/pcbg/ - PC Building General

News: Ryzen APUs will release on Feb. 12. The 2200G (99USD) and 2400G (169USD) are similar to the R3 1300X and R5 1500X respectively in cores/threads+clockspeed, but they have integrated graphics. The 2200G has 8 Vega CUs and the 2400G has 11 CUs, so they're in the same performance tier as the RX 550 (8CUs) or GT 1030.

=====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/PCFDCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/R9XT4C
youtube.com/watch?v=1O_4bOSSTcU
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/39mnm8
rbt.asia/g/thread/63675997/#63679321
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-313-712
pcpartpicker.com/list/RVrZVY
youtube.com/watch?v=kPdtKlPr0ho
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>build my first pc a few months back
>receive letter from newegg that I need to pay sales/use tax
I can just ignore this right? Unless they send your info to the state, I don't see how they would enforce it.

I am in the process of shopping to build a PC. I have a list that is pretty cheap for a decent computer but I just want to get your input on it. I am using it for LoL, WoW and some Python on the side.

pcpartpicker.com/list/

pcpartpicker.com/list/PCFDCy

Sorry if messed up on link.

evo 850 or 860? Either 250 or 500gb, I'm just gonna use it in a laptop as the main drive.

Should be fine

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

Why aren't there any good ITX AM4 motherboards? Actually, why do all motherboards have retarded VRM "heatsinks" that look like they actually counteract the purpose of a heatsink. Seriously, wtf is going on in those chinks' brains? Are the installed ones hard to pull off without damage? I figure I might as well just replace them with actual heatsinks and just use any cheap board

Good but for $200 more you could go for a 2200g when they're released and upgrade from there (another ddr4 kit, a 1050 ti or a 1060). The 1200 here is a placeholder for the 2200g, try going for a s340 instead of that case.
pcpartpicker.com/list/R9XT4C

Almost exactly what I'm posting from right now (cpu, ram, cooler, hdd, 280x gpu) Works like a charm.

Who knows? If I recall, Gigabyte's X470 board demo had real heatsinks.

It does and it looks like other companies are moving towards them also
I know EVGA x299 dark has fans on their vrm heatsink

>cheapest 6gb 1060 is $350

Used 770-780Ti or 970-980 are your best options

What? They're wanting you to pay tax to them? If so then just ignore it the burden of collecting tax for a sale is on the merchant if they didn't collect it at the time of sale that's their failure not yours

>used

>buying a gpu some crypto fag has burnt up
good goy

Kepler and Maxwell aren't as efficient as Pascal, so mining with them is a rare sight.

Under realistic loads what CPU and GPU temperatures are fine until one should start getting worried?

70 is alright but not "good", 80 or over and you need to fix something. 90+ and there are performance hits.

On the stock cooler my R5 1600 hits 62 at most with my usage so that seems okay. A Noctua NH-U12S is coming in next week as I want to take the overclock a bit further, but not enthusiast levels. I think I'll be okay in this department.

My GPU gets to 70 max, but it's the single fan variant of the 1060 by EVGA, the SC (which is ACX so it blows back into the case). I guess that's just by nature?
The only fans I have are 2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust with the intakes positioned as close to center over the GPU and CPU. Theoretically adding more of which will help with keeping the temp down? I have space for a third at the front and 2 along the top.

I have a U12S on my 1600 which is at 3.95GHz/1.45V and it runs just fine
You don't need any extra case fans, because more airflow past 2 fans has minimal returns.

i can dig it if LoL is all you really need it for. would get a bit more ram doe just cause i like to disable the page file when im using an SSD.

Arctic Freezer 33 CO is the way to go!

also running an R5 1600

No, they are telling me to pay tax to the RI division of taxation.

>mfw all my PC builds are frankensteins because I'm a weird mofo with specific tastes and do not fall for memes that easily.

>I.E. My keyboard is an old PS/2 IBM, last gen CRT on top of some discarded broken cvd and cd drive units. Last night I modded my own GPU card for better cooling with some lollipop plastic sticks, crazy glue and a bigger fan.

True horror stories bro.

Pretty bad if you ask me. You get more performance and upgrade potential from a modern platform, like AM4 or 1151v1 or v2. The downside is the expensive RAM, but you'll have to contend with the cost of having to ditch the whole platform including RAM next time you want to upgrade.

For 99USD you can have WAY better performance with the new 2200G on AM4, and on the onboard graphics component will be decent (not really that much worse than than the R9 270X). You could use that for a while instead of buying a card in this market.

There are other options as well, all better than buying AM3+. As an FX 6350 owner, I can tell you that there are certainly better hardware solutions (on a value and price/perf basis) to achieve your goals that with that old hardware.

If you have the mobo already from a previous build, just sell it and start fresh.

Doesn't matter. Check lifespan and get the longer one, as long as the price is close

>Get told not to install Windows 7
>Try to do it anyway
>Have to use old ps/2 keyboard
>Port feel really tight
>Plug it in and push pretty hard
>Computer doesn't even shut down it just turns off
>Have to switch PSU off and on a couple of times and then it boots up again

Did I break something?

>Being this rude to PS/2
Probably only my heart, user, probably.
Were you able to install win7?

>only my heart

Somehow this pains me more ( ._.) Nah, but it's probably because I'm a brainlet. It got as far as install now, but then it tells me that no device drivers were found as soon as I tried to install it. I know it's possible, but I can't seem to get past that problem.

Is the AM4 the best chioce for futureproofing currently?

I need to buy a new drive to keep back ups of old shit and a bunch of movies that i play on other devices via lan.

is it safe to order and HDD online?. i have always been told to handle HDDs with care and avoid bumping them. i am paranoid to order them online because i know just how careless a courier can get when it comes to handling them.

am i misinformed? (btw prices are in dude weed cuck bux)

Is PC building dead for awhile?
youtube.com/watch?v=1O_4bOSSTcU

ryzen? msi board?

Depends.. AMD's 8 cores might never beat the i7 8700K at gaming. If you're video rendering, yes AM4.

Hey guys whats the monitoe with th deepest blacks you know of? Somewhere I read VA monitors are the ones with best blacks.

Well just don’t buy seagate and you are fine.

pretty sure its OLED

How did I do goys?

This is what I bought:
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/39mnm8
Ordered everything about 2 weeks ago so the pricing on my link is out of date.

Would also like to mention:
>bought this to edit videos and play a few current games at 1080p on whatever settings run smooth
>will upgrade the GPU and move the 1050ti to a SFF Dell if and when there is a price break on higher end GPUs
>have a bunch of HDDs and a spare SSD which is why I bought such a massive case
>havent overclocked CPU or GPU and RAM is at 2966
>this case was the cheapest thing with a shitload of HDD bays, never thought i would ever buy a Rosewill but i took a risk and im not dissapoint

The crypto currencies are getting hit pretty hard lately so most likely not for very much longer
Ram is still fucking stupid though

Usually that means you didn't embed the USB drivers correctly your USB image

see rbt.asia/g/thread/63675997/#63679321

Ouch, how much did you pay for the 1050Ti?

w2b: inside information on when i can buy an amd gpu for under 2x msrp

h: gf

265 canuck bux

give me o e good reason why i should keep putting up with dells rediculous price hikes on this monitor when i can get a 4k one for 100 dollars cheaper

higher refresh rate and gsync
plus you likely can't run anything at 4k

>not getting an ultra wide for that price
fag

yes but its approaching 500 dollars and i have no idea why they are hiking the price of a monitor this old at this point i might as well buy one of the 700 dollar asus ones cause by thr time my refund comes in this wil cost the same

here is specs i should be able to run some games at 4k or maybe slighty lower rssolutions

where do i find an ultrawide for this price that isnt korean bullshit

You might be able to just like I could but its nicer playing at 165 frames and 2k resolution especially since you don't have to upscale any newer games which looks like shit

I just ordered a 8700k with an Asrock z300 board, forget the exact model name. I've been looking into 1440p monitors and the LG32GK is what I'm leaning towards. How well will this monitor pair with a EVGA 1070 SC? I'll mainly be playing PUBG and other shooters.

why the bloody hell are you spending almost 900 dollars on a 1440p monitor?

Is 1050ti the lowest i should for a GPU and what CPU will be the best match for it??

you could find similar monitors for much cheaper
also the 1070 isn't going to do much good on a 1440p monitor at 144hz especially not in PUBG with its dogshit optimization

No, you can go for a 1050/560 at bare minimum but it depends on what you are coming from.

See: www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Find your current card and at least go up 3 tiers to see upgrades that would make sense

>what CPU
1200/2200G

i currently have a i5 6600k, overclocked at 4.7ghz stable
issue: im using the igpu, runs a 1200p and a 1080p display perfectly fine. when im playing csgo if someone throws smoke im instantly cucked. whats the cheapest card i can get to not do that? im thinking 1030 because shits unaffected by miners. i can also go used so a 750ti also works, which is better?

Why should I build in this current climate? All monetary benefit of doing so has evaporated, and buying a prebuilt at least gets you a warranty of sorts.

Go for the used 750ti if it's a decent price, it's around 20% better than the 1030.

I play csgo on a 6770 which is fairly similar to your iGPU, I'm hoping the 1050's drop a bit down or I might just get a used 750 TI too.

>which looks like shit
Would upscaling 1080p -> 2160p even be noticeably worse than straight 1080p? And why?

Because:
- Prebuilt have shit mobos
- Prebuilts have shit hdds
- Prebuilts have shit cases
- Prebuilts have shit PSUs
- Prebuilts have shit airflow

However right now you can get the low end side of gaming with the 2400G chips until the GPU craze stablelizes.

I have tried to play at 1080p on my 1440p monitor and it looks really bad
I don't have the same issue with my 1080p monitor that I play ps3 on

it may just be me but it looks bad and I don't really know why that is

This. Go for a 1050 if possible, it's worth it

Oh look, poozen btfo by i3 once again.

just werks for me m8

it cant even emulate ps2 games its designed not to on purpose

but im not emulating ps2 games...

you shouldnt buy from manufacturers who purposfully gimp their products

Stop talking out of your ass user, Ryzen chips do emulation just fine
I could say the same to you about your brand of choice

prove it jackass i will never buy from a brand that limits me limits are bad

Nevermind him, he's a little slow

>i3 matches i7 average frame rate

really fires my neurons

Listen pajeet, I know you have intel chips to sell but you shouldn't be this direct with your approach

damn did someone disable all the other cores to get that high of an overclock?

Suggestions for 256 GB SSD on a MSI z97 gaming 3? Will be installing OS to it and maybe whichever game I'm currently playing. Budget is $200 max.

Can I use this with my CL14 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ at full speed?

Team Dark Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01 newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-313-712

Get a 500gb 960 evo

Okay I see that the final number in the timings is 3 lower than the G.Skill. I can just make it slower to match and be fine since CL14 is pretty much guaranteed to all be Samsung, right?

This. If you don't mind it being a little slower than a 960 go for a mx300

Ryzen can run up to 4.2 GHz in pure stock form on 1 core using XFR, so it’s not too far-fetched.

Won't my mobo bottleneck a 960 though? My mobo only supports PCIe gen2 x2

Im putting together a mini itx workstation with a Ryzen 1700. I’m not an autistic gaymer but I would like to have 4K playback for my movies and what not. Is there an alternative to the gt1030? I need something that is passive cooling with great Linux drivers but cheap.

>ryzen would be better if it was capable of 4.5ghz overclock*
>*according to fucking userbench
>*ignoring the fact it would burn your house down
>*ignoring the fact it won't be possible until at least zen3
really makes you think

hey fucknugget i meant a video of ryzen as flawlessly as poosible emulating ps2 not some graph that means nothing limpdick

Need help, what's a good board in place of this one? It looks nice but don't know if worth the price. Also do I really need 3600 ram? what is a good sweet spot for ram today?

pcpartpicker.com/list/RVrZVY

Also looking for a cooler recommendation.

4.5ghz should be possible on zen2
also you forget that they also improve the performance itself, not only the clocks

>4.5ghz should be possible on zen2
leaked info show only 0.2ghz more in r5 2600

>what is a good sweet spot for ram today?

And the engineering samples only clocked at 3ghz so what's your point?

>i-it's just an e-engineering sample
like clockwork

Thanks I had 2133 before. First wanted to go to 2666 but any certain brand or kit you can recommend - need at least 16gb.

>build new PC
>buy 512GB 960 Pro NVMe drive on Tuesday to replace rapidly aging 120GB Kingston drive for OS
>it doesn't show up in bios or disk management
>too busy/tired with work to sit around and figure it out, go about my business and just ignore it until the weekend
>reboot PC well over a dozen times this week installing various updates and rectifying glitches, drive never shows up
>reboot yesterday before going to work for the night, don't stick around to check it out
>go to disk management a few minutes ago
>drive finally showed up ready to rock and roll with no explanation

It's a Ryzen cpu, but an Asus board.

How do I do that though? When it tells me there's no device drivers I get an X: drive show up and I can browse all the files and folders on the USB, but it doesn't bring up anything I can use. Do I have to download the USB drivers completely separately from the ISO? No wonder I was told not to try and install W7.

Someone in the last pcbg said the new Ryzen integrated graphics was gonna be 1030 quality.

according to third party benchmarks, it's better than a 1030
youtube.com/watch?v=kPdtKlPr0ho

>Computer doesn't even shut down it just turns off
Power surge protection working as intended.
>hot-plugging a ps/2

Might jump amd, but I'm worried about advanced compatibility. How are my Chinese linux/android opensources going to work if most of them are intel "only"? And I heard rams don't always work with AMD.

Why not build it around a Ryzen 3 CPU instead? It'll only cost you like 20 or 30 more $

Ram always works. The question is whether it will work at its rated speed. That's why you check to make sure your ram kit is on the QVL for the motherboard.
And AMD tends to be pretty good on Linux. Why go Intel? The creator of Linux himself has said publicly that Intel CPUs are garbage.

you guys know damn well someone is going to figure out how to use the new apus to do mining and their prices are going to skyrocket

I use Chinese soft that is broken on everything including intel. Will it even work on amd if they clearly state "intel only"?