Why does Sup Forums hate western digital hard drives?

Why does Sup Forums hate western digital hard drives?

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/
yuki.la/g/63431597
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We hate Seagate, WD is OK. Hitachi is /ourdrive/

Backdoor'd. So, botnet, probably? I, unfortunately, have and use a WD 2TB for my backups, though....

Backdoors

backdoors my fucking ass

Opinions on Crucial SSDs?

All drives have backdoors now, thanks NSA.
Probably OK

Western Digital (WD) and Seagate are confirmed to have hardware backdoors. They use chips which allow code execution before your OS even boots up. This means that FBI/NSA/terrorists/hackers can hijack your machine with 0 effort and without your knowledge, and have full access to everything on your PC and even employ keyloggers.

You mean modern SeaShit. Nobody here hates WD.

Also, Sup Forums is not one person.

overpriced, and no longer as reliable as they were known for

They now have higher failure rate than Seagate.

I just got a 4TB HDD for 100€, how is that overpriced?

Maybe true, but that data is somewhat old now, especially because 7% falls (or rises) in 2017 could change the conclusion.

>10% failure rate in 2015
I knew it was bad but holy shit!

Remove HDD and boot from live USB

their 1tb are over $55 even when on sale.
that's overpriced
especially when they take the shit previous models and simply rebrand them as the known decent models to trick people into buying refurbished or garbage lines nobody was willing to buy before

Inferior performance. Unless you mean put the boot loader on external storage and the rest of the OS on hardware. Would that even work against the backdoor?

Here are the numbers for 2017 (both Q4 and annual): backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/
It stayed mostly consistent with the exception of some unusually bad 4 TB drives, but they are in very low total numbers so maybe that was just a bad batch.

Best size hard drive to failure rate? Like what size is less likely to fail.

Also proofs for backdoors?

Got a 1st gen crucial ssd when it came out and I've had it in every computer I own until now, no problems.

I have 4x 8GB WD Reds running in RAID0 for over a year. Highly reliable.

You mean Seagate?

>4 x 8TB
>RAID0

He lives life on the edge

amount of platters is what matters, not size.
more platters more heads more chance of failure

backdoor rumors
overpriced
part of the pricing cartel (like any other storage company)

this man's dick is bigger than his brain
swagger my man

Thanks. Does RPM affect anything as well?

>Highly reliable
I don't know, friendo

too many keks

hds failing is a meme
I've been using computers since windows 98 and it never happened

They mostly either die right after you buy them or never die

What is this backdoor I am hearing about? It the same one where nas had some old admin account enabled? I though that was fixed with updating nas software?

Surely drives themselves are not backdoored?

why would anyone ever use raid0?

max storage, and max speed.

ITS REAL

I don't even like seagate but people need to stop taking backblaze data as gospel. They don't take into account IO utilization over time and the drives are subject to conditions that don't apply to 99% of users. If a WD drive is going 100% full tilt boogie for a year compared to a Toshiba drive twiddling its thumbs then how is that a fair comparison?

your storage isn't maxed at all though? It's just your speed is upped and you have a relatively fast 8TB drive, correct?
also
my fucking sides

>Half as long, twice as bright

I just got two 8tb easy stores for $160 each, the ones that have relabeled reds in them. Just setup a Nas with raid1 for comfy backup.

Decided on differential backup.

Ahhhhhhhh

I remember that user who had a raid 0 with eight fucking drives and one of them died on him, that was a good thread.

I had a 3x 2TB Greens last 9 fucking years with 90% uptime. They are now my backup drives for this new 32tb

>If a WD drive is going 100% full tilt boogie for a year compared to a Toshiba drive twiddling its thumbs then how is that a fair comparison?
do you have proof they put more load on their seagate drives than the other ones?

Because its shit (mine broke after 2y)

Same, but mine are all refurbs

>Same, but mine are all refurbs
>half as long, twice as retarded

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

l2search this shit yourself.
obviously rotational speed of the platter affects actual speed

but don't get one that's too fast otherwise it will fly away

>he doesn't ride his 15k rpm HDD like a magic carpet
no wonder you're still a virgin
>icanshowyoutheworldintensifies

>he doesn't use his quantum bigfoot as ballast for his oil tanker
sure is 3.5 inch drive plen in here

I remember him too! Keks

>Backdoors
>My fucking ass
Exactly

that thread was gold

here it is in the archive
yuki.la/g/63431597

>flawed firmware that break the drive after 5500 hours of ontime

Because it's not HGST but pretends to be.

it changes literally every few months.

>those survey numbers
Get 10k results on each drive for each year then maybe I will believe it.

WAKE ME UP

You have a source for that?

Supposedly a high failure rate.
I dunno. I don't think any of mine have died.
I prefer them in desktop applications. For my servers I think I went 100% toshiba.

You do realize the disk doesn't even have to fail.
If one sector blips or you flip a bit it's all over, right?

>tfw fell for the SSD meme

my temps are lower and my CPU is less stressed

why didn't i upgrade before

They were the gold standard 'til ~2012. Almost to 2015 they were decent investment, so long as you knew which models to avoid. Hint: your pic-related is shit-tier and always was.

WD then split off 6 gorrilion models, so no reliable data at this time as to which ones are a good bet. Their Black HDDs, the go-to for half of fucking ever, started having FAIL issues. You take a gamble trying to use their other HDDs for anything other than their stated purposes, and WD has spammed the living fuck out of the Internets with marketing bullshit to the point you can't even tell what each model is supposed to do, or if it can be purposed for something else or similar.

Still have half a dozen Black HDDs from 2010 and 2011, all in top health. Bought several new Black HDDs in 2015 & 2016, 2 out of 6 are still functioning. One was dead on delivery. Why Black HDDs? 5 year warranty, hard to come by. Also, supposed performance & reliability. Performance is so-so compared to other available models, and 66% FAIL rate is not even remotely "reliable."

The reason to invest in a WD Black is specifically to have a performance HDD that runs your operating system plus applications. Simple task, simple target market. They don't do that anymore.

Can also tell you Western Digital doesn't stand by their warranty anymore. I was not able to RMA any of my dead Black HDDs. 4 dead drives representing about $500 after-taxes cash stolen from my pocket, and all I got from WD was weeks of runaround, a botnet-level privacy anal probe trying to register for RMA, and in the end was basically told I broke the drives through abusing the hardware (I installed Win 7 on 2 and installed linux on 2), therefore, no RMA would be honored go fuck yourself thanks for monies 'kthxbye & refuse to respond to any further contact attempts. 2 different accounts I had to register to make the RMA attempts have been locked, and info to register them no longer valid to register new ones.

Fuck Western Digital.

I have everything important backed up thrice.

Well, the fact that you haven't died yet doesn't guarantee you from it happening eventually. Single case statistics are funny

They like the reds

Numbers seem high. Ive never seen a drive fail in my entire life of computing except from being physically damaged. Ive had 2 psus shit out, a gpu die, a mobo die, lapdop screen die, but never once a drive. I have 3 wd a seagate and a samsung sdd all running strong

I like them, pic related what I use

Can I trust refurbished drives?

I wouldn't, not without some form of redundancy anyways.

If you're going to plop it into a RAID5 setup then its fine.

How are Toshiba drives?

i got 2 from 2016. there not a piece of shit like maxtor or i guess seagate, who bought maxtor, is.

why do you cunts talk about brands instead of specific models? no shit a wd is much worse than a toshiba that costs twice as much. If you start comparing NAS drives, seagate and wd are the best due to price

seagate are cheap pieces of shit

more pics, please?

>4 x 8GB
Holy shit that's some serious storage.

WD blue is piece of shit

>Western Digital drives are shit
>HGST: A Western Digital company drives are the best

What is going on

I heard Toshiba was good so in my new PC I using only Toshiba drives.
They are fucking loud.
I don't have any other 4TB drives to compare though.

link/source?

Literally every WD I bought failed within 6 months.

I don't think that's their point, I think they're saying that a drive that fails under intense pressure may be fine not under pressure. While it's nice to know which drives handle the stress not everyone runs them at 100% utilization 24/7.

You may think it sounds silly but one of these "high risk" disks would be perfectly suitable as a backup drive since you'd only be reading and writing annually, think daily vs random access vs constant access.

It's almost the same arguments people make for all enterprise hardware, yes it's more reliable but not everyone needs that level of reliability, at the same time that doesn't diminish the reliability if you're not a high stress user.

Same reason they hate SSDs

>tfw my pre-2012 WD hdd has 50k power on hours
when they work, they work ig

I do not understand all this hate on Seagate drives: in my old computer I had one for over 6 years and it never gave me problems. I once dropped one from 1.5 meters and it survived just fine

I always buy WD and I've never had a drive fail.

Wd pay shill to shill on Sup Forums

WD bought HGST as a subsidiary. However HGST is sorta independent from WD hard drive products.

Sorta like ASUS and Asrock

So the only good WDs are Blacks and Reds now?

>Sorta like ASUS and Asrock
Not even close.

Not that user but I own four WD externals (oldest is about five years old and the newest about two years old) and I've had zero issues thus far. That said, the most used one probably only has about 10k hours on it.

they're the same price as WD, and have similar reliability for their NAS drives. They also have lower power usage than any other brand

Underrated.

The only good WDs are Red Pros and Golds. You can find Golds around the same price so that's the best choice at this point. Fuck 5400 RPM Reds and desktop drives like the black and blue.

Real master race is HGST Ultrastar tho. At least until WD ruins that later this year.

shhh, be careful, the kids might learn what drive classes are

The golds are gold

Ha, just realized you proved the persons point you were replying to. Missed this for

No. It literally has nothing to do with the admin account thing (which was a software issue). The backdoor is integrated into hardware, allowing the PC to be taken over before booting. This is a hardware issue. It's impossible to fix. The only option is to use a different brand of HDD and make sure it doesn't have the chip that lets it execute malicious code before your OS boots.