If I have the previous version, why can't pacman keep the tarball around and rsync against it later to pull down diffs?
try to trick it and put rsync:// in the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
curl doesn't the rsync protocol

Sorry your bandwidth cap is expired again
Try not patching so much
);

Hey Sup Forums, what is a good, free resume editor? I made one on a site that helped me build one forever ago but now I need to edit it, and I dont want to spend any money. Thank you

do you have an ssd?

I do not, unfortunatelly. Next PC coming out black friday this year. Money funding till there. Give me options, i'm lost.

How to connect to a Wifi that needs some CA Authority bullshit?
People with an iphone just get the option of accepting some certificate and don't have to fill in anything, whereas on android you must fill in something about identity and shiet. I have no idea what it is.

Look up notepad, its pretty good. Free too.

How to find onion links for forums and imageboards?

My keyboard has a key which puts the machine into hibernate mode. What is the easiest way to disable this one individual key? I keep accidentally hitting it.

That would be relatively easy if you use a full tower case with enough room. Just rig a solenoid to the trigger of a powder-actuated nail gun (you could cut off nonessential parts of the nail gun) and make a firmly attached metal clamp holding your drive so the nail will shatter the platters. Test on a junk drive. Use a spinner for this as they are easy to destroy. A nail gun will drive a hardened nail through at least 3/16" steel. I've shot many through that thickness.

Instead of the password I'd use a proper switch guarded against accidental triggering. Those look nice on gaymen boxes. It will make a brief noise but isn't remotely bomblike. No one is getting shit for data from powdered glass platters.

Software is fun but destroy the hardware it lives on and you win. If the Jewluminati cut power to your home you will only be able to use battery backups. A battery, switch, noid and nail gun can run independent of shore power.

Mount the drive externally with your gun rig in an innocent wooden box (people don't think of wood as holding computer parts) and you can skip all dd bullshit and shoot it dead on the spot.

No nail gun in kneegrowstan? Mount spinner externally to a steel plate and keep a ball pein hammer handy. One shot to the platters and its done. Bonus for a pick instead of hammer if you have one.

If want best concealment, gut a common smartphone power brick for the case and insert a USB flash drive with an encrypted container. It won't power a phone because you removed the transformer so anyone trying to use it for that will discard it. Choose a file format phones cannot read.

Silicone is tough. I wouldn't trust the method without testing it and of course it would stink.

I block the ads at the hosts file. Why let them through to your browser?

if you get a new computer, do you have to rebuy windows 10?

It's easy to get and install. Try it in a VM which is best way to add an OS, then install if like.

It's free and worth using. Otherwise use Pro since you already have it.

I haven't bought Windows since it came with my new eMachines Celeron 400. There's no point. Download a clean .iso (easy) and use a proven activator. You really should study how to pirate if you use Windows. Forget whatever preconceptions you have then visit the My Digital Life forums. I'm not typing a wall of text for what you can find easily.

thanks for the answer. ive honestly never pirated anything, never had to, was just wondering if that was the only way. i dont know shit about computers, didnt know if you could save it from one hard drive to a new one and just go with that without a new activation key

Inquiring frogposters want to know.

The point is actually the performance i will get with both systems. I need something that doesn't lead me to force restart the PC everytime i open Discord, Overwatch and Spotify at the same time. It's ridiculous.

Key is paired to the mobo. You can often transfer it by using the system for replacing broken mobos.

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

thanks, explains everything i was wondering

I just bought a steel series rival 100 for 30 dollars new.

Good deal, or could I have done better? I'm not looking for anything spectacular, I just hope I didn't get ripped off.

I get frequent ethernet disconnects, and I tried pretty much every suggested fix between updating the network driver and the ipconfig commands. The disconnects seem to happen with only this system, as all the other computers in my house work fine. Is it possible that getting a dedicated network card would make a difference? ...Though I didn't get disconnects when I used it in my college dorm, so I don't think my motherboard is broken either.

What should I do with four old (Athlon64 era) CPU/Mobo combos? Kind of want to put them on a board and hang them on my wall.

> Be me
> Avoid osx updates due to declining software quality.
> Update mac to 10.12.
> Instead of hibernating, it now shits itself.

Wat do?

have you tried being someone else?

Reset SMC and install Gentoo

thats the point

The real question you should ask is "Why do you only know two things?"

Already reset smc, nvram, reinstall, install templeos, tweak pmset parameters, delete 3rd party kexts.

every night it reboots and i hear that fucking boot noise.

How do you transfer all of your WhatsApp messages directly over to a new phone?
Without losing the time, date, contacts and pictures?

anyone have experience overclocking with ryzen master? just finished a ryzen 5 rig, asrock x370 taichi mobo. went into the bios to look around before i started an overclock, but there is a lot of unfamiliar things in here. a lot more stuff than my AM3 FX BIOS; feelin a little lost.
i have no idea what this cbs/pbs stuff is and cant seem to find a straight forwards way to simply raise cpu multiplier and set voltage to purely manual.
tl;dr: is it ok to overclock purely with ryzen master? any info on the pbs/cbs whatever stuff is in my BIOS? i know that using software to overclock is usually a no-no, just wondering if maybe this is an exception to the rule since its software directly from AMD. sorry for wall of text

how do I move a video file from an ipad to a NAS? I don't know shit about apple stuff and I can't for the life of me figure this out

Lately I've been using my desktop PC remotely more and more (streaming content directly to my TV or phone when I'm in bed with plex, automating my downloads from private trackers) since I gave up gaming and installed a linux distribution, so I've been thinking of moving it from my desk entirely and relocating it somewhere else as a server to save some space, my questions are what is the most stable server distribution, I head debian is the most stable is that true?, And are chromebooks good enough devices to shitpost comfortably and remote into a server for compilation? Keyboard isn't a concern as I'm still going to use my nice mech keyboard when coding for long periods.

So we can't use catpcha legacy anymore, right?

nope, disabled on Sup Forums, and it's due to actually die altogether pretty soon anyway

I got a cheap pentium (g860), what's a cheap passive cooler for it? I have a 212 form y main pc, but I have an i5 4460, so I guess I could swap the intel's cooler and use the 212 passive. If so, how do I tell the motherboard it's using a passive cooler?

is there a proven safe way to activate windows 10? besides buying a legit key i mean. i dont have any windows key. ive heard there are several programs and stuff to activate win10; kmspico or something, but are people certain there is no malware contained within these activation programs?

>ryzen 5
>x370
like, you could get a b350 and a 1700 with the money you save from the motherboard, and use the AMD's cooler.
But whatever, try to go as low voltage as possible, like 1.3 is fine, and try a lot of times, every chip is a lottery, you probably won't go over 3.9 if stock cooler, and even so, you will probably get high temps.
Yes, AMD's software is ok, I used to configure a friend's PC with the motherboard settings and I messed it up with high temps, but using the software fixed it. If you know a bit about overclocking, go and try directly with the motherboard, if not, then follow any tutorial on jewtube using the software, it will be mostly fine.

What's the best OCR/Translation program for foreign language PDFs, besides Google Drive which only does 9 pages max?

>2. Ignore points number 1

I think I physically damaged my sd card, it's supposed to be 125gb but only shows up as 4gb and gparted wont even read it

Any ideas?

Any idea why this new captcha only works on Google Chrome? I can't use it on Opera: the "I am not a robot" option never appears, and yes, I have updated my Opera. And with Opera I have a lot problems with the fucking images: I select them and then just dissapears the little squares.

>If you know a bit about overclocking, go and try directly with the motherboard
i guess i kinda do? i spent 6 months tinkering with my FX overclock getting it stable, so i was very comfortable with those settings. thet taichi BIOS just dont seem as straight forward, but i guess i should be looking up guides on what all this stuff is that i dont recognize.
about getting a B350 and 1700; i specifically wanted a 6core/12thread cpu and the X model for better binning. 8 cores is overkill for what i need. i wanted the taichi cause ive heard great things about it, quality vrms and 12+4 power phase.
my old mobo didnt have the best vrms and 6+4 power phase. in the end, it ended up really limiting how much i could OC my FX chip. the VRMs got way too hot, even with a fan pointing on them. i didnt want that to happen with my new rig so i paid a premium for the taichi.

anyway thanks for the response. i think maybe ill use ryzen master to find the sweet spot then try to apply those settings in the BIOS. does that sound like a good idea?

I need a dictionary-like list in python that lets me search for every key that matches a regex (e.g. search("ch") -> {'Sup Forums', '8ch', 'krautchan', '2ch'}), what could I use?

thread I was looking for. Linux noob here with really stupid question.

In Windows, there is no title bar in firefox by default (can be modified in about:config). In Linux Mint (Cinnamon), Firefox has title bar and modifying said config does nothing (title bar stays). In Pop!_OS (Gnome) - no title bar in firefox.

So, does title bar on/off switching (more precisely, I think it is actually movign tabs to title bar, not removing it) have to be supported by DE?

have you tried pressing alt? that restores the menu bar(is that what you mean?) in win7/win10. i forget if it does so on linux

I made some vectors in Illustrator and the SVG is fine everywhere but in LibreOffice Draw, anyone know what could be the issue?