/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8JW0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517719029&sr=8-3&keywords=rca 3.5mm amazonbasics
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190
rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/stax-sr-003-mk1-electrostatic-in-ear.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dynamicucks be angry

I'm an Audio Technica shill.

Pleas buy Audio Technica products. Thanks.

Yo, my headphone amp only has RCA or whatever that microphone shit is for inputs (XLR?), should I buy a new soundcard that has RCA out or just get an external DAC?

I'm actually kind of tempted by the ATH-A990Z, but I need to scale back my purchases for a bit. I've still got things on the way to enjoy.

I would be too, it's the end of days for dynamic owners

Your soundcard has a lineout somewhere right? You can use the lineout with a 3.5mm jack on the soundcard side and RCA on the amp side.

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8JW0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517719029&sr=8-3&keywords=rca 3.5mm amazonbasics

I-i-i I actually have one of those cables. What the hell was I thinking. Thanks guys.

To the user that asked which amp I picked up for my stax, it was the SRM-1 MK 2.

can anyone tell me what's the use of this type of cable?

how are m40x? Do they sound garbage or actually okay for the price? I'm looking for something portable

I'm not an Audio Technica shill but I really like my can. The sound fit my taste perfectly as if they were made for me.

can you sleep with them?

Speakers cables.

but why would you need to connect RCA directly to a speaker?

Speaker cables, more specifically, RCA L/R to banana plugs Pos/Neg for L/R. Probably ~14-16 AWG thickness.

What do you think of the r70x?

RCA would be connected to the amp. The other side with those plugs you aren't used to seeing is that which connects to the speakers. You can use RCA cables on active monitor speakers though, to connect a dac to their built-in amp.

If you don't move while sleeping then yes. Actually I accidentally sleep with that on my head a few times.

I love Miku!

They sound good, though I personally I think they should be like 15 or 20 dollars cheaper.

Very good, but alas they are out of my price range.

Those unfaithful to best girls will be punished by the miku.

>I personally I think they should be like 15 or 20 dollars cheaper
I think they should came with 1.2m cable like M50x.

Oh, I thought that picture was yours and inferred you had a collection. I'm a bit interested in the r70x but still hesitating before pulling the trigger. I've enjoyed the ad500x greatly as a sample of their open lines, but I'm refusing to spend more on the AD series because fuck unremoveable cables.

Is it fine to wash my HD600 earpads by submerging them in warm water? I thought they would be fine but they seem delicate and I saw like 2 people saying they fucked them up (but they used soap). Can anyone confirm it's fine before I fuck them up?

just buy new pads my dude

Have the A990z. They are my daily. I would of gotten the r70x over it had saved up and didn't actually need a pair of closed backs. R70x Has removable cables.

Why do you want to wash them? I doubt it's good for the foam to get them wet.

It would be a good idea to put new caps in it.

How do you like those A990z's, just based on sound? I've already got a similar older pair with the whole wing setup and fixed cable.

What are the IBM-era thinkpads of headphones?

I want them to last 20 years.

Thanks, never knew about this obscure cheap brand. Guess that M50X should be a great buy for an audiophile like me.

STAX. 30-40 year old pairs still work and are often sold for $200-$300.

Beyer DT 100 (don't bother)

There's almost no headphones that can last 20 years without something to fix about them. People who have treated their HD600 well have seen the headband still crack after a decade. (but an entire decade of daily use).

DT770 are physically superior to most other headphones in the market at that price range, but they can suffer solder issues that stops sound coming to one of the drivers and the cable is not removeable, which is a minus if you're not good with a soldering iron. physically speaking though they are TANKS, with an indestructible, spring metal headband.

Be careful with that survivor bias. The pairs that are 40years old were probably not pairs that were used as intensively as the pairs owned by people of our generation who spend 8h in front of a computer with cans on their head all day long.

>the best selling brand in japan
>obscure

>Be careful with that survivor bias
it's called STAX bias and it is a wonderful feeling

>implying it's not marketed that way

I love them and I don't even like most closed backs. Been using them literally everyday since 2016, I change the pads on them though. I didn't like the stock pads.

I had Phillips 9500s (they suck imo), and AD700/1000s years ago.

>STAX
Limp dick bass impact and rollercoaster treble response.

>d770
The plastic looks so fragile I can see it snap-off already.

Should I buy Shure SRH840? Is there a better alternative in that price range?

That chart is 13 dB off at 3 kHz.

Sweet, thanks for the impression! My old ATH-A700's pads have been molting for years, I'll probably end up replacing them with the ATH-A990Z at some point (the A700 is pretty anemic on the low end and has terrible isolation for a closed set, but those mids...).

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
Fill out the template.

gimbals are steel you nerd

The wing system is just wonderful. I've heard people having issue with that, I guess it depends on head shape, but they fit mine just perfectly and it feels like you have nothing on your head.
They really need to start integrating removeable cables in the AD and A lines. This is the only thing I can fault.

It really isn't. Most actual studio headphones, the ones used by a large amount of people who do tracking and monitoring tend to be quite sturdy.

Shure have a higher tendency to break on their plastic bits than any other headphones in the price range, they are the exception.

Lmao, keep fighting, cuckboy

The plastic hinges with L and R do crack and break

Beyer don't have a reputation among studio people to do this all the time.

>Shure SRH840

Welcome to snap-city.

You have to work at it to cause it to happen on a beyer. Comparatively, on a Shure, it is not "will it happen" but "when will it happen".

what's up chingus looking to upgrade from ipod nano ear buds I was thinking about these how am i doing???

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

What'd you just call me?

>being so desperate you have to compare your headphone to stax IEMs to make them look good

That STAX IEM probably still sounds better than the HD600. Graphs can only tell you so much, but upon listening - it becomes clear: dynamiclets literally cannot compete.

I specifically bought AD1000s after buying the AD700s, thinking they would have more bass. There was "more" of it but hardly what I really wanted. Sold it after like 3 years of on/off use.

The 990z got plenty of bass. Isolation is alright once the music gets going but not as good as m40xs if i recall correctly.

Wing system works for me too, but i changed the pads which sort of helps stay on better. I've been thinking of hacking these up and putting a removable cable once i get a solder kit and have money for another pair of headphones.

Plus using a website that has a unique compensation curve not used by anyone else that was built entirely around the HD600. You will never see such flat treble on the HD600 when using any other compensation curve.
GE is full of shit.

That is a very typical STAX frequency response, even for their full-sized offerings.
>b-but muh plankton

Better review:

rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/stax-sr-003-mk1-electrostatic-in-ear.html

>fuck GE's professional equipment, have this random blogger's measurement using a Jamal-rigged homemade dummy head instead because it better fits my desired narrative
Pathetic.

Are the Sony MDR7506 and MDR-V6 really that reliable or are they just a meme?

>no detachable cable

There is a serious query as to your literacy and judgment if this is your response.

Why's the Sennfag so determined on defending his headphone? It's a $300 piece of mid-fi plastic

You've gone off the deep end with your projection. You are the using a cherry picked hd600 measurement against a fucking IEM

my sides I cant

Extremely reliable (but would need resoldering of cable if you break it) the question is though, do you want a tanky headphone with piercing treble? MDRv6 treble is no joke. No joke. Well, the DT770 doesn't joke around either. It's not just frequency response stuff, it's ringing. Much ringing.

this autist doesn't even own the HD600
trust me senpai

Recently bought a pair of these after looking for some decent IEMs that would be comfortable, relatively cheap (got 'em for 89$~) and have some decent sound quality.

They definitely have a V-shape response to them which is really nice for the types of stuff I listen to, they're super comfortable for long periods of time and the braided cabling for them is really nice, doesn't tangle and doesn't feel cheap at all.

Comes with a ton of size gels to fit your ears, the carrying case is whatever.

Definitely recommend buying them if anyone is looking for some ~100$ IEMs.

how is the soundstage? multiple drivers always seemed gimmicky

The virgin STAX:
- Has limp dick bass impact;
- Has tinny 1-2 kHz midrange emphasis;
- Has rollercoaster treble response.
The chad HD600:
- Has robust, puissant bass response;
- Has euphonic, pellucid midrange response;
- Has tralucent, dulcet treble response.

@64592346
if only you owned headphones

The base has a little punch to it, super bass-heavy stuff maybe won't hit what you want but I don't listen to a ton of electro/dubstep/moombah/whatever anymore so it wasn't a huge concern. The mids are fairly well defined and the high end is clear without being tinny.

Super happy for

@64592346
You already tried this last thread

No (You) for (You)

>the hd600 owner tries to meme but can only project

He lives a sad life, he has no headphones and now you're taking away his (You)s as well.

coming from MDRV6s should my first planar purchase be the oppo pm3s? I've had these headphones for 4 years, I've added zmf sheepskin earpads to them. Only thing that worries me is the non replaceable earpads on the pm3s, should I go with zmf classics instead?

PM3s have very small earcups and the pleather peels after a few years. T50 mods aren't "really" planars because their drivers are so small.
If you want a good planar, be prepared to spend around $600 for a used LCD-2 or $800 for an Aeon closed.

Out of curiosity, which pads did you switch to?

>(don't bother)
why? they look like a fucking tank and are not that expensive

Is there anything more reliable than the ATH-M50x before I fall for them?

I looked into the DT770 but they don't have a detachable cable.

Because they're from a time when people didn't even have a concept of sound being good or bad.

Takstar Pro 82, especially comfort-wise.

ATH-M40x

Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpad. The Non angled ones. They are a bitch to get on.

Got them before Brainwavz XL pads were available. So you may want to try those instead.

Thanks!

I don't care about comfort just reliability. Is this a new product? I'm hardly finding any reviews.

Like all chinese headphones at budget prices they won't last more than a year or two. Heck, even ChiFiMan's $400 offerings have difficulty lasting that long.

It came out sometime in 2017. That other user is full of shit, there haven't been any reports of them breaking.

>It came out sometime in 2017. That other user is full of shit, there haven't been any reports of them breaking.

Well no shit they haven't existed for even a year. Call me back later.

M50x are made in China too. Who cares. You're not helping anyone.

I'd like my headphones to last at least 5 years, you can't tell how long the new product will last.

5 years for a $60 headphone is asking a lot

Sorry for no template but I'd rather keep this very specific as I already have some idea.

I've been eyeing off the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro (250ohm) for a while now.

>I listen to all kinds of music but mainly hip hop and metal
>I keep the headphones for extended periods of time
>I will occasionally plug these headphones directly into my line 6 guitar amp (15W) to play quietly

I was looking at also pairing it with an audio engine d1 amp/dac.

I MAY take the headphones out very occasionally if my phone can power it (I assume it will be okayish)

I'm Australian and I can tell you that this duo will cost me about $470 AUD maybe max of 500 TOTAL.

Now all things considered does anyone here have any problems with my intentions? Why? Can you suggest alternatives.

Also on a side note. Another reason for the amp/dac choice is because I would further like to pair that with the "Audioengine 5+ Premium Powered Speakers" later this year.
Good idea or nah.

Everything will be at my desk hooked up to pc btw.

Cheers and sorry for lengthy read.

Then don't suggest a $60 chink-shit when I'm asking for something reliable.

>made in China
This is not about where it is made but the amount of QC and the quality of the design of the hinges and overall build. Chinese brands don't build things that last and that goes for a majority of products. Thinkpad are an exception and that's because Lenovo inherited it from IBM and all tweaks to the line were for the worse like the new horrid keyboards. The other Lenovo laptop lines are utter crap.

>I keep the headphones ON for extended periods of time****

80ohm is substantially less shrill with more bass.