Android Wi-Fi tethering on Linux ?

My campus uses eduroam wi-fi service, and for some reason they didn't set it up correctly and I can't connect to it with my Arch Linux Thinkpad. At first I believed the problem was with me no configuring it correctly, but after a short visit to IT sector of the campus, I found out that no linux PC can connect, nor it will for the next year or two. Windows, Android and MacOS works fine, but since only a minority of students use linux, they didn't bother making the WPA algorithms for it

So the question is:
Is there a simple way to use my phone as a Wi-Fi router/repeater ? I've heard people can connect their phones to their PC's with a USB cable and than use the phones wifi to connect somewhere else. Is this possible and if so how ?

>for some reason they didn't set it up correctly and I can't connect to it with my Arch Linux Thinkpad.

The guy who is responsible for keeping the network, and setting it up, one of the teaching assistants said no
He went on to explain how no one using Linux can connect to it beacuse they botched it in the begining. He mentioned that at first they believed no OS would work, but because of some unecure Windows/Android/iOS protocols those OS allow it, while Linux won't. So they just went with it

I believed it was me who botched the configuration, but after nothing really worked I had to visit the guys responsible for the campus networking
He also mentioned that for some reason, some people managed to connect using older Ubuntu(< 14.0) OS, but I am not installing Ubuntu

This sounds like a parody

Typical Arch users don't know shit. Have you tried copying the school certificate from the Android device to Linux then select the appropriate encryption scheme?

Tried everything, as I said, the IT guy said that no matter what I try, I probably won't succed

Tried
>manually connect by adding network{..} in wpa_supplicant
>old and new certificates
>wifi-menu
>netctl
>networkmanger

Also worth mentioning, the neigbouring campus wi-fi that also uses eduroam service works trough nm_applet with no problems

Focus on my question here, is there a way to use my phone as a reapeter/adapter/

>is there a way to use my phone as a repeater/adapter
Only wired, most likely.

Also, if you can't figure out how to set up EAP-TLS with wpa_supplicant you probably shouldn't be using Arch. Literally all it takes is reading docs, certificates from your phone, and some rudimentary understanding of certificate systems.

i think it doesn't work, because your phone only has one wifi device. you would need two wifi network cards in your phone to connect card 1 with eduroam, and card 2 with the thinkpad.

thats why hotspot usually only works with the phone service provider network.

feel free to correct me.

YOU FUCKING NIGGER JUST DOWNLOAD THE LINUX SCRIPT FROM CAT.EDUROAM AND EXECUTE IT JESUS CHRIST

>it works on other campuses
>it doesn't work on mine
>guy in charge told me not to bother since it's their fault
this is enough for me to drop it

Stop being faggots and just accept it

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

What encryption/certificate system are they using and how the fuck does wpa_supplicant not support it

lmao just dual boot wangblows

>Turn off Wi-Fi on phone
>turn on mobile hotspot but instead of Wi-Fi set it to use the phone's charging cable
>plug cable into laptop
>make sure you can connect to the internet
>turn off data and turn on Wi-Fi on phone
>connect to network
That should allow you to use your phone as a wired access point for your laptop and just route all connections to the Wi-Fi your phone is on
Soure: did exactly this and it worked

they are using the standard WPA2-enterprise, but as I said, the guy in charge explained that they botched it and that because of some flaws in more commercial OS like Windows it works fine, but Linux(well wpa_supplicant) doesn't allow the connection for security reasons. I really don't know what I am talking about, just repeating what the dude said, so don't take it word by word

>lmao just dual boot wangblows
LOLLERBLADES

Where am I supposed to get the certificate if the only thing they provide is installers for Windows and fag os?

It's called tethering fag

would it not work the same way phone tethering works
connect your phone to pc via usb, enable tethering, make sure mobile data is disabled and you are connected to unis wifi and it should work

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you? Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

there's an usb tethering option in your configs. Works fine without any configuration.

this worked I got it, thank you