/gnomegate/ - Electron Desktop Environment edition

Spread this to make sure everybody learns how much of a cancer GNOME is to the Linux ecosystem!

Shit we got on GNOME so far:
blogs.gnome.org/tbernard/2018/01/26/csd-initiative/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/7tcudz/server_side_decorations_and_wayland/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY2Mjc
outreachy.org/
igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/gnome-global-menu-extension-discontinued
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/top-icons-plus-development-paused

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

oskuro.net/blog/freesoftware/gnome-as-default-jessie-desktop-2014-08-07-23-58
qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=task-gnome-desktop, task-xfce-desktop, task-kde-desktop, task-lxde-desktop, task-cinnamon-desktop, task-mate-desktop, task-lxqt-desktop&show_installed=on&want_percent=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2013-01-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%Y-%m&beenhere=1
cio.com/article/2881172/survey-says-kde-plasma-is-the-most-popular-desktop-linux-environment.html
youtu.be/ZTdUmlGxVo0?t=1357
github.com/GNOME/gnome-desktop/tree/master/libgnome-desktop
elementary.io/docs/human-interface-guidelines#human-interface-guidelines
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's the matter of time when GNOME becomes marginal DE.
People don't like GTK3 much, many projects are switching to QT.

I really hope so. After having to completely rewrite my custom GTK3 theme like 5 times, I seriously hate GTK, GNOME, and the GNOME development team, and I want GNOME and GTK to stop existing.

So some developer was acting like a faggot on plebbit, how does that make the software bad?

There's a fuckton of reasons for why gnome is cancer and there's several reason why it's causing problems even for people who don't use gnome. they've been gone over pretty well in the previous threads, someone should compile a list of TL;DR explanations. I might do it after lunch if nobody else does it first

SJWNOME is bloated and lacks features.

It doesn't, but when the developers are trying to strong arm other developers into supporting their at-best-questionable design choices while refusing to play ball with anybody else (basically sticking their fingers in their ears and pretending the KDE doesn't exist) that's a problem.

>lacks features
It's a special view on desktop paradigm you bigot

It's all fine and such, but are there anons which performed some actual actions?

What DE should I use? I like my tabs on the left of the screen and to have that upper bar with all of the stats on it. Are there any that look like gnome but are not?

special as in "kid with special needs" tho

I've been developing on GTK+ for some time now, I've only had to remake my theme once, from GTK 3.0 to GTK3.20, never have had to updated it again.

>using a DE
>not using GNU emacs for everything
you are like tiny babby

What is wrong with javascript, besides the name?

Also why are you glorifying dude so much?

Three of the biggest desktop distros use Gnome as default now (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian). That is probably over 90% market share.
If Gnome is so horrible, why do they all decide that Gnome should be default? Yes, Fedora and GTK-Devs are in one bed, but the others aren't.

Maybe also problem is, that we call charity market.

Qt bugs prevent KDE from working right on Wayland.

Windows also has >90% marketshare.

Does Debian comes with a default DE?

>GNOME
>having anywhere near 90% marketshare
"Delusional" is an euphemism for your state.

Javascript was meant to be a scripting language for the web. The problem is that a lot of devs now want to use it for E V E R Y T H I N G. Many applications now are "web apps" being made with Electron, which runs a mini-Jewgle Chrome that then runs the javascript. Javascript is very bloated, and is far slower than traditionally compiled languages such as C, and C++. It's the preferred language of "koders" these days.

oskuro.net/blog/freesoftware/gnome-as-default-jessie-desktop-2014-08-07-23-58

If you look at this it's clear that Gnome is used as default for the big distros. Many of the reasons are just not applicable to Sup Forumsentoomen. We don't need stuff like accessibility, multi language man pages, easy documentation and everything out of the box. We value efficiency and flexibility. Both things Gnome really isn't.
We shouldn't be so self absorbed thinking that this is the same value hierarchy others have with their os.

What a bullshit graphic. In the time Debian had xfce as default people still installed Gnome desktop according to their statistics. Mint probably put a dent in the Gnome leadership, but now since Ubuntu is back to Gnome stop kidding yourself.

>using a forum poll as evidence of real-life market share
kde shills are truly desperate

Ok I gotta admit Gnome isn't as popular on Debian as I had thought.
qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=task-gnome-desktop, task-xfce-desktop, task-kde-desktop, task-lxde-desktop, task-cinnamon-desktop, task-mate-desktop, task-lxqt-desktop&show_installed=on&want_percent=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2013-01-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%Y-%m&beenhere=1

It's a lot more popular than all the others but it's stagnant at 20% while Xfce is the only one noticeably rising in the last years. (Good thing imo, I might add)

kek and it's a 4 years old poll
cio.com/article/2881172/survey-says-kde-plasma-is-the-most-popular-desktop-linux-environment.html

Debian's "default DE" is the one you get if you check the desktop environment box in the installer. That's been GNOME for at least fifteen years.

Because they keep acting like faggots when it comes to decisions in regards to the software
>No we don't want to work together with other DEs on a standardized solution, we want everyone to it our way!!!

(You)

IE is bad because MS doesn't give a fuck about its users and just wants to make money in every way possible. They also thought they can dominate the browser market forever out of their monopoly without making an effort. They were wrong.

All these arguments don't apply to any mainstream distro I named. Debian, that really doesn't cater to newbs and as a community distro even decided on it.
Any better memes left?

>Gnoe is bad because Red Hat doesn't give a fuck about its users and just wants to make The Gnome Way in every way possible. They also thought they can dominate the DE market forever out of their monopoly without making an effort. They were wrong.

youtu.be/ZTdUmlGxVo0?t=1357
Gnome critics fucked in the ass by Lennart. (Watch the whole video, Lenny is very entertaining)

He makes the point that they want to cater to as many use cases as possible and they have many wishes from enterprises to consider.
I don't like it, you don't like it but we should recognize that we're not the onlytype of linux users.

>watch a red hat employee defend its product
Almost as "entertaining" as watching Ballmer tell me Windows has the lowest TCO in the world...

Is there a video discussion with Ballmer and a real critic? Why wouldn't that be entertaining?

If I shouldnt use GTK then what?
Qt is shit to work with, I might as well use chromium and render my UIs as a webpage

>they have many wishes from enterprises to consider
rich, coming from the "feature dropped since our devs and their laptops don't need it" gang

GNOMEFAGS BTFO

UBUNTU WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG

Then you simply not using much of the gtk features.

>lean mean qt machine producing 60KB fully functional programs that are responsive, low-footprint and fully featured
vs
>300 MB disk 1GB RAM embedded OS and need to write in jsshit

>j-just say yes

Holy shit absolutely BTFO.

I'd be ashamed to be seen in public after this.

>Sup Forums vs Lennart Poettering - The movie

Xfce is the best. Coupled with Debian, it's the only Linux.

GNOME is SHIT. Install Xfce with Debian.

>557 votes
>"of the year"
l
m
a
o

the absolute state of kde

No you install Budgie with Solus

Fuck off kevin

Well, that doesn't even look bad, as far as custom UI goes. But their point stands.

hahah epic filepicker thumbnails gnomekeks btf...

You are a brainlet. I won't explain why so this will be a learning experience for you.

Thanks doc

>There is a thread
>This faggot has to show up and mention file picker thumbnails in it somehow
>The end

>enterprise
Indeed. Oracle is switching to Gnome 3 for Solaris.
>t. still don't like it. But at least Wayland and most of Gnome won't be so tightly dependent on systemd, as much as pottering wants it to

this is why client side decorations are dumb

quite a lot of window managers already provide a title bar
and those that don't have keybinds for exiting the application and whatnot
also, what's with the huge ass buttons that look like they were made for use on touch screen devices?
if they're so concerned about not wasting vertical space, they could've just had a normal 20px menu bar instead of that colossal turd log of a bar
this is literally the definition of bloat
they're acting as if gnome is the only DE out there
hopefully this cancer won't spread beyond shitty gnome applications

>switch to icon view
>doesnt show thumbnails
>have to explicitly click "Show thumbnails" button every single time you want to see thumbnails

nobody cares about your marginal hipster shit wm

(You) are the bloat

you'll also have 2 title bars with xfce or lxde and most floating window managers

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

>hipster wm
>twm
kids these days

gnome is the only one that matters
if you aren't using it, it's your problem, go fuck yourself

all major distros use gnome by default now
linus uses gnome

Explain that Gian button shit then. Why do you need buttons that big?

Install Lumina.

It's funny that you tell me that, because that is what I have installed here. I'm just not 100% sure I can stand ancient packages forever and won't distro hop away again.

you are the kid here, going out of your way to install a special snowflake wm

looks like you have scaling issues, it's not nearly as big on my desktop

>1366x768
topkek, i see it now

CSD is just another attempt to vendor lock-in.

That's not my desktop nor I am the guy who posted it. It's just that in every desktop thread I see those who use gnome have big buttons on everything.
>it's not nearly as big on my desktop
But they're big for some random reason.

For touch screens and restricted users?

>based GNOME team attempts to enforce real design guidelines so that linux applications can actually look good
>entire community throws a shitfit

the absolute configuration eigenvector of ganoo linux users

>the baiting shitposter is a wincuck
color me surprised

it's like dressing swines in suits and making them dine at a restauraunt

>tfw no dirt
>lmao having to use a fork and knife just to eat
>"muh manners"
>these suits are all the same and cover our unique dirt splotch patterns.

It saves your settings, retard.

The problem is their design is garbage.

per folder, so you either have to click it on every single folder that you want to see thumbnails in, or you enable global override and make all folders look the same

not defending gnome or anything, but this is just retarded.

How do I purge GNOME programs?

It also doesn't cache thumbnails on remote filesystems.

no one came up with anything better

looks pretty good to me, as well as linus torvalds and thousands of other people who use their PCs for living and choose GNOME as the only viable DE that allows them to just work instead of fucking around with toolbars and sliders, trying to make a spaceship out of their file manager, or posting weak bait threads on ethiopian sock knitting assembly

shkg muh hed tbqhfampai

KDE's Breeze design is better.

About 1-2% of the """market""" is using linux. Meanwhile one of the distros you mentioned, Fedora, offers live installation media with KDE, XFCE, LXDE, LXQT, et al as the default out of the box. Your post reeks of fake news.

if that's the case, then im the incarnation of Elvis Presley

Use Tk then.

GTK is dead long time ago.
Gnome just made GTK pretty and to look like OSX fagbook. But in the backend it's a complete mess

>implying Red Hat gives a fuck about its users
>implying it's not just another corporation that only cares about profits

>Gnome is a framework for creating desktop environments out of javascript modules

Ah, so that's why GNOME is written only in C?
github.com/GNOME/gnome-desktop/tree/master/libgnome-desktop

fedora is THE gnome distro
just like ubuntu now
the fact that they have spins means absolutely jackshit.

debian is the actual questionable one there

Gnome3 is solely responsible for destroying the linux desktop. Gnome3 has made systemd a hard dependency and that sin alone is unforgivable, but it is compounded by many more sins.

Just run MATE and pretend Gnome3 never happened.

I have no idea what MATE is or does sorry.

No it's not.
Breeze is fucking bright ass clunky shit.

It's still GTK

>not using vim for everything
you are a little babby

gnome is only responsible for few dozens of tasteless manchildren's torn anuses

>not using ed for everything
you're a little baby

and then there are these fags...

>bunch of autistic neckbeards from slash gee and drowling redditors
>community

>no one came up with anything better
The elementary OS design guides seem good for me:
elementary.io/docs/human-interface-guidelines#human-interface-guidelines

Tfw without GNOME anything elementary wouldn't even be possible.
Absolute state of Sup Forums braindead wojacks.

>using a de
Found your problem

I've the final desktop solution. We make the entire desktop in js and use React as framework.

It's a fork of GNOME 2. They've ported to Gtk3 and their next release will have full HiDPI support. If they ever get a working Wayland compositor, GNOME 3 will be officially useless.

I was talking about design guides you stupid fag