Man is it just me or are desktops looking blandier every day? And I don't say it to shit on windows...

Man is it just me or are desktops looking blandier every day? And I don't say it to shit on windows, most DEs in linux also have adopted this boxy bland theme without any shadows in an attempt to look "modern"

At least Vista looked beautiful, even if it was a shitty OS. But more recent desktops like Windows 10, GNOME, or even OS X Sierra look like they were concieved in 10 minutes, fuck, they don't even have shadows!

Vista looks like shit mate, 7 looks great tho

Goddamn that's hideous. By bland, you must mean "not ugly"

You're wrong.

Vista wasn't even that shit after SP1.

that's because xp - 7 where designed by profesional artists. after 7 they just shipped it all over to india and let pajeet design it. that's why 10 is all dark and inconsistent. much like the streets of india.

I disagree. Vista looks rushed, it's like they tried to make something new on top of Luma.

>using a gui
A computer isn't a fisher price toy, anons.

At least it looks better than a solid color box.

Show us something you programmed in machine code

>not using a gui
We are not on 80's anymore gramps, no need to type 10 different commands just to achieve something you can do with three clicks.

GUIs used to take skill. Now any Pajeet or Chad can whip up a shitty thrown together UI and for cheaper, and therefore in the strive to scrape every penny, software devs are going to go and do that.

Totally disagree with you on this.

I'm sorry you type so slowly

>I like being inefficient because my time has no value

>Completely lost the plot

some of it is coming back, if you like "content aware mouse"

Welcome to modern flat design where everything looks like it was made in Excel or MS Paint.

It's amazing how some of the icons and layout can be recognized easily without getting lost navigating. it looks very lively to me even though sometimes it gets tacky

Interesting. Got a link or article about it?

This screenshot is so /comfy/
I understand you OP
I still use Mavericks on my Mac to get those middle 00s vibes

yes, i miss that era of design. wish there was a way to make win 10 look like 7 with full aero.
>inb4 use 7
using a 9 year old os is not a solution

win10 is indeed bland and soulless

Pretty sure you can theme the UI to restore some gloss

>using a 9 year old os is not a solution
It is. It's still under support and anything but Store apps is compatible. It's not like Windows 10 is brand new OS anyway, it's just Vista 5.0.

Aero is the best looking desktop UI. Ironing out a few issues it would be perfect. Look into ChaletOS and the themes it uses. Looks pretty good too.
Mac OS never looked good.

ok but what about in 2 years, just say fuck updates and keep using it?

In gnulinux you can screw any DE, from any era you want.

They are all inconsistent pieces of shit lacking the most basic feature tho

meh, IceWM have all features you need.

And KDE is looking not bad out of box... Except fucking clocks, and user icons.

Vista was so comfy.

I also unironically liked how Vista looked like.

Wish KDE wasn’t so ram consuming...

KDE uses less ram than Gnome from what I've seen on screenshot threads.

I think Windows 8 was the one who started it all.
It's not intuitive to have tiles. the flat white icons on flat colors tell you nothing. you actually have to read the text to discover some of these. at least an (old) icon has a shape, or color pattern you recognize it right away without looking around. the color tile itself around the icon is useless.

The only way to make this blander would be to turn it into shades of gray.

xorg + systemd + 5.10 KDE with nothing else takes about 400 RAM when idle. Supposedly it's gotten even better with 5.12 LTS.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

just because xp looked horrible doesn't mean Vista or 7 looked good

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.