/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

In Recent News:
>Oneplus Annual Report for 2017
oneplus.net/uk/annual-report-2017
>OxygenOS 5.0.2 OTA for the OnePlus 5T
forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-5-0-2-ota-for-the-oneplus-5t.766693/
>Essential skiping Android 8.0, but talks about 8.1 for stability
lstu.fr/tuzfQ9ew
>Samsung teases camera improvements for Galaxy S9 & Design Leaks
theverge.com/2018/1/24/16930506/samsung-galaxy-s9-reveal-unveiling-invite-event-barcelona-mwc
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/01/30/samsung-galaxy-s9-galaxy-s9-plus-specs-cameras-release-date-price/
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9_cad_schematics-news-29400.php
>Verizon won’t sell Huawei phones due to US government pressure
theverge.com/2018/1/30/16950122/verizon-refuses-huawei-phone-att-espionage-cybersecurity-fears
>18:9 Sony Xperia Compact certified by the FCC
gsmarena.com/an_189_sony_xperia_compact_may_have_been_certified_by_the_fcc-news-29402.php
>Asus to announce Zenfone 5 on February 27
gsmarena.com/asus_to_announce_zenfone_5_on_february_27-news-29406.php
>Alcatel 5 leaks in press renders and promo video
gsmarena.com/alcatel_5_leaks_parade_press_renders_promo_video-news-29401.php

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

macrumors.com/roundup/2018-iphones/
cnet.com/news/as-wireless-growth-ebbs-at-t-readies-for-fight-of-its-life/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Galaxy S9 going to be THE BEST phone of 2018

Reminder of best imouto

Shamelessly copypasting from the last thread

Hey guys, this is kinda embarrassing
My Note 3 running LOS14, rooted with the zip that they provide, hanged while I was encrypting it. When I first started the process, I got the screen with the Android mascot on it, and the countdown timer, and when that was all done the device rebooted and asked for my pincode, like you'd expect. But now it's been stuck on the boot animation for a good 6 hours. The phone feels warm, so it seems that the phone is doing something, I just can't figure out what. I've encrypted a lot of things and I know it's not supposed to take this long, especially with only 16GB of storage to encrypt, so I'm kinda worried. On the other hand, the initial timer went down like it was supposed to, and it prompted me for my pincode, so I guess it's possible that it's done and just stalled for whatever reason.
Anyway, do you guys think I should just take the risk and forcefully reboot the thing?

First attempt at showing recent news, tell me how I did.

So I'm a happy owner of an OP5T. While the phone is good, I think its too big.

Everybody here thinks that medium to small phones are for manlets, but a smaller size is more handy. What are the REAL pros of a big screen?

There shouldn't be much of a risk to factory wipe, but do you see a notification light or anything?

Lads, I need help bootlooping my G4
It has already restarted several times, but would boot up "normally", so I'm not going to get assfucked by everyone from LG to resellers with this lemon and I'd rather unfuck the whole situation since it's still under warranty
So far I turned on shit like bluetooth, nfc, location, screen on full brightness, phone plugged in and running a game, any better/more effective ideas you could throw in my direction?

> zenfone 5
i'm still with the 2
im feeling old

Never was a fan of Samsung phones, but no doubt they'll present an impressive phone.
When my Nexus 5X died I was happy that I moved from a 5.2 inch screen to a 4.6 inch. It feels much better to use, reminds me of my Nexus 4, RIP.
Wait... You wan't your phone to be in a bootloop?

>Wait... You wan't your phone to be in a bootloop?
No, I want it to bootloop on it's own 3 days after the warranty ends
Yes, I want my phone to bootloop, I wrote that it's still under warranty, whatever the outcome of that will be, I'll still be better off, worst case scenario I get the same phone with new motherboard, that will work for 1-2 more years

Nah, nothing. The operating system isn't up yet. I just tried rebooting it now, and it asks for my pincode like it should, but then it gets stuck again, in the boot animation. It's not bootlooping or anything, just stuck. I guess I should just reboot into TWRP and factory wipe.
I've heard that rooting can affect the outcome of the encryption, maybe I'll try this before flashing the root zip next time.

Galaxy S8+ or Note 8? Replacing my S7.

Don't you think those are too big?

I have giant hands.

Kirino a shit

Also clumsy ones.

Where can I get a xiaomi mi5s in black SENPAI? Honorbuy and eudirect don't have black in store anymore.

This. I'd still hatefuck her into oblivion however.

Agreed.

This post proves otherwise: 80s Mio looks pretty cute.

I got an UMIDIGI S2 Pro delivered today. It is straight out of China, but I must say that so far I really like it. It took some time to flash it and get rid of the bloatware.

This is my first Android device. I've only been using Apple since the first one, but lately the switch to Android has been more appealing.

So for an Android newfag, what should I download and try out?

I'd watch the shit out of the 80's and 90's versions of K-On. Shame there isn't a version with all five of them on it.

Is there any AOSP custom ROM for it?

Not sure on how you, yourself can bootloop your own phone, but a loop is caused by a miscommunication. There's no real method of forcing a bootloop, you can try many things as infecting your phone with malware, downloading faulty applications, bushing your phone to its limits with benchmarks and other intense tasks
I remember having trouble rooting my phone and installing LOS with my encrypted phone. Many people don't deal with it because of its potential problems, and complication moving files.

How do i get Sup Forums catalog to work with mobile safari?

I just cant get my iphone to display catalog at all

>iPhone

Found your problem.

>iPhone
>not being a part of the Android Clover master race

I have lgv20 and iPhone now please answer my question.

bootloop is caused by LG incompetence to properly put a chip on their motherboard, and bootloops happen when over time heat just loosens the connections between the chip and motherboard
The phone itself has restarted several times while I was using it, as I imagine from overheating

I have both now stop this android faggotry and answer my question please

what's wrong with your s7? the s8 won't be much of a upgrade

I need to switch carriers and my phone is Verizon locked.

Ok then, have you tried using the page as a desktop?
I'm not sure if Chrome is the only thing that uses that, but that usually fixes up any layout errors for me. Or to be more specific, what exactly do you mean by not displaying?

Is it straight up not displaying the page? Or is it not displaying correctly? Can you give us a screenshot?

It’s just a blank

in that case, I would go with the note 8 if you can afford it and don't have baby hands.

I got it to boot up by doing a factory reset and then booting the system from the TWRP menu. It wouldn't work when I just powered the phone on normally, even after the factory reset.
Everything seems to be alright now, I hope this'll last when I update LOS next time.

Bought a galaxy s8, waiting for it to arrive.
What can I do to unbloat it?

So are there even any

get one of those package disabling apps and disable anything that has your carrier name on it or says "galaxy", "samsung", or "touchwizz".

go into android dev settings and set animation scale to 0.5x speed.

use nova launcher or another fast performance launcher

Hows Z3c vs L1? keep in mind i can only get used Z3c.
My primary concern is battery life and sturdiness.

Should I get a used but in good condition Essential Phone for around $350, or wait another 2 weeks for another paycheck and get the Oneplus 5T for about $125 more?

Any Essential Phone users out there care to share their opinions about their phone?

Except the size, the OP5T is damn near perfect. It's a "major go".

Dunno about the essential.

I have a zenfone 2 and it's still working but sometimes the digitalizer doesn't work properly (0,5 cm on both sides on the edges doesn't recognize touches), in one corner the screen is detached from the digitalizer (a tiny triangle 2mm) and there are tiny particles of dust inside the front camera. as I said the phone works but in the future I will probably replace it. should I buy a new chink phone on the internet or just wait some time to get a new ex flagship phone. my aim is to get a durable phone and I was thinking about the lg g6 or the s7 and for the chink phone the mi a1. what would you do?

Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

I'd get an affordable flagship phone, like the OP5T, the Pixel 2, maybe the Essential Phone, or LG G6. You could even go with one of last year's (late 2016 - early 2017) flagships like the Google Pixel or HTC 10, since they should be supported by Google for a while.

The problem you run into with chinkphones oftentimes isn't build quality if you do your research (stick to Xiaomi phones for the most part), but band coverage and software. Asus phones are basically chinkphones with American band coverage and software.

IMO, you will of course be paying probably $300-$150 more for the flagships, but you can use that shit for years (especially the Pixel phones since Google will continue to support them for like 3-4 years at the very least). Battery degradation is still a thing though. The LG phones have removable batteries.

bump, recommend me some intense games that will burn this fucker

I read them and were informative. Thanks

I dropped my note 8 in the bathroom of Dennys and it slid all over the ground and scratched the front screen. Anyone to atleast buff the scratches out and get my slick screen back?

you're probably gonna make the screen worse if you buff it out. only option is to replace screen

>Bathroom of Denny's
Hahaha! Why is that so funny?

Buy "The Chan" app but it just works in safari for me as well.

>kilobuck phone
>doesn't use tempered glass screen protector and/or a case

anyone have a lg g6 or v30? do they bootloop as much as their previous flagships?

From where.
I was drunk and hungry.
Cases are for losers with no confidence.

So a glass screen protector
Fucked up screens are for retards and iPhone users

Just came in the mail, I regret nothing

Is it still worth it to get a new iPhone SE on contract or should I just get an 8?
Mainly thinking about how the 8 should receive two more years of updates than the SE, but who knows.

Anything bad to know about Mi A1 ? Seems pretty good overall and like the best "budget but not budget" phone for 230 or so

Not bad. I remember one of the Xperias being cherished on here, which one was that? It's a bit too expensive for me, which older model would be the equivalent?

Been fucking with OP5T since the release. Highly annoyed by the lack of physical buttons at the bottom.

Any recommendations around that budget but with said buttons?

>Should I get a used but in good condition Essential Phone for around $350, or wait another 2 weeks for another paycheck and get the Oneplus 5T for about $125 more?
>Any Essential Phone users out there care to share their opinions about their phone?
I have an Essential Phone. Honestly I'd go with the 5T. I love my Essential, but this phone is clearly just a beta test for whatever the Essential 2 will be.

OP phones have a very quick turnaround, but the custom rom support is usually really good, something that isn't quite true with the Essential

>
>I'd get an affordable flagship phone, like the OP5T, the Pixel 2, maybe the Essential Phone, or LG G6. You could even go with one of last year's (late 2016 - early 2017) flagships like the Google Pixel or HTC 10, since they should be supported by Google for a while.
>The problem you run into with chinkphones oftentimes isn't build quality if you do your research (stick to Xiaomi phones for the most part), but band coverage and software. Asus phones are basically chinkphones with American band coverage and software.
>IMO, you will of course be paying probably $300-$150 more for the flagships, but you can use that shit for years (especially the Pixel phones since Google will continue to support them for like 3-4 years at the very least). Battery degradation is still a thing though. The LG phones have removable batteries.
I'm a whore for phones and I constantly buy/sell. Right now I have an Essential, a Pixel 2, and a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2

Of the three..I'd say try to go for something like a OP5T instead.

Essential is just a beta test phone
Pixel 2 is great software wise, but the hardware feels flimsy and cheap
Mi Mix 2 is great feeling hardware, but fuck MIUI and the hoops you have to jump through to get rid of it

There's an X Compact, but doesn't feel the same way. And with outdated hardware you might not want it.

Hope you like it user
Do you despritely need it, rumors Mills are churning out the possibility of a new SE.
>Noise in low light (Nothing new)
>3G in the US
>Chinese

>Do you despritely need it, rumors Mills are churning out the possibility of a new SE.
Would that come out in March again? I could wait that long, but autumn is a stretch

5.2“/ 5.5“ are the perfect size screen

I got a xiaomi redmi 4x. Which rom should i flash on it? I just want something as close as possible to stock android that works. Preferably no "bugs: you tell me" roms.

Post your phone and a photo taken with your phone.

Note 8.

Using Z1 Compact with LineageOS, 4k video supported

This thing is still fucking fast

I don't want a fucking notch. Why can't these retards just admit they made a mistake?

Have you tried RR?

is this real?

iphone x discontinued in July then a new iPhone x (or more) next November, probably bigger screen and hopefully better materials

i want a pixel but i still need a headphone jack. even though i rarely use it

No, i just got permission to unlock the bootloader. How's the battery life?

macrumors.com/roundup/2018-iphones/

Who here has Time Warner?

cnet.com/news/as-wireless-growth-ebbs-at-t-readies-for-fight-of-its-life/

It was the same as in Miui for me, but i heard it might be better.

Best protective case for the Note 8? I do outdoorsy shit fairly occasionally and keep my phone with me. Quick search on my break earlier brought up the Ghostek Nautical. Is it any good?

I should also explain I don't want something super bulky if I can avoid it. Waterproof isn't a necessity but I'd like it if possible.

thanks, i will try rr then.

Damn android recents is so useless. It's super convoluted and it actually takes more time to use than actually going back to the home screen.

what's a nice phone for someone with small hands?
I'm 5'2 so someone that small.
I tried Iphone X and Note 8 and they are both way too big. Their length is the size of my hand.

iPhone SE, asian gurl

The Iphone X SE? I googled it and it is still too big.
Also I'm just a manlet. not a girl.

Should I get a galaxy s7?

No get HTC 10 for cheaper instead

I want ne Lenovo P phone. That 5100 mAh battery is just goat.

dayum

nah, the regular one, used
should still get 2 years of updates

Why is it rated higher than the 2nd one? It has higher times on everything shown

I can't recommend you anything, but bare in mind that every single protective case will make the S-Pen hard to reach without long fingernails.

Maybe because it has smaller battery?

Makes me wonder why no one else doesn't make similar phone with 5000mAh battery? Why Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei etc. are so afraid of larger batteries?

How would that matter if it can't do those tests as long as the second place

I don't know desu.

i want to nakadashi kirino

Can I install sense launcher to Lineage os?

She's pure! PURE!