/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>GNU GuixSD
gnu.org/software/guix/

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (netinst. only use if not using systemd scares you.)
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php/minimal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

WM ram comparison:

the absolute madman he actually made a new thread

"Why is there no Arch?":

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc. Apparently the vim package used to pull in X at one point. It also uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard. Debian, while using systemd, also has a more minimal kernel, and splits packages more, so it's kept around.

Despite its """minimal""" install state, Arch is actually very bloated.

Reposting autistic rant:

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

TL;DR: /minimalism/ is a very logical way of doing things, and provides a universal interface.

Yes I did! ^.^

So, after tinkering with Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE I realised, that those are bloated. And I decided to fell into auti... minimalistic GNU/Linux.
What distro is better for newbie? As I know, Arch has really good wiki, and I used it...
And also I have a hardware, that requires non-free drivers for wifi (the only way to connect to internet).

>What distro is better for newbie?
Debian
>And also I have a hardware, that requires non-free drivers for wifi
fuck.
Have you tried void? Maybe that will have it. I know they have a XFCE or LXQT installer if you're nooby enough to need a DE.

You can just add the .deb for your WiFi card in the firmware folder on the liveusb for Debian.

>Have you tried void?
No.
>fuck.
How to load them into installer? It is the only problem, because it is two packages.
Maybe. I will try to find deb packages for wifi, because I have only RPMs

Best native terminal for this?
Someone in the last thread said termite, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

post your /minimal/ desktops

Whoops. Didn't include it, because I saw it came with KDE. I didn't know about the pick and choose thing.
I'll put it in next time. This time I clarified the reason for debian being in here, and revised the arch thing.

>not including CRUX, the most suckless, minimal usable distro
I see that you're quite new to /glmg/ yourself.

sparkylinux is basically a debian net install after you're done setting up basic shit. Good for noobs, or people who went through the net install only to realize they were going to set up everything the same anyway. One gripe I have with it is that it's got synaptic and some other package management stuff by default. The repos are pretty good though, add nicely to debian's.

I got the lxqt version, but they have a lot of options like GNOME, KDE, MATE, Xfce, JWM, IceWM, enlightenment, and plain openbox.

sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php/minimal

>690 packages
Do you seriously depclean bdeps?

>I didn't know about the pick and choose thing.

Sadly Slackware suffers from that. People who just assume things and never bother to even grab the installer and see how things are, like the whole "no package management meme" when in reality is just automatic dependency resolution.

The true is that the Slackware installer allows you to do multiple things and one of them is choosing each individual package you want in your system. So you can go beyond a full install or selecting from big software series. I don't know if Linux is about choice but Slackware certainly offers you that.

no

Yeah, no dependency handling sounds like a bitch, but Slackware does sound like a nice /minimal/ distro. I'll be sure to add it next time, along with CRUX.

>create thread when the old one has mire than 100 posts before bumplimit
why

UwU

alpine reporting
i'm too lazy to install gentoo but it's on my bucket list to try