The absolute state of GNOME

Other urls found in this thread:

kver.wordpress.com/tag/dwd/
youtu.be/6n3pFFPSlW4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A whiner put in his place. I love it. Such a rare thing these days.

Gnome is the official GNU/Linux desktop. You can't change that OP.

gnome is the cancer killing linux
it should have been nuked to oblivion after 3 but somehow people kept it on life support via extensions

/thread

>Gnome is the official GNU/Linux desktop.

This is not supposed to sound nice but I hope his loved ones suicide.

>This is not supposed to sound nice but
This is the new Sup Forums meme now.

perhaps people of this temperament should reconsider working on large scale collaborative projects

>perhaps people being this delusional should consider suicide
ftfy

I feel like I could've written this sometime ago and forgot. I don't think anyone really understands what it's like to really care about your codebase and then have a bunch of bikeshedding morons come in and try to start "discussion" or "well we could use discord to help!" It's the dumbest shit I've ever seen and a waste of time.

I don't even have to keep reading after "Stop doing shit that doesn't matter (like whining on reddit)," I already know what's gonna follow and know this plebbitor is in the right. Code """collaboration""" was a mistake.

>Stealing memes from Reddit.

>Talking about creating systemd and pulseaudio as if that was a good thing.
>Acting like gnome actually had a hand in that and it wasn't just red hat

This is Byuu levels of autism and delusions of grandeur

This is not supposed to sound nice but you probably mean reycling.
Also, you have to admit it's not better the other way around.

>GNOME people don't run any KDE apps
Because Krita, Kdenlive and KDEConnect ain't real.

Gnome is essentially developed by Red Hat.

ITT: anons don't want to work, but want FOSS devs to please them

That doesn't mean GNOME is a better product than KDE or Xfce though.

Fucking this

No, I want FOSS devs - these very specific FOSS devs, to be precise - to do the exact opposite and stop doing ANY work. Gnome, systemd, and all this other bullshit is actively hurting Linux and should not exist.

No lmao, Gnome is a leakier than a twink geriatric, but the point is still legit.

Nonono, we don't want FOSS devs to please us, we want gnome """devs""" to fuck off, stop ruining software and kill themselves.
It's not like working is possible with gnome.

>The linux desktop
top kek gnome is a cancer

On who's part? Both sides sound kinda cunty here, and desu, I wouldn't want some random plebbiteure telling me what to do, either. Go to Microsoft or Apple, or pretty much any other group of software devs, and you'd be damned lucky to get a response, negative or positive. GNOME is free software, not a democracy.

ITT: People getting worked up about shit they don't even use.

>systemd, d-bus, pulseaudio, networkmanager, flatpak, meson are all results of Gnome people
He says it like it's something good, lmao.

You have to give this guy some credit though. At least this Gnome dev actually knows the names of some other DEs, unlike that other Gnome dev.
>I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

This. kek

There's a reason why Gnome has become a cancer.

They've already been cancer years before that.

Quick rundown. They move Qt to server side or what?

I use wayland and I don't like the path it's taking.

>short on money because their outreach program for women
top lel

Gnome is pretty bad, but KDE really needs to make progress with DWD

>Gnome is pretty bad, but KDE really needs to make progress with Darkwing Duck

>DWD
kver.wordpress.com/tag/dwd/

>kver.wordpress.com/tag/dwd/
Looks amazing. I hope it will be a thing.

I just want Red Hat to stop trying to please me.
Wait, no, it's too late now. I switched to Windows five years ago and have never looked back.

>d-bus
dropped

Fucking canucks.

>Unix/POSIX/XWin faggots somehow made the mistake of separating GUI widgetsets and window decoration in the first place.
Just another reason why they should not laugh too loud over win32 being miserable.
t. Lincucks user

The state of Gnome.

I don't see the problem with that pic. Some whining Redditor that doesn't contribute and wants other people to work on features he cares about for free got told to fuck off. Seems like a fair response.

Ok, Linux is fucked, Red Hat are the overlords now. Is there any chance BSDs can become not shit?

So they just go around removing features for updates?

tfw you actually like gnome 3

i don't see what the problem is

They've been doing that for a decade.

you can turn them on using the gnome tweak tool. are people really this retarded?

RedHat is the Microsoft of the Linux ecosystem
systemd? redhat
systemd on debian? gnome
systemd on ubuntu? gnome
gnome? redhat
fedora? redhat
pulseaudio? redhat
dbus? redhat
kdbus trojan attempts? redhat

can't argue that some good shit has been produced by the lads (libvirt/kvm), but that doesn't really compensate for them Windowsifying the Linux situation

All the manpower these fucks put into KVM should have gone into Xen though.

youtu.be/6n3pFFPSlW4
youve been gnomed.wmv

People like this are the reason why people are abandoning gnome and gtk like crazy

In general I'd agree, but in this case I think that'd have some heavy downsides.
Does Xen do HVM already?
Also, monocultures are usually a bad idea, and a juicy security target such as a hypervisor even more so.

He's right.
Every retard using linux thinks that the people writing the code and doing the actual work owe him something for using their software.

>Red Hat makes money on linux
>builds its own ecosystem of tools
>shit gets adopted due to actually having some semblance of support
>poorfag neets can't compete writing garbage alternatives that they drop on a whim

gee color me surprised. No wonder Debian is taking a beating from CentOS and all freetard shit gets pushed in by Red Corporate system on a Dick.

At this point Red Hat is Linux

>Every retard using linux thinks that the people writing the code and doing the actual work owe him something for using their software.
writing the code != promoting garbage code and suppressing better solutions

Red Hat is the most pajeet of them all

No that's the point, the underlying code is being removed 3.28. So that option will be gone.

>Debian is taking a beating from CentOS
not sure about that one, but can't argue with the realpolitik of the rest of yo post
de facto monopolists gon monopol
suse needs to get its shit together to switch the situation up to oligopoly, but fat chance of that happening with US's larger IT job/project market (speaking as a yropoor)

>And CSD better be supported everywhere, because CSD is the default and only mathod guaranteed to exist in Wayland.

Oh boy, I love Linux so much choice, isn't it?

I mean you can choose between systemd and.. no wait half of things will break if you choose the other ones.

Well at least you can choose between GNOME... no wait half of things will look like shit if you do that.

So much freedom and choice Linux faggots have, as a Windows user I am so jelly, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IT is you fucking imbecile, are you seriously debating that?

Thank the "linux is too fragmented" memesters pushing crap like systemd.
Now it's more fragmented than ever.

Your taste

>writing the code != promoting garbage code and suppressing better solutions
Unless he's planning to do the work, he should shut up.
Asking for features that require hundreds of hours writing code and testing while knowing nothing about the code base and the actual technical problems that your idea introduces isn't reasonable.
The only logical response to something like that is "fuck off".

no window list

centered clock with 60% of the panel left blank

that menu looks like a tooltip ballooning from the word 'Applications', but the downward facing triangle indicates that it should be a drop-down context menu

toolbar, menubar, and titlebar merged in a way that doesn't provide consistent controls for the client window or the application

all buttons are poorly designed flat symbolic symbol

Linux is a kernel. It works fine without Gnome.

Yes, retard. Just because noobuntu users and redhat fags use it doesn't mean anything.

Red hat controls everything above the kernel, and Linus won't be with us forever either.

Never thought I'd say that but now I miss unity.
Barely ever used it but at least it sucked up Gnome's userbase.

I'm not disagreein in this case, it's more a general appeal for responsibility for the garbage gnome unleashes on the world.

absolutely this. The mainline BSDs (and illumos, being the last mainstream UNIX variant, also free software) are pretty spartan, downstream you have usable desktop/userland/etc.
>The base system is consistent across distributions, making any number of BSD or UNIX distros easy to support ("just run this shell script")
There is nothing like this in Linux unless you pretty much leave the factory default settings.
Unless preconfigured from a custom image developed internally, no two Linux systems are the same, leading to the fragmented shitshow that is GNU/Linux.

Everything you complained about can be fixed with extensions or by you if you know Javascript or C.

And a week later gnome updates and breaks your extension.

>verything you complained about can be fixed with extensions

Seriously nigger?

It's fucking 2018 who the fuck do you think you are fooling with your "you can fix GNOME with extensions" stuff?

>We are waiting for you user.

but projects like xfce and mate already provide sane desktops that make use of gtk3

Isn't GNOME part of The GNU Project though? GNU/Linux implies you're running "The GNU operating system", which uses GNOME aka "The official Linux desktop". You can certainly run Linux without GNOME, but GNU/Linux suggests you're using it.

>the garbage gnome unleashes on the world
You mean the most stable and consistent DE?
They did amazing work to integrate Javascript so plebs could write extensions, and adding a CSS engine so plebs cloud easily theme their desktop, also the fast Wayland integration.
Giving you full control of your desktop and not cluttering it with endless check boxes and option menus is an achievement.
Every release it only gets better.
And it's written in C and not some non standard C++\QT abomination.
>bbbut i want to watch animu while my matrix program runs in the terminal with a transparent background

The extensions were breaking because the API wasn't finalized.
Same goes for the themes.

Unity was actually pretty good. It was certainly a lot better than Gnome. And they actually introduced some unique killer features, like the integrated titlebar menus, and the HUD menu search (great for keyboard users). Too bad most people are retards and never understood these features. Even now most people just think of the dash whenever "HUD" is mentioned.

>And it's written in C and not some non standard C++\QT abomination.
C++ beats that that bolted on abomniation that is GObject.

They're going to start breaking their shit even faster with gun4+

>DE

lul why? Ive been working with linux daily for a decade professionaly and the only time I used some DE was during RHCSE exam where it was a part of some stupid task

use a proper OS that is actually meant for desktop please

because why support code for useless features when the community can handle it?

The community that Gnome keeps fucking over?

Because your piece of shit requires more resources than any other DE, can't do anything without extensions and actively tries to get rid of what's left

lol

I liked Gnome 1 and early 2.x. the 3.0 experience is nothing I've seen in my entire life
>need to run Fedora from LiveCD for a few emergency tasks
>one screen update every 15 seconds
>Core2DuoE8500
>GeForce gt730
Never again. I'm going back to UNIX

Standard C++ yes
Not the QT meta objects and non standard macros hell

Pic related

no shit
that's why it's called gun4+ and not gun3.28

>let's make kde apps look like gnome because fuck you
I hope this meme doesn't infect the qt world

If it's any consolation, meta-objects are being considered for C++20
>not sure whether i'll use them anyway

>Giving you full control of your desktop

If you're not willing to collaborate or listen to user feedback then maybe you shouldn't be working on an open source project.