I don't like GNOME but at least it fucking works

Other urls found in this thread:

userbase.kde.org/File:Settings-default-applications.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hello r3dditor
hows the shilling going?

>mfw this is the best Gnome shills can do
sage.

I've had the fucking power menu crash on me so I had to restart using the terminal. How do you fuck up that bad?

Rule 7

App Krash is a feature

Shills sure have been getting desperate since the outbreak of this whole Gnomegate scandal.

Don't you people ever get sick of complaining about desktop environments? It's a massive waste of time making 20 threads a day just shitting on gnome, KDE or any other desktop environment out there. The fact is that people have different taste in their desktop and that's never going to change.

This HAS to be a meme.
I've been using Arch with KDE since maybe 3 years ago and the only programs that have crashed on me are pamac and Libreoffice in a document with a fuckton of images, and that was almost 2 freaking years ago seriously.
Besides, those are not Qt applications so there.

Use a distro with updated packages.
This does not happen on a non retarded distro.
This happens when the qt and plasma package versions get de-coupled because your distro is run by faggots who hold packages back. You cannot blame the KDE project on this.

when stuff crashes on gnome it's usually the gnome-shell, which is also the compositor on wayland, which means you lose your entire session
kde is *way more* resilient to crashes
but gnome isn't a DE anyway, it's a framework for writing js desktop components
3/10, made me reply

I have NEON and work my old machine and new one perfectly

Have I missed something? What has gnome done now?

GNOME devs lied about server-side decorations not being possible with Wayland so that people will use client-side decorations

>works
KDE is good AS LONG as you stay AWAY from KMail.

and Discovery

and konqueror

Konqueror has been depricated for years.

Yeah but for some reason it's still included in some distros

>mfw moved from XFCE to KDE with a fresh install of Manjaro yesterday
>mfw Settings application has force closed twice
>mfw KWIN force closed after opening a text file
>mfw after suspend graphical artifacts on desktop icons and lock screen appear with nVidia proprietary drivers
>mfw this bug has been around since at least mid 2016

I want to like KDE, hell I even got rid of screen tearing better than I could with Xubuntu. But shit there are bugs. Using 5.11 and these issues still persist?

>inb4 nVidia

>be me, a year or two back
>install Fedora
>installation goes well
>boots you into desktop
>"unfortunately, GNOME has crashed"
Sure, gnome "works". The DE is completely retarded. KDE and Xfce are superior in every way.

>nvidia

openSUSE leap and debian are much better distros for gnome

>install kde
>try to set default browser
>doesn't save the setting and have to set it by the command line name
>uninstall kde

>programs constantly crash
>glitch artifacts on right click menu
>legitimately more bloated
I use kde but let's not act like it's good just because it's the least shitty.

It's extremely common for kde logout and shut down processes to crash, forcing you to hard reset your machine.
This is an unacceptable bug and has been an issue for way too long.

>Run Fedora 27
>Chromium and GIMP open
>3500MB Memory Usage
>GNOME Terminal takes 10 seconds to load neofetch command

pure garbage

This is unironically I bigger issue with kde.
Sucks it happened to you on gnome, but if you look at the forums and bug reports it's much more common in kde.

>uses linux
>not willing to use the terminal
sounds like you chose the wrong distro, not de.

Okay, but is there a response to the other issues?

Just noticed that by default there are no thumbnails of video files either in Dolphin. Thunar had thumbnails.

>Chromium and GIMP open
>3500MB Memory Usage
absolute fud.
for one, this is application dependent. GIMP hogs the same amount of resources on any DE.
I was home I'd screenshot my htop showing that these processes don't take up nearly this much.
Sounds like you have an underlying problem if the programs you launch are instantly hogging all of your resources.

ffmpegthumbs

Gnome doesn't fucking work

That's including GNOME-shell you knob

Fresh reboot I sit at 1800MB memory usage used by GNOME.

>blindly repeating the current meme
argue or gtfo. GNOME is the only de that works the way it's supposed to, it's just a little too bloated.

>Fresh reboot I sit at 1800MB memory usage used by GNOME
bull. shit.
I'd LOVE to see pics of your htop hitting that high without other processes running

Yet I haven't encountered it...

Only other program running is terminal. No extensions.

At least it doesn't take the entire desktop with it if something crashes.

a little bloated ? are you blind and stupid ?

>Just noticed that by default there are no thumbnails of video files either in Dolphin. Thunar had thumbnails.
You need to enable preview

Just took screenshot.
KDE is perfect

>like to shit on GNOME by saying it eats twice as much memory as KDE
>it's actually more than three times as much

This is the reason why I don't use GNOME. It looks nice and functions fine, but it's so heavy. I can't deal with my laptop's fans going off every couple of minutes. On i3wm I have zero issues and everything just werks.

Click Preview.

>GNOME is the only de that works the way it's supposed to
I guess I can't fault it if it's supposed to work like shit by design.

Gnome doesn't crash because you can't crash if there is nothing to crash

I don't know what a crash is or does, sorry.

Oh but it does.
If an extension breaks because of an update you'll get regular session crashes that you can't explain.

Funny thing is that all my extensions just add features that gnome removed.

>constantly crash
Lies
>glitch artifacts
Literally never happened to me
>more bloated
450MB RAM usage at boot is not bloated
What meme distro are you running?

get dash to dock for maximum comfy desu

>glitch artifacts
I've seen it too. Same with the calendar which pops up when you click the taskbar clock.

Scrolling through the Settings application will artifact text as well.

I think I'm going to get an AMD card to see if my issues get resolved before I revert to my XFCE image.

Ivane, molim te...

What else do you expect from Krash Desktop Environment?

Are you using nouveau or something? I remember seeing artifacts when I forgot to install proprietary drivers.
Otherwise I'm just gonna call bullshit until I see a screenshot.

I get artifacts on occasion from hovering. Somewhat hard to replicate.

>constant crashes
>more bloated
Outright false

>Nvidia

Still better than gnofeatures

click preview you stupid retard

Good for you. Stick with Gnome. Your problem is solved. Now post moar stupid bitchfest threads. No one here is going to fix KDE so snivelling here is useless. Get a Mac.

What do program crashes have to do with your DE?

My kde setup doesn't crash too often only when in doing something gpu intensive and try to open something heavy like chromium with a hundred tabs. Gnome and it's default application leak memory like fucking crazy. I've seen nattilus eat 3 gb before. I also think kde has vastly superior default apps compared to the other desktop besides Kmail and the organizer. The biggest issue I have is screen tearing on videos and I've gotten that on bugie and xfce too. So it's probably a Linux problem.

It's only a glitch when you first click it, it's not a persistent artifact.

I'm also using proprietary nVidia drivers.

I did. One directory level up it shows some file thumbnails inside the folder, but when I enter into the directory there are no thumbnails with the "preview" button clicked.

basically this, but it essentially paints over whatever you put your mouse over and doesn't go away.
Something similar happens when typing in the address bar.
Have tried both proprietary and free drivers and multiple fixes suggested by forum users.

>still no argument

gNOme uses all your computer while doing nothing.
OP is impressed when no crashes while doing nothing.

Does this only happen when you have mpv running fullscreen on another monitor? That happened to me until I told mpv to not try and bypass the compositor.

Yes, a little. Modern hardware is able to handle GNOME no problem. If you're using outdated hardware you shouldn't be using GNOME.

That's the exact kind of artifacting I saw with nouveau, but not with nvidia propretary.
Have you tried changing the rendering backend under settings>display and monitor > compositor.

>comparing the most complete DE to a minimal WM
Obviously there's going to be a massive difference???

>Have you tried changing the rendering backend under settings>display and monitor > compositor.
Yes, that was the first thing suggested to me actually I believe

XFCE, Mate, and LXDE worked fine as well. I have a laptop from 2010 with an i5 and 4GB of RAM. I just don't see why GNOME has to be so heavy for being so "minimal".

install this package, some distros do not install it by default

>"Gnofeatures more bloat!"

>a little
>three times heavier than the second heaviest DE

>3 times heavier
It's only about .75x heavier than my kde on my fedora install

Post pics. The pics already posted in here indicate 3x more RAM usage.

>on a fedora install
>only
Gnome is *only* about twice as heavy as KDE on a distro that favors Gnome

Wew

>get
regardless idk what you're trying to argue. I'm saying that it IS bloated, but if you're running modern hardware it doesn't matter.
Obviously I'd prefer them to slim it down, but I don't notice any real difference in speed when swapping between the 2.

gnome is pretty light on openSUSE. around 500-600Mib at idle and 800-900Mib with firefox open.

Doing memory intensive stuff sure is quicker when your system has a full gig more available though.

Forgot pic

Having more free ram doesn't make your processes go any faster though lol

GNOME crashed more on me in the week I tried using it, I've been using KDE for months without crashing.
Do not understand.

I said memory intensive stuff, aka stuff that will make your system swap.

gnome is designed for tablets only. kde is fine on everything.

Nice debloating effort. That's like posting debloated KDE and claiming it's lighter than XFCE by default though.

>mfw every goddamn distro with kde has some fucking issue that ruins everything for me

In openSUSE, systemd constantly fucks up shutdown and insists on fucking with my fstab file.
In Fedora, my monitor's refresh rate on native resolution is bugged to 40Hz.
Kubuntu is a massive bugfest and fuck discovery, same thing with Neon.
Mint fucking rapes batteries for some reason.
PCLinuxOS works, but you're in for a dickin' if something isn't in the package repo, which is about 50% of the time.
Can't even get it to work in Void, which isn't surprising given the fact the maintainer is a typical minimalist faggot.
The rest is either so fucking obscure it's useless or packages are running behind by a landslide.

I'm using KaOS now but it has the same refresh rate shit as Fedora had. Worse is that I kind find a solution to it.

Try Antergos or Manjaro, been running fine for ages for me now.

This happened to me so much
Not the reason I'm using windows, but fucning stupid

userbase.kde.org/File:Settings-default-applications.png

This is bullshit, of course.

Happened to me on fedora and debian

>every goddamn distro
>no arch
>not even arch-based distros
Arch is the best distro for KDE.

>> has crashed
That's all the proof I need, thanks man. Uninstalling KDE as we speak.

I'll try manjaro at some point. Do they still have that openrc iso?

Use Arch, seriously.

I have no idea, I use Antergos. I just see Manjaro recommended a lot as a slightly slower updated Arch. My system has actually broken a couple times thanks to nvidia driver updates, so Manjaro might be what you want.

>manjina

I see. I don't have nvidia to deal with so I guess I could try both.

>debloated KDE
Fatal error.