Console Development Kits

Let's have a super fun thread about older video game consoles and their overly protected dev kits.

Things like their debugging software, graphics libraries, development consoles.

Other urls found in this thread:

antime.kapsi.fi/sega/docs.html
n64.icequake.net/doc/n64intro/kantan/step3/index1.html
n64.icequake.net/doc/n64intro/kantan/step1/index1.html
dropbox.com/s/os9fq720nmgo898/gs-perfect-sprite.pdf
dropbox.com/s/f6xgfprfc14xgv4/SpecialEffects.pdf
ghostbin.com/paste/gtdru
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Remember that time someone gutted an Xbox Dev kit that had an alpha build of Halo on it so he could build his custom PC?

Remember how the Xbox still doesn't have an emulator?

Here's Master Chief in a bikini to make you feel better.

as soon as i clicked on this thread i knew that was going to be the first post and it hurts my soul

>>Sup Forums

oh reddit

Oh god, I had managed to forget about this, I'm so triggered right now

nintendo

hello

I memba!

Why didn't the reddit kid sell it before ruining it for a lower mid tier PC?

Nice completely unsourced and fabricated bullshit about an alpha build, raked in the (You)s

>alpha build

>Incapable of using google
Gee well aren't you dumb

Stop. Reminding me.

gamecube > all

He said that his dad tried to sell it multiple times on Craigslist but no one ever replied.
However, a lot of people were looking up said offers and never actually found anything so he probably just made it up as an excuse after everyone went apeshit.

No, he said his dad offered it on Reddit, which was proven true, but his dad posted it on the single most-barren subreddit possible where is got only a few half-hearted replies and then he fucked off.

Hating this guy is literally some reddit tier shit though. You fags will never learn. All good Xbox games save for literalyl 2-3 games are on PC. There's no Xbox emulator because there's no fucking games to emulate. Further more, there's a lot of people who suggest that the kit would have contributed absolutely nothing to emulation.

Because again THERE'S NO FUCKING GAMES.

it has ninja gaiden black, I don't want to play the PS3 version because I hear it is worse.

The sega saturn SDK was quite a crash course on how to 3D graphics:
antime.kapsi.fi/sega/docs.html

Even basic shit like matrix transformation and texture mapping have to be taught, because those manuals are aimed at people that until yesterday were drawing tiles, sprites and moving em with 68k asm.

Here it goes, the not on pc collection of Xbox exclusive that don't have remakes or earlier versions.

Kung-Fu Chaos
Forza 1
Jet Set Radio Future

The Oddworld games got a port to steam, Conker is on n64 with worse multiplayer which I doubt you could get people for if a Xbox emulator did exist, Ninja Gaiden is on PS3 as you mentioned and better racing games than Forza exist
It's pointless to talk about how bad the Xbox original was and I don't mean to defend the fag from reddit. But the reddit pack mentality hivemind hate train over "MUH FABLED XBOX EMULATOR" is everything this place claims to hate.

Will check this out later.

n64.icequake.net/doc/n64intro/kantan/step3/index1.html

The nintendo 64 one is quite hillarious too.

*prease understand that 640MB might be slightly bigger than 64MB, but FAST!

I own a PS2 TEST which is pretty cool. Mostly because it can play out of region PS1 games with no issue thanks to the dynamic oscillators.

You just don't get it. If you can't emulate it, you lose the og Xbox entirely.

Hey boys, your PC98's and Atari STs won't cut it this time.
We recommend you to get PCs for the programmers, expensive macs for your audio and texture artists, and even more expensive SGI stations for your 3D modellers (also known as 2D artists reading this manual to try to get a hang on how to make a box look like a person) and you network everything with an even more expensive Sparcstation server!

Thanks for this user/g/, looks good.

Did i say trying to make a box look like something else? well, first you need to know how to make a cube!

Every PS2 (especially the 90k models) are multiregion.

This document is the SGL Developer's Manual Tutorial
It's literally a crash course on 3D graphics, 3D modelling and non bleepy audio.
After all, it was people moving from the sega genesis and super nintendo to suddenly 3D graphics.

Making a sprite engine spit polygons do have it's downsides.

I fookin love Nintendo and their innovations. Nobody else comes close and you fuckin know it

Good lord, that Comic Sans font hurts
n64.icequake.net/doc/n64intro/kantan/step1/index1.html

Come on, its a project realiUltranintendo 64
It is supposed to be fun, thus fun fonts!

Also don't forget to study the DD64 gaijin, it will be a massive success!

With SOFTIMAGE|3D you need instructions even for making a Cube, trust me.

Drawing pixel perfect sprites on the PS2
dropbox.com/s/os9fq720nmgo898/gs-perfect-sprite.pdf
Fast and perspective correct distance fog on PS2
dropbox.com/s/f6xgfprfc14xgv4/SpecialEffects.pdf

I just imagine the face of the japanese guy that until yesterday was drawing 16 color sprites (but only using 8 to save on the palette), sitting in front of this unwieldy beast.

tangentially related
ghostbin.com/paste/gtdru

>FAST!
kek, it was only 1MB/s at the outer edges (zone 0 is 2.5MB)
also, the quoted cd-rom speed refers to single-speed cd-rom (150KB/s). even the original playstation had a double-speed cd-rom drive, and by 1996 they were already available up to 12x speed (1.75MB/s)

not development, but close enough
this thread reminded me of how i wanted to make vcd-like discs for my playstation, but didn't quite figure it out
i had an str encoder, and str player exe's from demo discs, but it just didn't work
i could probably figure it out now, but obviously i have no use for it anymore

Never 5get

Can we appreciate for a minute what magicians programmers used to be? The old development kits were very hard to use, very low level Programming was involved. But some people still managed to squeeze out impressive performance.

2018: I am forgotten

Mechassault

Im so glad we have Unity now
t. someone who programmed a GBA game in C.

>Unity
Welcome to bloat city.

>I'm so glad I can write bloated crapware easily now
>t. someone who actually knows how to program

not what I expected honestly