/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jpmhfVZiG48
noctua.at/en/mainboard/Asus_ROG_Strix_Z370-E_Gaming
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You should add that one should always buy all the RAM they want on the computer at once at the start. Yes, the price might go down, and you could get by with 8 GB, but the exact RAM may not be available anymore and you end up buying twice as much.

im trying to install w7 from disc, when i get to the first screen, my mouse pointer isnt visible onscreen and keyboard inputs dont work, it works fine beforehand. what do i do?

>Sell old GPUs I had on my closet
>Get 100 dollar profit

Feels good.

>the exact RAM may not be available anymore
The exact RAM is unnecessary, and anyway there's always used RAM which is about as safe as buying used can possibly be

You're trying to install on Kaby/Coffee or Ryzen. Check guides. If you're installing on an older platform make sure you're plugged into the USB2 ports

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

Can get a 1060 3gb for £219.

Can't see anything within £40 of that. Should I pull the trigger or does anyone know where I can get a 6gb one at non-obscene prices?

Upgrading from a 970 with a fault that causes 50% of demanding games to crash.

Office PCs will be tiny 200W Psus, even a 1050ti is running a risk

Most have 240 watt PSUs, which is enough for a low profile 1050ti.

No its not, 350W would be enough, not 240W.

I remember years ago hearing that HDMI cables are HDMI cables regardless whether they're gold or not, but is that still true now? Is there no difference between them?

reposting from last thread

what's the best CPU for my 1070 Ti? I've been looking at the 8700k

Yes, they are all the same unless you are getting chink shit.

What changes is cable durability but if you never unplug it it will never matter.

youtu.be/jpmhfVZiG48

Never by brandless $1 cables. I've had cheap cables leave the connector casing in a socket before.

Don't spend a lot though, a cheap but trustworthy brand is generally good enough. You only need top quality cables with good shielding if you're either going longer than 2m or the cable if going by some high powered speakers and you're doing 60fps 4K

Based, I didn't think there was, but I wanted to make sure.

>$268
that's more than the cheapest 1050ti where i live :)
also no such thing as refurbished 4th i5 for cheap, at least not in eu

Nah it's nothing like that, it's probably about a foot at the most, but I need to put it into a splitter. The ones for £3.50 look decent enough.

I5-8600k / R5 1600 or better.

Anyone here have experience with EVGA's step up program? Can I just buy a 1050 and (eventually) get a 1080ti for MSRP?

not i7?

Anyone able to find a 1060 6gb for under £300 in stock in the UK?

Depends, will you work on it? Yes.
Will you play games on it? Not at all.

okay, thanks user

You just gotta look around a bit.

I7s are mostly useless for gaming because games rarely use hypertreading, which is the main point of a i7.
If you want to get and afford one is good but you should spend that money on other parts.

I see
well, the 1070 Ti is a really powerful card, so I want my GPU to match it. if the i5-8600K will do it justice then I'll go for that

Get a good HSF like a NH-D15, and a good SSD.

I'd wait a bit for the new Ryzen ones to come out, or just get an R5 1600 since the motherboard will remain compatible. Plus, it's immune to Meltdown.

the NH-D15 isn't compatible with my ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E though
I was thinking of using a Corsair H115i

>the NH-D15 isn't compatible with my ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E though
It should be: noctua.at/en/mainboard/Asus_ROG_Strix_Z370-E_Gaming

Unless you are getting a mATX or ITX build avoid watercooling, it works in small cases but air cooling is way better and cheaper.

oh, my bad then

really? I thought water cooling was both better and more quiet compared to air

I would reccomend the 8600k, however since this year is going to have a lot of cpu's you could wait around a bit. But if you don't want to that fine, go for it.

Something like Noctua D15 gets very close in terms of cooling performance and you can probably run it with a single fan if noise is a real concern. Comes with PWM fans anyway. It's also cheaper.

Any idea on how much better the 2nd gen Ryzens will be yet? Seems like most motherboards will support them.

An 8400 outpaces a 1080ti at 1080p dont sweat it

Not yet, come back in a month or so.

How much of a bottleneck is the 3gb on the lesser 1060? Won't go above 1080p

>bugged cpus int the op
wow wonder who is behind this

oy vey dilid dis

>intel
what rock have you been living under

I'm a brainlet when it comes to PCs, my last build was 7 years ago and I haven't done any research since then

What cinebench ST scores do you get on your coffee lake CPUs?

Been binge watching VR Chat on YouTube and got really enticed by the whole idea. Now I'm aspiring to join in the fun (or clusterfuck, w/e).

My Gigabyte GTX 770 died on me a good while back, so I've been stuck with a 550Ti since then, also needing to upgrade.

Since I'm in a third-world shithole, GPUs are always expensive (worse now because of altcoins) and VR kits are available only through import, so it'll take me at least until my next pay day to be able to afford at least the GPU, and probably until April to afford a VR kit.

Should I get a 1070/Ti now (and would that be enough for the current VR releases and kits), should I wait until Volta is released, should I go for an AMD, what do? Also, what are the current reliable brands for GPUs?
On the side of VR, which kit should I look for? Oculus, HTC, some other? I want to have at least full-hand motion capture, if possible even full-body.

I have an i7-3930K with 12GB 1600MHz (one of the modules also started failing and died back in 2014), will it be enough?

I have this monitor, The Dell S2417DG, it's a 165hz TN and I love it, but I want to pair it with a side monitor. I'm a bit worried though because I'm on Win 10 and apparently there's a CPU usage bug when using two monitors of different refresh rate? Has that been fixed yet?

Maybe buy the VR set first and wait. Don't buy the GPU now, just wait for the stocks to start increasing as they're supposedly ramping up production. Prices should go down, especially if the memecoin hysteria starts dying down a little due to the crash.

Oh, and your platform is still good enough, don't change it.

A 3GB 1060 would be a sidegrade from a 970. If demanding games are crashing your PC, you might have a PSU issue.

Probably i5 8400

>i5 8600K
Not worth it

Buy everything at once unless you encounter a sale

Water pumps are loud like you have no idea.

>1050ti 4gb
>1060 3gb
Fuck ngreedia

If you haven't noticed by the last 3 posts you are being baited user, just a shitposter shitposting.

I've never used water cooling before, I've just gotten tons of recommendations from friends about how they're so much better than air

Nah, it's the 970, two different PCs, two different high capacity PSUs.

Not all demanding games crash it, only some.

They are better if you have a small case, and they are better than a 212 EVO but nowhere close to high end heatsinks.

Buy a stronger CPU so that you won't notice the usage

I think it fits here; are Videoseven(V7) Monitors any good?

can you recommend me some nice 24 inch 16;9 monitor good for color correction

As we are at the monitor topic.
What is the best all-round monitor.
The best middle of gaming, working, movie watching, .......
at the best value.

Vg248qe :)

970 crashes in half the games if i oc it at all. Have you tried underclocking it?

TN-Panel?!

Tried underclocking, lowering voltage, raising voltage, still happens.

NANI????

I have a I5 6600K and my old R7 370 just died for no reason.
What should I replace it with?

Aren't TN-Panels considered shit, aside for hardcore gaming?

Someone can recommend good monitor (no IPS, please) 24-25" (27" if you must, too big imho for my desk), UHD/4K.
No gaming (never say never ofc), mostly drawing lines. some visualization. CAD as in architecture.
Everything is such shit if I look aroundd...

IPS panels are shit, user.

They are. The vg248qe is a competative shooter monitor and sucks at much else. Has a nice stand though ha ha

MSI Optix in the OP

If you were happy with the 370 then 1050 2GB or 560 2GB (make sure you get full 16 CUs)

Every TFT is shit.
CRT is still better than everything out there today. Even OLED has too many problems to compete. And with SED and PED they even solved the weight/size problem.
A shame the tech was dropped.

>MSI Optix in the OP
>IPS panels are shit, user.
>Vg248qe :)

Sup Forums on the loose

I was quite happy with my vintage samsung SyncMaster .. but the lamp is dying .. 10 years...
Tried several newer ones, everything is shit.
can't stand IPS, contrast is non-existing and glow kills eyes.

my mobo is a ASUS Z170-P D3 and I could spend a bit more on the GPU if it's not retarded considering the rest of my config.

>Vg248qe
>full HD
I need more pixels for my work. Currently at 1920x1200 - bare minimum and should be even more for better productivity.

>1920x1200
There is the Dell Ultrasharp 2415 with that resolution, but not much else.
Any other ones that can compete with the Dell?

What's your budget user?

Those literally do not exist (and they shouldn't). You will either have to get an IPS display or go 28".

why does building a pc have to be so shitty right now, what am I going to do with this tax return? Should I just save it for cannon lake/zen+?

It is IPS, actually tried it and it is horrible to eyes.

There actually are some, sadly yes - IPS
28 is fucking too huge .. I must start cutting furniture to get it bit further away from my eyes.

Why they shouldn't exist?

and you are a non white shill

22000kr (2800$)

Pixel density is way too high; 4x the pixels of a 1080p monitor but in the same exact space.

way too high? ~0.14 mm
if you say so...

But yes, it seems to me that I must go the 27-28" way.

So if IPS and TN are both shit, what about VA?

Tried one... was IPS again ..
Must go the VA route with one that big but there is no 4k/UHD either...

My current one is TN, never said that TN is shit - IPS is not for me, 10+ years old and I'm happy with it except cfl is dying...
Good TN with good led (1b+ colors would be good too, less blue) Or VA, more contrast (good).

>never said that TN is shit
but lots of other people seem to agree it is

Depends what you do with your monitor.

IPS is contrast-wise worse than TN imho. Or is it just me.

So should I go for a 1050 Ti?
Or even a 1060 3GB

Why is something like U3277PWQU not made in 25" (ok, 27") form?

>>G4560/G4600

were there ever plasma pc-screens?

i currently have 700gbp saved for a gpu and headset when the next gen of vr is released is it worth buying a gpu now before the prices skyrocket or should i just wait? i had in my mind that they cant really improve much over the next few years anyway. I currently use an r9 270 which i got at release and it's still perfectfor my use case

Static image burns into plasma screens.