Linux is just bad OS to use

Reason #1: It’s Complicated
Okay this is those things we can forgive if the product is exceptionally good otherwise. Which Linux isnt.

Reason #2: You’re Alone… Almost
This isnt the worst thing for those who have the time to figure it out themselves.

Reason #3: It Changes Constantly
You canät have backward's compatibility.

Reason #4: Pointless Competition
Wayland or Mir? Gnome Shell, KDE, Cinnamon, Unity, XFCE, MATE, or LXDE? OpenOffice or LibreOffice? Banshee, Amarok, or Rythmbox?

Reason #5: Mediocre Hardware & Peripheral Support
While you can run Linux on a wider variety of exotic systems than its competitors, it often chokes on common hardware.

Reason #6: It’s Slow
Linux has grown into incredible bloat and Windows works faster now. Windows also uses less memory.

Reason #7: Programs Suck
Everything is shit but also free.

Reason #8: Gaming
A couple of years ago, gaming on Linux was a joke. This has been remedied I believe? But I don't game anymore.

Reason #9: It’s Free
This is one of Linux’s greatest strengths… and greatest weaknesses. I wish there was commercial software also.

Reason #10: Philosophy Versus Practicality
Now on to the ethical, moral, and philosophical aspects I dismissed in reason #9. A large portion of the Linux community like Linux for philosophical reasons. They fundamentally disagree with the principal of closed source and/or for-profit software.

Reason #11: The Community
When members of the community aren’t being reasonable, polite, and helpful, they are complete jerks. Forums are filled with infighting, unhelpful responses, and downright nastiness. And by filled, I mean you occasionally stumble across these posts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F4hQ4J4BFOM
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=809067
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

>You canät
Spotted the Swedelet.

It isn't complicated if you go with a beginner friendly distro, and if you keep using the OS you will eventually begin to appreciate that it does not go out of its way to hide stuff from you or keep you from making changes to the system to suit your needs.

>Windows also uses less memory.
Begging for replies this hard.

>not commercial
I bet there is a way you could pay money for it, if that really bothers you that much. Donate to teams that work on software you like.
>linux is complicated
Just like it is having a car. If you don't know how to fix it, you either pay other people to do it for you or you don't buy one.

Like I said Linux being complicated is the least of the problems for people who can spend time with it

These other problems are more problematic

>problems are more problematic

Why would you consider an os if you are not going to spend time using it?
I think tgat you are overestimating the learning curve and underestimating the time you can save by being more effective once you get a hang of things.

do you not currently spend time with windows?

>Reason #1: It’s Complicated
Ah, so you're just retarded.

dumb bearposter

>1
No it's not, you're just an idiot
>2
Irrelevant
>3
All software changes constantly, wtf kind of criticism is this?
>4
Having choices is not pointless
>5
Hardware manufacturers fault, don't buy shit hardware
>6
Exact opposite of the truth.
>7
No they don't.
>8
Most good games are on Linux. Only shitty AAA games aren't at this point.
>9
Linux does have some proprietary software. Most proprietary software is garbage and is borderline malware.
>10
You don't need an idealogy to dislike shit software. Can you name any proprietary software that isn't complete garbage besides photoshop? Photoshop runs on linux now anyway and is uneeded anyway since krita exists.

There is no legitimate reason to not run linux at this point unless you're a retard or a gaymer.

>Reason #1: i'm a fucking normie who only uses his computer for twitterbookgram and maybe office
>Reason #2: i'm a fucking normie who can't read or search the Internet
>Reason #3: i'm a fucking normie that doesn't know you can update whenever the fuck you want (unlike in Windows)
>Reason #4: i'm a fucking normie who needs to be told what to do
>Reason #5: i'm a fucking normie who thinks it's fucking 2010 Linux

3/10 made me reply

>Linux is bad because i say so
Do you unironically call this reasoning? :^)

Fucking sage this already, you dumb cunts

I guess, that's a selfportrait.

>hardware manufacturer's fault
This, fucking this
I hate how these faggots can't fucking realize that when you have to write your own drivers from scratch nothing works as good (with exceptions) as what the manufacturer made
Have you ever tried to use windows with generic drivers? It's literally much much worse

>there are people taking this seriously and not realizing it's a guy making fun of casuals who can't into linux
However, that's not to say this is a good post, even ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Just report and ignore, OP is retarded

I dunno lol, maybe more complicated than BSD but much easier than windows.
>Reason #2: You’re Alone… Almost
Not really, it's much easier to find a community guide for linux. Windows is the opposite, if you ask a question about some problem in windows you will have to deal with thousands of pajeets spamming stupid shit without anything hinting at the actual problem. Sup Forums included.
>Pointless Competition
As pointless as competition between microsoft and apple is.
>Mediocre Hardware & Peripheral Support
Has troubles with nvidia cards which is 100% nvidia's fault. The part abouth peripherals is kind of true, cups is garbage and there is no other widely used printing system. I am sure you can point out more things about peripherals.
>Gaming
Not a gaming platform indeed.
>The Community
Why do you repeat yourself?
>You canät have backward's compatibility.
>It’s Slow
>Programs Suck
>It’s Free
>Philosophy Versus Practicality
Low quiality bait

Fuck this, RMS.

I keep on trying a bunch of Linux distributions because I really want to be able to suggest one to my friends but it's no use. All Linux distros are steaming piles of feces'.

>GNOME is bloated apparently
>KDE is full of 1px scitzhofrehnia-tweaks that hide the useful configuration settings
>XFCE is KDE but outdated
>LXDE is XFCE but different
>i3 is great because it has no functionality
But I can't tell my friends they need to ditch their Windows machines for i3, can I?

>Ubuntu is spyware
>Manjaro is for pussies who can't install Arch
>Arch is for teenage bois who can't install Gentoo
>Gentoo is for anti-social neckbearded anxiety-bags
>Elementary is macOS but worse
>Fedora is official NSA/FBI spyware
>Void is hipster
>Debian is obsolete and repositories are stone-agean
>Alpine is for servers lol it's not a desktop os user
>CentOS is for servers lol why would u ever use a server os user

But user, all distros are the same, they're all (GNU/)Linux!
Oh yes!
>X.org tears and runs as root
>Wayland will never be implemented and creates new problems that weren't there
>audio overall is a fuck up
>foss drivers are garbage while proprietary support is half-baked
>configuration kills the man because all .conf files must be edited by hand, which leads to error and frustration
>ALL (GNU especially) DOCUMENTATION IS GARBAGE or from the fifties
>half-baked 3rd party binary distribution which leads to greater fear of platform all over
>repositories and package managers are the implemented alternative but is missing that one package you need and another six are outdated and lacking in already-implemented capabilities
>also don't ever build from source user do you want to end up witch a FRANKEN
>you must learn bash and the common shell commands to fix your pc when it breaks or when you adventurously fuck up something
>NO SYSTEM TO KEEP CONFLICTING DEPENDENCIES ISOLATED FROM EACH OTHER
>systemd dominates

Holy shit just buy a Mac like I did

>Holy shit just buy a Mac like I did
But I'm not gay...

>The BGM of this post
youtube.com/watch?v=F4hQ4J4BFOM

>le homosexual may may XD

>le everything at linux is shit may may XD

>reused bait
Try harder, user.

It never ceases to amaze how blasted ganooh plus lainuks fags go for stating facts

I'm not the one who came up with meme reasoning and shitty excuses against linux. Only X root is relevant (probably), but shit like "xfce is kde", are just a red flag for your tech illiteracy.

>Windows also uses less memory.

since when does Windows use only a few MB of RAM

>Only X root is relevant (probably)
Who's the tech illiterat again

>They fundamentally disagree with the principal of closed source and/or for-profit software.
>for-profit
That's not what free means, idiot.

I'm not who compare apple and orange based on retarded arguments. Use namespaces if you fear theoretical threats on X.

It's also pretty funny when a macos fag talks about security issues when they got passwordless root that needed at least 2 patches. Like they care about security for real.

1. No
2. Plenty of documentation and help online
3. Better support of old hardware than windows
4. Choices are good
5. Sometimes a problem on newer hardware.
6. Most stuff works fine
7. Only thing I can think of is Photoshop, Zbrush, and games
8. More games run than they used to, and you could always have a dedicated gaming PC
9. Lot's of commercial software ports exist. And otherwise you can use wine in many cases.
10. Linux philosophy is hands down better
11. Every online community is like that

all these retards took the bait

1. My mom uses Fedora. Are you more computer illiterate than a 70 years old woman?
2. See 1
3. Good joke.
4. How is having more choices a bad thing? Please explain it.
4. Bis. the same could be said about any mainstream OS. Do you use itunes, foobar, vlc, winamp or windows media player?
5. Blame the hardware manufacturers. Even then the only problems you may have are with wifi cards, very old hw or extremely specialized shit.
6. Benchmarks pls
7. They don't suck as much as you're mom lol
8. Ok
9. Pixar runs Maya and a bunch of other good old proprietary and commercial software on their workstations.
10. Free software being against for-profit models is a myth. You'd know that if you actually knew what you were talking about.
11. Deal with it.

I know I am replying to obvious bait but I have nothing else to do right now.

>BREAKING NEWS: Sup Forums is autistic

he made the mistake of shortcutting his linux compile by only including modules currently in use
saves a lot of time and space if you used a fixed set of hardware
don't blame linux when the user does something dumb

Thank you for this on-point post.

>written in 2013
Opinion discarded

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>DEs suck on Linux
Yeah no uniform DE within penguin yet..KDE on OpenSUSE has been nicest for me so far.

>Ubuntu is spyware
what? they reverted that in the next release, years ago
>Manjaro
Manjaro team is too small for my tastes and they
>Arch
Developers are dicks, huge timesink
>Gentoo is for anti-social neckbearded anxiety-bags
Awesomely terrifying, I should've stayed and stuck with it 15 years ago.
>Elementary is macOS but worse
Too many layers, debian/ubuntu/elementary, stick with debian already or even ubuntu
>Fedora
Have not tried it briefly
>Void is hipster
Tried it, messy
>Debian is obsolete and repositories are stone-agean
Very stable and minimal, good for servers, not so much for workstation
>Alpine is for servers lol it's not a desktop os user
have not tried it
>CentOS is for servers lol why would u ever use a server os user
yes

But user, all distros are the same, they're all (GNU/)Linux!
Oh yes!
>X.org tears and runs as root
Not since Oct 2015: bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=809067
>Wayland will never be implemented
Slowly getting there, not stable/featured enough
>audio overall is a fuck up
been OK since Pulseaudio grew up
>foss drivers are garbage while proprietary support is half-baked
AMDGPU is awesome, rest is shitty
>configuration kills the man
OpenSUSE has yast, which is almost a proper gui config tool
>ALL (GNU especially) DOCUMENTATION IS GARBAGE
>half-baked 3rd party binary distribution which leads to greater fear of platform all over
>repositories and package managers miss things, ppas break stuff
>also don't ever build from source user do you want to end up witch a FRANKEN
>cli still required for maintenance
>dependency hell
yup
>systemd dominates
yes, repos are nice, until packages are not in default repos, then it gets messy
yes, gui config tools in linux are near non-existent

>Holy shit just buy a Mac like I did
Yay welded overpriced closed shit
I just hate everything and use everything.

Linux is complicated because:

#1 I am stupid

#2 My decision is not approved by the majority of other people

#3 It dares to try and improve constantly

#4 It dares to be competitive and with it, draw out better and better things

#5 I cannot set up my esoteric Ethiopian GPU

#6 It is so slow that almost every supercomputer, quantum computer and server run it

#7 I don't know how to configure things and expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter

#8 I am a manchild who is easily entertained by flashing lights

#9 It is free, but i wish i could use proprietary software on it... if only there was a way like, i dont know, just adding 2 lines of code somewhere

#10 It has actual ethical values and builds its system around it, and that is a no no

#11 When people aren't nice, they are rude especially when it comes to fixing mundane things for overgrown children

There, i fixed that for you

The second anti Linux thread today? Someone's sliding...

>7

It was about free software being shit, not about not being able to use software.

GIMP: bullshit, Photoshop is so much better regardless how good at you are using either

Other image manipulation/drawing software in Linux: better not even mention them

Cinema 4D: you can't even have this on Loonix

Music production software: basically you need Windows or MacOS for these

Commercial Chemistry, molecule drawing and chemical plant design: you need Windows

You have to go back

This. Ubuntu Mate will practically hold your hand until you’re comfortable. It does everything short of wiping your ass.

>rm -rf / - make computer faster
W-what ?

>computational chemistry
oh no you didn’t nigger. I work in drug discovery and we use mac os and linux. Windows isn’t even part of the equation. Have fun docking a million compounds to any number of targets on a windows supercomputer (if any even exist). PyMOL, Autodock4 and Vina, DOCK, Schrödinger‘s suite, etc. All run on linux at the very least. Mac is just as supported, but you will need to compile pymol if you don’t use the paid version from Schrödinger. Windows is an afterthought.

ChemOffice is for Windows

fair enough, but schrödinger‘s suite is in the same price range seemingly does the same things. But schrödinger are a bunch of jews though with their token system. Each job you run costs a certain number of “tokens”. So say you have 10 tokens, performing homology modeling to add a missing side chain may take 1 token, docking depending on precision can take from 2-3 tokens, and so on. I really want to write a free as in freedom alternative to these programs, but I don’t have much time.

well that token system really sounds a bit too much

ChemOffice can be used for a year without any kind of restrictions and with a good use you can get the money back by the work you do with the software in less than a year

Okay, I know that this was actually a blogpost of some retarded paid shill. So this is a pasta and a bait thread. I've read it half a year ago. I'll respond to provide a counter-pasta for future Sup Forumstards.

>it's complex, you're alone, it changes, it's slow, programs suck
These are opinions, not facts, and are in fact false.

>competition is pointless
Anyone who isn't a retard disagrees. But I do agree that some DEs shouldn't exist (MATE, Unity, LXDE, Pantheon, Deepin).

>banshee, amarok or rhytmbox
Neither. Pick between Clementine and Audacious.
>OpenOffice or LibreOffice
Libre, without a doubt. Or... OnlyOffice. Or (((WPS))). Also
>having a choice is bad
Suck the dictator's cock more, please.

>chokes on common hardware
all CPUs and iGPUs are fully supported and perform optimally. nVidia GPUs have excellent support. AMD new gen GPUs have decent out of the box support. WiFi and Bluetooth will work in 99% cases, if they don't use windows drivers for them (yes, this is possible). Hardware compatibility is the fault of manufacturers, not Linux. The same goes for Apple and Microsoft, they don't make 3rd party hardware support.

>gaming
Gaming on PC is, and always will be, shit. Consoles serve this purpose much better. Also, not a fault of Linux. It's the game devs that aren't competent enough to make their games run ON THE SAME ARCHITECTURE as windows/Mac. No tux, no bux.

>it's free
This isn't a flaw.
>I want commercial software
WPS Pro/Premium, DaVinci Resolve, a ton of server related software is commercial.

>philosophy
Nobody cares. See; Linux Mint, ZorinOS, SteamOS.

>community is evil :(
Yeah, on Sup Forums maybe.

hahahahahah stupid retard

complicated : for retards
alone : only matters if you're a retard
changes : doesn't when you use minimalist software
pointless competition : doesn't apply when using minimalist software
mediocre hardware & peri support : use a fucking thinkpad anyways
slow : much faster than windows on minimalist systems
programs suck : the only use I have for a computer is to save time
gaming : if you're an adult you should have some responsibilities... fucking waste of time
free : dual boot windows if you need commercial software support
philosophy vs practicality : i don't give a fuck if software is free like the fat peace of shit Jew RMS or costs money. i'm only here to save time.
community : it's the fucking internet, everyone isn't going to be perfectly polite and respectful. Toughen up

I'm not even into CS, i'm a grad student in economics and linux/dwm makes me much more productive