Condenser vs. Dynamic

I'm currently using an XLR AT2020 that I bought off of a some black dude on kijiji like 8 years ago. I only use my mic for VoIP and I want to upgrade.

Do you recommend a Shure SM57 as an upgrade? I'd get the Shure SM7 but I am a poorfag.

Thank you, Sup Forumsuys.

Other urls found in this thread:

obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-studio-how-to-configure-your-microphone-noise-suppression-noise-gate-and-gain-filter.423/
amazon.com/dp/B00X89IWLY/ref=twister_B00XITQPRM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

58 better for vocals
57 + pop filter works

Thanks...

Out of the SM57-LC and the SM58-LC, which do you think would be better for VoIP? I use one of those tablet boom stands. I don't want the mic to block my view or have to go TOO close to it for good sound.

most things perform about the same at poorfag prices.

>AT2020
no its fine, learn to use a compresser and an eq, put the money into a pop filter instead.

Yea, using a pop filter now but I hate how it's in my fucking way when I am gaming.

Actually, I just found my sister's Shure SM58 and it didn't seem like a big difference in quality.

Maybe I just need to find a better pop filter. I hate these fucking circle designs.

for VoIP? get a condenser

if you dont know of the advantages of dynamic there is no reason to get one, a condenser will do just fine

Dyanamics have better ambient sound rejection, but IMO they don't actually sound better than condensers in general. Also you have to get right up on top of a dynamic for it to sound decent, whereas you can keep a condenser a little ways away.

The at2020 is a great condenser microphone for its price an sm57 is a great dynamic for its price. Both will equally do the job. If you don't want the microphone in your face simply put it further away and increase the gain instead.

get a wind protector then, does the same job.

i'll add that you'll need to get closer to a dynamic and to crank the gain up anyway, if your have a condenser microphone right in your face to the point it bothers you you are probably doing it wrong anyway.

Thanks...

Can any of you recommend software to add a VST, like a compressor or something to block out noise with my AT2020? Do I just use OBS?

What exactly is the problem you are having sound wise?

obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-studio-how-to-configure-your-microphone-noise-suppression-noise-gate-and-gain-filter.423/

Just get an SM-58, the legendary Rock'n'Roll mic

>Do you recommend a Shure SM57 as an upgrade? I'd get the Shure SM7 but I am a poorfag.
Dynamic mics sound like shit. Get a condenser mic.

I'm using a shitty Neewer 700. I use post processing with Audition to clean up the audio before it goes to any VOIP, OBS, or other program.

My mic is too close to my computer which had roaring noctua fans and I just want to eliminate some of that sound.

There is so much BS in this thread.

Good dynamic mics sound great. They can do a few things that a condenser can't do. They have better off axis rejection (usually) and they have a physical compression due to their design that protects them from very high SPL. They also don't need phantom power.

Condensers can be much much smaller, can have more varied pickup patterns, typically require some sort of phantom powering.

-Environmentals
Condensers are good when you know exactly what you want to record in a fairly controlled environment. Dynamic microphones protect you from variables in environment and spl that you may not be able to control (live sound, sources with high spl and high dynamic range).

-Sound Quality
There is no linear best in this case, there are simply good applications for each.

-VoIP
You want a microphone that is small, has good pickup and rejects pops. Sound quality (in terms of color) is not useful for you. What you want is an omni directional lavalier microphone on either a head worn armature or clipped to the bill of your hat. You don't want it on your shirt because as you move your head you'll have proximity changes, you need to mount it on something that moves with your head. You also need to make sure you get one that can be wired straight into the system you have, most condenser lavs can't go direct into XLR. The crappy Pyle lavaliers on amazon are actually very good for their price, they aren't B2, COS-11, or MKE2 range good but you don't care.

cont.
amazon.com/dp/B00X89IWLY/ref=twister_B00XITQPRM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For $40 give this a try, clip it to a hat or to your headphones or even your shirt... it's small enough that you can get it close without it being in the way. The trick with pops and lavs is to put them out of the range of your mouth's plosives, so under your chin or up at your brow. Omnis don't care about how you aim them so just get the proximity right and get it out of the wind of your mouth and you'll be fine. You'll have way more gain than your AT.

If you can't make use of a AT2020 for fucking video games you need to suck a tailpipe.

There isn't a microphone currently made (hydrophone aside) that wouldn't work for video games. There is value to making life easier on you though.

SM57 is a great inexpensive mic that can be very versatile.

But from what you are describing, it sounds like you want a condenser mic. A dynamic mic like the SM57 sounds best when you speak into the diaphragm, not if you make it hang on a stand and speak in it sideways. It will still sound ok, but it will not capture the full gamut of frequencies that your voice can produce, especially the low ones. You have to speak into the diaphragm to make the mic pick up the low frequencies.

And SM57 can do that, with a good pop filter, but it will sound slightly dry if you speak in it sideways.

Not sure what is wrong with the AT2020, it should be better suited for your use case, if you use it properly.

A dynamic cardioid is better when you need to isolate your voice better from background noises, but it's not the kind of mic you can hang on an arm and speak at it from a distance and sideways. You're not going to use it at its best potential that way.