/light/

Ok Sup Forums, here's a slightly different type of thread for you.

Smart light bulbs have been around for a while as well as all kinds of LED-based light systems. Do you use any for your battlestations? In your rooms? Is replacing your home light setup with LED bulbs worth it, or is it pointless and unimportant? How do these lights affect your daily life?

I'm currently trying to find the right bulb to be a wake-up light. I can't wake up for shit, and even with f.lux and twilight and all the other apps, I still want something simulating a sunrise in the morning. That shit works, especially when you're in a place you can't get any.
It's hard to find any concrete information on the apps themselves, the brands, or anything else. There needs to be enough power in the bulbs to give you a decent amount of lux, and most of the "wake up lights" created and sold on their own seem to do a good job. What helps is that they manage to cycle through the right amount of color temp and brightness over a certain time to trick your brain into thinking it's morning.

Any of you tried this? I got a shitty Chink-tier one at the store today and the app was abysmal, so I can say for sure don't buy any crap from Osso. I'm returning that tomorrow.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/
amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM/
amazon.com/GE-Lighting-Replacement-760-Lumen-Daylight/dp/B00R7DFJYU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Been there, user. This is what you want: amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/
I also own smartbulbs and I schedule them for sleep/wake but this light is what makes the difference.

Whoops, bad link
amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM/

Incandescent only because something something cuck.

Based Trump.

I love ANIME!

Russia is the greatest!

>I can't wake up for shit, and even with... apps
The solution to this problem is primarily non-technical, your quality and/or quantity of sleep is bad if you can't get up easily in the mornings.

These fancy lightbulbs are interesting though, I've been looking for a modern lightbulb that actually dims comparably well to incandescent with a similarly warm colour. I tried a handful of options and wasn't impressed, so the bedroom remains the one room in the house with old fashioned bulbs.

I have no idea what light bulb is or does sorry.

>Which is best botnet bulb?

Do you need anything more than a lamp timer and a warm LED? I use this in conjunction with a pleasant wake up alarm (light comes on 10 minutes before the alarm) and it never fails me.

Hey thanks user, that's exactly what I was thinking of getting. Thing is, it's pretty pricey compared to getting a bulb, and with the right kind of bedside lamp mount you might even get closer to 500 lux as opposed to the 200 lux the phillips products provide. It's actually why I am looking into the bulbs right now, since the difference between $100 and $30 for something that is potentially the same function could go a long way.

Yeah on the non-technical level I'm doing all I can. Exercise, diet, schedule, etc. My main problem is a grew up in a sunny country, and now I'm in North Europe and a dark room. It's been messing me up for years now, so this is something I'm considering trying to help me out.

I tried one of those setups but it didn't help at all. Based on research I found the temperature of the light itself actually plays a role as well.

I fell for the Philips Hue meme a few years back when I still has more money than sense.
Replaced almost all the lights in my apartment.

It's pretty nice but I'm missing good integration with my TV/screen.

I know you can now buy a Razer Chroma keyboard which can read the main color(s) from the screen and control the Hue lights.
Pretty cool but I already have a good keyboard and It's very expensive.
Which they made some simple dongle instead for around $30

Don't they make you buy a whole hub for that? The Hue system actually looks really cool for a full-house setup but I find that if you're just looking to do a single light it's really expensive.

For the Razer keyboard, I always wondered if it wouldn't be too distracting if it keeps changing color. Would be cool for some games like Elite Dangerous or something, tho.

Yeah some of those are definitely botnet. Like a lot will sync with Alexa or whatever, but there are options that will only be controlled from your phone, and you do have a certain degree of control if you're on a rooted device.

>Don't they make you buy a whole hub for that?

You have to buy a starter pack with 3 bulbs and a hub.
It's meant as a system to replace all your lights, yes, or at least all lights in one room.

>I always wondered if it wouldn't be too distracting if it keeps changing color.
It doesn't change colors instantly, the transition takes about 2 seconds.
I think they did that in case someone has epilepsy.

I've tried it with a Kodi plugin and the effect is really nice.
It just creates a nice mood where the room matches the screen.
It's just that the plugin was clunky as fuck and I hate Kodi to begin with, also doesn't work in games.

The convenience factor is huge, though. I'm gonna keep shilling for this lamp because it changed my life(tm).

This lamp gives you the following stuff out of the box:
- Real sunrise sim (like, red to orange to yellow to pure white)
- Two alarm times
- Alarms w/ noise like birds and shit (don't use 'em)
- Sunset sim at the press of a button for when you go to bed
- Bright as FUCK at max brightness (illuminates my entire room)

It has the following problems:
- Gotta learn where the buttons are because there are no indicators visible from the front
- No battery so if you unplug it for more than a minute it forgets its time/settings (seems to work if you do it real quick tho)
- Kind of an annoying menu

Now if you want to replicate this same shit with a smartbulb, which I attempted to do to "sync" with the clock because I'm falling for the smarthome meme:
- You need an app to interface with your own lightbulbs. Which means one of two things: You either shell out more money for a local bridge (which kills your desire to stay cheap) or you literally trust the internet to control your lightbulb (which kills your desire to stay Sup Forums).
- You need to find ANOTHER app separate to the control app that will actually do proper sunrise simulation (red -> white) as opposed to most "wakeup routines" which literally just fade the white in. It's not the same.
- Whatever lamp you have at whatever lux you want is not going to beat having the brightness of the entire surface area of the philips lamp in your face first thing in the morning.

It's not cheap but it's worth it. This shit alone has fixed my sleep schedule and it doesn't require app shit to function. To me it's worth the $100.

>actually do proper sunrise simulation (red -> white) as opposed to most "wakeup routines" which literally just fade the white in
That is exactly the thing I am after, which is why I started this thread desu. I am pretty suspicious of the whole "sunrise" effect if it's literally just brightness adjustment with no color variation. I know it sounds retarded but this is really something I need.
Thanks for writing out a proper review. I'll still keep looking for something exactly like this, but honestly I'll happily fork over the money if I can't find it.

np. Will be lurking the thread if you have further questions

Also, quick note, don't go for the "newer model" Amazon tries to recommend you (the one that looks like a warped donut), it's kind of shit.

hold me bros I just want a programmable dimmer.
For those of you who didn't know, CCR dimming is better than PWM dimming. PulseWidth Modulation dimming creates a strobing effect by turning the light on and off very rapidly, creating the illusion of a softer light. Constant Current Reduction reduces the amount of current when you dim it, creating a naturally softer light. With CCR I no longer get headaches from using the dimmer. With CCR I find myself selecting a lower brightness, and enjoying the glow rather than being blinded by 1000 lumens all the time.

Aren't CCR dimmers quite expensive and very power hungry?

Might be cheaper to just use smart LED's.

I don't know anything about lux and wake up lights, but I would recommend the Flux WiFi lightbulbs for home use. I use them in my kitchen/living room for regular use and parties. They are capable of:
Being regular light bulbs
Cool and warm lighting with dimmers
On/off timers for your sleep schedule
Multiple bulb grouping for separate rooms in one network
Multiple color fading, strobe lighting, and programmable color patterns
Sound-reactive settings for music
And probably a few other things I'm forgetting. My only complaints are that once in a few weeks they get buggy when I try to mess with them too much and I have to factory reset them and re-connect then to the WiFi, which is only a 5 minute process.

Ultimately I could live without these lights, as I don't really use them all that much besides being regular lights. But they're a super cool party tool, and extremely fun to stare at when you're really high.

I suppose since you can program a color sequence, you could theoretically make your own sunrise colors equence and then set it to go off when you wake up. That's better than a pre-programmed option if you ask me.

It's hard to match the "accuracy" of fading multiple colors over each other at the right times, though
It's doable like anything else, but a pain in the butt since all times are typically defined as absolute times rather than relative ones, which makes moving your schedule around a pain

This might be something worth trying though it might take some research to get it right. It's possible to start off by creating the right gradient transition value then adjusting it by time. Would take a lot of adjusting, but still a lot better than just a regular brightness timer.

Why?

>I'm too fucking lazy to get out of my seat to flip a switch
No wonder were all going to die of obesity and cardiovascular disease.

Color temperature plays a role in your brain processing light information. Even when your eyes are closed. Starting off from a warm red and transitioning to a bright yellow is more effective than just having a single blue light increase the brightness gradually.

I tried to do something similar with Philips Hue.

But their API was also a pain to work with if you wanted to do it as a clock.
Basically I'd have to set dozens of alarm clocks one-by-one and reset them all if I ever dared to change my wakeup time.

I could use something like a raspberry pi to control the sequence, instead of relying on the bridge as a clock, but I never got around to that.

Oh, I misread you. I agree.

In the same boat as you, user. I bought into Philips Hue because I didn't want my bulbs at the mercy of someone else's uptime. The scheduling options suck.
Your options are third party apps that I don't trust or API it yourself. I haven't ruled out the latter, but I haven't had the time either.

I'll replace when 1500lm or brighter smart lights are common.
Need E27, E14 and GU10 formats.
6500k only.

What I actually ended up doing was setting 3 alarm clocks each 15 minutes apart.

First is just a single light that's around the corner so I only get indirect light from it.
This is mainly to stop any sudden transition from complete darkness to the (fairly high) minimum brightness hue bulbs can have

The second sequence are the lights at the far end of my room.

And the final sequence for the lights above my bed.

For now they are all the same color but I might change them to 3 different color temperatures, or just red->yellow->white (I think the latter will look less ugly)

>6500k

Why would you do such a thing?

8700k is too expensive for me right now.

I am a fan of lifx smart bulbs. I use them in my room and like being able to dim them on a normal switch. I only ever really use the whites (and sometimes pure yellow or orange), but being able to switch from blue-white to red-white is really nice. Light bulbs are one of the few smart devices that actually make sense.

I got this one 2 years ago.
It's rather nice, also it's light can finely replace a bedside lamp for reading.
But it didn't really make a difference helping me wake up...I got used to the wake-up lightning and now only really react when it's ringing

there are no led lights that fit in the connector of the light holder here.

Electrocuting the shit out of your gay ass may wake you up.

This might be a silly question, but are you sure your alarm is set for the full 20/20 brightness?
I realized a few months in that the brightness is actually set per alarm. 20 wakes me up if i like it or not.

>being a butthurt plebbitor
just go back

It worked great for me for a while.
But now I often cover my eyes with my arm in my sleep, blocking out all light.
Even the light from a nuclear blast won't wake me.

dunno got 4 CCR driven leds from a thrift store for 32 USD. pretty sweet. I'm a lumaphile. similar to an audiophile I guess. thinking about powering them with a linear power supply ;) idk how that would work thou

I'm still using incandescents. I'm open to switching to LEDs it just hasn't been a high priority.

I do want to get some RGB LED strips I can mount on the wall and use as a music visualizer though with switchable modes such as a regular spectrum analyzer mode, a mode that detects the bpm of the song and pulses the LEDs in time with it, and probably some other stuff too. Designing the driver and the analog stuff shouldn't be hard but I'm not great with programming microcontrollers but it should be a good learning experience.

I've been using a Xiaomi Yeelight for the past few months.
It's okay, sometimes the app is sluggish and you need a Xiaomi Account, so you can use the bulb.
But you can use a timetable and add certain light profiles i.e. sunrise, night, sunset...
You can also choose the time at which the light turns on, so I could adjust it to my varying wakeup times.
There's also a "musicflow" feature but it's laggy af, since it uses your phones mic as input.
You also never know what the chink botnet might send home.

It's totally worth it. The cheapest LED bulbs I've seen are the plastic LED sticks they sell at home depot in 3-packs for like $10 or something. Since they're plastic, they don't break easily, and since they're LED, they last fucking forever. You might as well replace all the bulbs in your house with them.

I suspect even then it has more of an effect than you know, especially during winter. Oversleeping is a fucking bitch for me and almost nothing can make a difference, but I'm pretty sure there are other more subtle things involved that might be better for having it anyway, even if you're no longer getting the acute benefit.

amazon.com/GE-Lighting-Replacement-760-Lumen-Daylight/dp/B00R7DFJYU

Personally, I've never liked "soft white" or that dingy yellow that incandescant bulbs release. The "daylight" bright white bulbs are my cup of tea.

LED bulbs that are 40-60w typically go on sale for about 50 cents each these days, like you can get packs of 4 bulbs for $2 sometimes. It's kinda stupid to not be switched over yet.

Daylight for kitchen/bathroom/storage rooms and soft white for living spaces.

Do they make a significant difference to power consumption?

8w vs 60w, 4 lightbulbs at 60w uses more power than having my 50in TV / 32in monitor / home theatre receiver / desktop PC on - all those things on consumes about 180w, 4 60w bulbs use 240w.

I use the older gen Lifx in my bedroom wth alexa/google home mini. Lets me lazily turn the room lights on and off from bed and when it's dark super early in the winter

Smart lightbulbs are retarded and merely a plot to charge you more money.

Walmart sells them for just under or over (40 watt or 60 watt equivalent) a dollar here in Hawaii.

In the long term they pay off but unless you run your lights like +40 hours per week you won't notice it very quickly it's p negligible.
If it was a new construction I'd do LED only fixtures but you could retrofit your current fluorescent fixtures (it takes ten minutes and a monkey can do it. I can tell you how.) and use some quality bulbs like from Kobe electric they'll probably last over 15 years and be twice as bright so you really save the money on bulbs.

For can lights and lamps and everything else just buy the best drop in bulbs you can get for incandescents. Try and get a case so you save on quantity.

Best hop on the train now before they really cheapen up all the LEDs and they don't last longer than incandescents

ESPurna
Why isn't there more open firmware for led light bulbs?

anything RGB turned to white without diffuser and strap it on your face.
this will surely wake you up
or give you pokemon disease

>smart anything
fuck no that's fucking stupid

I got two from GE, they're bright as hell I love em.
I haven't tried out adjusting/dimming it yet, or any bulbs that decrease blue light, but I really like the direction lights are taking at least.