/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
pastebin.com/qqaUJMDC
pastebin.com/tA09k8Rq
sourcemage.org/
calamares.io/
ix.io/w6A
irfanview.com/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Graphical_9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Use clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Basic Source Mage GNU/Linux installation pastebin.com/qqaUJMDC
Improvised Source Mage GNU/Linux guide pastebin.com/tA09k8Rq

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

>still has proprietary blobs
kek

Where would I find that? confic file?
typing "/.config/" into the adress bar doesn't work

Free software is software that respects the user's freedom.

>I'd just use SNES9x.
It doesn't even have a GUI for selecting your roms and shit

I'm trying to run Warcraft IiI and vanilla WoW via Wine but i just can't.

Using a fresh Arch install and a NVidia card.

mv ~/.config/chromium ~/.config/chromium-backup
mv ~/.cache/chromium ~/.cache/chromium-backup

to get it back after testing
rm -rf ~/.config/chromium ~/.cache/chromium
mv ~/.config/chromium-backup ~/.config/chromium
mv ~/.cache/chromium-backup ~/.cache/chromium

The WoW errors.

Help me Sup Forums.

install mpg123 and lib32-mpg123

I did it, still getting errors.

missing mp3 codec
missing mp3 codec and opengl driver (remember to install the 32bit/multilib ones for them as well, since you're running 32bit windows programs, which means 32bit wine, which means 32bit libraries)

Surprisingly is the kernel itself, Linux, which comes with binary blobs, but that is why you can recompile it during installation!

When I installed Wine some opengl (and their 32bits equivalents) libraries was installed as depedencies for it. I dunno if the depedencies got all of them or if something is missing.

Tried install libmad for mp3 codec and still got nothing.

Install Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre today

"Hyperbola = Arch snapshots + Debian patches and development + GNU FSDG + Init Freedom + Privacy + LTS + Stability"

Opinions on Deepin?

i remember having trouble making opengl work with my previous nvidia card, but can't remember what it was
glad i'm not using an nvidia card now

once you get a distro like arch or gentoo installed and configured with the right programs, how often do you have to fix or reconfigure stuff?

>install Debian on a GTX 1050
>boots up in CPU rendering mode
>enable non-free repositories, install the proprietary drivers
>it explodes

Gonna try Ubuntu then it's off to W7 again.

Why is vi/vim said to be for more advanced users than just using nano?

You should have done Ubuntu first. Nvidia on anything but a babby distro is hard because Nvidia makes it hard. Intel and AMD do not have this problem.

Very rarely on Arch. On Gentoo you WILL end up with a broken system if you don't recompile every few months.

Nice

just remember to keep it up to date, take too long and you might skip over important replacements and the like
and remember to keep your config files up to date! (use etc-update)
i've been using arch since 2012 (a bit before the systemd changeover) and i've rarely had to fix something i didn't cause directly myself. i've had less trouble using arch than i did ubuntu and debian

Is the Fedora install able to help me automatically dual boot with my current install of Windows 10 in GRUB? Or will I need to manually add it to the boot list?

you can use os-prober with any distro

Windows 10 is literally spyware user.

I don't care about the meme nor the privacy.

Isn't os prober out dated?

>Isn't os prober out dated?
maybe, i haven't used it in years
i moved to just writing my own grub.cfg some time ago, it's actually pretty easy

Is there a way I can control which boot option grub will use without requiring a keyboard being plugged into the computer?
It would be nice if it was over the network, but I wouldn't be against putting something like a PCI serial card into the computer.

you could PXE boot grub (as in, load grub from a network instead of local storage, which of course means the server can supply any config it wants)

No, os prober detects Win10 just fine.
>it's still spyware though

Someone from /sqt/ sent me here telling me i have to run a 3D test to check for hardware acceleration.
Currently using Linux mint.

How would i do this?

Run "glxinfo" in a terminal and read the output.

Anyone runs GNU/linux on a tablet? I'm looking at the Cube Mix Plus but I'm not sure if it is mostly functional on GNU/linux. What do you recommend?

>X error of failed request: BadValue(Integer parameter out of range for operation)

Linux on x86 tablets generally works well. Linux on ARM tablets is an absolute shitshow unless the SoC uses an Adreno or Vivante GPU. The ARM Mali series has no open source drivers so you're left with abhorrent poorly QA'd vendor binaries.

Your shit's broken.

what Linux distro is most like Mac OS X?

Elementary OS.

But are there any specific models that work good? I've looked into the Cube Mix but most information is a little bit dated.

Please learn to do basic research about what's actually in the hardware you have or want, or you're not going to have a very good time on Linux. It took me literally 15 seconds to determine that the Cube Mix is x86 with an Intel GPU and should therefore work fine.

RedStar OS

So, apparently my SSD is "dying" / "failing", at least according to what of you one told me in the previous thread(s). And yet, Samsung Magician sees, reads and reports the drive as good and healthy
How the fuck is this SSD dying/failing? Can someone break down the errors in simpler terms for me, that I can understand? I don't believe the SSD is dying/failing on me... I just think/feel/believe that it's a faulty installation bearing some woes.... When I tried re-installing Antergos it reported an output that it's apparently "read-only" which I don't understand nor get one bit, at all, seeing as how my SSD's health is good and healthy......

By the way, my initial previous post from the other thread + Samsung Magician drive report

I know that, but I have no idea if it will support most of its hardware (specially the touchscreen) without setup, since there arent many sources on it. Also, I asked wondering if there were better options recommended by other people based on their experiences.

Thinkpad X220t is the gold standard for Linux compatibility.

Would that im running Linux out a LiveCD affect it somehow?

Both games are working fine now that i installed the lib32-nvidia-utils. My NVidia card is fine.

Have you run fsck.ext4 (filesystem check) or anything else like that to make sure it's not a filesystem error instead of a drive error?

Why doesn't this damn installer ever work? every distro that offered this failed to install the bootloader

calamares.io/

#
it's not that don't listen to them
>cd ~/Games/WoW/
>wine WoW.exe -opengl
use gallium nine if can
also fix your fonts leo ix.io/w6A
or at least enable rgb

#
never also there's really not much to configure
you can also -Syu every hour or once a year and it will be fine

it's not that don't listen to them
>cd ~/Games/WoW/
>wine WoW.exe -opengl
use gallium nine if can
also fix your fonts leo ix.io/w6A
or at least enable rgb

never also there's really not much to configure
you can also -Syu every hour or once a year and it will be fine

Does Linux have any kind of protection against infected external media? Would getting me a small burner laptop/pi be good enough to say, plug flash drive extract files and nuke said burner laptop/pi without infecting any other PCs?

So fucking true, fuck that piece of shit

>open plebbit in IceCat
>Gah. Your tab just crashed.
So, this is the power of GNU/meme.

You should be glad it crashed

>implying an attempt to contact read it doesn't count as a failure mode

The odds of random infections being able to do anything at all to your GNU/Linux machine are probably a billion to one. Especially if they were contracted from a non GNU/Linux machine, which I'm guessing they were based on the wording of your question.

I've never heard of anyone who got infected on a GNU/Linux machine, and I'm guessing if it's going to happen it's probably going to happen by connecting to a server that _detects_ your OS and modifies its attach method specifically for it.
There's no way you randomly picked up GNU/Linux specific exploits on a windows machine for instance.

But if you want to be ultra paranoid though then just copy the files with command line tools only and don't open them.

>install Debian on a GTX 1050
I know this wasn't what you meant, but...is it possible to install Linux to VRAM?

VRAM is volatile memory. You can't "install" anything to it with any persistence.
Ignoring that, the logistics of something like that would be pretty crazy. In theory, I could think of a way it might work, but I doubt there is any way it would currently work.

You probably don't have the right drivers loaded.

Someone once cracked open an HDD and discovered the drive controller was a Marvell ARM SoC. They installed Linux on to the drive controller itself. Imagine that the next time you're worried about the NSA.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

Holy shit, Sway is awesome now.
>Qt and Gtk bugs fixed
>scaling settings obeyed
>CSD suppressed for everything, by default, automatically
>weird CPU usage spikes gone
>better handling of floating windows
I'm switching from GNOME.

Are you talking about the wlroots branch or master?

0.15. wlroots should be even better.

Yeah, but it's such a huge change to sway, I imagine shit would be a bit janky for the first wlroots release.
I've actually worked on the wlroots codebase a fair bit, although I haven't done shit lately.

stallman you need to get on your knees and repent!!
repent to mr god!!!

>Mandrake changes its name to Man Driver
>no longer considered a serious distro
Fucking why

Mandrake was never considered a serious distro.
No downstream distro is a serious distro.

The indentation of my text files gets messed up when I view it on some websites that I upload them to. What could be the cause of this?

I am using spaces for indentation. The files have double the indentation on some lines and on some it's normal. Is there a way to analyse my files to see what's wrong with them?

you must be a redhat/fedora user

No. Fedora is downstream too.

What's a noob-friendly distro with the most up to date packages?

What do you usually do when you need a newer version of a package than the one in the repo? Do you install and update it manually?

MCC Interim Linux ?

Never mind.
Turns out my files used tab characters, even though I set my texteditor (vim) to expand tabs to spaces. I have no idea how those tabs got in there.

Solved it. In case some ancient civilization stumbles upon this in the future: it was the file I edited.
I was changing the sample PKGBUILD file for Arch's package creation tool. That file uses tabs and I unknowingly combined them with spaces when I made my changes.

I'm looking for either a way to make Ifran my default photo viewer in Ubutnu or to find a replacement for Ifran. Any ideas guys? The shit on Google hasn't been any help, it just tells me to run code that doesn't seem to do anything.

What's Ifran?

Pretty awesome.
irfanview.com/

Are you dyslexic or just pretending to be retarded?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Graphical_9
Nomacs is what I switched over from IrfanView. It's free software and does the things that I need (and more which I don't need).

Also, the fact that you are using Wine to run something as simple as an image viewer doesn't bode well for your intelligence. Just stick to Windows to solve your problems.

I currently playing Diablo 2 with wine, but in battle.net, I often have some laggs (not GPU related, more related to the network). When I teleport I see it clearly, and whenever someone joins the game, I always experience it

Any idea ?

How do I config my i3 so that my brightness keys work?
I found out with xev that fn + f5 and fn + f6 gives me keycode 233 keysym 0x1008ff02, XF86MonBrightnessUp (and down).
What lines should i add in i3 config this so that i could make brigthness keys work?

Second question. From my i3 status bar, it seems that my x250 with debian is not recognizing second battery.
After I pull out battery, percentage stays the same. Does anyone know anything about this?

Is there a way to get Caps Lock to function as both Escape and Control in the Linux shell? Like an xcape but without having to run X? I wanna mess around the tty without a DE for a while.

since there is no mpv thread up: does anyone know some good options/encoders to make a video/audio stream look as good as possible with a 2G connection (max 7KiB down), I already have it working which is pretty cool but it could use some optimization
using opus/libvpx (vp8) right now

Source Mage? You mean more autistic Slackware for roleplayers who "cast" their "spells" from their "grimoire"? Grow the fuck up

I'm too stupid for Wine. How do I install missing fonts, if this is possible to repair. The program i'm trying to use is ImageGlass. I'm using ubuntu 16.04

>xinput --set-prop 8 "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 100
WHY IT DOES LITERALLY FUCKING NOTHING I TRIED ON 2 DIFFERENT FUCKING MOUSES
XFCE MOUSE SETTINGS "SENSITIVITY" ALSO DOES SHIT
WHY SHITNUX CANT EVEN HANDLE MOUSE PROPERLY

Because it offers more options for manipulation, but they are in fact not better or worse than Nano since Nano is pretty damn good once you set it up. Children just like to fight over meaningless things because they lead meaningless lives.

Mint

What can I do to optimize, debloat and save as much power as possible on my Ubuntu. Do I start with a wm and if so which would be the best for this job. Also I know I have to change the distro as well but I'm a complete beginner and first prefer to see how its done on the easiest distro.

Works on my machine, weather i am rocking a mouse or a touchpad, Xfce hasn't failed me yet.

Download cpufrequtils. Go to /etc/ and do nano cpufrequtils (or wherever it is in /etc, it might be in /etc/default). Change the default governor to conservative as it is something inbetween powersave and ondemand. Use powersave if you want true power saving but with a price of performance going down. After doing that, type into bash "sudo update-rc.d ondemand disable" to prevent Ondemand from refreshing itself as your default governor.

Next, download laptop-mode-tools, powertop or tlp. I recommend laptop mode tools, which slow down your HD spin and limit writing to it. To configure it graphically, do lmt-gui-config or just find it in your applications menu. You can also use powertop and tlp with laptop mode tools, but be wary of conflicts.

Lastly, lower your brightness to ~50% because laptops waste most power from 1% to 50%, after that it is negligable. You can find more on it on google, but that is how i prolonged my battery life from 4 to 6 hours on ~3k mAh

i wanna try this

To check if your governor is conservative, do "cpufreq-info" in bash, it is a cpufrequtils tool. If it is not, you can set it by force (or any governor for that fact).

Make a script that says:

SUBSYSTEM=="module", ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="acpi_cpufreq", RUN+=" /bin/sh -c ' echo (insert governor name here) > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor ' "

the file that has those lines it in put into init.d folder in /etc and run "sudo update-rc.d (script name) enable" and it should enable it on boot.

I'm not on a laptop but still just don't find a reason to waste so much energy and my bill will be lower. Thanks for the info it sounds really great but how much performance am I going to really lose, I use it mostly for reading, watching some video on youtube or using LMMS. Its really light work so I feel like I can really minimize my power and my specs are decent for this I think(i5 4440 with 8gb ram).

Loss of power is determined by cpu frequency your cpu is running. Powersave sets to "always lowest" which makes it drag like a motherfucker. Ondemand only raises cpu frequency on tasks and drops it if no tasks are present. Conservative is same as Ondemand but raises your cpu frequency bit by bit, instead of jumping to highest as Onedemand does and Performance just...well sets it to max all the time.

Again, to check min/max possible settings/governors, type in "cpufreq-info" after downloading cpufrequtils

You would actually be perfectly fine with those specs on powersave. If i am correct, Intel cpu-s only have 2 modes, performance and powersave, so act acordingly