Best DE/WM for GNU/Linux thread

>Gnome 3+
Mines bitcoins or calculates proteins... Otherwise I can't describe 30% CPU load and 1 GiB of RAM in idle. Interface is shit. Apps are not sorted... At least it doen't tear on my machine.
>KDE
Simply a bloatware, but at least it doesn't mine bitcoins. (0% CPU, 450 MiB). Interface is OK, not that stable, but acceptable. Doesn't tear on my machine.
>XFCE
Not a bloatware (0% CPU, 300 MiB), good interface, but fucking tearing. Compton, compiz don't help... With KWin is is a bloatware automatically.
>LXDE
The same as XFCE, but slightly lighter
>IceWM
The lightest thing I've tried. (0%, 180 MiB), even didn't teared... But man, it is boring.

Is there any good DE, that doesn't tear on Intel, and are not bloatware?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ccniJHjo_Uw
youtube.com/watch?v=MFd0FDv3fQc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System_core_protocol
github.com/michaelforney/velox
github.com/Cloudef/orbment
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WindowMaker

>GiB
Just get a mac already.

I like XFCE personally, but anything is fine provided it's not fucking Unity.

>180MiB idle ram usage with IceWM
how?

I have already. As you can see I don't like Mac OS
Bloated distro simply.

What about cinnamon?

>But man, it is boring
Do you need more?

It's shit.

install FVWM

No
By the way, I want to fell for LFS meme, and there I guess all DEs will use less memory.
Looks comfy

>Xfce
embrace tearing or use forcefullcompositionpipeline with nvidia. I myself embrace the tear. Compiz is another option that works well but is kinda bloatware.

I use kde, you can disable a lot if you don't need certain things.
Obviously not everything can be disabled individually as kde share code to make things more efficient.
Kwin is pretty good if you want to avoid screen tearing.
Krunner uses more memory than some launchers, but I estimate about 1/50 the time other launchers.
I personally don't use plasma widgets, I find that part buggy too.
I have not personally experienced kwin crashing in a long time, but there was a lot of bugs around the switch to 5.0.

Budgie?

By the way, what exactly causes tearing?

nvidia tells people to implement it differently and xfce devs dont give a fuck from what i understand. They are right though, most other drivers handle vsync properly without forcing it globally, so you can forec vsync on fullscreen apps without any quirks.
If you force vsync off in xfce you can enable it on opengl apps (and video players) and have vsync on media that needs it and not have it on desktop because its worthless there anyway.

using a compositor that isn't vsync'd and doesn't unredirect things that would otherwise vsync
i personally don't use a compositor (you don't need a compositor for accelerated programs like video players and games to vsync)

and if you asked about what causes tearing generally, its that the gpu processes frames at its own rate, and the monitor displays them at its own rate, and you need vsync to synchronize frame time (and drop excess frames) between the gpu and monitor. It can be caused by incorrect timing between render/display or by having multiple frames rendered in time of one monitor refresh

>xfce devs dont give a fuck
Yep. Latest XFCE was made I think in 2016.
The problem is in the xfwm4, it is old and needs to be modified, because it works fine on older stuff (like Sandy Bridge).
Okay.
The problem is firefox (and chrome by the way) scroll in very trippy way... I'd not give a fuck about tearing if not this shit.
Turning on v-sync in compozitor makes trippy effect go diagonal.

turn off smooth scrolling, it helps. If you use intel igpu, adding Option "TearFree" "true" to xorg.conf may help, read the arch guide.

pic related, firefox without using a compositor (as you can tell from the lack of transparency on the autoscroll icon)

>turn off smooth scrolling, it helps.
But videos are tearing as well.
>adding Option "TearFree" "true" to xorg.conf may help
Doesn't work on Haswell, but works fine on Sandy Bridge.
You lost the pic

forgot webm

i don't normally use ff, so this is a blank profile, i've only enabled two options, force acceleration, and enable autoscroll

does using compton help? check multiple --backend and --vsync options. (compton doesnt do shit with nvidia but it may help with intel)

recording screen wont work, since you record your gpu output and the tearing happens on the monitor user.

With Intel HD5000 it doesn't work. On Intel HD2500 - stock works fine.
KWin works fine on both.

XFCE3

I need to know what is in OP's pic

A Screenshot.

>kwin works fine but compton does not
debly goncerned, have you tried using mate with mutter? ubuntu mate offers this option, but you have to sudo apt get install mutter manually.

I think mate is okay, but man that load of shit instead of a consistent look you get when all the programs use different widget toolkits, gtk 3 4 5 qt 9 53.

No, I didn't tried mate.

its a more featureful (or clusterfucked) DE, a little heavier than xfce and has some quirks but with ubuntu it offers a simple gui that allows you to use a compositor of choice (and is still much much lighter than kde/gnome3).
New (gtk3 version) allows you to choose mutter as the compositor, so you get gnome-tier vsync but less wasted space and pc oriented layout and menus.
I however get mouse click delay and it ruins it for me, but this may be an nvidia thing.
Good luck user.

Try TDE

i3wm

I've just realised, that I wasn't using the newest version of xfwm.
I was using 4.12.something, and new one (requires assembling) is 4.13.
And they promise, that they've fixed tearing.

So, I guess, I have to install XFCE again (or xubuntu) on a flashdrive and test the shit.

Xfce and KDE are the only DEs worth using. Guh-nome is for literal brainlets and fags.

what about openbox guys cmon

I agree.
Gnome is for homes. They had excellent Gnome 2... And they made a fagOS from it

Gnome 3 is shite that needs tons of single threaded extensions that slows it down and makes it crash more easy

Everything, but Gnome.

>no panel

openbox + tint2 is a common combination

tint2 is a buggy mess that relies on .desktop files and can't handle right-click menus

i don't use it's launcher, i have dmenu for that
i just have it for a window list, tray, and clock

Ratpoison for tiling wm has all I ever want ootb, no need to configure shit, or MWM (or Motif Window Manager) if I ever feel nostalgic.

Install LXQt.

sway is the Next Big Thing.
it's not perfect and probably won't ever be, but by being the first semi-popular wayland wm and actually developing a reusable backend (wl roots), they're really gonna get wayland going finally.

user what display drivers are you using? Make sure it is NOT the the Intel ones, they cause huge amounts of tearing. Try with modesetting.

What should I disable on KDE to get my memory a little lower?

Start by using a distro with a decent kde implementation like arch or opensuse

oh look, another esoteric whiteist sodomite sympathizer

I3 don't be a fag

>phoneposting
argument automatically invalidated

i3

What is the closest thing to the Haiku window manager?
youtube.com/watch?v=ccniJHjo_Uw

Notion, this?
youtube.com/watch?v=MFd0FDv3fQc
Post wallpaper, please.

xfce with the beos theme

Pantheon

The fact that a Windows 98 clone DE even exists shows the state of modern Linux DE's.

They're shit, all of them.

sad real sad
gnome3 is nice but too much ram (no it doesn't unload it, it starts to use swap instead, so it's wasted ram for the user) and nautilus moves(sorts) the file while loading a folder (which is very slow at too)

>The same as XFCE, but slightly lighter
Lies, LXDE is barely a DE at all. Unlike Xfce it does not have it's own configuration directory and settings, it just provides tools to make setting different settings easier. And pcmanfm is in no way the same as thunar.
in short LXDE is more of a WM than a DE like the rest

>The problem is firefox (and chrome by the way) scroll in very trippy way...
new firefox /since 57 i think/ does NOT tear - with or without smooth scroll, also compositors make smooth scroll crappy, try it in plain xorg wm like openbox or i3 without compton or anything and see how gorgeous it really is
>maybe relevant
mesa 17.3.3-1
xf86-video-ati 1:7.10.0-1
and fireofx from ftp.mozilla.org

>is barely a DE at all.
It also uses barely any RAM at all. I like XFCE but Lubuntu is way easier on garbage machines than Xubuntu

>tint2 is a buggy mess
no it isn't it's stable as fuck your distro package a shit

XFCE

/thread

BACK TO POL NAZI FUCK

> KDE (0% CPU, 450 MiB) = OMG BLOATWARE
> XFCE (0% CPU, 300 MiB) = OMG WHAT A LIGHTWEIGHT DE GAIZ

it doesn't work that way, you faggot. Just admit that KDE despite still being buggy AF went long way from being a bloatware. I remember XFCE using that amount of RAM OOB some years ago.
When they will fix their shit (or the nVidia jewish devs will stop being jews) KDE will be glorious.
> inb4 hurr durr KDE shill
I'm using i3, pic related

>nvidia tells people to implement it differently
Standards exist, and that bunch of jews are trying to say that """""they are the standard""""" because of the market dominance. Fuck nVidia in the ass with a 2m tall saguaro cactus so fucking much. Torvalds was right.

I switched my haswell laptop to use the iGPU all the time and nVidia for the gaymz only. It doesn't deserve to do any better task. Using a tweaked compton and enjoying it.

Speaking of compton: anyone outside of me using it, here? I configured it really fucking well, shit's smooth af, no screen tearing, but there's only one problem: sometimes while any terminal (or emacs/gvim/etc.) window refreshes it starts jittering. Like, all the text in it trembles. Anybody else ever encountered this problem?

>KDE
>Simply a bloatware
It's not. KDE = BEST DE BY FAR.

Use xmonad, all these other ones are bad because they have bars and buttons and stuff taking up space on your screen. Xmonad also lets you go fullscreen while still being windowed very nice.

pekwm + ROX

>compositors make smooth scroll crappy, try it in plain xorg wm like openbox or i3 without compton or anything
this

Xmonad devs hate Wayland so it's not future proof.

why do they hate it? I mean, wayland is """""sponsored""""" by RedHat so it'll go to shit pretty much soon, but what's their reason?

They hated the way it's programmed, so they wouldn't ever port it themselves.

Wayland is a protocol, not an implementation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System_core_protocol
don't sperg out on pointless arguments, user

They would still have to implement the protocol, wouldn't they?

Calm Window Manager

Yes but then the way it's programmed is their own way.

Jesus Christ, are you autistic?

>Is there any good DE, that doesn't tear on Intel, and are not bloatware?
Yes. Lumina.

Can someone explain the tearing meme to me?
I've used Linux with nvidia, ati, and intel gpus and I never head a problem with it.

I search quick and I found a couple wayland twm that seem similar to xmonad
github.com/michaelforney/velox
github.com/Cloudef/orbment

Xmonad still be fine for long but now there is backup plan.

I3 , break your mouse addiction faggots

>Mines bitcoins or calculates proteins... Otherwise I can't describe 30% CPU load and 1 GiB of RAM in idle. Interface is shit. Apps are not sorted... At least it doen't tear on my machine.
don't know what distro you're using, but default gnome on antergos is 0% cpu and like 400mb ram.

KDE is currently the best if your PC can handle it

dynamic tiling > manual tiling

Lol. I just use m8 and this work.

Its oke if you get rid of window bars and bottom bar. Break your gui addiction.
Also this.

Daily reminder XFCE doesn't tear if you literally set one option.

I3 brainlets watch BBT. What a surprise.

Nvidia GPUs tear when they are in power saving mode. That's about it.
Never had tearing problems with intel

I seriously thought that was Windows CE.

share your configs, very nice setup you got

It's pretty much all in the terminal output.

KDE

use
compton --backend=glx --vsync=drm
for tearfree xfce

i3wm

>rox
>amiga styling
Disgusting. Should be like superior RISC OS.

>two close buttons

Bloated as hell, and I'm still pissed that the move to V5 made me have to reinstall Arch after it broke everything.
Despite all that though, I agree - KDE. I was never able to get as close to a Windows look and feel with anything else, and I don't have time to fuck with config files for days to get a tiling manager working on its own.