Battery preservation tips

What's the best way to make a modern laptop/smartphone battery degrade slower ? I can't find any reliable source on this.

Should the battery be kept around 80 % ? Always plugged in when possible ? Go down to 0 % before charging to 100 % again ?

Grayscale mode

Just don't use it.

>battery degrade slower ?
50% (aprox 3.8V/cell) charge and disconnect.
Like that battery can store for 10 years without loosing much capacity.

just use it normally

Keep the battery under 20ยบ C

I'm not colorblind and colors are useful.
I should have mentioned I want to actually use these devices.
"normally" meaning "as is most convenient for you" ? I'm asking because what's most convenient for me is leaving it plugged almost all the time, which I read is detrimental.
Hard when you game on that laptop.

Deep discharge is not a concern with modern batteries. You should worry much more about continuous high discharge and above all temperature.

>should have mentioned I want to actually use these devices.
Then use, don't discharge to zero, and charge to 100%, try to use charges as much as possible.

Lithium batteries run into problems when you keep them at maximum charge, or completely and totally discharge them.

These are far less of an issue than they were a few years ago. Practically speaking, just don't worry about it. You can buy a new battery for well under 100 dollars. If you have to buy it after 3 years instead of 4, so fucking what?

Meaning I can use it until the battery reaches 0, but I shouldn't game on it ? Thanks.
i not undarstood dis
>don't discharge to zero
OK
>try to use charges as much as possible
...meaning I should discharge to 0 ?
Or do you mean I should plug it as much as possible ?

>Lithium batteries run into problems when you keep them at maximum charge, or completely and totally discharge them.
OK, that kinda contradicts what the others said.
>These are far less of an issue than they were a few years ago. Practically speaking, just don't worry about it.
Just what I'm doing right now.
>You can buy a new battery for well under 100 dollars. If you have to buy it after 3 years instead of 4, so fucking what?
Actually I don't care if it dies in four years, I just want to keep as much battery life as possible until I finish college (3 years). Then I'll get paid and be able to change batteries if necessary.

The battery meter on your operating system doesn't represent actual discharge. They retain about 3.2 volts in the cell at all times, well within safe levels. So use it to your heart's content, but keep it cool (not on your lap) and don't play your vidya on battery power

Didn't know about the 3.2 volts, thanks.

>Or do you mean I should plug it as much as possible ?
Yes. Just use wall power, when available.

Actually, you can do whatever you want, because modern batteries are quite shit and quite durable at same time. They won't last for 30 years, like NiCD would, but Li-ion batteries don't really care much about charging, they forgive very much things, unlike NiMH and NiCD.

I mean, if you are seriously paranoid about it, just bring a cord with you and remove the battery any time there is an outlet nearby.

>OK, that kinda contradicts what the others said.
It's part of the chemical makeup of Lithium batteries. There's a whole lot of really ugly chemical processes involved that I really don't want to get into, but lithium batteries DO get damaged if they are overcharged. The way this happens in a pack is that them gradually drifting out of sync and one carrying too much or far too little charge. Modern battery management systems are conservative enough about overcharging and decent enough at charge leveling that it's seldom a problem.

I guess if you really wanted to you could do a deep drain and full charge followed by light use if you want. This will 'level' the battery charges. More often than that is probably a waste of effort. In fact it's probably a waste of effort to do that, but if you're paranoid, sure why not.

>I mean, if you are seriously paranoid about it, just bring a cord with you and remove the battery any time there is an outlet nearby.
Can't do that, it's a XPS. Thanks for the details.

Why are you such a pathetic fuck that you can't google? What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you really think getting random opinions on the matter is going to help you?

google lithium polymer or lithium ion and stop being a drop kick needing everyone to hold your hand to use the bathroom.

With all the shit that goes on these days, It's hardly worth trying to optimize.

>Why are you getting random opinions from an online forum instead of getting random opinions from some stupid website written by pajeets ?
There's always a retard like you to shut down useful discussions. If you want a board full of stupid recycled memes and "AMD BTFO" threads just go elsewhere.

Irrelevant. You'd only expand your battery life by half a year, when you can just buy another that will last you 3 more years. There are no tips. Current day batteries work well.