Can you cut a micro sim down to a nano sim?

Can you cut a micro sim down to a nano sim?

Other urls found in this thread:

macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-to-cut-sim-card-nano-sim-for-iphone-ipad-3505896/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

Unironically, yes.

Not even trolling

yes, certain older micros sometimes are literally impossible to cut without damaging though

Yes, my local tech store has a machine exactly for that and they do it for free.

Yes, but not with scissors otherwise you'll just wreck it.
Use a scalpel.

Did it a few times with shitty scissors. Worked all the time.

In my country if you go to your carrier and ask for a smaller sim they will give you one free of charge. And if you fuck up the cut you will end up doing the same anyway. There are templates online.

When I wanted a microsim I just went and asked for one. I can pop out a nanosim form the microsim so I got myself covered there when I need one. It took 15 minutes for my old sim to get deactivated. I replaced my sim and I was back in business.

in my country they charge you out the ass for a new sim

just cut it though, scissors are fine

Sucks for you. Could be your carrier being niggerlicious.

No, that's illegal

OP here, thanks for the replies, I'll trim it and if that doesn't work I'll go see if I can trade it for a nano sim.

I'm gonna switch phone carriers soon anyway so if I fuck it up it won't really matter

Vodafone charges 10€ for swapping micro to nano, and you can't even use it for a couple of hours.

Just download a template. Print it out and use that.

They did it for free for me. I'm on Vodafone as well. They even sent me a text message that I can swap my 3G sim to a 4G one free of charge. They only asked for my phone number at the store. Not even my id. I'm on prepaid though.

If you are going from a bigger sim to a smaller one usually it should be free. Or just have freaking sim cards that have cuts for all 3 sizes. You guys are fucked in the head and doing everything backwards.

Plus for me it took 15 minutes. I know because I was checking my phone. That's how long it took after they scanned and put the sim details in their systems.

They sell a $5.99 tool on Amazon expressly for this purpose

Yes, any phone shop will do it for free using pic.

Yes I am currently using it.

OP here, it worked

Non-americans pls leave

All my phone stores do it for free. But yeah you can do it yourself.

I just own a micro sim but the plastic around is just just a jacket and it pops right out with a push of your thumb and turns into a nano sim.

Pretty useful for when I changed phones, and when I change again in the future. Because it pops right back in just fine and stays there. I have a few of those plastic jackets lying around too incase I lose one.

I went to one that fucking charged me for it REEE

>in my country they charge you out the ass for a new sim
>Alright, I'll check with your competitors

You can also get one for like 4 bucks online

Yes

What, they don't in the US? I was considering cutting mine but that wasn't to save money but rather out of laziness since I didn't have any other business at the mall that day

Americans get your shit straight.

Go to your own websites and cry about it

why the fuck was the 'standard' ever a thing if you could literally cut the entire thing except the actual gold plated part? it's literally like 80% worthless shit?

This website is japanese

Then continue cutting your sims like foreskins. If you are a stupid nigger then I cannot help. Do that or piss away money amerifag. Also stay on the worst carriers possible that throttle you and do stupid shit with your speeds.

You are welcome!

Go cry about it on your euro forum, sven, no one cares what yuropoors think

le 56% percent

Yes and it's nice. I have a simkit that lets me put the nano back into the micro exterior and I can use it in multiple phones. Is nice. Literally the only part of it thats required is the contacts.

yes but nano-sim is thinner so it might not fit unless you sand it down.

KYS.

That is mini sim actually.

>56 perent percent
lmao at non americans

Le vocal minorities

I thought all sim cards came precut for the three different sizes
At least here in my third world shithole they do

Because 10 years ago when it became the standard, that wasn't true.

If you've got an ancient sim card, that won't work.

because it ye olden times sim cards were made for real men and not toddler hands.

Werks on my machine.

I don't get 4g, only 3g, though.

in fact i did it for a iphone 5, use a rotring and a good scissors, its werks

one year later i change the iToddler for a chinkphone, smartest decission ever ;D

Maybe OP have an old one and is too lazy to order a new one

Yeah but don't forget to sand the non-chip side down a bit with fine sandpaper or an abrasive pad. In needs to be slightly thinner.

Modern ones, yes.

But some people keep their SIM card for decades.

I guess they thought it would be handy if you could keep them in your wallet like a credit card.
Maybe some people shared a single phone each with their own personal SIM?
Or maybe it's just to stop them from getting lost in the mail.

The people who come up with these standards have shockingly little imagination on how the future will look like.
To be honest the entire concept of using a SIM card is stupid, there are easier ways to connect a phone to an account.

>phonefags have to modify 1 of only 2 customizable parts they have just to make it fit in their device

What's the other customizable part?

storage

At&t gave me a new sim for free. It's still a pain to wait for the new one to arrive though.

Yes I've done it. Tracfone SIMs are $1 though, so even if I screw it up, I can get a cheap replacement.

Did this many times, ez af

Yeah, I did it with my phone because I was too lazy to get a new one and it works perfectly.

Very easily

It would have been free for me in burgerland too but honestly cutting it is just easier and faster than getting a new one.

not if you have a really old sim. the chip is bigger in them and it can barely be cut to micro sim

this. instead of doing it in a sane way they did it so that there are 3 different standards and phone manufacturers switch between them randomly.

Yes, did it a couple times. Cutting off some of the contacts is no problem as some don't have a use anymore. Print a cutting template, then draw lines on it with a pencil, then cut.

Yes, I did that.
You can even find templates to print to help you cut the sim right.

They asked me 15eurodollars for a fucking new sim.
To put things in perspective I payed the new phone requiring the cut just 80€ so that would have been almost 20% of what I paid the whole phone.
Fucking madness.

My microSIM had to be replaced with a newer nanoSIM, cutting it wouldn't cut it.

OP DO NOT FALL FOR THIS
These people are trying to get you to ruin your phone. They think it's funny to get people to do stuff like this, it's the same as the "speed up your Mac", "recharge your iPhone by microwaving it", or "bendable iPhone" shit. Putting in a cut SIM will short out and most likely PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR PHONE.

I work in a phone shop and we have machines that literally stamp out the new sim shape from the bigger one with sharp blades

Yeah. I did this.

Yeah sure buddy. And pic related was on Apple's site.

It’s true though. I really don’t understand why you think this isn’t possible.

For example macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-to-cut-sim-card-nano-sim-for-iphone-ipad-3505896/

Describes cutting them by hand. Granted, occasionally it won’t work but won’t wreck the phone.

The machines we have are just specifically designed to do it and I’ve not seen it fail yet.

Additional image of what the thingo looks like

Good joke

Over time the integrated circuits shrunk down incredibly small. At one point they actually took up an appreciable amount of the card

Autism, the post

its possible to do yourself but its hard to make it exactly right so it fits and does not break. i used a knife to cut it slowly and had to test it multiple times because there was always some barely visible plastic left that didnt fit in the sim slot. also this was regular sim to micro sim and it was barely possible. you cant make a regular sim a nano sim.

He is trolling you stupid shit

nigga my microsim is 2 years old. It doesn't have that shit. Nanos are relatively new in many places. I changed carrier 3 months ago and the new sim had the 3 sizes. Same shit happened when the switch from 2g to 3g happened, many people got fucked when switching

What kind of third world shithole do you live in?

oh i get it
he was /only pretending/ to be retarded

I live in the USA and they definitely replace SIM free of charge at any major carrier.

Yay

I never tried. Here when I needed to replace my sim for nano one because I got a new phone, local mobile provider just cut it in 50 sec using reliable tool without charge.

New sims cards in NZ cost like NZD$1-5 and are multicut, meaning you just add more of the plastic pieces for your required SIM size.

You can also just go into a phone store of your carrier and they'll switch it over to a new one for free, the new one also having that pre cut feature.

Yeah, I did it. I used scissors and sandpaper. It was actually pretty easy. Just cut everything around the metal connectors away and then just try and fit it into the slot using sandpaper. You can't ruin it, the actual chip is tiny in the middle of the connectors.

Successfully did it to mine twice, I've been using the same sim card for 10 years. Went from an OG standard size sim that was in my cheap chinese blackberry knockoff phone, then cut it down to micro when I got my Nexus 5, and cut it again to nano when I replaced it with a Pixel XL a few months ago. I was worried the nano cut was going to kill it since I had to cut away a small bit of the contact, but it still works perfectly fine.

it's actually illegal here too

That's inconvenient...
In my country, it's taking maybe 10 minutes and you're done.

Yes but I have a grandfathered plan and can't use the 4g network without a new sim. And can't get a new sim without changing my plan. Fuck at&t

a-user, i...