/pcbg/ - PC Building General

WIDE Edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Prices are unlikely to return to sane levels for several months; be prepared to either reduce capacity or spend more than you wanted to
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon) (but everything is fucked, really)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200g
amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-2400g
en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/coffee_lake#All_Coffee_Lake_Chips
pcpartpicker.com/list/TcfgTH
techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html
pcpartpicker.com/product/TsfmP6/msi-b350m-gaming-pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b350m-gaming-pro
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3941vs3917
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Qcn4tJ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/h6wfM8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Upcoming releases

AMD
February 12: Raven Ridge desktop (Ryzen with integrated GPU)
2200G: 4c/4t, 3.5GHz (base) 3.7GHz (boost), 8CU Vega @ 1100MHz, $99
Replace 1200
amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200g
2400G: 4c/8t, 3.6GHz (base) 3.9GHz (boost), 11CU Vega @ 1250MHz, $169
Replace 1400
amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-2400g
Note: Only 4MB L3$ because only one CCX

April: Pinnacle Ridge (12nm Zen+), X470 chipset
8 cores first?
10% higher clocks? Even higher boost (especially single core)?
Small IPC increase? Lower latencies? Better RAM compatibility?
Don't expect too much

Intel
Fill up Coffee Lake stack including dual cores
H310. B360 and H370 motherboards (cheaper than Z370, no OC)
ETA unknown - March/April/May
en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/coffee_lake#All_Coffee_Lake_Chips
Pic related

>>G4560/G4600

Thanks for putting that out there

>tfw just need my ram and my new PC will be build-ready

Thankfully Fedex delivers relatively early in the day here but FUCK.

Reminder prebuilts are the way to go now and will continue to be for the next 6+ months

NEVER (unless poor, then okay)

I'm looking to build my first one in the next several months (I've grown tired of paying for fucking xbox live and having to replace the whole system when one component in it fails)
Also, PC gaming seems to offer way more in terms of overall experience.
>Dat sticker price though
Total build is gong to run about $1600. Not including monitor, keyboard or mouse. Is it worth the price?

I don't know, can you play games on an invisible computer?

I really haven't looked at the price of monitors or keyboards yet.

user... all you said was $1600. How can we know it's worth it?

HELP! i5-8400 or R5 1600, will be used mostly for gaming. And are both of those "future-proof"? Will pair it with 1050ti.

WIDER

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock X370 Gaming X ATX AM4 motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDr4-3000 memory
Sandisk SSD Plus 480GB 2.5' hard drive
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB mini video card
Phanteks Eclipse P400 Mid tower case
EVGA 650SW 80+ Gold certified power supply.

Both will perform about the same with a 1050 Ti. If you get the 1600 you can upgrade to Zen 2 in 2019 / Zen 3 in 2020 on the same motherboard. With the i5-8400 your only choice is a used 8700k in the future. You can OC the 1600 to 3.9GHz easily too.

Get the 1600

i would take the r5 1600 since i'm currently running a 1700x with 1050ti but if purely gaming and you care about clock speed and such take the i5

Is it raven ridge or pinnacle ridge?

Raven Ridge: integrated graphics
Pinnacle Ridge: refresh of current desktop Ryzen, no integrated graphics

Raven Ridge: minor changes to current Ryzen, integrated graphics, already available on laptops

If you can find a 1070 then go for it.

Is there really a noticeable difference between a 1070 8GB and a 1060 6GB?

last thread 404 on me

pcpartpicker.com/list/TcfgTH

"budget" not playing current gen games. is any of this overkill compared to other parts? is any of this shit? i dont know anything about whats overpriced or gpus or anything really

I'd wait for X470 motherboards if I were you. Otherwise nothing too bad. 480GB might not be enough for a lot of games, though

techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html

Looks like about 30-40% difference.

Any particular reason for waiting on the X470? This entire process is new to me, and I've really only been looking into it for about 2 weeks now. Plus I figured I'd go with 480GB of storage and cut a corner on cost for a better GPU, since that's going to be the real butthole clencher when hitting "Buy now."

i'd say yes. the 1060 is usually used for 1080p at 60 fps while the 1070 is usually for 1440p at 60fps (depending on the game)

Just slap a 1TB HDD in there to go along with the SSD, should be like 50-60 bucks and will give you space for keeping a decent amount of games installed at one time.

New generation of graphic cards when

Are AMD pilots/software still as bad as they were compared to NVIDIA experience for gayming?
I remember they were pretty shitty with botnet level adware installed along the pilots, when NVIDIA was giving streamlined tools.
Did AMD improved on that?

No major reasons except "hey I can get something newer for the same price if I can wait a few weeks". Only if you want more USB ports, more M.2 slots and such. Possibly better compatibility with higher speed RAMs should you want to upgrade in the future.

I'm actually having to wait anyway for the build (workman's comp settlement is in the works currently, just waiting for the check in the mail) But I honestly don't know much about all this. So I appreciate the heads up.

Nvidia: maybe May with even higher MSRPs
AMD: no Vega refresh lol Wait for Navi™ in late 2019

Should I buy one of those Dell prebuilts from best buy? Some of them have 8700s and 1070s, others have 1700s with 580s.

I debated doing that until I saw most of them only had 8GB of RAM. I figured I'd just build my own and drop it whatever the fuck want. It's a big purchase, and I wanted to make sure I got the most out of it. I built my own AR15. I can build one of these.

Out of those, the 1600. Only real "future proof" Intel CPUs are the unlocked K series chips, unless you're intending on picking up an 8700K down the track. Even then if CPU swap upgrades are part of your upgrade path, then AMD has the common decency to allow more than one generation for a single chipset.

You can spend the time reading forums about that motherboard. See what the owners have to say. Nothing wrong with buying now of waiting for the X470. Might also get a smaller 240GB SSD and 1/2 TB HDD instead like said. For GPU, try getting it direct from Nvidia's website if you're in the US

I'm currently on the wait list (notify me when available) for Nvidia.

If you're really on a budget you can get this motherboard instead:
pcpartpicker.com/product/TsfmP6/msi-b350m-gaming-pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b350m-gaming-pro

I've got the paypal screen open on a Titan Xp. STOP ME

>$1200
DO IT.

dont think the price would be that much different considering the ram and psu that prebuilt comes with. rx 580s are literally overclocked rx 480s; theyre pretty power hungry

definitely an option, thanks for looking

FUCK, NO. I CAN'T. I need to focus on finding the perfect monitors first. By the time I decide that shit, the Volta Titan Xv or Xp or whatever will probably be out.

Shit my entire build I'm doing on JUST the PC itself and no monitor, keyboard, mouse etc is costin me $1600. I can't imagine what monstrosity would require a $1200 GPU.

4k 60/1440 144 would. I also run dual monitors so that's even more overhead.

Also you're spending more than I did on my first full DIY build. I think that was like 1300 or 1400 including a fancy IPS monitor and mouse in 2013.

Mine would only be around $1200 in full if not for the insane gpu prices.
God damned cryptoniggers.

Shit's always getting more expensive. We've had inflation, natural and industrial disasters, price fixing, cryptoniggers, and overall increased DRAM demand from everywhere shattering previous expectations. Look at how much $750 got me 4 and a half years ago, and compare that to now.

Should I wait for Ryzen+ motherboards to come out or can I buy anything AM4 now and be fully compatible?

You'll be fully compatible up to and including 2020 Ryzen CPUs, you'll just miss out on a couple new things like better VRM cooling, etc.

Wait. Normally they'd release a "rev 2.0" with the compatible BIOS already loaded

Don't listen to the shills, 8400 is a better cpu than the 1600.

With a 1080 Ti, sure. Not with 1050 Ti

do you think the price of gpus will really go down anytime soon? people keep saying dont buy cards, but what if they only keep going up for the foreseeable future

Mate - I had the same Problem. Best thing you can do for monitors is ordering them from amazon, testing them out and then returning them within the 30 days if they're shit. That's how I settled on a €900 27" 1400p 165Hz IPS main and 2 1080p Dell IPS secondary (and tertiary) monitors. Don't even game, but the image quality was so goddamn amazing.

It's all waiting for the snowflake that starts an avalanche right now. We know that new fabs are being built, but those won't be functional for a long time. We're really just waiting for crypto to crash again, AND for Volta to release. Both need to happen, preferable in the order I wrote them, for Volta to be reasonably priced after the initial craze that always happens. I'd get some shit like a Titan Xp right now if I had the appropriate monitor for it because I'd rather be enjoying the performance during those months, but since I just have 1080p 60hz, all that makes sense is to wait.

I'm probably gonna wait on the monitors for some holiday sale, maybe Easter if that's good.

Reminder that if you don't at least have a 1TB NVMe SSD your pc is shit

Can I trade in 2TB of 2.5" SSD space and 13TB of HDD space to make up for the remaining 512GB of NVMe SSD I'd need?

Toshiba or Hitachi?

You don't need a Titan for 1440 / 144 you fucking retard

>he plays well optimized games

Gee look at this SMART guy.

Member when baidu built their new servers with amd?

Hitachi

hello friends, can anyone tell me what a good price for a gtx 1070 is? and also what was the price pre crypto raid

If you use this new thing called "Google" and type in "gtx 1070" one of the first results should be Nvidia's own site listing its price. Isn't it amazing?

When are the AMD shills going to get over themselves yet?

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3941vs3917

>CPUs:
nice to see there are no intel cpu recommendations. Looks likes sanity has returned to Sup Forums

thanks user! was also looking for some input on what a good price would be, but that's fine :)))))

I'm scavenging some parts from my old parents desktop, what's the most nigger mini-itx case that fits a standard PSU? Found this on amazon for 29 eurodollars but I hoped to pay less than this.

>That pic
this is intels plan. segment the fuck out of their chips then flood the market with it so casuals don't know what the fuck to buy. But by judging from the sheer abundance of intel products they'll just assume it is the better option.
these crooks should be jailed

What would be an ideal build for a touchscreen Android x86 build, even for the most demanding games and apps?

I need to build many of these for a business I want to start, so cost and resource efficiency is a must.

>Reminder prebuilts are the way to go now and will continue to be for the next 6+ months
the pre-built just looks like a good option. But check who ever gave you the qoute and see how much he sells the parts individually. You'll find your price isn't much of a savings when you check the fonk kong psu and ram your given

>Total build is gong to run about $1600
show us your partpicker so we can see if your making the right decisions. $1600 is what you'd fork out for a high-end pc. if thats what your going for but it's not neccasrary. even a mid range is noticiably superior to console

glad to see so many people giving oyu the right advice.
the 1600 is the way to go

>cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3941vs3917
look at that shit multi-thread.
>implying single-thread isn't a thing of the past now
>implying intel doesn't stutter during gameplay whilst ryzen performs perfect smooth seemless gameplay
please just because you made a bad decision doesn't mean you must drag everyone else into that hole with you.

Probably prebuilt machines, because they have warranty and are already assembled.
If you pay less you get a lot less
Expect a box of metal with screw holes at that price

Don't forget that in their infinite kikery they've divided the Pentium and Celeron lines into two. Pentium Gold (Coffee Lake) and Silver (Goldmont Plus). Celeron (Coffee Lake) and Celeron (Goldmont Plus).

However I'd rather have more choices than none. That $20 price difference between each SKUs can mean a lot to third world countries like mine. Most of these will go to OEMs anyway.

How is it Intel's fault that the casuals don't know what the fuck to buy? If they're willingly letting themselves get fucked by Intel because they can't Google, they should be jailed themselves

>How is it Intel's fault that the casuals don't know what the fuck to buy? If they're willingly letting themselves get fucked by Intel because they can't Google, they should be jailed themselves
The only problem is that they give intel the power to fuck everyone else around

I was hoping that Intel wouldn't add even more locked chips into this generation. And we only really need one damn Pentium and Celeron each.
Still, /pcbg/ should be happy about the APUs.

I wanted to upgrade my glorious 2500 a 8th gen cpu. They're so expensive. And there little advantage, what should I do intel pajeets? Are cpu prices going to fall any time soon? Even 7 and 6th gen cpus are expensive here.

Where ya gpu at richfag

8th gen is actually the best value wise in a long while since Ivy Bridge. Thank AMD. No they're not going to fall any time soon. If you absolutely want Intel and can't afford 8th gen you will love waiting until H2 2019 for Ice Lake

>best value wise
That doesn't change that it's too expensive for me. New CPUs used to cost 1/4th of the price less.
>waiting until H2 2019 for
2500 still manages well, even with the patch. I'll just wait, maybe ms will release windows 11 or x meanwhile and I'll save on os upgrade.

>the best value wise in a long while since Ivy Bridge
>Ivy Bridge
>value
Ivy Bridge was shit for value. Same performance as Sandy, but runs hotter and uses paste for the heat spreader.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Qcn4tJ

How is this build for someone who just browse the web and has 3 monitors. Not that I'm gonna buy it or anything but I day dream about my main rig failing me and having to purchase a new computer to build. Sadly I own several so I can't justify buying another one ''just cuz''.

Yup meant to say Sandy, got mixed up

R3 1200 is superceded by R3 2200G which is cheaper and you can lose the RX 550 too. Why not and SSD instead?

ive been waiting for 6 fucking months for Volta to come out and now CES passed and Nvidia didnt say A WORD about the """new architecture"""

Am I waiting for nothing guyz ? Should I buy the 2015 3 years old gtx 1080 ? Should I keep waiting ?

And the stock cooler is more than good enough

allright, good point, there are indeed newer cpus coming out later in the year I guess but power wise you get what I mean right? I wouldn't need anything more powerful. But losing the GPU? How do I power up my three displays then (enlighten me/spoonfeed bby). Plus yeah the stock cooler is more than enough but I just like installing the 212 evo, I bought it for several build and its always fun to install that component in a PC.

Better to get a 2200G and use stock cooler and no video card
Also a cheaper motherboard and PSU and getting an SSD
Like this:
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/h6wfM8

wow, really liking your build there!

I would wait. Buying a 2 year old card doesn't make sense, unless it has a big discount.

Even if they do release the next one in May-ish, you, me, everybody knows it will be GTX 1180 - $699, Fuckers Edition - $799. Why? Because they can.
GTX 1080 was launched in May 2016 by the way

why not an SSD? simply because I think that paying 200$ for a hard drive is meh, the prices are too high imo. I have an SSD in one of my build and I didnt see a huge difference, yeah sure its super fast on startup but that's it (prove me otherwise I guess).

The FE cards are usually (see 1070 Ti) priced higher because NVIDIA competing with other card makers is bad business. They're only good if you like the design or other specific situations.
SSDs won't fail like some HDDs do. If you do buy a drive, at least get 2TB.

The 2200G has built in graphics. See Also,
>I just like installing the 212 evo
a-are you a masochist, user?

For first build and semi budget i would go with a good tower like fractal r5 good psus around 100 dolly and a r5 1600 and probly a better cooler like macho or below with this you get a solid base which you dont need to upgrade when ya buyin new gpus etc also u can get some practice with oc on the 1600 and dont listen to these intel shill Niggers the pqtch gets the recent cpus down to prev gen and much worse with the older gens but the biggest hit is that your iops on ssd go sucking dick

>SSDs won't fail like some HDDs do.
interesting, I haven't tought about durability and fiability... you make a good point friendo.

If you do get the 212 Evo you should at least use it to overclock, not because you like installing it.
Was that a sentence, or a manifesto?