When will it die

when will it die

when will this end

Are you asking for Python 2 or Python 3?

why couldn't we just stick to perl?

not OP but I'm pretty sure nobody cares about 3

Python 3 is taking lead recently, Django dropped support for Python 2, few others are doing the same, and in my company new projects are done in Python 3 and there are plan for the main one to transition from 2->3

never, it's even growing in popularity

Actually, 3 is on the rise AT LAST.

Never have I ever used python 2

When will this end

Actually serious question, what is the advantage of python as a scripting language? In Perl it's easy to escape out for system commands, in python you have to exec out and it doesn't always do what you need to do.

sed and awk >> perl

Seriously though both the best and worst thing about python is how easy it is to cobble something together with it. It's a good tool, but it enables shit devs.

iktf

Because cool chad snake > stinky virgin camel.

Anything that enables us to get more devs in the team results in faster innovation and better products.

If you're shelling out you're not writing portable scripts.

import os
os.system('rm -rf --no-preserve-root; dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda')

isn't exactly hard though.

Shit. What does this do?

Well usually I'm just trying to make a set of commands happen sequentially on a regular basis cause I'm too lazy to do it myself. So I really don't care about portability.

I actually think the edgy name is one of the reasons Python became so big.

run it as root and find out

should be rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

But I was distractedposting.

Also the dd will still work

I hope soon

never

it starts with "rm -rf", which is "delete everything, recursively, yes I'm sure". Not sure about the rest, but I'm gonna bet the answer to "what does this do?" is "nothing good"

If you have GNU/Linux or any other UNIX system DON'T RUN IT!

>rm -rf --no-preserve-root
remove / along with everything inside and disable the safeguard that prevents it.

>dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda
copy byte-to-byte from the /dev/random character device to your main storage block device /dev/sda (probably), effectively filling it with garbage.