2009 - 2012 was the peak for personal computers, anyone else notice how bland all the brands have become now?

2009 - 2012 was the peak for personal computers, anyone else notice how bland all the brands have become now?
>le future
>le cores
>le usb c
>le cloud
>le rams

not to mention all high end flagship laptops cost upwards of $1200+ and they all promote soldered RAM and being 2 MICRONS THICK with NO KEY TRAVEL as a feature.
Oh don't forget a fucking TOUCH SCREEN, you're paying for that even if you don't want it.

>not to mention all high end flagship laptops cost upwards of $1200+
>Thinkpad T60
>Price: $2,799 (as of 2/13/2006 at Lenovo.com)

i want to FUG ai-chan

what did you expect?

they're all running memebook reference hardware

The peak of laptops, yes. The peak of PCs, no.

The one thing I hate is the MUH THIN trend.
Why does every laptop need to be super thin now? All these thin laptops also usually have soldered RAM, soldered CPU, soldered SSD, soldered asshole...
Why can't we have laptops a bit more bulky, while also not throttling like a motherfucker, being fully upgradeable, and being durable.
Fuck, even thinkpads are screwing this up. I hear post Ivybridge they took out the ability to upgrade CPU.

>>le future
what do you mean by this

>If I put le in front of it that makes it bad
Future thinking designs are good
More cores are great
USB-C is god tier
The cloud is incredibly convenient
More RAM is literally never a downside
You also forgot to mention
>le good screens
>le long battery life
>le portability in my portable computers

yeah but ah, er, FUCK APPLE though?

Stop looking at thin shit. Gayman laptops are unironically nice now. Thick and easy to upgrade
Bought an Acer Nitro 5 with an SSD and it has an empty drive bay as well as an empty RAM slot to easily double system memory. Where the optical drive would be has been replaced with more battery

NVIDIA Optimus is still a mess. I'd rather have a single iGPU.

Still too BIG.
Need a 13" that's around 1" THICC

Because for the average consumer thin = cool, which is true to a certain extend but once it fucks with your ports and thermal throttles it becomes a considerable downgrade compared to old laptops.
And for the soldered parts, do you really think that people are upgrading their laptops in 2018? The current tech consumerism trends just invite you to buy a brand new pc everytime you want an upgrade (I guess we have to thank phones for that)

The meme of ssds as well.

here we have le faggot

It's been
>le future
>le cores
>le rams
for the past twelve years now, and before that,
>le cloccs
>le hard dicks drive

The only good thing coming out of all of this is Thunderbolt. It's about time that we had something better than ExpressCard become standard. That, and WAY better GPUs for laptops, since there aren't MXM gaming rigs or those coin niggers desoldering and reballing the chips onto desktop cards yet.

Worst memes right now:
>le glued battery
>le thin
>le ULV processor
>le "polycarbonate"

Honestly, I agree. I like my X220 a lot. I like some modern designs better, but I wouldn't sacrifice all those nice ports for some thin shit. And the idea of being able to disassemble and reassemble every single part without trouble, even being a retard at it is pretty nice.

My friend bought herself some trashy ASUS. Pricier than the T420. Slower. Had a really awful mechanical hard drive and didn't have drivers for anything below Windows 10. To make matters worse it keeps fucking showing blue screens and if you install the touchpad software the CPU usage gets to crazy levels. I had to open it to replace the drive with an SSD and it was shit. You have to take half of the thing apart to replace the fucking storage. It's terrible.

That's idiotic though compared to most of what OP mentioned.

Because MacBooks became the most sold laptops in the world.

>>le cloud
This one is just freaking annoying. I looked at some cheaper Chromebook the other day and then I see

> 32 GB SSD
> "cloud storage"

Screw that shit. If they were skimping out on SSDs and went 128 GB then I'd see that as a usable bare minimum and perhaps consider it. But 32 GB? On a computer? Seriously?

>Sup Forums has become so filled with underaged shits that they are literally feeling nostalgic for computers from 2009

What modern designs do you like?

This shit make sense for normal fags though because all they do is browse and maybe type stuff

In 2009 netbooks were so cheap they were giving them away with mobile internet access, and they came with 160GB hard drives instead of 32GB now. We need to go back.

Midget...

So they take up less space in your brief case you dumb fuck.

>The cloud is incredibly convenient
For you. Now fuck off, CIA.

>le it's exactly the same as it was before
>le even 2010s kids are becoming nostalgic faggots now

they stopped making CPU progress in 2010, so......

seems legit

That was Intel's last major IPC increase. In some cases, newer archs are actually *slower* per clock versus Haswell.

I liked 2007-2010 better.

Battery life in PC is about a thousand times better

This. As Louis rossmann points out very well, there's a big difference between weight and portability/mobility.

Balance is very important. An older thinkpad with an extended battery is amazing for this.

Rugged laptops have handles, but that's not portable for manlets like me.

So what? I'll just keep using my 2008 laptop for another 10 years? I think I'm about due for some new thermal paste but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it, and dirt cheap parts for it are as abundant as ever.

No, not really. I popped open a 9-cell battery pack from my T400 and put in fresh, high quality 3200mAh cells. I installed some power management extensions in Linux and I only have to charge it every other day, using it about 8-10 hours a day for word processing and web browsing. I recently bought a newer ASUS laptop that was advertised as getting 14+ hours of battery life and only got around 8 hours. I'd rather re-cell my own batteries every couple years than put up with false advertising and chinkshit.

>2009 - 2012
Business yes
Home no

Fucking home use PCs where trash and they still are.

Fucking buissness laptops from that time are god Tier and will never be met again. 10 years from now I will probably still be using my T430

SSDs are the best thing that's happened.

Enjoy snapping it in half homo

>Need a 13" that's around 1" THICC
owo

xps 13

If gaming laptops look like normal laptops of old they'd sell more of that shit but they look pure cringe

All of them are visually revolting

Yeah, so? Unless you think that the six-row keyboard and the 16:9 display and the flat palmrest are literally the cause of that battery life, you can't defend those things.

I don't think it's the consumers. I've never, ever heard of anyone saying "I like my new computer, I just wish it were thinner though". Everybody knows there are diminishing returns.
Here's the real version:

I can get an entire day out of my Surface just word processing and shitposting