Plug in external HDD

>Plug in external HDD
>start to feel it vibrating in my hand
>realize I forgot to set it down and then connect it
>now I'll have to move my hand extremely slowly and put it on my desk without the slightest bump or it's gonna be damaged forever

FUCK

>forget to safely eject ONE TIME
>MS asks if I want tot repair the file system
>say yes
>70% of data gone

Unplug it you fucking retard?

>unplugging a live HDD

>safely place disk back on desk
>drive continues spinning without interruption
Probably ham-fisted.

Can you install games onto an external hard drive?
what are the pros/cons of doing so.
Can anyone recommend a decent external hard drive?

Is it really that bad? With my old external which may die soon I wait until it spins down before unplugging it, but my new one doesn't stop even when it isn't in use for a long time so I just unplug it as soon as it says it's safe to eject it.

technically yes, they run like shit though. data read/write is your concern, and unless it's eSata or better then don't try anything harder than light emulation of some 90s games.

>3TB external HDD is always plugged in
>have accidentally tipped over the vertical enclosure twice now, thudding loudly on my desk each time
>stand it back up, nothing happens

What kind of shitty external hard drives are you using desu?

sata is plug&play

They're not that sensitive. Do you worry about moving your laptop when it's on?

>2018
>having hdd's in your laptop

>Plug external hard drive on laptop to backup my files.
>Accidentally bump into notebook and external HDD flops into the carpet floor falling almost a foot
>deeblygoncerned.png

This. Spinning rust in a laptop in the current year is one of the stupidest things you can do. It's just adking for trouble.

Oh balls I cant imagine how did people live with laptops that had HDDs in them

If no program reads/writes from/in it then nothing will happen.
You're a retard because:
1. Failed to install HDD into case
2. Plugs in his external HDD while holding it
3. Made this thread

You won't make it. Start looking other things to like instead of technology.

I've held my external HDDs in my hand and plugged them in and then set them on the table dozens of times. You just set it down carefully. Don't slam it down like an angry African child on coke and you won't break it, dumbass.

If it's at least a 7200RPM drive connected by SATA2, SATA3, or some version of USB 3, then yes. Most things will run fine from that.

Why do people pretend HDDs are so fragile? My laptop was in my car, turned on, when I had a car crash which ended with me in my car at the bottom of a river. An hour later after managing to get my laptop out I removed the battery and let it dry, then opened it up and the entire motherboard was rusted, but still worked a couple of times office stopping, I then put the HDD in another laptop and I'm still using it 3 years later, no data loss, no bad sectors, still perfect.

I had a segate external HDD fall 6" off my case onto a plastic storage bin. Click of death, lost everything.

You got lucky, that doesn't mean that everybody else is going to get that lucky.

Rust is the worst.

Yes

That's why I switched to external SSD. Angry nerds get angry about USB3.0 bottleneck but that's not the point.

>Seagate
Your own damn fault. Every Seagate I've ever owned has gotten the click of death either spontaneously, or from slight knocks within a couple of years. Meanwhile I'm still using Samsung and western digitals that I bought pre 2009

I once was using my external disk drive during a live nuclear test which resulted in a 365km^2 area obliterated, and despite some minor radiation burns, my XHDD also worked fine. People are children.

Unless you were within the blast radius that's not impressive.

>put digital versatile disk into optical disk drive
>accidentally put it in off center
>crunches disk while closing
>more crunching and scraping noises as it attempts to spin up
>smoke starts to weep out of the drive tray