/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCes2uiC-4xSBwqnldCFbh4Q
gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/
github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh#manual-installation
b-ok.org/book/2612723/154e55
netrunner.cc/
archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_pUPnGO
pupngo.dk/xwinflpy/output.iso
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

katie is qt

Support Netrunner /fglt/, is a minimalist browser and can work in the terminal

Yup, it's there.

Any idea what the fuck is going on then?

Does it actually work yet?

Yes, but the javascript engine is still being worked on youtube.com/channel/UCes2uiC-4xSBwqnldCFbh4Q

>Any idea what the fuck is going on then?
barely
my last idea is trying to set ZDOTDIR explicitly (although if it's empty - it should pick up files from $HOME by default)
try running
ZDOTDIR=$HOME zsh
and doing "echo $ZSH" in that zsh instance

>zesty
Your mirror doesn't have zesty: gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/
I guess they removed it because it's EOL
>As far as I know 17.04 is an LTS version
Nope, only even major versions are LTS: 16.04, 18.04 etc

Now I miss kde 4. Oxygen looks messed up on plasma 5

Also, have you tried manual installation? github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh#manual-installation

Oh, okay. I was mistaken, I believed n.04 was LTS and and n.10 was not. Thankyou.

I don't think that did anything

Sadly I have

What about netrunner is, or will be, better than dillo?

ehh, is the ~/.oh-my-zsh folder even in place? If the ZSH var is set, everything should be getting picked up by the "source $ZSH/oh-my-zsh" line in .zshrc

1. How to fix the theming inconsistency on the "All apps" button ?
2. Why is gnome-shell eating 50% CPU?

Hi all! Newbie to this whole linux thing.

I am very interested if anyone can point me to a pdf of `Rebel Code', a book on the history of GNU/Linux.

In a bit of irony, it is not free ;)

There's a reason why there are daily GNOME hate threads. Disable all effects including within extensions because they may be causing memory leaks (most notably window previews)

There you are my friend.
>b-ok.org/book/2612723/154e55

My Manjaro Cinnamon install keeps shitting itself all over the bed
Why the fuck does this keep happening
Also, this is on my secondary SSD in the caddy in my T420 so that shit just reboots into the Windows Botnet on the primary SSD if secondary is not detected or if Manjaro fails to/doesn't boot
How do I fix this bullshit

how come this comes up when I try to start cmus?
cmus: cmus is already listening on socket /run/user/1000/cmus-socket

From a freetard (no offense intended, just trying to really make people know who I'm talking about) point of view, are games and music okay?

Most games not open source and I really don't know if music can be considered open source or not

I've been a linux user for quite a while, but due to work reasons I've never ventured much outside of my ubuntu/debian convention for workstations, arch for home servers convention, Since I'm getting a little bored of Ubuntu, what's a good new distro I can give a shot?

>how come this comes up when I try to start cmus?
>cmus: cmus is already listening on socket /run/user/1000/cmus-socket

First off: Why do you want to use Manjaro?

You are the best! Thanks. Only new about bookfi when I searched before so appreciate your competence.

well gee thanks for the help

You cant play games because the source isnt offered and the license isnt gpl

You cant listen to music because the hardware used to create and mix the music is proprietary and not licensed with gpl

>keeps shitting itself all over the bed
I have no constructive answer for you, I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate this sentence. It gives a whole new visual tone to the phrase "shitting the bed".

I unironically recommend arch to people after they tried some of the more mainstream linux distros.

Not having to deal with OS updates is seriously great if you ever did one and having new versions of software is always nice.

Not to mention the aur makes installing 99% of the stuff around a breeze.

Only case I won't recommend arch is if you run mission critical software on the computer. In the off-chance shit hits the fan it can get a little ugly, but I haven't had any issues ever with updating.

>Mfw finding out there is no Linux driver for AMD cards that support hdmi audio until the 4.15 kernel which isn't out yet
Wow I almost thought Linux was good for a sec

>mfw now no one will help me because someone replied to my post and they think it's answered

get a drive that isn't dying

But the error message tells you exactly what your issue is.

>french
Why are you even here when you could be sucking all the dick and sticking a baguette up your ass?

it says here netrunner.cc/
>Local cache
>Non-bloated smooth UI
>Written in C++
>Low on dependencies
>HTTPS with HTTP fallback and ports management like Smart HTTPS and HTTPS by default
>Bookmark management
>Userscript support
>"Open with" feature to use an external application, like for using a video player
>many more.....
I do recall many more killer features mentioned on the threads here on Sup Forums

Then how do I quit cmus to start a new process?

I enjoy Fedora, just add rpmfusion and pick a version with Cinnamon or KDE. It's pretty comfy. I have had a few hardware bugs but all in all pretty easy and good

No sale until the dev tools are Chrome level

>chrome

Alpine

>yourfavoriatesearchengine
>"how do i kill a process in linux"

see if i can Sup Forums from red star os

thanks

PCLinuxOS, pUPnGO, maybe Alpine. Do try some source based distro like Gentoo or sourcemage.

Looks like an interesting experiment going on.

GNU/Linux or OpenBSD for a laptop?

>Openbsd
Why would you run an insecure operating system?

to avoid illusions

gnu+linux

fishBSD isn't really for desktop/laptop use.

>security as a product

So, is Gnome DE (specifically Ubuntu 17.04) truly bad, or are most on Sup Forums just meming? Just looking for a reliable and easy experience. I have more than enough resources in the machine I'm installing it to.

XFCE is comfy

What is XFCE?

I have no idea what XFCE is or what it does, sorry.

if you share the same exact idea of what a de should do with gnome devs its fine, but for customization its pretty bad

I'm trying to access my encrypted 32bit Linux SSD from my old ThinkPad. I'm on a 64bit Win10 machine, and it's formatted in ext4 so I can't just use my SATA to USB and copy the files.

>durrr just copy the files
I've tried DiskInternal's Linux Reader, but it won't open my drive up (maybe because it's encrypted, but it won't even ask me for a password).

>hhuuurrr just boot from it and copy the files to an HD/USB
I can't, it simply won't boot up on this PC. IDK why, because it sure sounds like it is, but nothing displays and my monitor just goes to sleep.

How is it better than the existing terminal browsers? Some of these even have pretty heavy graphical support (which, yeah, kinda defeats the purpose but is still nice)

Boot a live usb
Decrypt files(luks? veracrypt? pgp?)
Copy files

make a linux live install on a flash drive then access the hard drive from there

Is Void suitable for use as a daily driver?

Could I move exclusively to cli applications in this days?

archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_pUPnGO
Toying with this ultra minimal distro, so far I liked pupngo.dk/xwinflpy/output.iso
Includes
jwm Win95 clone window manager,
retawq (fast!) text mode web browser,
EITHER OXElmo email client,
OR rdesktop RDP client,
BUT NOT BOTH ON A FLOPPY
xcmd run bar,
edx text editor,
bcalc simple four function GUI/command line calculator
xcalendar date/day/time pop-up calendar.
Only 1.6MB!!

Soon

>insecure operating systems
>openbsd
>t. FSFnigger

>t. BSDshill

OpenBox is max comfy!

Could you install that wm on a ubuntu based distro?

Wallpaper please

Yeah is under the name jwm but not sure if it looks like that ootb

I've been trying some distributions in virtualbox and I think I like manjaro with the XFCE edition the best. However, I haven't been able to find a way to disable the shadow that desktop icon text has and it makes the text hard to read. Is there a way to change this?

how do i get that info that everyone posts in the desktop threads like OS/Kernel/Uptime etc

screenfetch

goodnight, virgins

god damn it i installed debian in VM and apparently i don't have any permissions

apt-get install gives me "unable to lock administration directory. are you root?" error

and sudo apt-get install tells me "command not found"

what did i do wrong?

gotta install sudo cause debian is retarded
first you need to edit your sources.list and comment out the line that mentions the install cd so it doesnt complain it cant find it in case you already wiped it. then you can use su to go install sudo

>The state of Sup Forums

Did you install sudo?

no, i was using the small net installation thing so i thought it downloaded everything necessary

ok thanks

I'm trying to get arch to work on my laptop, but systemd boot says it can't find my vmlinuz-linux file (error loading \boot\vmlinuz-linux: Not found). I mounted my root partition to /mnt, and boot partition to /mnt/boot, and my arch.cfg has "linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux" in it. What am I doing wrong?

What laptop?

Easy mode to overclock my monitor fro 60 to 75Hz?

Nvidia panel has this option on Windows, but not on Linux.

XPS 15 9560, people have gotten it working on this model before. I feel like I'm missing something obvious

>systemd
Found you're problem right here

Does Funtoo still miss some ABI stuff from Gentoo making it hard to have a full multilib system?

Your bootloader is probably hooked to a wrong partition.

Indeed, user, Openbox is max comfy, both standalone or as an expanded LXDE

Yes if all you do is browse the web and do small things like that. It lacks packages, it comes outright broken out of the box and god knows what else, i didn't bother trying further. If you are looking for Libre, go with Parabola or Devual, if you are looking for SystemDicks free-distro, check out AntiX, MX, Slackware, Gentoo or do Debian without systemDicks

Don't know if you're still around, but it should be linux /vmlinuz-linux. Paths with systemd-boot are relative to the boot partition.

>says it can't find my vmlinuz-linux file (error loading \boot\vmlinuz-linux: Not found)

Not a single distro has a file name like this.
The file should be either vmlinuz or vmlinuz-version (like vmlinuz-4.15.2)
I have a feeling someone fucked up something in your grub config and used
vmlinuz-`uname -s`
rather than
vmlinuz-`uname -r`

What are you talking about? Arch uses vmlinuz-linux and doesn't even use grub.

>Arch uses vmlinuz-linux
The memery levels of arch never fail to amuse me.

i have no sound on fresh debian install.
How do i get sound to work?

as I recall debian only comes with free fw, maybe you're chip needs non free firmware you could download the package from a repo if you have the non free ones in your sources list depending on your chip.

meant your not you're

>console, no root
>alsamixer
>go to analog out and change outputs until you hear something

Protip: dont have the headphones on while changing the volume

Well, i guess I could see two different stances on music:
1. Music isnt software, so whatever
2. Only listen to music that is licensed by creative commons cc0 or By-SA which are compatible with GPL, (allowing remix and such, even for commercial use)

There are FOSS games, so a strict freetard might stick to those.

No, Debian isn't retarded, it's just that people like you don't know how to read. It explicitly says to not enter a root password when you're asked in order for it to automatically set up sudo.

I'm looking for either a way to make Ifran my default photo viewer in Ubutnu or to find a replacement for Ifran. Any ideas guys? The shit on Google hasn't been any help, it just tells me to run code that doesn't seem to do anything.

alsactl init

I don't know much about ifranviewer but feh is a decent cli picture viewer it doesn't work with gifs though, but it's lightweight and opensource!

Assume I'm using a meme distro and haven't found any good built-in way to handle this. So, starting from scratch, how can I make my laptop hibernate when it reaches 2% battery?

If you're a reasonable sane person who can deal with something that's new and slightly different to what they're used to, use GNOME.
If you're an autist who thinks that OS UI design peaked with Windows 95 and want an archaic "taskbar that no-one ever uses with old timey start menu you have to manually click through" then go xfce.

GNOME just werks, and its clean and modern. Most importantly it stays out of your way until you hit that super button because you lost track of your alt-tabbing and want to see what's open. I went Windows > XFCE > KDE > GNOME. I should've just started with GNOME to see if I liked it and ignored all the shilling.