Bought A $50 iMac

I managed to get pic related for $50, Sup Forums. I'd never experienced OSX, so I thought i'd report back on it.

This is running snow leopard, which only uses around 300mb ram on idle, which is nice. The hardware is 90% flawless even after 12 years, and solidifies my position that pre-iphone apple was awesome

Homebrew was recommended all over the place for installing shit. I quickly learned that the shilling was a lie, as 99% of packages failed to build. I installed macports instead and it worked fine.

Manual compiling isn't too bad, it's the same shit as linux. Most generic linux programs like neofetch and cmatrix compiled with 0 issue.

all in all, this thing is a solid 9/10 machine, would recommend.

Can you even watch 720p videos on that?

yep, i stream law and order episodes in hd without issue.

also youtube livestreams work, but you need to set them to at least 480p to play smoothly.

You really only have to worry about that on PowerPC Macs.

Honestly, that's probably the only way anyone would ever convince me to get a Mac. It's otherwise overpriced garbage

I got it lightly used from kijiji. I'm surprised at the condition for the price. Only quirk I had was the cd drive jamming, but that's no big deal. It starts in less than a minute and can run firefox + irc + macports compiling with no lag.

Wipe that bitch and install Debian

>implying i want to risk fucking it up

i've set gayOS up to my specifications after days of tinkering. I'm not going to risk it when i have 2 other computers with loonix on them.

>running end of life software
Enjoy your botnet.

Is is not OSX, it is Mac OS X, it is a good system, unlike newer versions.

>end of life

a lot of programs still support snow leopard from what i can tell. also you have to be TRYING to get a virus on a mac/loonix

I know, osx is a fancy way of saying macOS 10, but normies just call it osx and it rubbed off on me.

>iMac5,1
>EM64T
Unless Apple has terminated driver support for it in System 10.13, it should be technically possible to upgrade it to 10.13, would also require RAM upgrade, and CPU if you dare

that and money for an install cd

and i guess you know my financial situation if i paid $50 for a mac

Oh I thought I wasn't responding to OP. My point stands, so if you're going full Mac....*shrugs*

Should be pretty good considering you're wasting money on useless junk

mac gay

>Homebrew was recommended all over the place for installing shit. I quickly learned that the shilling was a lie, as 99% of packages failed to build.
what a bunch of bullshit. thousands and thousands of people use homebrew without issue.

Apple is gay.

It's broken, and the git issue page is filled with bugs.

It's good enough for google. And 11 issues for software that large is pretty damn good.

I have a 2005 mac mini in pieces on my desk, I'm sure it works fine, it just needs a new OSX install. Problem is the DVD drive is broken and I don't have a flash drive big enough to do a USB boot off of. Are there any other methods I could use to install OSX on it?

I believe I have the latest version of home-brew installed and it works perfectly. I can install, uninstall, use cask, and remove unused dependencies.

OP, if you can, try to install the latest version that is supported for your Mac. If you can't, you can at least install a bunch of newer software because I believe a bunch of software still supports Snow Leopard. Welcome to the Mac Zone.

>Brew install irssi
>Error downloading python setuptools
>Check cache
>It's there, but Homebrew doesn't see it

>Brew install neofetch
>Tries to fetch package from archive that 404s

>Port install irssi
>Works fine

>Manual compile neofetch
>Works fine

If you have another Mac, I believe you can remotely install from the other Mac. A guy at the Apple Store was able to install Leopard on my PPC G4 iBook for free even though it wasn't even supported anymore. He installed through the network.

/thread

I don't know why it isn't working for you. I have Sierra installed and it has never not worked for me. I installed Homebrew on my old eMac (Leopard) many years ago and it didn't work for me, but now, since I'm using the latest version of Sierra, it has never stopped working.

You're obviously a child, OP. Just saying.

Maybe the packages they wanted to install didn't have packages on Homebrew and Homebrew might not have packages available for earlier versions of Mac OS. I don't know, but it worked for me.

Strange, must be something on my end. Well, sorry, I blamed the software for my error

I'm any case, I'm glad macports was able to fix it.

Homebrew is mostly used by developers and other professionals. This does mean that irc clients and screenfetch tools are not high priority. It's intended for people who are busy making things, not people taking screenshots of their rice setups to post in Sup Forums.

In**

Bro

Reboot and hold CMD+R whole booting. You should be able to download the newest OSX from the bootloader

And ruin any chance of keeping this thing's performance? No thanks.

I just made a setup that goes like this

>iBook with working DVD drive w/ OSX Install CD
>Wired ethernet connection on iBook
>Wired ethernet connection on Mac Mini
>Mac Mini in target disk mode

now what the fuck do I do

Start taking cocks up your ass to get the full Mac experience.

This